• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |Review Thread|

jett

D-Member
Fighting games being criticized for a lack of single player content, while Overwatch gets (well deserved) praise with even less single player content is so baffling to me.

Is Overwatch a 20+ year-old franchise with certain single-player expectations?

You're comparing apples and oranges. And online fighting is definitely not for everyone. 1v1 online can be a much more frustrating affair than the team-based play of Overwatch.

SarusGray

SFV is sitting at a 77% on metacritic and many of the reviews mention the lack of content.

It shouldn't be a 77% lol. At release that score still stands to me a ridiculous score. Now I see it as a 77% with its roster and that thing you call a story mode.

Vice

It shouldn't be a 77% lol. At release that score still stands to me a ridiculous score. Now I see it as a 77% with its roster and that thing you call a story mode.
You said SFV was forgiven for lack of content and some are calling Tekken out for it's apparent lack of content. But, that isn't what happened. It reviewed worse than MKX(83 on MC) and Xrd Sign (84 on MC) and one of the common complaints was a lack of things to do in the game. SFV reviewed worse than the big next gen fighters preceding it and the ones after.

You said SFV was forgiven for lack of content and some are calling Tekken out for it's apparent lack of content. But, that isn't what happened. It reviewed worse than MKX(83 on MC) and Xrd Sign (84 on MC) and one of the common complaints was a lack of things to do in the game. SFV reviewed worse than the big next gen fighters preceding it and the ones after.

If a fighting game that wasn't street fighter branded, released a game like SFV it would have been blasted to the 30s.

SarusGray

It should've reviewed much worse is what I'm saying. 77 was forgiving. Extremely. Forgiving.

cordy

Banned
Is Overwatch a 20+ year-old franchise with certain single-player expectations?

You're comparing apples and oranges. And online fighting is definitely not for everyone. 1v1 online can be a much more frustrating affair than the team-based play of Overwatch.

Tbh...

Does this mean GTA games need to be marked off for things you can do in some that you can't do in others?

This whole argument is subjective in gaming in general. There's not one direct answer, it depends on the person as that's an opinion.

Do we know if there is a VS CPU/single match against the AI option? As in, choose your fighter, choose your opponent, choose your arena, and play one match like that? Thanks.

Fredrik

Please write more jaded reviewer archetype fanfic.
Nah that should be enough.

Games change overtime, Tekken innovated and was the headliner in fighting games for doing so many different things in the past. Now its merely focusing on its core gameplay which actually hasn't changed that much compared to its predecessors to warrant its long delay in reaching consoles. I'd be fine if it released earlier, but the delay did not warrant anything since the modes are lacking, tutorial is lacking, character stories are lacking etc. These are all integral in today's gaming climate, as shown with the success of NRS games, who innovated by creating a compelling interactive storyline. While they may not be for you, new players aren't going to flock to the tekken website to learn all the logistics if it isn't laid out for them in game itself (which honestly should be a damn staple, shame on you harada)

The fighting mechanic is great in Tekken 7, its Tekken 6 with a fresh coat of paint and the removal of bound and the addition of other small mechanics. But Tekken was never poor in that aspect, nor was it in the abundance of modes it offered for single players, Look at how Tekken 5 and Tekken 3 reviewed. Now look at Tekken 6. Reviewed much poorer than Tekken 5 and Tekken 3. Has more content than Tekken 7. Now look at Tekken 7, has less content than Tekken 6, but plays better than it. You're suppose to build up not build down. But I'm guessing that's what the season pass is for....

All I wanted from Tekken is its staples. The staple modes. And when they went in on story mode, I WANTED THEM TO GO IN! I WAS ROOTING FOR THEM. INSTEAD we get a half ass story mode with a random narrator and more static images than cutscenes actual times, having the whole roster involved in someways, being able to affect the story line or change it in some aspect. The character episode one fights are the epitome of lazy writing, and I know Tekken is known for joke endings, but these endings are one of the worse in the series, and after waiting nearly 10 years for the next mainline tekken staple, the endings are worse, modes have been removed, story is atrocious, and the fighting is very similar to its predecessor which is what tekken has always been known for and good at.

Fighting is definitely the most important part in a fighting game, but god damn you've nearly mastered the genre already, invigorate the other parts of the game, you've had the gameplay done 2 years ago, why do we not have a tutorial? A ingame frame data? Survival Mode? Team battle? Replays? Why did customizations become worse since Tekken 6?

