• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TVTVTVTVTV! Xbox One Goes to Hollywood

No, what I mean is, if microsoft has all these rummored third party exclusives, why did they not include those with their 15 1st party games when they annouced them? If at their xbox reveal they said we will announce 21 exclusives it ould have sounded better.

Because the guy who made that claim is Phil Spencer, Vice President of Microsoft Studios, talking specifically about investment in Microsoft Studios.

Kyoufu

I'm baffled at GAF's stupid point of view on the Xbox One.

As if a box couldn't do more than one thing, as if they had never played music or movies on 360/PS4.

Or is this silly "TV TV TV" line from Nintendo fans?

It's not the TV features that puts us off. It's the compromises made with the hardware specs to support said features.

jaypah

Is it wrong for anybody to wait for concrete proof that these 15 exclusive titles are going to be targeted towards "hardcores?" For all we know, they could be a mixture of Kinect games & XBLA games.

No, that actually seems like the sane thing to do. For either side. It makes no sense to go off on a tirade about "MS is dropping bombs, 15 exclusives" or "Those exclusives will be shit, tvtvtv sports!" because in 6 days you could look like a complete idiot. I could understand if E3 was 10 months away, but it's literally next week.

Melchiah

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-on-xbox-one-indies-pre-owned-games-and-more/

.....Microsoft Studios is making over 15 exclusive games that will be coming to Xbox One, eight of which are brand new IPs....

Neither of those really exclude the 2nd party games, that are bought (and sometimes co-developed) instead of developed by Microsoft from the ground up.

Euc4HBr.jpg
hlMjzUD.jpg

Who asked for this?

I didn't realize people had to ask for something for someone to make something.

It's not the TV features that puts us off. It's the compromises made with the hardware specs to support said features.

Ah yes, the good ol number battles. Let's wait until we see the actual games running before we start judging the consoles. Forza 5 and Quantum Break was trailers for games running on dev kits. They looked pretty fucking great to me.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Ballmer: "The FUTURE of entertainment... is network television sitcoms and dramas! We're talking exclusive NCIS and Bones apps,
...sma.rt gueser. hat off tu u.

Who asked for this?
fhtuure Sonicsonwer.balmer.

21/5 promoshtow was fakked from minut one.non of hte tvstuff ins ready yet.

HIX? nojustnoo.no.stahlp.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Why do people think 15 titles for Xbox One in the first year is outside the realm of possibility? Sony managed to do 28 first party exclusives in it's first year for the PS3 (including 8 downloadable titles, and not including crappy filler like "Go Sports SKI!"). 15 is a very easy target to hit.

Melchiah

Why do people think 15 titles for Xbox One in the first year is outside the realm of possibility? Sony managed to do 28 first party exclusives in it's first year for the PS3 (including 8 downloadable titles). 15 is a very easy target to hit.

I personally don't think it's impossible, but I think the number includes games from outside of Microsoft's own studios.

jaypah

Why do people think 15 titles for Xbox One in the first year is outside the realm of possibility? Sony managed to do 28 first party exclusives in it's first year for the PS3 (including 8 downloadable titles). 15 is a very easy target to hit.
The people who think it's impossible might not be the type to WANT it to happen. Naturally I think it's possible. Quality-wise, who knows?

Sony talks with Devs and Indis. MS talks with Hollywood.

Exactly, with Microsoft saying they have a "plan" to reach out to Indie Devs, who seem to be left out in the Xbone dark right now, you would think they would be trying to meet with them.

Oh well, you cannot spell Xbone or XboxOne without the letters " Xbox Exclusive Television Content."

Why do people think 15 titles for Xbox One in the first year is outside the realm of possibility? Sony managed to do 28 first party exclusives in it's first year for the PS3 (including 8 downloadable titles, and not including crappy filler like "Go Sports SKI!"). 15 is a very easy target to hit.

They did? That many? Do you have a list?

jaypah

Wiki probably has them broken down by year of release.

Oh wow. All of the TV stuff? Jeez!

Yeah, we found out shortly after the show. Apparently that wasn't the actual episode of Price is Right that was live at the time. Plus there were videos of an actual demonstration and while it worked ok (choppy video on initial channel pull-up) it wasn't as smooth as the stage presentation.

RulkezX

That's not the point: Microsoft seems to focus too much on incidental stuff not interesting to gamers - the TV streaming functionality is going to be present on pretty much any device, that's expected nowadays. But the games are the differentiator from their competition - something Microsoft seems to have forgotten.

Instead, they seem to be trying to sell a "mass media entertainment box" to a wider audience.

I would argue that just about anyone buying a console KNOWS it plays games as its base function, and those same people are very interested in what else it can do.

I'm going to see games in 6 days at E3 and I am going to read about games on a daily basis from now until the day they launch.

I don't need Sony or Microsoft to tell me their consoles play games , it should be obvious to everyone. It's also not an issue to me or anyone else I know that their £3-400 plastic box will do more than simply play video games.

