• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |Review Thread|

Tyaren

Scores are too high imo. Yes the fighting is good but the lack of modes is shockingly bad.

If you take a look at its overall ranking over on Metacritic (81) and Opencritic (80), you'll find that the scores aren't actually that high.
Injustice 2 stays with a 88 score the best reviewed fighter this generation.( Lol, had to check a couple of fighting games to see if that was actually true. ;))

If you take a look at its overall ranking over on Metacritic (81) and Opencritic (80), you'll find that the scores aren't actually that high.
Injustice 2 stays with a 88 score the best reviewed fighter this generation.( Lol, had to check a couple of fighting games to see if that was actually true. ;))

...with the shittiest gameplay out of all of them, and only shows how shallow the reviews are. Don't get me wrong tho, the point is to have fun. But if gameplay can only take you so far in a review... I dunno, I'm at a loss for words. Tekken games have always been great, but if a good story mode, core essential modes that support competitive play and tons of customization options can't get you higher than injustice then that's messed up. Just my opinion

BigEmil

I like that you can earn so much of the costume customisations quick and easy. Unlike SFV you pretty much have to pay for costumes in really expensive dlc prices, fight money so little not worth it. They should do treasure battle in SFV too but Capcom wouldn't do that..

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Pleasantly surprised to see such good scores, the last time Tekken was this well received was probably Tekken 3, great to see!

Not really.

This is scoring on par with Tekken 6 and Tag 2. Slightly above Tekken 4. Tekken 5 and its versions were received better, and Tekken 3 is one of the highest scoring games of all time (30th on Metacritic).

Then again, GTAIV is still 4th highest, so what do reviewers know?

Kashiwaba

I like that you can earn so much of the costume customisations quick and easy. Unlike SFV you pretty much have to pay for costumes in really expensive dlc prices, fight money so little not worth it. They should do treasure battle in SFV too but Capcom wouldn't do that..
Fight money unlock characters and stages in SFV though ;0.

...with the shittiest gameplay out of all of them, and only shows how shallow the reviews are. Don't get me wrong tho, the point is to have fun. But if gameplay can only take you so far in a review... I dunno, I'm at a loss for words. Tekken games have always been great, but if a good story mode, core essential modes that support competitive play and tons of customization options can't get you higher than injustice then that's messed up. Just my opinion
Well, people seem to really enjoy it, and it's hard to deny the effort they've put into​ it.

But the FG genre is ultimately down to personal preference, like preferring PES over FIFA even though the latter has more modes and licenses.

I'd rather have an extremely bare-bones GG Xrd than spend a second playing Injustice or KI.

Doesn't make these reviews any less valid.

Injustice 2 has shitty gameplay? LOL
I2 earned it's score.

BigEmil

Fight money unlock characters and stages in SFV though ;0.
I just talked about that in the quote you posted :p

The way you earn costumes in Tekken is much more quicker and easier than grinding fight money in SFV. You can even win multiple costume parts in a game mode but nothing like that in SFV

SarusGray

Pleasantly surprised to see such good scores, the last time Tekken was this well received was probably Tekken 3, great to see!

y'all need to take off them rose colored glasses lol.... I'm a huge tekken fan but this game isn't as well received as tekken 3. NOT EVEN CLOSE Lmao.

Also everyones acting like injustice 2 has the worst fighting mechanics, yeah no its, fine, it gets the job done, but the content it provides alone is enough bang for your mulah.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Just for comparison they gave SF V launch version a 7.5.

The text however is hilarious.

''Street Fighter V employs complex and engaging mechanics, but it lacks enough content to keep the casual player interested.''

Different people. If you read the Tekken 7 review, the guy is a long time Tekken fan who was let down. Honestly, I agree with most of it, though I think he's a little too hard on the graphics and makes a few inflammatory statements.

Kashiwaba

I just talked about that in the quote you posted :p

The way you earn costumes in Tekken is much more quicker and easier than grinding fight money in SFV. You can even win multiple costume parts in a game mode but nothing like that in SFV
As i said SFV FM have some real money value and really it's not that much grinding anymore they are giving it left and right now if you play the game on weekly​ bases, but the fight money in tekken 7 is worth nothing since all what you can unlock with it have to be unlocked with fight money only.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That 9.5 from IGN will get this game some sales. A lot of people exclusively go to IGN for game reviews. Not metacritic or any of these other sites.