I'm ranting a lot and should get back to work but TLDR:Game should've released much earlier.
Valid points I guess. That review though, I just find it slightly odd that a long time Tekken fan that has waited 8 years since the last Tekken basically is disappointed in the latest entry because the story mode isn't big enough.
You talk about the story too but, seriously, has Tekken _ever_ been about the story??

I get that they could've spent a lot of money and add a long story but I don't know is that what we want from the fighting genre? I want them to spend the money on the gameplay instead. Take Injustice 2 for example, there was a thread not long ago about how wrong it was that the movie sequences were out on youtube... I'm like. So what??? If people don't buy the game because they've already seen the story then they're not really interested in the game. Make sure that the fighting game fans appreciate the game instead. Leave the movie making to hollywood.

The other shortcomings you mention are worse but I still don't see them as big enough to rate the game 6/10.

The upside I guess is that low scores might push them to release more content post-release and that's great of course.

JusDoIt

Overwatch is a multiplayer shooter that you can hop on and play immediately with friends with a very vibrant online community. Tekken is MUCH more nuanced where if you hopped online, you'd get your ass whooped if you're expecting to button mash to a victory. Fighters=/=shooters should never be compared.

Fighting games are quintessentially "hop on and play immediately." All games with arcade heritage are. Arcades relied on that quality to make money.

Vice

If a fighting game that wasn't street fighter branded, released a game like SFV it would have been blasted to the 30s.
Barely anything gets a score that low. Even some garbage titles wind up in the 50s or 60s.

It should've reviewed much worse is what I'm saying. 77 was forgiving. Extremely. Forgiving.
77 is about right. The 70s are where most fun, but shallow/flawed games get tossed.

SarusGray

Fighting games are quintessentially "hop on and play immediately." All games with arcade heritage are. Arcades relied on that quality to make money.

tekken is a game that has lacked a dedicated tutorial for quite some time. It's no fun for me to pummel a guy online who has no idea what the fuck he's doing. The arcade scene tekken players have been dedicated from the get go. Here, you can't hop on and just use any character and expect to do decently. These characters have 50+ movesets while overwatch has 4. This isn't wise to compare the two. My mom played overwatch and had a blast, getting her to play tekken 6 and win was hilariously... bad.

Valid points I guess. That review though, I just find it slightly odd that a long time Tekken fan that has waited 8 years since the last Tekken basically is disappointed in the latest entry because the story mode isn't big enough.
You talk about the story too but, seriously, has Tekken _ever_ been about the story??

I get that they could've spent a lot of money and add a long story but I don't know is that what we want from the fighting genre? I want them to spend the money on the gameplay instead. Take Injustice 2 for example, there was a thread not long ago about how wrong it was that the movie sequences were out on youtube... I'm like. So what??? If people don't buy the game because they've already seen the story then they're not really interested in the game. Make sure that the fighting game fans appreciate the game instead. Leave the movie making to hollywood.

The other shortcomings you mention are worse but I still don't see them as big enough to rate the game 6/10.

The upside I guess is that low scores might push them to release more content post-release and that's great of course.

As a fan, I expected a increase in those departments after waiting so long. Harada hyped the story himself. And I always followed the story, from Kazuya in Tekken 1 to Jin in Tekken 3 to Lars in Tekken 6 (I hate Lars) to here. Tekken never lacked in the gameplay department as I stated. and Games can have movie making qualities as shown in injustice 2, the last of us etc.

I'm not normally one to attack reviews, but I actually agree with you that the CGM review comes off as severely jaded. He makes some fair points about Tekken 7 (presumably, I'll know for sure later today), but the tone is definitely that of an extremely jaded player. (And I should know, I'm an expert.)

I found all the bizarre Soulcalibur 5 criticism -- "dumpster fire," "thankfully doesn't sink to Soul Calibur V's depths" -- to be particularly bad. I understand a lot of players remain upset that 5 was lacking their favorite lolita, etc., but he keeps attacking its gameplay and that's much harder to defend in anything approaching an objective manner. Soulcalibur 5 was a freaking great fighting game, period, so when you keep suggesting without any real explanation that it was a disaster you don't come across as a particularly reliable, fair-minded fighting game reviewer.

That's ultimately okay, I recognize reviews are inherently subjective, but it's not an especially convincing piece of criticism.

