• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW GTA4 Trailer coming! Pretenders cry, R* ain't giving up the crown.

kevm3

Nameless said:
Yeah, I've been saying this all along. Sony better hope to god they can keep MGS4 exlcusive and that Konami can get it out this year because theres little chance they can combat the two most talked and hyped about games of the year coming to the console thats $200 cheaper.

360's holiday season reminds me alot of the PS2's 2001 where they had the triple threat of FFX, GTA III, and MGS2 headlining a line-up that included tons of great 3rd and 1st party games. I'm a fan of Sony and the PS3 brand but I don't see how any gamer can pass up GTAIV, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, DMC 4, Ace Combat 6, and Half Life Orange all on one platform thats $400. The 360 has core Xbox franchises as well as series that are traditionally associated with the playstation brand. I think they'll attract a ton of people to their console this year.

Exactly. I'm a big PS fan as well... In fact, I'm playing Socom now. However, with Sony's 3rd party blunders, they've pretty much let Microsoft become the new "PLAY"station. They've got many of the franchises in the past that have defined the Playstation. I hope for Sony's sake as well that they can keep two measly games exclusive: Final Fantasy 13 and Metal Gear... Well three. Throw Tekken in that mix as well.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been home for about 2 hours now, got the trailer right away in HD on my 360, and since I wanted to unwind from a long day, I spend all that time reading from page 34 till here at page 72 just to see how GAF was while I was out... :lol

First of all, the scope, lighting, tone and realism of this game is simply incredible - the people that went "meh" (damn I hate that word) need to be slapped...

Texture-wise, the game is a bit on the poor side in a few areas (Saint's Row and Crackdown having much sharper textures), but man the city looks so detailed geometry-wise - love how smooth everything animates as well too...

At first I wasn't digging how the Russian guy looked, but after watching the trailer over and over for the past few hours made him grow on me - with the serious, realistic tone of this teaser (gigantic tease BTW, this ain't no trailer!), I predict things are gonna get uglier than they've ever been in a GTA game before...

I've played a little of all of the GTA's before, and other that Vice City, I've never had the urge to buy one (still never got VC because of the turn-off from the graphics and controls) but this one looks to be my first GTA purchase...

If they can get the controls of either Saint's or Crackdown, it'd be perfect in my book...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GameGamer said:
+ graphics looking good

- zero indoor shots

bscap0008go4.jpg

Defuser said:
I was right... GTAforums.com is guranteed to have a long detailed summary of it :lol
Looks like Rockstar is gonna do the whole NYC state instead of NYC city
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=271120
The game will take place in a version of New York State. The name of the state is unknown. I've always said it might be called New Liberty, because it looks like they are continuing the trend of "fake" cities/state names. Liberty City will be part of this state, but as we can see, there is much more to this state than just LC. Liberty City itself has not changed, aside from the obvious graphical upgrade. Now, anyone remember Shoreside Vale in GTA 3 and LCS? It had tunnels inside it's mountains, that were blocked off. These tunnels lead to the other sections of this un-named state, that LC is in. In LCS, there is a sign that says "Upstate". So we can assume that the game will take place in an entire state, which includes Liberty City. We can also assume that there will be countryside, including the mountains in LC. Don't get pissed because we're going back to LC again, there will be much more to the map. And for all you know, we might visit other cities/states/countries anyway. The Empire State Building is in the trailer, along with the Statue of Liberty, as well as various other well known New York landmarks, most of which we never saw in LC/GTA 3.

GTA3=New York City/Liberty City
GTA4=New York State/? which obviously includes NYC/LC.

LC is most likely not changing in GTA IV, we're probably just seeing what lies beyond it. There is also a lot being added to it, but the basic map design seems to be the same. Of course we're going to see new buildings like the Empire State Building, but that's just because many of the taller buildings in GTA 3 where throwaway's, and most of them were not even complete models, nor were they fully solid, so thats why they did that. They patched up the incomplete models by replacing them altogether, and creating new connections to NY in the process. What else is in this state? We can tell there's a GTA version of the Statue Of Liberty, a funpark including a rollercoster, and much more. These are all most likely outside of LC, not part of it.

Oohh, sounds nice.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
theBishop said:
Listen to the GameTheory podcast where Phil Harrison says its coming this year. :lol
He said within next 12 months. There are rumors of GT5 prologue coming late 07 (for a cheap price), and the final GT5 coming early 08...so that kinda goes along with what he said.

bry-bry

mckmas8808 said:
Why you say that bry-bry?

Seriously, no offense, it's just funny that keep responding to 360-related posts with PS3 info (achievements/trophies and trailers). Nothing derogatory intended.:)

kevm3

I hope the PS3 version will have custom soundtracks.