I guess they figured there were a billion YouTube tutorials already.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ_c060pen1u8uRQIhxcn0C2nL7qL18IM

Thanks for the link. I'll need all the help I can get. Videos are still no substitute for a proper tutorial mode though, especially when other games on the market have demonstrated what a great tutorial mode looks like. Tekken 7 has been in the arcades for two years now. The base game was done. They had two years to work on the console version and decided a tutorial wasn't worth it. It just come across as either daft or lazy. I'm still supper jazzed to play it but this really annoys me as newcomer to Tekken.

SarusGray

That 9.5 from IGN will get this game some sales. A lot of people exclusively go to IGN for game reviews. Not metacritic or any of these other sites.

Maybe until they realize the online portion allows you to reject matches which = a lot of dodging from players and the ranked match portion being bogus since you can literally grind your way to a promotion, even if you lose. Also no ingame replays. Tekken 6 literally had this.

I'm appalled Tekken 7 still does not have an in-game tutorial, in game frame data, and replays as well as its most basic modes. smh

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow that is one seriously cranky and jaded reviewer. IGN nearly gives it a 10 and this guy gives it a 6.

Or maybe IGN is being extremely hyperbolic? I'm excited for the game, but what I am reading about the supplementary features aren't sounding too wonderful.

Videos are still no substitute for a proper tutorial mode, especially when other games on the market have demonstrated what a great tutorial mode looks like. Tekken 7 has been in the arcades for two years now. The base game was done. They had two years to work on the console version and decided a tutorial wasn't worth it. It just come across as either daft or lazy. I'm still supper jazzed to play it but this really annoys me as newcomer to Tekken.

Fully agree, but a more logical excuse is that Bamco just kept the purse strings extremely tight and the limited resources were focused on other priorities. I'd first look to the ones authorizing the budget ahead of calling the devs "lazy or daft".

SarusGray

Wow that is one seriously cranky and jaded reviewer. IGN nearly gives it a 10 and this guy gives it a 6.

how is someone being jaded if they didn't see what the 10 scorer saw? I would give the last guardian a 10 while my friend would give it a 5. Doesn't mean he's jaded lol.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maybe until they realize the online portion allows you to reject matches which = a lot of dodging from players and the ranked match portion being bogus since you can literally grind your way to a promotion, even if you lose. Also no ingame replays. Tekken 6 literally had this.

I'm appalled Tekken 7 still does not have an in-game tutorial, in game frame data, and replays as well as its most basic modes. smh

The proper tutorial mode and in game frame data is mostly frustrating because we have games from 5 years of more in the genre including this and this big franchise doesnt bother to add to what will help more people get into it without having them browsing the internet for the data they need and tutorial videos from different sources.

The people that read an IGN review to see if they should buy a new Tekken aren't the same players that will get rejected in ranked matches.

Ferrio

Banned
No, but they've got example juggles in the move list. Good for practice mode.

Okay good enough, just wanted to make sure there were some samples that I could get a general idea. I'm fine going outside the game for anything more indepth.

The people that read an IGN review to see if they should buy a new Tekken aren't the same players that will get rejected in ranked matches.

No, they're the ones rejecting.

SarusGray

The proper tutorial mode and in game frame data is mostly frustrating because we have games from 5 years of more in the genre including this and this big franchise doesnt bother to add to what will help more people get into it without having them browsing the internet for the data they need and tutorial videos from different sources.

I seriously LOVE Tekken, it invigorated the 3d fighting game genre. But to see them not even include the fundamental basics in a fighting game is extremely frustrating to me. It all feels almost rushed. They had hit analysis way before many other fighting games, sample combos, command menus with demos, I don't know why they dropped the ball so hard on Tekken 7. Do they not care about the casual audience or the audience that's not willing to have to hop on a tekken fan site or youtube to look up juggles and the meanings of certain tekken fighting techniques? ZZzzzz

cordy

Banned
I wouldn't stress over that review. It's 1 person and everybody's got a different option. If that's what they feel then that's what they feel.

I have found some extra ones that need to go up though.

Comicbook.com - 4.5/5

TrustedReviews.com - 4/5
Siriusgaming.info - 9.5/10

Idigitimes - 4/5

A lot of people in this thread keep getting onto these reviewers having different opinions and not only that, they're asking a lot of questions, saying a lot of things, that have been explained to them in other threads. Either way, just because some see it as a 9.5 doesn't mean they're wrong, you don't get it because your opinion isn't something they view. At the end of the day that's something people won't get because the same people questioning that are the same people that don't understand why people are paying full price for this game and see that it's worth it.

It's really mind blowing how the scores are similar to SFV when clearly it has way, WAY more content off the bat than that game and still has a classic Tekken fighting system to it. And that CGMagazine review has some serious jadedness to it. Holy shit.