JusDoIt

tekken is a game that has lacked a dedicated tutorial for quite some time. It's no fun for me to pummel a guy online who has no idea what the fuck he's doing. The arcade scene tekken players have been dedicated from the get go. Here, you can't hop on and just use any character and expect to do decently. These characters have 50+ movesets while overwatch has 4. This isn't wise to compare the two. My mom played overwatch and had a blast, getting her to play tekken 6 and win was hilariously... bad.

As a fan, I expected a increase in those departments after waiting so long. Harada hyped the story himself. And I always followed the story, from Kazuya in Tekken 1 to Jin in Tekken 3 to Lars in Tekken 6 (I hate Lars) to here.

So because fighting games have steeper learning curves than other competitive genres, they require more single player content?

Skilletor

So because fighting games have steeper learning curves than other competitive genres, they require more single player content?

No, they require more content than other competitive genres because the majority of people that buy them don't give a shit about fighting other people or getting better.

SarusGray

No, they require more content than other competitive genres because the majority of people that buy them don't give a shit about fighting other people or getting better.

thank you. Some people love just beating to death the AI in great different modes.

OSHAN

I know I expected team battle mode. Really bewildering that's been removed. Tag I can see--that changes things dramatically. I just want my team game.

JusDoIt

So fighting games, a competitive gaming genre, should cater to players who aren't interested in competitive gaming...but other competitive genres don't need to?

SarusGray

So fighting games, a competitive gaming genre, should cater to players who aren't interested in competitive gaming...but other competitive genres don't need to?

These type of games always had multiple markets. Casual being one of the first and one of the most important. Fighters don't need to be competitive to be enjoyed. But you can take it to the next level to enjoy them. A very small percentage does that. The rest which amounts for a lot of $$$ don't.

Other competitive genres? Care to name a few so I can explain the problematic nature of a lacking single player content in a fighter thats often known for its single player content and multiple modes?

ShinMaruku

If they want to make money they must either do that or monitize their player base properly.

The last game that just focused on competition and rushed for tourneys gets lots of hate. I'd rather them err on having content for the others, because you would be daft to only rely on the competitive people.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I found all the bizarre Soulcalibur 5 criticism -- "dumpster fire," "thankfully doesn't sink to Soul Calibur V's depths" -- to be particularly weird. I understand a lot of players remain upset that 5 was lacking their favorite lolita, etc., but he keeps attacking its gameplay and that's much harder to defend in anything approaching an objective manner. Soulcalibur 5 was a freaking great fighting game, period, so when you keep suggesting without any real explanation that it was a disaster you don't come across as a particularly reliable, fair-minded fighting game reviewer.

A lot of people didn't like the way the game threw out classic elements of the series gameplay in favor of a more ubiquitous meter system with EX attacks and supers. Some didn't like the way they stripped down the movesets either. I know I felt that way to an extent, and I can only assume the reviewer did as well.

cordy

Banned
Might this be the best Tekken since Tekken 3?!

Depends on what you prefer honestly. To some? Yeah it's the best since T3 and T5. To others due to some modes being lost? Not true.

Gameplay-wise, in an actual match, I hear it is. It's got the best gameplay of any Tekken.

SarusGray

Depends on what you prefer honestly. To some? Yeah it's the best since T3 and T5. To others due to some modes being lost? Not true.

Gameplay-wise, in an actual match, I hear it is. It's got the best gameplay of any Tekken.

I like how legitimate complaints are boiled down to a faulty one liner of some modes being lost. I guess I should create a bullet point and copy and paste it when this gets brought up.

edit:
- Four less characters than Tekken 6
- Only one more stage than Tekken 6 and six less than Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Story mode comparable to the "bonus mode" of previous Tekken titles like Tekken Force, Scenario Campaign, Devil Within.
- Treasure Battle Same thing as Ghost Battle in previous games except with modifiers and customization rewards.
- A half-assed version of what Arcade Mode is supposed to be. Only five fights and no character endings.
- Gallery Mode = done before and watching content from previous games isn't new content.
- No substitute for Tekken Tag Tournament's Tekken Tunes. Plus this is PS4 exclusive.
- Customizations =MUCH Less options than Tekken 6. Many shared items across all characters. No separation of legs/pants from feet/shoes.
*bonus* - No Time Attack, Survival, or Team Battle modes.
- Character episodes is literally one fight and an ending that solves absolutely nothing. It's not even an ending actually.
- Long load times on console
- No Replay
- No tutorial system
- No in-game frame data.
- Gameplay is extremely similar to predecessor still. (not a bad thing, why did it take so long to release though)

cordy

Banned
I like how legitimate complaints are boiled down to a faulty one liner of some modes being lost. I guess I should create a bullet point and copy and paste it when this gets brought up.