But system differences aside, I really hope they keep the large level of character customization that was in GTA SA and add upon it. Give me houses with much more interactive elements, more clothes, more of all of that way to 'individualize' our character.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its sounding like Liberty City is but a small piece of Liberty State :D :D :D

I loved the feeling I got when I got out of Grove Street in GTA: SA and the world just kept on getting bigger.

And who cares about the System Wars bullshit, keep that out of this thread :wag

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My great comments are ignored because of DUMBASS WII/360/PS3 PISSING CONTEST!

So here is another one. I think they made his appearance purposely ambiguous. Why? Because I'm sure he will be called a "soviet" AND a "****ing terrorist" or "arab" by the people he will meet in the game. If they really play well on the theme of the "foreigner" in the big city then this would fit nicely.

Mobster (mission giver): Hey listen you ****ing rusky!

Protagonist: Hey! I'm not Russian.

Later on...

Mobster (another mission giver): "You better do as I say or I'm sending your shikababian ass to Getmo!"

Protagonist: Hey! I'm not arab!

I would lol:)

C4Lukins

Ranger X said:
So that New York state thing is pure speculation...

Yes, I do not see anything in the trailer that proves or even suggests it is the entire state. I think it is a pretty good guess though. Just having Liberty City would be a bit of a step backwards. A lot of people really enjoyed the wide open environments in parts of San Andreas, and I hope they include something similar. I am excited about Liberty City, I just hope for a bit more.

I'm excited for the game, but this trailer (more like teaser) was pants. They should not have hyped it up like that and then showed nothing. And the main character... if he is an ex-KGB agent or something that would be cool, but he's a bit ugly for my taste. This series has the worst character design, I swear. Looks a lot like Borat (I'm sure someone's already mentioned this). And the beginning of the trailer makes you think Spiderman's going to come swinging around a building. What the hell? A big build-up to nothing (that summarizes both the trailer and the hype).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bry-bry said:
Seriously, no offense, it's just funny that keep responding to 360-related posts with PS3 info (achievements/trophies and trailers). Nothing derogatory intended.:)

I was trying to be funny, but informitive at the same time. Glad you noticed. :)

I hope Rockstar doesn't fall for real ads. There will be countless spots to display ads in the game. T2 might be considering this since their numbers are in red, and even with ads this game will sell in millions.

Dolphin

Banned
Wow, much better looking than I was expecting (especially the buildings).

Am I the only one that thinks the character animation looks a little stiff though? Conversely, the car physics and animation look really great.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
jet1911 said:
The only thing R* did was to put a timer on a webpage. We hyped this to the point where it is now. ;)

Actually they had been buying large amounts of ad time on FX with nothing but the countdown clock.

neptunes

They should not have hyped it up like that and then showed nothing.
I'm sure TAKE 2's Stocks increased a little bit more just before it trading day closed.

This was probably the reason why they hyped it up.

J2 Cool

chubigans said:
Someone said in next month's GI will be GTA4 coverage?

Wouldn't be suprised. They were the first to unveil GTA3 back in the day before the real hype began. It was quite an awesome preview too, and got me really hyped for the game. Here's hoping for as detailed a preview this time around.

DMczaf said:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8957/b6c8aba2er3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1838/a4e4850bkd7.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/d/5/8d5f8a1f84a9d5e8549911232c59f1be.gif

:lol Pretty sweet, but I do hope that it's so expanded and authentic to NYC that I feel like in a place I've never been. I love the feel of these massive, sprawling, uncharted cities in GTA games. And the scale being bumped up as it is - it should be amazing. Here's hoping the gameplay delivers as impressively.

Also, I'm in support of a darker, more realistic game as well. While it's fun to mess with the freedom given - and I hope they maintain that - I don't want to be given too much freedom being a lowly immigrant. Gaining the power to control such a city is the real fun. The more they can convince the player how much the game has changed - and the discpline they have in rewarding the player for developing throughout the game will be where it's really at.

Anyway, time to start setting up shop. This will be a grand occasion in videogames. Now on the lookout for HDTV deals

Ranger X

C4Lukins said:
Yes, I do not see anything in the trailer that proves or even suggests it is the entire state. I think it is a pretty good guess though. Just having Liberty City would be a bit of a step backwards. A lot of people really enjoyed the wide open environments in parts of San Andreas, and I hope they include something similar. I am excited about Liberty City, I just hope for a bit more.

You see, this is where people fail. Having just Liberty City could be even more awesome than having a game bigger than San Andreas.
If you do a big country, less time is devoted to everything else. San Andreas was possible because it was expanding on the frame of GTA3. All the gameplay and shit was there, they took all the time to make the landscape huge that's all.

