• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |Review Thread|

While you're both right, it's still a pretty minor inconvenience and you still have access to your footage pretty damn easily. Share/Shadowplay are 'good enough' for an otherwise niche feature.

Sure, it's no big deal by any means. Just nice to have. I appreciate it when a game features it and I use it a lot in Rev 2, for instance.

Disappointed to hear they dropped the ball with their tutorial offerings. I thought with all the time between arcade and console release they would've had time to really flesh that out. Still getting this regardless!

RM8

Not that I wasn't aware, but it's just hitting me that a new non Tag Tekken is almost here and I'm more hyped than for any other game this year :3 Bad loading times suck, but it should be much better on PC just like with SFV, MKX, etc.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Any news on how good is the pc port?

From the other thread

If anyone here is concerned about the quality of the PC port, I can confirm that Tekken 7 on PC is perfect. I have concerns about the online portion of the game due to the player base, but IMO this is the best version of the game by far.

Here's a video if you are interested in hearing my impressions of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1p3NTwdzB4&feature=youtu.be

On a separate note: does anyone have any guides for this game? I'd love to learn how to play it but I can't find any useful tutorials online. I don't care if it's written or in video form, I just want to learn!

KodaRuss

I have always been a Tekken fan but never have been extremely hardcore about it. I want to get this but damn I just dont have time for it right now.

A bare bones tutorial in 2017 is inexcusable. No tutorial at all is unbelievable. Sigh.

Preach! It's been almost 8 years since Tekken 6. There is a whole new generation of players who will be supper hyped to jump into Tekken for the first time and it's a damn shame that such a legendary series doesn't see a need to teach these news players.

After hearing that there isn't a good on boarding process for new players, I think I'm going to cancel my preorder. I don't think I have time to figure this game out on my own, especially because I haven't played Tekken since 3.

After hearing that there isn't a good on boarding process for new players, I think I'm going to cancel my preorder. I don't think I have time to figure this game out on my own, especially because I haven't played Tekken since 3.

While the lack of a tutorial mode is super frustrating, they did make a website with a bunch of video tutorials.

http://tk7.tekken.com/guides

It's no substitute for the mode but at least we don't have to waist time search forums and YouTube for good teaching videos during the launch.

No tutorial mode seems like a big omission.
Also no replays? That's pretty baffling, if true.
I hope they patch that stuff in, later on.

This is quite odd in particular to me. The Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Combot Training, while not perfect by any means (and certainly not enough to jump online), taught the bare fundamentals of the game quite well. That it doesn't seem to have something like that but even less comprehensive is quite strange. There are guides online certainly, but something in the game just to make it somewhat more accessible to new players wouldn't go astray.

MrS

Banned
Was able to beat a few bums online earlier before the MLG gang get the game. Feels good man.

ec0ec0

They really NEED a tutorial.

Some of these poor reviewers are completely lost.

i wonder, do fighting game developers really, for the whole duration of development, never stop for a moment to think "hey, about all this awesome characters and mechanics that we have spent all the last years making... how are people going to figure out all this stuff!?"

and this is in a word were Arc System Works has been making in-game tutorials that take care of everything...

I mean, for years now, blazblue has had, a beginner, an intermediate, an advanced and an expert tutorial (all fully voiced) that cover all the game mechanics. That's hours worth of content. Then you have a tutorial for each character that explains the character's mechanics (drive and special moves) and also its general strategy (moves to use, mix-ups, anti airs, reversals,...). Finally, you can try combo challenges with said character.

If the developer doesn't take care of all that, their work goes to waste, as, even though they may have put a lot of work into the game, the player is going to miss most of it. In the end, it devaluates their game.

Anyway, this is a review thread, reviews should crush fighting games releasing in 2017 without an awesome training mode.

chemicals

AMAZING SCORES! I have always LOVED Tekken since the first game.