?

It actually sounds like you're upset that not everyone shares the same complaints that you do hence why you're going so hard on this and hence why you're responding to everyone who has a difference of opinion. I stick by my statement. If more modes and characters were in the game, people wouldn't be complaining like they are now. Secondly, a lot of your complaints were responded to days ago in these very threads but you're still here saying the same stuff as if we didn't already talk about this in the past. I know you're upset but that's lame. You need to actually read what people say rather than overlooking it because you're upset towards the game. That's ridiculous.

Creaking

That'd probably help. I don't like the way contrary opinions are being downplayed, simplified, and disregarded.

SarusGray

?

It actually sounds like you're upset that not everyone shares the same complaints that you do hence why you're going so hard on this and hence why you're responding to everyone who has a difference of opinion. I stick by my statement. Secondly, a lot of your complaints were responded to days ago in these very threads but you're still here saying the same stuff as if we didn't already talk about this in the past. I know you're upset but that's lame. You need to actually read what people say rather than overlooking it because you're upset towards the game. That's ridiculous.

This is a review thread? Am I not allowed to voice pros and cons about a game now?

and how am I overlooking people? I'm actually addressing each and every parts of their statements.

JusDoIt

These type of games always had multiple markets. Casual being one of the first and one of the most important. Fighters don't need to be competitive to be enjoyed. But you can take it to the next level to enjoy them. A very small percentage does that. The rest which amounts for a lot of $$$ don't.

Other competitive genres? Care to name a few so I can explain the problematic nature of a lacking single player content in a fighter thats often known for its single player content and multiple modes?

MOBAs, multiplayer shooters, sport sims.

Look, I know that there have been fighting games with substantial single player offerings that have created an expectation for these features. I get that. I know it's not going away. I just don't think it should be the standard by which we measure fighting game releases, because it's a legit double standard compared to other competitive games.

Fredrik

As a fan, I expected a increase in those departments after waiting so long. Harada hyped the story himself. And I always followed the story, from Kazuya in Tekken 1 to Jin in Tekken 3 to Lars in Tekken 6 (I hate Lars) to here. Tekken never lacked in the gameplay department as I stated. and Games can have movie making qualities as shown in injustice 2, the last of us etc.
To be quite honest here, personally I think it's quite difficult to have movie making qualities as you say AND great gameplay. I don't want to derail the thread but very few games we think have a truly great story is great if you completely strip away the story. The story has basically got too much focus so other areas isn't as finetuned or wellplanned, they basically just help pushing the story forward.
And for me personally, fighting games is all about the gameplay. Or rather gameplay combined with unlockables.

I get that the well-tuned Tekken gameplay we all love would probably stay intact even with more focus on the story, but I think it would be better if they spent extra resources on finetuning the gameplay even more or add other gameplay modes rather than make more and longer story sequences.

cordy

Banned
This is a review thread? Am I not allowed to voice pros and cons about a game now?

and how am I overlooking people? I'm actually addressing each and every parts of their statements.

?

Where did I say you're not allowed to voice "pros and cons about a game" in this thread? I'm saying a lot of what you're saying has been addressed in other threads and for some reason, it's as if you've forgotten the talk towards that due to how upset you are. An example is that "I don't know why it shipped this way-" comment from earlier, we've talked about that the other day. There's other things too. For example, you said this a page ago.

Also everyones acting like injustice 2 has the worst fighting mechanics, yeah no its, fine, it gets the job done, but the content it provides alone is enough bang for your mulah.
That's an opinion. There's many people that can see INJ2 and say "yeah they've got content but the fighting isn't good enough for me to pay my full amount for so I don't think it's worth it" but the key here is that you don't get that everyone has a different opinion towards these things. That's what I find lame. Everybody's opinion is different. That's one reason why in the SFV threads while I think it wasn't worth the full price, if people thought it was due to what they do with the game then that's their opinion, I can't fault them for that.

