• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] ‘Grand Theft Auto’ Maker Rockstar Games Asks Workers to Return to Office Five Days a Week

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most business would probably have a contract that say that they will rent it for x amount of time. And renting it out second hand is a usually somewhat lengthy and legally complicated process. But you can definitely see a trend where larger business are downscaling their physical spaces whenever they're office lease is up.
Agreed.

My company's facility (includes office and warehouse connected to each other) is signed in 5 year terms.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I dont think it's tech only, but younger generation in general.

- Ghosting the hiring manager in interviews
- Quitting on the spot. No 2 or 3 week notice. They got another job lined up and thats fine. But instead of telling the boss a few weeks in advance, they purposely tell the day they are gone

I have never seen or heard of that ever from earlier in my career from young or veteran workers. it's more of a recent young people thing where their attitude is sticking it to people with zero respect.
My sister in law is the Director for a large 911 Center, she has been with them for 25 years and for the longest time they had near zero turnover, would literally hire maybe one person a year.

Like everywhere else currently they are understaffed and can not keep people and they pay very well for the area with great benefits

Have heard her say many times the younger generation has zero respect for her place nor her time as many times she has had interviews lined up and they don't show, don't cancel, nothing

Have hired a few of the under 30 crowd and going into the interviews its made very clear they are a 24/7 agency and they will work weekends and holidays and once they get hired they throw a fit about the schedule.

Her facility has remote terminals that people actually can do full functioning 911 calls from homes (some agencies nationwide are actually attempting it full time) and in their trial runs calls get missed

People here can debate back and forth about whats better working from home or getting called back into the office but as I mentioned in a much earlier post I know Activision had the data and they started bringing people back in like a year ago or so

R6Rider

Gold Member
Agreed.

Every time I have to go into the office I see coworkers talking to each for at least 1/4 of the shift. Not even work related stuff either. Or they go AWOL and you have no clue where they went. I've also gone to the bathroom to take a dump, and the person in the next stall is there when I get there, and there when I leave (probably fucking around on their phone).

Yes, so productive.🙄

Let's not pretend like people are that much more productive while working in the office.
I work hybrid currently and this is the most accurate statement I've seen so far.

The amount of times a product manager just disappears is insane.

Moses85

Rockstar Games: workers, will you come back to the Office five days a week?

Workers:
Mike Myers No GIF

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My sister in law is the Director for a large 911 Center, she has been with them for 25 years and for the longest time they had near zero turnover, would literally hire maybe one person a year.

Like everywhere else currently they are understaffed and can not keep people and they pay very well for the area with great benefits

Have heard her say many times the younger generation has zero respect for her place nor her time as many times she has had interviews lined up and they don't show, don't cancel, nothing

Have hired a few of the under 30 crowd and going into the interviews its made very clear they are a 24/7 agency and they will work weekends and holidays and once they get hired they throw a fit about the schedule.

Her facility has remote terminals that people actually can do full functioning 911 calls from homes (some agencies nationwide are actually attempting it full time) and in their trial runs calls get missed

People here can debate back and forth about whats better working from home or getting called back into the office but as I mentioned in a much earlier post I know Activision had the data and they started bringing people back in like a year ago or so
How about this as an example of quitting on the spot....

Before covid, there was one of those bad snow days. Some people made it to the office (I did since I dont live that far away but still took me an hour), while some stayed home. Thats fine. On awful weather days the company and VPs dont care if you wfh.

One of the big bosses made it to the office. Her team had I think a 1 pm meeting. One of her workers made it in. But at 1 pm, instead of joining the meeting, she told the boss she's quitting and left. She didn't even bother at least sticking around all day. She showed up, handed back her laptop and left (well at least she showed up and didn't expect IT to fedex her a return box. lol). I was nearby and asked her what happened as it was weird she would arrive in bad weather and then left right away. My boss was just puzzled and said she just quit. A 26 or 27 year old.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Remote working in a large organization benefits the sketchy/lazy people. Is more difficult to control and ended giving more work to a few fools. that's my experience in pandemic. A loooong way to go to make it fair and efficient.

Folks get used to press the power button on their PCs from the bed, others not even that.

EDIT: Not saying couldn't be done. I'm sure thre are jobs for it

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Before covid, there was one of those bad snow days. Some people made it to the office (I did since I dont live that far away but still took me an hour), while some stayed home. Thats fine. On awful weather days the company and VPs dont care if you wfh.

One of the big bosses made it to the office. Her team had I think a 1 pm meeting. One of her workers made it in. But at 1 pm, instead of joining the meeting, she told the boss she's quitting and left. She didn't even bother at least sticking around all day. She showed up, handed back her laptop and left (well at least she showed up and didn't expect IT to fedex her a return box. lol). I was nearby and asked her what happened as it was weird she would arrive in bad weather and then left right away. My boss was just puzzled and said she just quit. A 26 or 27 year old.
First yall were trash talking work from home and now we’re just dunking on the younger generation? Saying 20-something’s don’t want to work anymore?

Not ALL people in any one age category are the same lol. I’d be extremely curious to know the average age on GAF these days. This has been a very weird thread.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
First yall were trash talking work from home and now we’re just dunking on the younger generation? Saying 20-something’s don’t want to work anymore?

Not ALL people in any one age category are the same lol. I’d be extremely curious to know the average age on GAF these days. This has been a very weird thread.
Never said all young people are like this.

I'm just saying in my office career anytime I've seen interview ghosters or quitters on the spot it's a recent thing with younger people. Never saw that ever earlier in my career from any age group.

GymWolf

So let me get this straight in laymen terms:

Company buy\rent offices that are now empty because everyone want to work from home.

They already spended the money to buy\rent, the money are already gone.

People says that working from home improve productivity, so in theory the company makes more money like that.

They can't recover the money from buying offices and on top of that they want to make less money by making people return to office, so double loss.

So i have to believe that companies are ok with making less money because they are just...petty and want people to suffer in the office?

Or i'm missing a passage where keeping the office empty somehow make them lose even more money than having unproductive people inside the offices??

And if the bolded part is actually a thing...don't they actually have a reason to make people return to the office?

Like, it's a vicious circle that make no sense, i can only believe so much that big companies have no idea of what they do and pay the bills with petty dollars instead of real dollars (hyperbole but you get the gist)

Like is there people in here with an actual explanation on why companies like to (allegedly) lose money that doesn't sum up to big company is bad and capitalism is bad and they want us to suffer?

As a small company owner we always try to make choices that generate more money, not the opposite, i guess we are special and smarter than everyone else?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Rockstar Games: workers, will you come back to the Office five days a week?

Workers:
Mike Myers No GIF

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Between EA, MS and Sony lay offs, I’m sure there’s a few thousand people that would jump in to replace those refusing to go back to an office.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I've been doing it wrong all my life, there was me thinking commute time was before and after office hours. Now thanks to your insight I realize i should have been setting off to work at 9AM and leaving before 5:30PM so I'd arrive at home at 5:30! This is a game changer.

You have been doing it wrong all your life. Get the daily work out of the way without interruption before your shift normally starts. Then you can coast the rest of the day and be on top of everything. More productive and comes with EZ salary bonus and raises ftw.

Sleepwalker

I just spent a good chunk of this nice thursday morning reading this thread on the couch. I think I'm going to hit the gym for a couple hours then probably stop for lunch at this new place my wife has been wanting to check out for a while.

Haven't been in an office since early 2016. I quit that job on the spot with no notice, best decision ever.

nush

I've done it once with mitigating circumstances. I worked for a Chinese company, there was an American working with me as well. He didn't like the work environment, so gave notice and quit. So far so good right? Well, the Chinese boss took it personally and refused to pay his what he was owed until this guy had done lots of extra work past his quitting date. There was an email chain just between this guy and the boss discussing this issue but for some reason the Chinese boss kept copying in myself and the international sales manager. I don't know why, maybe he wanted to look tough or something?

I messaged the American guy and said I don't know why I'm getting copied but all I can see is that you are right.

All I took from that was that this Chinese boss would do exactly the same to me when I quit, so when that happened I wasn't going to give him the chance.

So when I got a better job offer, I waited until the Chinese new year and just left as it was a long holiday. Which would have left me 2 weeks wages short but that was better than being made to do a lot of extra work to get 4. However, they didn't notice in time I wasn't there and ran payroll for the following month. So I ended up with a bonus months wage for nothing.

When my Chinese colleague eventually quit she told me the boss did the "Do lots of extra work if you want to get paid what you are owed" shit to her.

Roni

Gold Member
Some people are just overly dramatic. They want us to believe the people making these decisions are like Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget.

“Yes… yes… return to work peasants. Your misery brings me joy.”

giphy.gif
No one forced this fella to say it, but he said it anyway because he believes it. And many more do:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If people want to slack off and be unproductive they will find ways. Doesn't matter if it's at home or at the office. Motivation or lack thereof doesn't discriminate based on location.

It does though.

It's a gradient. People will slack off at different rates based on external stimuli.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So let me get this straight in laymen terms:

Company buy\rent offices that are now empty because everyone want to work from home.

They already spended the money to buy\rent, the money are already gone.

People says that working from home improve productivity, so in theory the company makes more money like that.

They can't recover the money from buying offices and on top of that they want to make less money by making people return to office, so double loss.

So i have to believe that companies are ok with making less money because they are just...petty and want people to suffer in the office?

Or i'm missing a passage where keeping the office empty somehow make them lose even more money than having unproductive people inside the offices??

And if the bolded part is actually a thing...don't they actually have a reason to make people return to the office?

Like, it's a vicious circle that make no sense, i can only believe so much that big companies have no idea of what they do and pay the bills with petty dollars instead of real dollars (hyperbole but you get the gist)

Like is there people in here with an actual explanation on why companies like to (allegedly) lose money that doesn't sum up to big company is bad and capitalism is bad and they want us to suffer?

As a small company owner we always try to make choices that generate more money, not the opposite, i guess we are special and smarter than everyone else?
I’ve brought up similar views as well.

If wfh productivity is so great, the company saves money on buildings (whether it’s immediate or after the lease is over and they shut down the office), and every person gets flexibility to work their own hours, then every ceo should be immediately mandating wfh as much as possible. Sales and profits shoot up and less headaches managing a property where there’s on premise facility managers and custodians on the payroll too not needed anymore.

The financials would zoom up so good everyone’s bonuses would be giant. And all those profit margin metrics people have been talking about would jump making every board of director happy.

So it’s totally counterintuitive that bosses want people back if it pisses people off and they are less productive and office staff sink the numbers.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Seeing how they got hacked off a Fire TV Stick I can understand the desire to keep everything in a secure building with a secure server.

One thing that's missing here is the context of leaks that damage the bottom line. In a past life we had Disney as a client and they had to vet our entire server structure and did background checks on IT. In fact, one of our lead IT techs got fired because he creates fan films in his spare time and they were worried about leaks. They have that kind of power.

I know the moment is people reacting to covid, and I understand where you guys are coming from, but I do buy it when they say it's a decision informed by wanting to minimize leaks.

SkylineRKR

I was forced to work from home for a better part of 2020 and the entirety of 2021. For me its not good. Since then, they kind of mandated a requirement of being at the office for 2 days a week at the minimum. Its not a real demand yet, but an advice they urge you to follow.

And its for the better. Its more difficult communicating or explaining things to people from distance. I've set my own rule since, if they want something explained by me, fine, but only on location. I am not going to waste time using Teams or my phone, waiting for screenshots back and forth.

It really depends on what line of work you do ofcourse. And it can be handy, if I don't feel too well or I expect someone for repairs or w/e I work from home instead of using up leave hours. For people living further away from work it wins them time and saves traffic jams. I do understand the benefits, but for communication and explaining ideas I prefer face to face.

And abuse is a thing. You won't generally slack off in front of coworkers or flick on a stream there. But at home some people def. do because there is no one around. Production actually did lower in our case, they only took the easy things they could do at home and saved the more difficult tasks for the people present. Then they claim they do more when at home (the ones who prefer working from home claim this), but I don't see it. They barely take on challenging tasks anymore because they prioritize staying home.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was forced to work from home for a better part of 2020 and the entirety of 2021. For me its not good. Since then, they kind of mandated a requirement of being at the office for 2 days a week at the minimum. Its not a real demand yet, but an advice they urge you to follow.

And its for the better. Its more difficult communicating or explaining things to people from distance. I've set my own rule since, if they want something explained by me, fine, but only on location. I am not going to waste time using Teams or my phone, waiting for screenshots back and forth.

It really depends on what line of work you do ofcourse. And it can be handy, if I don't feel too well or I expect someone for repairs or w/e I work from home instead of using up leave hours. For people living further away from work it wins them time and saves traffic jams. I do understand the benefits, but for communication and explaining ideas I prefer face to face.

And abuse is a thing. You won't generally slack off in front of coworkers or flick on a stream there. But at home some people def. do because there is no one around. Production actually did lower in our case, they only took the easy things they could do at home and saved the more difficult tasks for the people present. Then they claim they do more when at home (the ones who prefer working from home claim this), but I don't see it. They barely take on challenging tasks anymore because they prioritize staying home.
Doing online MS teams chats can be a pain and it doesn’t even have to be something super complex.

Good luck flipping back and forth between tabs and rows with people trying to show and explain big spreadsheets. The stream is chunky and will never catch up compared to showing someone at a desk smoothly.

“Wait hold on…. Youre scrolling too fast”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s still loading”

Wait a second or two….

“Now can you see the cell I’m on? It should say $10000”

“Ya now I can see where you’re at but can you zoom in? It’s too small”

Have fun trying to explain big data sets to people online. It scrolls smooth and looks big enough to see on my screen.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is this could be a way for Rockstar to force layoffs. "You don't want to come into work, alright here's your walking papers." Now for the rest of the team that has remained welcome to crunch and working 14+ hour days to meet the deadline. Or let's push the release date and continue to crunch. Welcome to game dev.

Moses85

Between EA, MS and Sony lay offs, I’m sure there’s a few thousand people that would jump in to replace those refusing to go back to an office.
I dont think so..
Rockstar Games devs are not that easy to substitute.

It is always the same in every Industry. The best keep their jobs, the replacable get fired.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
"We've realized that the adjustment period from remote to the office is taking longer than expected. To ensure we deliver the best product possible to our fans, we will now be planning to release the next installment of the Grand Theft Auto franchise in 2026. We appreciate your understanding."

- Rockstar (by the end of this Summer)

Sleepwalker

"We've realized that the adjustment period from remote to the office is taking longer than expected. To ensure we deliver the best product possible to our fans, we will now be planning to release the next installment of the Grand Theft Auto franchise in 2026. We appreciate your understanding."

- Rockstar (by the end of this Summer)
"For those who want to enjoy the Grand Theft Auto franchise in 2024 and 2025, we have a product just for you, it's called Grand Theft Auto V: Online. Shark cards are currently 20% OFF!"

StereoVsn

I work hybrid currently and this is the most accurate statement I've seen so far.

The amount of times a product manager just disappears is insane.
Yep, I just spent like 30 min chatting with one of my VPs on let’s say work adjacent stuff, and not directly applicable to my job.

And it’s not like I am going to go and say “Sorry Jim, I have more important stuff to do”.

It’s a myth that Office work is always more productive. And again, throw in at least an hour and usually more of commute a day for people.

StereoVsn

Never said all young people are like this.

I'm just saying in my office career anytime I've seen interview ghosters or quitters on the spot it's a recent thing with younger people. Never saw that ever earlier in my career from any age group.
Yeah, that started big time with all the hiring during COVID. Let’s face it, interviewers ghosted people all the time before, that was unfortunately often “normal” for some reason.

Covid has been used as an excuse for delays

People were asked to work from home.

Games were delayed.

So, if working from home is as efficient as working at the office, why are games being delayed?

You cannot blame Covid and also say that working from home doesn't impact productivity. One of the two is wrong.

There absolutely are jobs that can be effectively be done remotely and I completely support remote work when possible as it reduces employee burnout, saves employees potentially dozens of hours per week commuting, and reduces the environment impact of fossil fuels. But I don't think AAA game development is one of these types of jobs. You're a part of a team all trying to assemble a single product. I feel like in person work is needed to encourage communication and responsibility. If this was an independent studio that consisted of like 10 people, I feel like that's a small enough team that communication and responsibility can be managed remotely. But on a team of hundreds? Not so much.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Games were delayed.

So, if working from home is as efficient as working at the office, why are games being delayed?

You cannot blame Covid and also say that working from home doesn't impact productivity. One of the two is wrong.
But going from full office to full remote wasn’t a snap of the fingers. It took work and adjustment

I think most of us would love to work from home if we could, my job doesn't allow that because I work with the public but I just don't see how you can keep productivity up with the distractions that being home would present. As far as the younger crowd? So many of the younger people we hire SUCK! lol.

nush

Games were delayed.

XABTVorVODddu.webp

Top Bottom