• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, why exactly did Microsoft wait this long to reveal the Xbox One?

Tookay

Isn't that standard stuff though? "Look at how many more polygons we can fit in our games with this new amazing hardware!"

There was a particular desperation to it this go-around; the fact that they even needed a comparison section between MW3 and Ghosts showed how little discernible improvement there was.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
At this point, I'm worried about what we're going to see at E3 - three weeks from now. Will we even get playable demos of anything?

I played a lot of Xbox and Gamecube games at E3 2001. A lack of demos would be worrying.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Blows my mind that they delayed the conference a month and came out with this. It's fucking amazing.

I don't even want to know what they had set up a month back... *shudders*

They missed a huge opportunity to wow gamers worldwide with this reveal because when it comes to E3 and games, Sony will own them left, right and center. Besides from the DLC exclusives of some multiplat games, I can't see them outdo Sony when it comes to games at E3.

conman

Honestly, I think they had to finalize cable and NFL deals. Remains to be seen whether the wait was worth the effort.

Pavaloo

They showed off the box, the controller, the UI, and the ability to switch between TV/internet/games quickly. They showed the new Kinect usability, intro'd three or four EA games with a bunch of talk about their new engine for next gen, a new IP from Remedy, the Halo TV show with Spielberg, revealed Forza 5 for launch, talked TV interaction functionality, and teased a bunch of other games with the tiles they showed during the UI portion. They also showed the latest game from the biggest gaming property of all time to close the show.

That's not bad for an hour. People may have had ridiculous expectations.

Yup. They've got E3 to show their real gaming focus on the system as well, which is super close.

Matt

They are way, way behind schedule. Virtually nothing is on schedule, from games to services to hardware. It's a clusterfuck.

Pikma

Banned
They showed off the box, the controller, the UI, and the ability to switch between TV/internet/games quickly. They showed the new Kinect usability, intro'd three or four EA games with a bunch of talk about their new engine for next gen, a new IP from Remedy, the Halo TV show with Spielberg, revealed Forza 5 for launch, talked TV interaction functionality, and teased a bunch of other games with the tiles they showed during the UI portion. They also showed the latest game from the biggest gaming property of all time to close the show.

That's not bad for an hour. People may have had ridiculous expectations.

Yeah, It was quite naive of me to expect actual games from a game console reveal.

I had a theory that maybe the game recording wasn't initially there and was added because of Sony. It just seems a bit odd that both were working on that aspect.

It took so long because they were trying to figure out a way to sugar coat all the anti-consumer bullshit that they have packed into their latest system.

They failed.

Orca

Yeah, It was quite naive of me to expect actual games from a game console reveal.

Strange, did you not notice that about the last half of it was games? EA had a bunch there. Forza 5 was announced for launch. They showed off two of their 15 first-party first-year exclusives that's in the works. They even had the latest game in the biggest franchise of all time there. Strange you wouldn't have seen that stuff.

I had a theory that maybe the game recording wasn't initially there and was added because of Sony. It just seems a bit odd that both were working on that aspect.

They patented recording and distributing video from your games, along with tip sheet style annotations and other help info, about a year to a year and a half ago. They've been working on that for a while.

SparkTR

Probably to finalise the box. The PS4 reveal was ripped to shreds my the mainstream media due to it not having a box to show. Microsoft didn't want to make the same mistake, but unfortunately they made a whole bunch of new ones.

Now that you mention it, nothing in the reveal really indicated anything that couldn't have been shown a lot earlier.

I'm assuming all of EA Sports' stuff is well under way - and it was per-rendered. Likewise COD: Ghosts was probably very far along already earlier.

Unless the actual system itself in terms of design and functionality wasn't ready yet.
They are way, way behind schedule. Virtually nothing is on schedule, from games to services to hardware. It's a clusterfuck.
Are you speaking based on first-hand information?

Reminds me of when the name "Wii" was announced. They did it prior to E3 to let gamers trash it early. Then when E3 came, they showed off games, people got excited, and the console became a hit.

Maybe MS expected a negative reaction and is hoping that showing off the games at E3 will get people excited enough to forget about the flaws of the hardware and Internet stuff.

Sec0nd

Because this presentation for tailor made for the broader audience/mainstream with the heavy focus on the TV stuff. They need E3 right after it if they are to win any hardcore gamers over.

They patented recording and distributing video from your games, along with tip sheet style annotations and other help info, about a year to a year and a half ago. They've been working on that for a while.

Ah, didn't realize that. The quick clip they had seemed like a quick mock up thrown together.

Top Bottom