Are the stars in some sort of alignment? so many devs putting out so many high scoring games!!! (Zelda BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, etc) I don't think the industry has ever been so blessed with talent like it is right now. Bravo guys.

The scores and reviews seem fair, though none of them that I've read mention the missing standard Tekken modes (Team Battle, Survival, Time Attack, + Force/Ball/Bowl) or missing longstanding characters like Lei and the Changs. Big omission to not mention these things IMO; if I was a longtime player with no other knowledge of T7, I'd assume reading these reviews that this stuff was in the game.

Shoryuken said:
There is a questionable omission, however: there is no replay feature at all. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that PlayStation 4s and Xbox Ones have their own native capture, and PC players can obviously run OBS if they wanted, but it's still a surprising exclusion, since ultimately it means you won't get to see other people play via their own replays.

Wait, is this saying that there's no way to save online battles a la Tekken 6? This is a big loss for me if true. I used that feature often to study my weaknesses and mistakes. I guess we can capture video on the PS4, but that's a clumsy solution.

cordy

Banned
AMAZING SCORES! I have always LOVED Tekken since the first game.

Are the stars in some sort of alignment? so many devs putting out so many high scoring games!!! (Zelda BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, etc) I don't think the industry has ever been so blessed with talent like it is right now. Bravo guys.

2017 is really becoming a beast for videogames.

I know I'm a little late here, but there's no tutorial mode, like at all? Not even like at the beginning of the story mode or...anything? That is truly crazy to me.

Steiner

Banned
My review for WWG / Comicbook. (4.5 / 5)

We're going to make like a Mishima, and get straight to the point. Tekken 7 is every bit the game that long-time Tekken fans have been waiting for. It offers exciting new takes on classic characters, brilliantly detailed new stages, meaningful gameplay evolutions and, most importantly, it strikes a near-perfect balance between accessibility and complexity.

In my Injustice 2 review I mentioned that the game nearly succeeds in being all things to all people. Tekken 7 doesn't do that. This is for Tekken players, and damn if it isn't the best Tekken game we could have hoped for. A few rough edges and disruptive new mechanics aside, I think this is going to go down as one of the all-time greats in the series as well as the genre. Buckle in, and buckle down; Tekken is back.

Still not sure how I feel about Power Crush, which is basically the Focus Attacks from Street Fighter IV. I'm worried the online community is going to knee-jerk adapt to play overly defensively and it's going to get really annoying and stifle aggression. We'll see.

Shaneus

I haven't played a Tekken for ages. Safe to say it's less technical than most other fighters? My arcade stick needs to take a good beating, but not in a skillful, coordinated way.

ZeroX03

Banned
I haven't played a Tekken for ages. Safe to say it's less technical than most other fighters? My arcade stick needs to take a good beating, but not in a skillful, coordinated way.

Less complicated execution, but longer/more memory intensive.

cordy

Banned
My review for WWG / Comicbook. (4.5 / 5)

Still not sure how I feel about Power Crush, which is basically the Focus Attacks from Street Fighter IV. I'm worried the online community is going to knee-jerk adapt to play overly defensively and it's going to get really annoying and stifle aggression. We'll see.

Dope review!

MrS

Banned
Scores are too high imo. Yes the fighting is good but the lack of modes is shockingly bad.

Scores are too high imo. Yes the fighting is good but the lack of modes is shockingly bad.

What a world we live in. After 20 years of being way ahead of the curve by including tons of supplemental content with nearly every entry it has finally started to fall behind in that respect. I wish I could find a exact quote but Ed Boon has definitely mentioned in interviews that Tekken has been a hugely influential series for the MK team starting with the MK team's PS2 era games. Tekken was a big part of why the MK team started adding tons of supplemental modes and content to their games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ignoring / avoiding players in Ranked Match ?? Man, that sounds awful. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose who not to fight.

Being able to block wifi users with crap ass connections sounds like a great thing to me.

Top Bottom