• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |Review Thread|

Slythe

After playing a bit of MVC2 and Arms (testpunch) this summer, I'm wanting to get into this genre for the first time. This game has caught my eye because I've heard it's more focused on slower, more-deliberate strategies instead of blazing fast combos. Is this a good fighting game for a newcomer like me who wants to focus on single player first and then dabble in multiplayer? Reviews seem favorable but I like getting community impressions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Interesting that the higher in number we get, the less goodies we have. No unique character endings (which is all the more baffling when you see all of them from past games you can unlock) which makes arcade mode weird. Treasure battle is neat but browsing the customization options seems to have a lot of general, nonspecific options. I guess this takes the place of Tekken bowling/force. I kind of miss bowling thiugh. lol. Less characters, stages, etc but gained a story mode.

I can see why long tome, casual fans might be a bit "eh". Especially in the face of Injustice 2.

But...its Telken. On my PC and it looks amazing and is super fucking fun! So i'll take it.

Luigiv

After playing a bit of MVC2 and Arms (testpunch) this summer, I'm wanting to get into this genre for the first time. This game has caught my eye because I've heard it's more focused on slower, more-deliberate strategies instead of blazing fast combos. Is this a good fighting game for a newcomer like me who wants to focus on single player first and then dabble in multiplayer? Reviews seem favorable but I like getting community impressions.

I'd say so. Tekken is pretty casual friendly, offline at least. I don't know exactly what modes are included in this one, but typically the main Tekken releases tend to offer significant sigle player content.

You're easily pleased.:) If this came out two years ago it would be one thing, but even FR was a year ago. I guess I was expecting this release to be overflowing with Tekken nonsense and customizable items and characters and team battle.

I think the reviews are fair. No one denies the gameplay isn't excellent--it's been excellent for years; it is the lack of extra stuff that's a real bummer, especially since it took so long to get to consoles.

Well like most games these days, it will probably get fleshed out more with the DLC eventually, for those that want more from it. I just need Lei to be back on the roster but I'm cool with pretty much everything else the game is offering right now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Interesting that the higher in number we get, the less goodies we have. No unique character endings (which is all the more baffling when you see all of them from past games you can unlock) which makes arcade mode weird. Treasure battle is neat but browsing the customization options seems to have a lot of general, nonspecific options. I guess this takes the place of Tekken bowling/force. I kind of miss bowling thiugh. lol. Less characters, stages, etc but gained a story mode.

I can see why long tome, casual fans might be a bit "eh". Especially in the face of Injustice 2.

But...its Telken. On my PC and it looks amazing and is super fucking fun! So i'll take it.

The character stories are the substitute for unique arcade character stories. Had they just placed these sequences at the end of each characters respective arcade mode(with the respective bout being the final battle) instead of as a singular round adjacent to story mode, they could have saved a decent amount of outrage pretty cheaply i'd say

SarusGray

The character stories are the substitute for unique arcade character stories. Had they just placed these sequences at the end of each characters respective arcade mode(with the respective bout being the final battle) instead of as a singular round adjacent to story mode, they could have saved a decent amount of outrage pretty cheaply i'd say
Those endings you speak of are interludes. Anything but endings.

Its bad.

Inuhanyou

Those endings you speak of are interludes. Anything but endings.

Its bad.

Well that's the point, like it or hate it, i think its pretty obvious that they are trying to reign in the Tekken lore so there is no more random out there stuff as endings. Everything in the character stories is canon to the overall T7 lore, including the cliffhangers like
xiaoyu being kidnapped by Claudio to lure out jin, which obviously leads into T8's story

SarusGray

Well that's the point, like it or hate it, i think its pretty obvious that they are trying to reign in the Tekken lore so there is no more random out there stuff as endings. Everything in the character stories is canon to the overall T7 lore, including the cliffhangers like
xiaoyu being kidnapped by Claudio to lure out jin, which obviously leads into T8's story
Do not get into lore with me and point out literally one aspect in the character episode that clearly reveals its more of an interlude rather than an ending. You're telling me we have to wait till tekken 8 to see the next part of the story? Lol
More than half the cast has no story relevance and have become joke characters with vampire fits having boobs that expand each round.

There is more random stuff thab ever. And its not the good kind.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No true endings in a tekken game is suprising. Thats why i enjoyed the theater mode in previous games.

There are endings, they are just attached to the side stories instead of arcade, but every single character gets a traditional tekken style ending.

SarusGray

There are endings, they are just attached to the side stories instead of arcade, but every single character gets a traditional tekken style ending.

it ain't traditional at all... don't get people hopes up, the endings are one of the worse and use the in-game engine rather than the CGI we're use to. Tekken Tag Tournament would be the worst but that was non canon so it gets a pass.