What if you have just Liberty City this time around but that the detail and interaction completely blow out any other GTA to date? What if you can follow the day of any pedestrian you encounter in the city? What if the story is dynamic to what you do? What if there's physics down to the ****ing Pepsi can that comes out of the distribution machine?
What if you can enter all buildings?

By having only one city, they could put the GTA gameplay and immersion to a whole new level of awesomeness. And this matter a shit ton more than having the whole state of New York to explore.

theBishop

Banned
It looks like the Source Engine with HDR to me. That's not a bad thing if the city (state :lol) is really huge or highly detailed.

Unfortunately, the trailer doesn't hint at any revolutionary new gameplay component or massive online functionality.

The character is intriguing though, so i'm definitely excited for it.

GTA4:2 will probably blow this out of the water.

goomba

Banned
kevm3 said:
This game has just as much potential to hurt Sony as well. I'm sure the PS3 and 360 versions will be extremely close in visuals... so when it comes down to purchasing new systems, people are going to look at GTA+other games. If Sony doesn't have a big title to compete with Halo 3, people are going to buy a 360 for GTA. GTA+Halo 3+$400 or GTA+$500-$600?

Depends if they want a blue ray player and wifi

LJ11 said:
:lol

I thought he was Russian? A Russian can also be a follower of Islam, I have no idea how you could draw that conclusion from the trailer.

Awesome trailer, but I hate the character design. Everything else looked good.

Well, he looks like he's in-between; visually, he looks Muslim and audibly, he sound Russian.

Anyhoo, I like his looks. It's a change from all other games. Like the characters from KANE & LYNCH, they don't look good but they have personality! ;-)

This shit's on marketplace RIGHT NOW??

Good show, MS. Really nice positioning. Same day arrival on XBLM, make those links between this game and the 360 EARLY and OFTEN.

jet1911 said:
The only thing R* did was to put a timer on a webpage. We hyped this to the point where it is now. ;)
If it weren't for the ;) I would think you're crazy for saying that (I'm still unsure). Hype is hype. It's all intentional.

And I realize why they hyped this non-trailer, but it didn't leave a positive impression on me. It probably won't hurt the game, but seriously, I don't feel like I know anything more about the game. What the hell am I going to be playing later this year? A Spiderman trailer simulation?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pokeylongo said:
If it weren't for the ;) I would think you're crazy for saying that (I'm still unsure). Hype is hype. It's all intentional.

And I realize why they hyped this non-trailer, but it didn't leave a positive impression on me. It probably won't hurt the game, but seriously, I don't feel like I know anything more about the game. What the hell am I going to be playing later this year? A Spiderman trailer simulation?

Well the first trailers of the recent GTA games usually don't have that much action. The second trailer is when they start showing off explosions with fast paced music in the background.

theBishop

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Alright, I've watched this ****er like a dozen times now. I'm gonna say best trailer since 'Mad World'.

I love this thing.

Really? I was more impressed with the original Vice City Stories trailer than this. Mainly because it showed more characters, and had better dialog. I'm sure this game will devastate all previous GTAs though.

The recent Ratchet and Clank trailer owns them both though :)

I'm dissapointed that they're going back to Liberty City, but the graphics are unimpeachably awesome, that's for sure. :D
theBishop said:
Listen to the GameTheory podcast where Phil Harrison says its coming this year. :lol
Oh man, they're not going to force Polyphony to rush out GT5 so that the ricer lemmings can take the thunder away from Forza 2, right?
Please don't ban me.

C4Lukins

Ranger X said:
You see, this is where people fail. Having just Liberty City could be even more awesome than having a game bigger than San Andreas.
If you do a big country, less time is devoted to everything else. San Andreas was possible because it was expanding on the frame of GTA3. All the gameplay and shit was there, they took all the time to make the landscape huge that's all.

What if you have just Liberty City this time around but that the detail and interaction completely blow out any other GTA to date? What if you can follow the day of any pedestrian you encounter in the city? What if the story is dynamic to what you do? What if there's physics down to the ****ing Pepsi can that comes out of the distribution machine?
What if you can enter all buildings?

By having only one city, they could put the GTA gameplay and immersion to a whole new level of awesomeness. And this matter a shit ton more than having the whole state of New York to explore.

I only want one city. I am not asking that it is bigger then San Andreas. San Andreas was a bit of a mess with a lot of shit just tacked on for the sake of it. The Vegas portion of it was particuraly unintresting when it should of been one of the cooler aspects. I am talking about just a large landmass outside of the main city that allows for exploration outside of the concrete jungle atmoshphere. Liberty City is not all that great as far as the racing and driving aspects of GTA. They are better suited for long stretches of empty roads, dirt paths and countryside. I guess they could just make a huge Central Park area, but I would prefer somethign a little more wide open. It is not something that would require the depth of Liberty City itself. It certainly does not need 3 half baked cities like San Andreas had.

Top Bottom