• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo put Mario Party 8 in UK stores, then takes it out again...

nli10

Official Link

In the past few hours Nintendo recalled all copies of Mario Party 8 Wii from UK stores. Some Online retailers have already stopped listing it.

This is going to hurt Nintendo as there is a lot of TV advertising for this game and all the extra Wii stock is going to be eaten up before the game gets back into stores.

Xavien

Mrbob said:
Why the recall?

The above game was launched in the UK today. Unfortunately we have discovered that a small number of games contain the wrong version of the disk due to an assembly error. We have therefore decided to recall all copies of the game from UK retailers so that this mistake can be corrected.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
And to think I saw this on the store shelves earlier today as well. Was going to pick it up for a friend's birthday present.

...not that it would've mattered since I got the stuff I DID buy that day stolen anyway. Some damn schmuck would've gotten rich on the super rare limited edition mistake print instead. ._.

painey

if they are recalling it because it says "spastic" then its pretty scummy of them to claim its because of a "wrong version"

Jetku

painey said:
if they are recalling it because it says "spastic" then its pretty scummy of them to claim its because of a "wrong version"

It could have still been the wrong version though. Maybe most of the games already had 'spastic' removed..but it slipped few in some early pressings?

It could still be a legitimate reason.

Milpool

Got mine in the mail yesterday, haven't had a chance to play it yet due to my Wii being in for repair/replacement.

nli10

cjelly said:
Is anyone still selling them?

Might be worth sticking a few on fleaBay...

The rest of europe are selling it, and it will swap to the English mode when played - will have to check my friends copy. :D

Oh and it's F'n difficult to get called a spazz on the Mind Training one - you have to get less right than you would just at random, you have to really really try to fail.

MadFuzzy

Stop It said:
Oh dear god , NOE, get some ****ing QA that works BEFORE games ship, ffs.

It might be something to do with the fact that NOE's QA is done in Germany, so perhaps they don't have all that many British English speaking staff who could have picked up on it as being a problem? The use of the word is largely only really problematic in the UK, where it's been a non-PC playground insult since the 60s and 70s.

mollipen

TheGreatDave said:
I've got the US version; I was somewhat surprised at spastic being in the text. Does that have no connotations in the US?

Well, as Joe American, when I hear "spastic" I think about something going crazy or moving around in an erratic fashion. I don't really think of any connection to any sort of disability, and would think (assume?) most Americans would be the same.

I mean, I know the type of person that word COULD refer to, but I think the world is used far more commonly to the other meaning I originally mentioned.

MadFuzzy

USD said:
And apparently Ubisoft pulled a game two weeks ago (Mind Quiz: Your Brain Coach) because "spastic" was in the game.

I get the feeling that the Ubisoft recall probably sparked this off. There is a possibility that they may have tried to fix it by doing a reprint of the game at the last minute but somehow shipped "old" stock to the UK by mistake, hence this embarassing recall.

laserbeam

Banned
Yeah in America spastic or Spaz as its used more frequently has none of the negative mocking disability connotation as apparently elsewhere.

When we say someone is a spaz or spazing out we just mean they are acting weird or crazy.

Were just too PC when it comes to nudity etc and racial words.

probune

TheGreatDave said:
I've got the US version; I was somewhat surprised at spastic being in the text. Does that have no connotations in the US?

Nope, none at all. That word's offensive in the UK? Bizarre...

Capndrake

Was playing the EU version today (Got it a week ago, didn't play it till now) and it is in there. Also, Bowser calls you a moron at one point, if that counts for anything.

If it hasn't already been provided:

Mindquizspastic.jpg

Haunted

iirc, the German version does not have an 'offensive' word in that line. just something that could be translated as 'mixed up' or the like.

CapnDrake said:
Also, Bowser calls you a moron at one point, if that counts for anything.
OMG, recall!

Brandon F said:
Nude peach edition???
:eek:

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thank GOD none of the themed boards were based in Manchester!!! I'd have almost mailed an angry letter to NoE myself!!

Top Bottom