• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wounded US Marine Returns Home From Iraq to Marry

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

PO-1_520x465x90.jpg

Matt_C

Is he still in the service because he is wearing a uniform? Man, I just hope that he is eligible to have reconstructive surgery so he can still be able to do his mission because it would be dang hard for a marine to hear with one ear and not smell much. I just hope that dude has some rest after the surgery and help raise his future family.

If he cannot do his mission anymore, I just hope he gets an honorable discharge or if his tour of duty is almost over, his superior officers should take it easy and just let the wounded veteran do his thing.

I personally knew some marines and their job requires intensive hearing and seeing.

LakeEarth

Matt_C said:
Is he still in the service because he is wearing a uniform? Man, I just hope that he is eligible to have reconstructive surgery so he can still be able to do his mission because it would be dang hard for a marine to hear with one ear and not smell much. I just hope that dude has some rest after the surgery and help raise his future family.
He only has one hand with two fingers on it. The hand you see in the picture is probably plastic.

What happened to the guy?

Edit

Alcibiades said:

Marine Sergeant Ty Ziegel already had his life planned out, he would marry his girlfriend Renee Kline upon returning from his second tour of duty in Iraq. But one fateful day a suicide bomber hit his truck, tearing apart his body and making him among the 20,000 soldiers that have been wounded in Iraq. He was blind in one eye, had a shattered skull, and most of his skin was burned off. Renee lived with Ty at the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas for a year and a half, sharing Ty's every hope and fear. Their relationship became stronger than ever, and Ty and Renee moved back to their hometown in Illinois in July 2006, and got married in shortly thereafter.

Nikashi

Banned
He does appear to be still healing, and while he'll likely never look pre-war, I think that he does stand a good chance of getting enough reconstructive surgery to look more 'normal'.

Sapiens

Thats awful

lets hope that the medical strides being made today - the face, skin and limb transplants - can be applied to these people en masse in the future.

Just heartbreaking

dark_chris

Gold Member
Oh yea, this gives me a reason to not join. Should just show this around whenever recruiters come and say, "Look what happens when you join the army/navy!!!!"

But yea, this is like...a really tragic thing to happen. At least he is trying, and I am happy to see this kind of man who tries, and to is not afraid of society to get in his way.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yeah, she doesn't seem too happy. She's not bad looking either, so it's not like she couldn't have found someone else, I commend her for sticking with him despite his disfiguration. And the marine was a good looking guy before the attack, hope he can look normal again or close to it.

dark_chris

Gold Member
PhoenixDark said:
Have you no class? Seriously dude, wow.

Heartbreaking story. But it's obvious that his bride really loves him

Thats the happy part. :) Its great to see he has someone still that loves him still.
YOU HEAR THAT GAF (virgins)?!
HE GOT LAID!

Sonki.

Banned
That's awesome how she stuck with him.

Stupid wars...

I would get all depressed if that happened to me. Knowing the war was useless, and getting my face and body mangled. But knowing someone would be there to help me would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom