• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 will use addaptive tesselation

1-D_FTW

why would sony cut off drive club at the knees?

Probably for people like me. I only buy launch consoles when there's a library I'm excited about. Drive Club isn't a game that interests me slightly (I'm wheel only when it comes to racers). GT6 would have me there day one. If not, they better show something they haven't already. Because otherwise I'll skip till a later time.

I dont think 'adaptive tessellation' is for geometry, but for shadows and textures.
There is quite substantial downgrade in terms of textures and metal shaders on cars, also on Trailers some cars lack self-shadowing.
Maybe its for geometry, but track geometry, so just more efficient LOD system, which was almost absent in GT 5.
Nah it's definitely for geometry on the vehicles. Look at the new models - can you see any poly edges around the curves of the headlights, for example?

Perkel

Banned
I dont think 'adaptive tessellation' is for geometry, but for shadows and textures.
There is quite substantial downgrade in terms of textures and metal shaders on cars, also on Trailers some cars lack self-shadowing.
Maybe its for geometry, but track geometry, so just more efficient LOD system, which was almost absent in GT 5.

Look again they have self shadows

SLS_AMG_GT3_02.jpg

KKRT00

Nah it's definitely for geometry on the vehicles. Look at the new models - can you see any poly edges around the curves of the headlights, for example?

They could increase LOD0 geometry of cars or just use LOD0 for Photomode shots like Forza. That doesnt mean that they are tessellated.

pottuvoi

Banned
There isn't much that the PS3 can't do the question is how good can it do tessellation.
Well, we know SPUs are very good at vector calculations and that all games already go trough geometry with them to get RSX give decent performance.

They most likely do not use polygons to describe the cars and road anymore, but some other description of surface like patches of B-Spline or Catmull-Clark.
Send patches to SPU and use it to tesselate, evaluate the surface and convert it to polygons for RSX to render.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LabouredSubterfuge said:
That's just tessellation.
No - tesselation is creating new polygons from existing ones - regardless of the size or position of objects on the screen.

onQ123 said:
There isn't much that the PS3 can't do the question is how good can it do tessellation.
It's one of the things SPEs pretty much excel at (as did PS2 VUs for that matter).

pottuvoi

Banned
which means that opsite of that (size and position of objects on screen) is adaptive tesselation.
No, that would be polygon reduction algorithm, like progressive meshes and such.
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/pm/
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/newqem/

Adaptive tesselation just means that you can feed parameter to tesselator, which tells how much you want to object or part of it to be tesselated during runtime.

Also I'm quite sure that they will not use displacement mapping with the tesselation, it wouldn't make sense on Ps3.

Perkel

Banned

Uhh since when self shadowing will be in your face everywhere ? Most of cars in trailer didn't really have any self-shadowing sources also light condition were not excellent.

Fire up GT5 and look for self shadowing on less than full sun and you will see that it is toned down a lot.

Perkel

Banned
oooh fancy new adaptive tesselation!

*polyphony still uses standard models for majority of cars*

59Vt6.gif

we don't know about that yet. I am 99% sure there will be standard cars but this question will be asked by Jordan from GTP

Also what this has to do with standard cars being in GT ?

KKRT00

Uhh since when self shadowing will be in your face everywhere ? Most of cars in trailer didn't really have any self-shadowing sources also light condition were not excellent.

Fire up GT5 and look for self shadowing on less than full sun and you will see that it is toned down a lot.

In GT 5 self-shadowing was always when it could be [so when wasnt in shadow], sometimes very low res, but there was always.

Perkel

Banned
In GT 5 self-shadowing was always when it could be [so when wasnt in shadow], sometimes very low res, but there was always.

here :

dataudiquattrotsurc.gif

look at the trunk under wing at the end of gif. Self shadows are simply much much much smoother than they were in GT5 (low res and hard)

they fixed them

Akira_83

Banned
we don't know about that yet. I am 99% sure there will be standard cars but this question will be asked by Jordan from GTP

Also what this has to do with standard cars being in GT ?

who gives a damn about some tesselation or some other smoke and mirrors graphics effects when the core of the game is still using assets from a game released in 2005

what is this, amateur hour?

Tessellation is seamless in a way that different LODs aren't. But it's part of the DX11 API. The big question is, how are Polyphony accomplishing tessellation on the PS3? Doing it in software would be way too expensive versus the added benefit.

It just an algorithm you can program it.......
SPU probably would like that.

Akira_83

Banned
More like junior hour. Tesselation doesn't have to do anything with standard cars.

Want to complain about standard cars go to official GT6 coming holiday thread

maybe indirectly, but it does

its like focusing on scooping water out of a sinking boat while ignoring the large hole in the bow

my argument is how am i supposed to care about what tesselation will bring to GT6 when ill still want to gouge my eyes out looking at standard car assets. and its like PD just doesnt get it

now if tesselation literally will allow it to automatically scale lower poly assets to "premium" level cars without PD having to remaster them, then thats great

but thats not what tesselation means if my memory serves me

Daingurse

I didn't even know the PS3 and 360 were capable of any kind of tessellation prior to reading this thread. That's pretty interesting. Every day is a school day.

Emwitus

Who in the right mind would buy Drive Club at launch at full price if GT6 would come 6 months later? And more important, why not wait 6 months before buying the PS4 (and discounted launch games) if you can enjoy meanwhile great games on PS3 ?

The same people that would buy motorstorm or need for speed?

Perkel

Banned
maybe indirectly, but it does

its like focusing on scooping water out of a sinking boat while ignoring the large hole in the bow

my argument is how am i supposed to care about what tesselation will bring to GT6 when ill still want to gouge my eyes out looking at standard car assets. and its like PD just doesnt get it

now if tesselation literally will allow it to automatically scale lower poly assets to "premium" level cars without PD having to remaster them, then thats great

but thats not what tesselation means if my memory serves me

This isn't standard car thread. Want to whine about standard cars go to official thread and stop derailing thread.

Gestault

With respect, is there any information out there to what, specifically, "adaptive tessellation" is in GT6? I see this thread, and people excited for it as a feature, and no one able to answer what it actually is. It strikes me as exactly why people make fun of the excitement for GDDR5 with no basis in what fast ram actually achieves.

I'm not clear, if it's actually tessellation, why it wouldn't be called that. And what detail we have describes precalculated LOD variation, which is a different process.

Swifty

Graphics coder here. Tessellation let's us break up a mesh into a more complex mesh for use in something like displacement mapping. The question is how much we breakup the mesh. Adaptive tessellation let's us break up the mesh using dynamic factors such as distance, occlusion, and size.

Tessellation wasn't originally supported on the PS3 so it's likely they're doing this as an SPE job. PS4 has tessellation support from the get go.

Gestault

This isn't standard car thread. Want to whine about standard cars go to official thread and stop derailing thread.

The comment you quoted was specifically discussing the ramifications for tessellation in potentially improving the bad modelling on some of the cars in GT5. You not wanting to hear it isn't the same as off topic.

Swifty

GT already does this so it's probably a new way of doing it.
The difference between this and the traditional way of doing LODs is memory. With traditional LODs, you need to store a separate mesh for each model's level of detail. With adaptive tessellation, you can potentially just store a base model and let the tessellation shaders handle how many primitives are produced.

GT already does this so it's probably a new way of doing it.

Lods is just switching in a more complex model.
With tessellation you can have one model and some data on where to tessellate the quads.
Adaptive Tessellation is probably used to save memory but give up some computation time.

At least that is what it sounds like in my head :p

Jonsoncao

Banned
I believe OP does know nothing about "adaptive tessellation" as the technique which is (a)essentially computing an indicator or potential function to adaptively coarsen/refine mesh for the objective functional(lighting, fluid, elastic deformation), or (b)performing mesh refining automatically where the mean curvature is large.

What you posted are just meshes with different LODs. They seem to have nothing to do with adaptive tessellation that is widely used in the scientific community to solve the electromagnetic wave propagation numerical simulation problem (for e.g. ray tracing).

Waaghals

It is but it's a tricky thing to implement with tessellation.

Tessellation and dynamic LOD are entirely separate things, but it is one of those things that makes sense to use together.

Yeah, but it can't be hardware tessellation, as the PS3 lacks one of those. It is possible it is some sort of dynamic on the fly polygon reduction rather than "popping" between a few different LODs.

Top Bottom