Funny how EGMNOW complains about lack of content, when they gave SFV a higher score...

SarusGray

It's really mind blowing how the scores are similar to SFV when clearly it has way, WAY more content off the bat than that game and still has a classic Tekken fighting system to it. And that CGMagazine review has some serious jadedness to it. Holy shit.

Street Fighter 5 released a year before Injustice 2 and Tekken 7. Before, we had no idea what to expect for a next gen fighter. This doesn't excuse SFV content BUT you'd think we'd see a vast improvement in Tekken 7 after a year of learning from the mistakes of Street Fighter. I believe reviewers were more lenient towards SFV. NOW Injustice 2 remedied the single player and content empty problem by incorporating a great story mode and highly replayable mode. It has replay, frame data, tutorials etc. Showing it is very possible to have an amazing single player campaign.

Tekken 7 is probably getting docked with this in mind.

Kashiwaba

Street Fighter 5 released a year before Injustice 2 and Tekken 7. Before, we had no idea what to expect for a next gen fighter. This doesn't excuse SFV content BUT you'd think we'd see a vast improvement in Tekken 7 after a year of learning from the mistakes of Street Fighter. I believe reviewers were more lenient towards SFV. NOW Injustice 2 remedied the single player and content empty problem by incorporating a great story mode and highly replayable mode. Showing it is very possible to have an amazing single player campaign.

Tekken 7 is probably getting docked with this in mind.
Not to mention Tekken 7 has been out for two years in the arcade, so Bamco finished the gameplay 2 years ago and had all this time to work on the extra contents while for sfv that was the first release.

Fredrik

how is someone being jaded if they didn't see what the 10 scorer saw? I would give the last guardian a 10 while my friend would give it a 5. Doesn't mean he's jaded lol.
Have you read the review? In my opinion he simply sounds like a jaded reviewer on a bad mood. Cranky old gamer that don't really like games anymore but it's his job so "whatever give me the game and I'll review it." . He try to convince the reader that he is a long time Tekken fan, maybe he was at some point but he sure doesn't sound like one today. The talk about the story and other extras is just not what Tekken has been about. Some releases has had ton of extra content but most Tekken fans play Tekken for the gameplay and awesome fighting mechanics, the rest is bonuses. A big story mode is great but personally I don't need 2 hours of movie sequences or something like that, I'd just be annoyed at it and start skipping them to be honest. Nah, for single player, just give me the pre-fight one-liners and ending sequences and let me unlock something at the end and I'll be perfectly happy as long as they haven't completely destroyed the fighting mechanics (which they don't seem to have done this time).

cordy

Banned

Funny how EGMNOW complains about lack of content, when they gave SFV a higher score...

Nahhhhhhhhhh, I'm not surprised about scores. In general, Tekken's the higher game score-wise overall. Idk why some people are even comparing this to SFV when it's not a SFV situation. It's like I said earlier, people these days go by the "it's either trash or it's amazing if not the best ever" ideology. People don't speak on that middle portion which is where Tekken is mode-wise. It's sad but that's true. It's the "this album is trash or the greatest album" thing going on with albums.

That's the way a lot of people's minds are designed these days. It's the same reason why a lot of people get disappointed when they see a game's an 8/10. It's funny.

sarcoa

Have you read the review? In my opinion he simply sounds like a jaded reviewer on a bad mood. Cranky old gamer that don't really like games anymore but it's his job so "whatever give me the game and I'll review it." . He try to convince the reader that he is a long time Tekken fan, maybe he was at some point but he sure doesn't sound like one today.
Please write more jaded reviewer archetype fanfic.

SarusGray

Have you read the review? In my opinion he simply sounds like a jaded reviewer on a bad mood. Cranky old gamer that don't really like games anymore but it's his job so "whatever give me the game and I'll review it." . He try to convince the reader that he is a long time Tekken fan, maybe he was at some point but he sure doesn't sound like one today. The talk about the story and other extras is just not what Tekken has been about. Some releases has had ton of extra content but most Tekken fans play Tekken for the gameplay and awesome fighting mechanics, the rest is bonuses. A big story mode is great but personally I don't need 2 hours of movie sequences or something like that, I'd just be annoyed at it and start skipping them to be honest. Nah, for single player, just give me the pre-fight one-liners and ending sequences and let me unlock something at the end and I'll be perfectly happy as long as they haven't completely destroyed the fighting mechanics (which they don't seem to have done this time).