That's one thing I've noticed a lot about these negative posts. Nobody is getting onto people for disagreeing and having a negative mindset towards the final product but it seems as though those a lot who are upset not only respond to those who like what they see in defense of their opinions but it's like they try to rub off how they feel towards others. Don't act like people don't see that, that's lame. There's a difference between voicing cons towards a game and trying to downplay how things are for others. You straight up just responded to a post of mine which wasn't against you simply because you thought I was taking a shot and it hurt you.

That's a problem.

I don't know if you're too attached to this or something but that's just lame. It doesn't look as though you're voicing your opinion on why you dislike what you see. It looks as though you're so upset that you're trying to carry that around simply because you dislike it even though there's many of us who think it's worth the full price.

You need to get that checked out.

JayEH

Look, I know that there have been fighting games with substantial single player offerings that have created an expectation for these features. I get that. I know it's not going away. I just don't think it should be the standard by which we measure fighting game releases, because it's a legit double standard compared to other competitive games.

It is a double standard but that's just the way it is.

Creaking

If they want to make money, yup.

That's the big thing. Fighting games can't survive by ignoring casual players and their wants for casual content. NRS has been offering the most in that regard since MK9, and they are thriving.

LordKasual

Banned
All I wanted from Tekken is its staples. The staple modes. And when they went in on story mode, I WANTED THEM TO GO IN! I WAS ROOTING FOR THEM. INSTEAD we get a half ass story mode with a random narrator and more static images than cutscenes actual times, having the whole roster involved in someways, being able to affect the story line or change it in some aspect.

man i dont understand this

Tekken 6 had an entirely different game for its story mode, and everyone complains

I don't think it's so easy to call it a double standard in Namco fighters case. From day one they always offered little secrets and things to do for the single player experience.

Tekken and Soul Calibur always had tons of content all the while keeping a good balance to be competitive. (well except Tekken 4 but we don't talk about that)

SarusGray

Multiplayer centric games those are. Fighters haven't had that in a while since the online portion have always been difficult to maintain until recently. Fighting games still online need near perfect connections. Most players don't have that connection quite yet to invest simply into the online fighting portion. Which is why its important to focus as well on single player.

To be quite honest here, personally I think it's quite difficult to have movie making qualities as you say AND great gameplay. I don't want to derail the thread but very few games we think have a truly great story is great if you completely strip away the story. The story has basically got too much focus so other areas isn't as finetuned or wellplanned, they basically just help pushing the story forward.
And for me personally, fighting games is all about the gameplay. Or rather gameplay combined with unlockables.

I get that the well-tuned Tekken gameplay we all love would probably stay intact even with more focus on the story, but I think it would be better if they spent extra resources on finetuning the gameplay even more or add other gameplay modes rather than make more and longer story sequences.
I'm not asking for The Shining level cinematic quality, I'm asking for a coherent story/plot that involves the actual fighters and doesn't shrug them off as Joke characters. We now have a vampire whose boobs grow each round and more joke characters.

?

Where did I say you're not allowed to voice "pros and cons about a game" in this thread? I'm saying a lot of what you're saying has been addressed in other threads and for some reason, it's as if you've forgotten the talk towards that due to how upset you are. An example is that "I don't know why it shipped this way-" comment from earlier, we've talked about that the other day. There's other things too. For example, you said this a page ago.

That's an opinion. There's many people that can see INJ2 and say "yeah they've got content but the fighting isn't good enough for me to pay my full amount for so I don't think it's worth it" but the key here is that you don't get that everyone has a different opinion towards these things. That's what I find lame. Everybody's opinion is different. That's one reason why in the SFV threads while I think it wasn't worth the full price, if people thought it was due to what they do with the game then that's their opinion, I can't fault them for that.

That's one thing I've noticed a lot about these negative posts. Nobody is getting onto people for disagreeing and having a negative mindset towards the final product but it seems as though those a lot who are upset not only respond to those who like what they see in defense of their opinions but it's like they try to rub off how they feel towards others. Don't act like people don't see that, that's lame. There's a difference between voicing cons towards a game and trying to downplay how things are for others. You straight up just responded to a post of mine which wasn't against you simply because you thought I was taking a shot and it hurt you.

That's a problem.

I don't know if you're too attached to this or something but that's just lame. It doesn't look as though you're voicing your opinion on why you dislike what you see. It looks as though you're so upset that you're trying to carry that around simply because you dislike it even though there's many of us who think it's worth the full price.