Genji: Days of the Blade
LocoRoco
NBA 07
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7 (PAL version co-published)

The Eye of Judgment
Folklore
Formula One Championship Edition
Heavenly Sword
Lair
MLB 07: The Show
MotorStorm
NBA 08
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
SingStar
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

PSN :

Blast Factor
Gran Turismo HD Concept
Go! Sudoku
Lemmings

Calling All Cars!
Everyday Shooter
Go! Sports Ski
flow
Go! Puzzle
High Velocity Bowling
LocoRoco Cocoreccho
Pain (Blu-ray disc in PAL)
PixelJunk Racers
Piyotama
Snakeball
Super Rub 'a' Dub
Super Stardust HD
Toy Home
Warhawk

Bgamer90

Banned
What's with this popular line of thinking on gaming forums that if a company does one thing (that ones aren't interested in), then they aren't doing another (...something that people will be interested in)?

Why is it impossible to do/plan both?

...sma.rt gueser. hat off tu u.

fhtuure Sonicsonwer.balmer.

21/5 promoshtow was fakked from minut one.non of hte tvstuff ins ready yet.

HIX? nojustnoo.no.stahlp.

Its all right they have dead rising 3.

When you say Hix should stop, what do you mean?

I think he's saying stop believing all the PR.

What's with this popular line of thinking on gaming forums that if a company does one thing (that ones aren't interested in), then they aren't doing another (...something that people will be interested in)?

Opportunity cost. Its hard to argue this TV stuff will not effect MS's output.

It really is the 1990s all over again. Let me just state an irrefutable fact: you cannot marry the "storytelling power of TV with the interactive nature of games." It's a fucking pipe dream. They are two different mediums. At best, you'll get a half-baked version of what Kojima does. At worst, you get Night Trap and Sewer Shark.

listen to this man.

A simple read of any book on narrative would teach you that interactivity breaks true immersion.

You can be immersed in a story and you can be immersed in gameplay. you cannot be immersed in both in the same time, unless you are unaware you are playing a game a la matrix.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Sure:

November 2006-2007

Genji
NBA 07
Untold Legends (SOE)
F1 Championship
Motorstorm
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
LAIR
NBA 08
Folklore
Eye of Judgement
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted

Downloadables:

Blast Factor
Cash Guns Chaos
Lemmings
GripShift (SOE)
Flow
Super Rub a Dub
Calling all Cars!
Super Stardust HD
Piyotama
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip (SOE)
Everyday Shooter
PAIN
Pixeljunk Racers (part of a 3-game contract)
GO! Puzzle

I was a bit off; 14 were downloadable, 15 were retail games. So even if you don't count the downloads list you still have 15 first party games made in the first year. We're not sure if MS is counting downloadables in it's 15 (though I'm sure they are).

NCIS and Bones apps and they are well behind schedule. Oh and they are having heavy Kinect focus with heavy DRM.

The insiders have spoken and we're fucked. Honestly, I keep trying to keep positive.

Oh well.

Dai101

Banned

Some
gamers are idiots?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah there's a video interview where they actually show the real UI with the snap feature runs at like 5 frames per second. They faked all of it on stage.

Yeah, we found out shortly after the show. Apparently that wasn't the actual episode of Price is Right that was live at the time. Plus there were videos of an actual demonstration and while it worked ok (choppy video on initial channel pull-up) it wasn't as smooth as the stage presentation.

I didn't know that at all. Doesn't surprise me, as I'm sure the PS4 UI was faked too.

Melchiah

Sure:

November 2006-2007

Genji
NBA 07
Untold Legends (SOE)
F1 Championship
Motorstorm
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
LAIR
NBA 08
Folklore
Eye of Judgement
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted

Downloadables:

Blast Factor
Cash Guns Chaos
Lemmings
GripShift (SOE)
Flow
Super Rub a Dub
Calling all Cars!
Super Stardust HD
Piyotama
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip (SOE)
Everyday Shooter
PAIN
Pixeljunk Racers (part of a 3-game contract)
GO! Puzzle

I was a bit off; 14 were downloadable, 15 were retail games. So even if you don't count the downloads list you still have 15 first party games made in the first year. We're not sure if MS is counting downloadables in it's 15 (though I'm sure they are).

Huh! "The PS3 has no games", eventhough there were a plenty of gems for a variety of tastes. Well, perhaps not that much for the FPS fans.

Sure:

Oh I wasn't doubting you. I just never knew it was that high and was curious. I certainly don't recall there being that many and I think counting some things like Lemmings is pushing it, but that's an interesting data point. I would have guessed closer to 10 retail releases from memory.

patapuf

Not sure if that's what he's talking about, it's pretty indisputable that Microsoft have done things like open new gaming studios from scratch etc.

I think it's the "it'll be though for Sony to macht the 15 first party games" part. From an enthusiast point of view, we might want to see the games before we praise MS for the investment.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh I wasn't doubting you. I just never knew it was that high and was curious. I certainly don't recall there being that many and I think counting some things like Lemmings is pushing it, but that's an interesting data point. I would have guessed closer to 10 retail releases from memory.

I know, that kinda surprised me too when someone mentioned that earlier (I had to go get a list myself because I didn't believe it, hah). Also Lemmings is a Sony owned IP so I think it should count. :)

Well, absolutely it would be great if everything could launch with a demand for it. However, sometimes you need to create something new, in which case you start off with 0 demand for it.
Zero demand and zero latent consumer desire, outside of marketing and sales meetings, seemingly.

Top Bottom