Games change overtime, Tekken innovated and was the headliner in fighting games for doing so many different things in the past. Now its merely focusing on its core gameplay which actually hasn't changed that much compared to its predecessors to warrant its long delay in reaching consoles. I'd be fine if it released earlier, but the delay did not warrant anything since the modes are lacking, tutorial is lacking, character stories are lacking etc. These are all integral in today's gaming climate, as shown with the success of NRS games, who innovated by creating a compelling interactive storyline. While they may not be for you, new players aren't going to flock to the tekken website to learn all the logistics if it isn't laid out for them in game itself (which honestly should be a damn staple, shame on you harada)

The fighting mechanic is great in Tekken 7, its Tekken 6 with a fresh coat of paint and the removal of bound and the addition of other small mechanics. But Tekken was never poor in that aspect, nor was it in the abundance of modes it offered for single players, Look at how Tekken 5 and Tekken 3 reviewed. Now look at Tekken 6. Reviewed much poorer than Tekken 5 and Tekken 3. Has more content than Tekken 7. Now look at Tekken 7, has less content than Tekken 6, but plays better than it. You're suppose to build up not build down. But I'm guessing that's what the season pass is for....

All I wanted from Tekken is its staples. The staple modes. And when they went in on story mode, I WANTED THEM TO GO IN! I WAS ROOTING FOR THEM. INSTEAD we get a half ass story mode with a random narrator and more static images than cutscenes actual times, having the whole roster involved in someways, being able to affect the story line or change it in some aspect. The character episode one fights are the epitome of lazy writing, and I know Tekken is known for joke endings, but these endings are one of the worse in the series, and after waiting nearly 10 years for the next mainline tekken staple, the endings are worse, modes have been removed, story is atrocious, and the fighting is very similar to its predecessor which is what tekken has always been known for and good at.

Fighting is definitely the most important part in a fighting game, but god damn you've nearly mastered the genre already, invigorate the other parts of the game, you've had the gameplay done 2 years ago, why do we not have a tutorial? A ingame frame data? Survival Mode? Team battle? Replays? Why did customizations become worse since Tekken 6?

I'm ranting a lot and should get back to work but TLDR:Game should've released much earlier.

jett

D-Member

But it's a terrible Tekken game, because there's practically nothing else going on here outside of online and a compost pile of a story mode.

This sounds dangerously close to Street Fighter V. In fact you could exchange the word Tekken in there with SFV and nobody would be none the wiser. I'm not getting SFV'd again, I think I'm going to wait and see what's the word on the street. I wonder if story mode is really that bad.

Fully agree, but a more logical excuse is that Bamco just kept the purse strings extremely tight and the limited resources were focused on other priorities. I'd first look to the ones authorizing the budget ahead of calling the devs "lazy or daft".

I'll agree that calling them "lazy" was out of line due to the sheer amount of polish this game has from what I've seen and played. I still think it was a daft decision to exclude a tutorial mode and I don't really buy the tight budget theory. But yeah, I don't have access to their budget so I could be mistaken.

Those are no where near the level of hype for Tekken or Street Fighter. Besides mortal kombat.

You can argue that Tekken isn't "anywhere near the hype" of Street Fighter, which is why SFV was forgiven more despite being a much worse offering.

USF2 exists for a reason.

JusDoIt

Fighting games being criticized for a lack of single player content, while Overwatch gets (well deserved) praise with even less single player content is so baffling to me.

SarusGray

You can argue that Tekken isn't "anywhere near the hype" of Street Fighter, which is why SFV was forgiven more despite being a much worse offering.

USF2 exists for a reason.

the point being, SFV was forgiven by many reviewers for some reason we aren't sure of when it was severely lacking in the content department. But now SOME reviewers aren't standing for that now in regards to Tekken 7. While others are focusing on the gameplay aspect of Tekken, which has always been top notch.

Fighting games being criticized for a lack of single player content, while Overwatch gets (well deserved) praise with even less single player content is so baffling to me.

Overwatch is a multiplayer shooter that you can hop on and play immediately with friends with a very vibrant online community. Tekken is MUCH more nuanced where if you hopped online, you'd get your ass whooped if you're expecting to button mash to a victory. Fighters=/=shooters should never be compared.

What injustice 2 tried doing with lootboxes similar to Overwatch is pretty interesting to say the least though.

Vice

the point being, SFV was forgiven by many reviewers for some reason we aren't sure of when it was severely lacking in the content department. But now SOME reviewers aren't standing for that now in regards to Tekken 7. While others are focusing on the gameplay aspect of Tekken, which has always been top notch.
SFV is sitting at a 77% on metacritic and many of the reviews mention the lack of content.

Top Bottom