You need to get that checked out.

There is nothing wrong with going on an online forum and discussing a video game that many others as well agree with me. This is my favorite fighter, but I will criticize it if it means getting the word out on what can be improved.

man i dont understand this

Tekken 6 had an entirely different game for its story mode, and everyone complains

Tekken 6 complaints were legitimate. Scenario Campaign was bad but the other modes were great. Bound was a bad system at the time as well as the rage sometimes completely obliterating you if you were not careful. Wall combos were insane.

Well, in the early days it was more invested in a crazy-but-character-driven storyline, but as time went on the narrative became a bit throwaway. But in 7 they're trying to go back to the character-driven stuff.

The problem is that from the sounds of it, not all (or even most?) of the characters are getting good story treatments.

People who play characters for a long time want them to have something meaningful going on with their stories, and maybe even be involved in the major story arcs, in the same way as people who are into wrestling do. Unfortunately Namco has turned many characters into running jokes or having superficial plots about unrequited love.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

edit:
- Story mode comparable to the "bonus mode" of previous Tekken titles like Tekken Force, Scenario Campaign, Devil Within.
- Treasure Battle Same thing as Ghost Battle in previous games except with modifiers and customization rewards.
- A half-assed version of what Arcade Mode is supposed to be. Only five fights and no character endings.
- Gallery Mode = done before and watching content from previous games isn't new content.
- No substitute for Tekken Tag Tournament's Tekken Tunes. Plus this is PS4 exclusive.
- Customizations =MUCH Less options than Tekken 6. Many shared items across all characters. No separation of legs/pants from feet/shoes.
- Character episodes is literally one fight and an ending that solves absolutely nothing. It's not even an ending actually.
- No Replay
- No tutorial system
- No in-game frame data.
- Gameplay is extremely similar to predecessor still. (not a bad thing, why did it take so long to release though)
I really wish I'd read up on this stuff before pre ordering. This sounds extremely worrying.

SarusGray

Well, in the early days it was more invested in a crazy-but-character-driven storyline, but as time went on the narrative became a bit throwaway. But in 7 they're trying to go back to the character-driven stuff.

The problem is that from the sounds of it, not all (or even most?) of the characters are getting good story treatments.

People who play characters for a long time want them to have something meaningful going on with their stories, and maybe even be involved in the major story arcs, in the same way as people who are into wrestling do. Unfortunately Namco has turned many characters into running jokes or meaningless plots about unrequited love.
I will sound off its annoying to have that occur but that's a very small minuscule complaint for me.
Big for others though.
I really wish I'd read up on this stuff before pre ordering. This sounds extremely worrying.

To counter act my bullets, this game has one of the best gameplays in a fighter period. It looks beautiful, it plays amazingly well according to others, and the online connection when playing other players has tremendously improved. If you're looking for top notch fighting gameplay, tekken is one of the best in that department. The game will continue according to a road map receive updates, so there's that as well to hopefully fix some of the issues.

cordy

Banned
There is nothing wrong with going on an online forum and discussing a video game that many others as well agree with me. This is my favorite fighter, but I will criticize it if it means getting the word out on what can be improved.

If you honestly think that's what you're doing then God bless. There's a difference between criticizing a game and wanting it to be better and what you're doing. I've seen plenty of people criticize this game and even though they're disappointed, they do it right. There's also a thing towards everybody having their own opinion towards a product and if you disagree with it letting it be. I'm not seeing that with your posts and a lot of negative posts. People aren't saying "well you believe that, I'll let that be but I disagree and I wish it were better", people are straight up going against others' opinions purely based on their beliefs and that's not a good thing. Like you responding to me just now, I didn't even take a shot at you and yet you responded upset as if I'm someone who's doing bad simply because I don't agree with you. Overall, that's not a good thing because that isn't criticism towards the product, that's something entirely different.

God bless you, I'm done talking to you about that thing in this thread as I've seen this happening too many times in these Tekken threads.

On with the reviews.

Alienous

edit:
- No Replay
- No tutorial system
- No in-game frame data.

Really?

What a shame. I guess the transition to a new game engine really messed up their workflow?

Creaking

Tekken 6 complaints were legitimate. Scenario Campaign was bad but the other modes were great. Bound was a bad system at the time as well as the rage sometimes completely obliterating you if you were not careful. Wall combos were insane.