Inuhanyou

Do not get into lore with me and point out literally one aspect in the character episode that clearly reveals its more of an interlude rather than an ending. You're telling me we have to wait till tekken 8 to see the next part of the story? Lol
More than half the cast has no story relevance and have become joke characters with vampire fits having boobs that expand each round.

To be fair, quite a lot of these character didn't ever have story relevance to the Mishima story which we all knew this game was going to be about, and generally is what tekken has been about since the inception. Dunno what else to say

Jer

Sure, different players are going to feel differently about the Third Strike of the Soulcalibur series, but there's good ways to phrase that. (For example, your post! And for what it's worth I have problems with the game too.) It's when you start blathering on about it being a "dumpster fire," and with no real elaboration, that you look more like a jaded forum poster than a serious game critic. There's obviously a massive difference between normal, reasonable criticism and something more like internet forum flaming, and that CGM review leans too much towards the latter.

The thing that was weird about that review to me was that he kept going on and on about SC5 being ruined because it changed the core formula, but then complained about T7 not having enough innovation. Seems inconsistent, if you want change, then don't attack games for changing.

Still don't get the hate on SC5s gameplay, but that's another subject.

That Eurogamer review seemed poorly-written. The reviewer's main complaint was a lack of single-player content -- which is totally valid -- but failed to even mention the missing modes and characters that would provide evidence for this lack of content. And he didn't even address whether the online was good or bad. For a magazine that got rid of scores to focus on the reviews, I was surprised at how rushed it seemed.

In general all the reviews I've read so far single out a few things, but none yet have provided a holistic review of the game's features, which makes it hard to take the scores seriously.

SarusGray

To be fair, quite a lot of these character didn't ever have story relevance to the Mishima story which we all knew this game was going to be about, and generally is what tekken has been about since the inception. Dunno what else to say

Tekken 4 involved everyone in someway or form. Harada said they would be going back to that style of story T4 but that didn't really happen.

The fact still stands, these "endings" are the worst the mainline tekken series has seen.

Tekken 4 involved everyone in someway or form. Harada said they would be going back to that style of story T4 but that didn't really happen.

The fact still stands, these "endings" are the worst the mainline tekken series has seen.
It's very clear they had no idea what to do. They just started introducing characters and bringing back some with nothing to do.

Where as MY idea... would have featured everyone.

All I want from Tekken is a refined T5, arcade ranking to earn money and level up characters, and Josie. It sounds like it's all good.

Fredrik

Wow.
This game.
I've only just scratched the surface but I'd already give it at least a 9/10.
Playing on PC on a 980ti with everything on Ultra at 60fps and it looks amazing, plays better than any Tekken I can remember, have a huge story mode (over 2 hours in and I still haven't finished it), a crazy amount of unlockables and it's fun fun fun! :)
And I really really hate Heihachi, just as it should be lol

If your jumping in "Level up your game" is a great series. Its Tekken 6 but the majority of items still apply to T7:

https://youtu.be/L3DT6-oOZro

Ops also for new comers this character selection is helpful:

https://youtu.be/Nbewxse8DlI

DR2K

Banned
Whatever trophies or achievements mean to you, it's the easiest platinum ever.

This game has everything going for it. Visuals are great, animations are beautiful, huge roster and lots of stages. Great netcode, deep customization system, tons to earn through treasure mode, story mode has some shit moments, but some cool ones as well. Character stories are brief, but do their job of introducing the characters not in the main story.

No unique character endings (which is all the more baffling when you see all of them from past games you can unlock) which makes arcade mode weird.

You're kidding right?
The first enjoyment for tekken was doing the arcade//story mode on each character to learn the rope with that char against high setting cpu and be "rewarded" with some serious//hilarious cgi...
why did they remove it? -.-

Inuhanyou

You're kidding right?
The first enjoyment for tekken was doing the arcade//story mode on each character to learn the rope with that char against high setting cpu and be "rewarded" with some serious//hilarious cgi...
why did they remove it? -.-

there are stories for each character that could have been in arcade mode, but they took them and put them in the story mode section instead. Dunno why

My review is up.
http://www.cubed3.com/review/3920/1/tekken-7-playstation-4.html

In short, Tekken 7 is a phenomenal fighting game, but it's not without issues. Players have hundreds if not thousands of exciting matches to look forward to. Grasping the complexities of movement and learning characters is an involved process that'll cause anyone to lose track of time. However, the developer continues to focus their energies on features that simply aren't worth the trouble. The Mishima Saga, with its cheap battles and dishwater dull story, is a relic from an era best left forgotten. The broken matchmaking is also a very serious issue, so hopefully it's addressed in short order. Still, this fighter is highly recommended.

8/10

After three weeks with the game it's still my favorite out of the 9 in the series. It has the series best story related content yet. A great cast of new characters. Awesome new mechanics, and don't forget that juke ox mode. When those guest characters launch this game will be best of this generation. Sorry Injustice.

Top Bottom