Bound is still in Tekken 7 you know (tailspin), it just looks different and has slightly different properties. And now in Tekken 7 some rage drives can double bound/tailspin.

Shadoken

MOBAs and MP only Shooters are usually not full priced $60 games. Sports games have a ton of SP content what are you even talking about?
If SFV was not a full priced $60 release and followed some other model. It would have not scored that bad.

But you do have a point. Fighting games are held to double standards because reviewers are not good at the genre.

SarusGray

If you honestly think that's what you're doing then God bless. There's a difference between criticizing a game and wanting it to be better and what you're doing. I've seen plenty of people criticize this game and even though they're disappointed, they do it right. There's also a thing towards everybody having their own opinion towards a product and if you disagree with it letting it be. I'm not seeing that with your posts and a lot of negative posts. People aren't saying "well you believe that, I'll let that be but I disagree and I wish it were better", people are straight up going against others' opinions purely based on their beliefs and that's not a good thing. Like you responding to me just now, I didn't even take a shot at you and yet you responded upset as if I'm someone who's doing bad simply because I don't agree with you. Overall, that's not a good thing because that isn't criticism towards the product, that's something entirely different.

God bless you, I'm done talking to you about that thing in this thread as I've seen this happening too many times in these Tekken threads.

On with the reviews.

You said I need to go get THAT checked out. lol? By whom? What do I need to get checked out? I never went there and tell people they need to get something checked out silly. I'm not upset at all, I'm at work and maybe I look upset, but that's probably the botox in my face doing that.

If people agree with me after my statements, I didn't force them to do that, that's on them. I am merely making my points clearer in each post when I have to and replying to others to answer their questions with my opinion. Some will agree, others won't. Also I have the game preordered physically and digitally.

Bound is still in Tekken 7 you know (tailspin), it just looks different and has slightly different properties. And now in Tekken 7 some rage drives can double bound/tailspin.

Bound added longer lengths to juggles and offered crazy ass wall combos. Didn't know some rage drives can double bound wat.

cordy

Banned
Really?

What a shame. I guess the transition to a new game engine really messed up their workflow?

There's multiple things incorrect about that post but one thing I'll confirm is yes, switching to UE4 switched things up for them. In the IGN T7 development videos months ago they said it took them a bit to learn UE4 and then they had to work from that. The reason T7 to FR took a huge jump in quality is due to them learning how to use the system. Secondly, they had to work on Pokken as well so you then factor them doing that. Overall everything makes sense if you look at what they've been through and what they've had to deal with but the problem is people don't look at why it's this way, they just say 'well this is the end product so-", overall it's a different story.

The development videos on this game, even the social media comments towards it from devs explain a good amount.

SarusGray

There's multiple things incorrect about that post but one thing I'll confirm is yes, switching to UE4 switched things up for them. In the IGN T7 development videos months ago they said it took them a bit to learn UE4 and then they had to work from that. The reason T7 to FR took a huge jump in quality is due to them learning how to use the system. Secondly, they had to work on Pokken as well so you then factor them doing that. Overall everything makes sense if you look at what they've been through and what they've had to deal with but the problem is people don't look at why it's this way, they just say 'well this is the end product so-", overall it's a different story.

The development videos on this game, even the social media comments towards it from devs explain a good amount.

Mind clarifying whats incorrect so I can correct them?

Injustice 2 has shitty gameplay? LOL
I2 earned it's score.

Yes, yes it does out of all the fighting games out there. That includes SFV, GG, Tekken, Ki and hell USF2 (bit of a jokey joke to lighten the mood🤗) Injustice doesn't compare. Now if you want a Story mode, with the backing of freaking Warner Brothers.. then Injustice is your game.

Well, people seem to really enjoy it, and it's hard to deny the effort they've put into​ it.

But the FG genre is ultimately down to personal preference, like preferring PES over FIFA even though the latter has more modes and licenses.

I'd rather have an extremely bare-bones GG Xrd than spend a second playing Injustice or KI.

Doesn't make these reviews any less valid.

All my boys said they love it (the story mode). My issue is with reviewing fighting games and "story mode" having more weight than the actual fighting system. If that's you're cup of tea, fine, but don't try and tell me that injustice is better than Tekken.. I'll just laugh at you. (Not you, but in general).

Top Bottom