• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Looks much better than the first gen.

QVLAZa0.jpg

zLaVRpC.jpg

JtwmRr6.jpg

3hbcjmV.jpg

Shame about the wrong aspect ratio that makes it look like one of these comically large phones.

Looks great imo. Much better than the original N7.

Wouldn't go near another Android tablet though. Had some fun with the original N7 but the lack of tablet apps and the lag after 4.2 update really killed it for me. iPad Mini 2 for me.

Looks great imo. Much better than the original N7.

Wouldn't go near another Android tablet though. Had some fun with the original N7 but the lack of tablet apps and the lag after 4.2 update really killed it for me. iPad Mini 2 for me.
I'm the opposite. My wife's iPad retina is gorgeous (Mini would be a better size for me) but I can't bring myself to use it because I can't set default apps for various actions, can't quick toggle, and can't put widgets on a nice, big, hi-res homescreen.

Hopefully this new Nexus 7 addresses the terrible lag I'm guessing Tegra was at least partially responsible for?

VoxPop

I'm the opposite. My wife's iPad retina is gorgeous (Mini would be a better size for me) but I can't bring myself to use it because I can't set default apps for various actions, can't quick toggle, and can't put widgets on a nice, big, hi-res homescreen.

Hopefully this new Nexus 7 addresses the terrible lag I'm guessing Tegra was at least partially responsible for?

iOS is terrible without jailbreaking. You can get all those things once you jb minus the default apps (they have default app tweaks for certain things though like music player, maps, browser though)

gcubed

partially? Tegra is shit, was such a mistake for Google to use it. I'm sure the lag is also down to the OS as well, but the newer chipset should power through it (and hopefully the upcoming "refining" to accommodate lower performance devices fixes the rest). I still don't like the gigantic bezel

gcubed

The correct answer and perhaps when Samsung decides to unscrew up their implementation of Big.Little we can use Exynos again.

Speaking of which - http://t.co/iT0Rygi2a2

Hopefully this version is not as botched an implementation as the last one.

not holding my breath. I'm not sure how well android uses multiple cores anyway. Sammy dropped the ball on the exynos with LTE and big.little

Might also be the cheap ass flash storage, especially the 8gb versions have ridiculously bad emmc.

I'm buying the next one for sure but not day one and not until I thoroughly google for issues I have on my current N7.

HTC gone fucked up. This was their chance to release a small phone with S600 and 32GB and basically take the fight to Apple in their market and differentiate themselves from the S4 mini.

FWIW One mini vs Xperia SP:

SP:
130.6 x 67.1 x 10 mm
4.6" 720p
1.7GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 320

1GB RAM
8GB+MicroSD
LTE
8MP Exmor RS
2370mAh

One mini:
132 x 63.2 x 9.3 mm
4.3" 720p
1.4GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 305
1GB RAM
16GB
4MP Ultrapixel
LTE
1800mAh

Bolded specs are better. Plus the SP will get the same camera software update the Z and ZL got recently for better detail and HTC's 4MP is pretty poor so far and this is lacking the OIS which makes it worthwhile.

take the fight to Apple? really? why do you think Apple customers want a tiny phone? they've been clamoring for a larger one...

so do you think the Half will sell more or less than the Sony? and that SP still has a paltry 1GB of RAM

take the fight to Apple? really? why do you think Apple customers want a tiny phone? they've been clamoring for a larger one...

so do you think the Half will sell more or less than the Sony? and that SP still has a paltry 1GB of RAM

There are a lot of Apple users that wouldn't mind switching to Android if they could find a small phone that is still powerful, right now it doesn't exist.

They both have 1GB RAM. Overall sales in the mid-range will be S4 Mini >>>> Xperia L > Xperia SP > HTC Half.

Are there really, though? These claims are anecdotal at best.

I saw some UK market research data by Sony recently that was pretty compelling, but that's the UK. I don't know what it's like in the US where Apple have a much stronger hold of the market.

No, the Tegra chispset was not responsible for this all, it's been shown time and time again. The Nexus 7 didn't get to the point where it was even stressing the Tegra 3 SoC. The issue was due to a bug in the flash controller software;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2334811

This doesn't plaque the 32GB (Grouper) models..

Avtomat

I must have missed the memo. What's wrong with the Exynos in the S4?

nothing. but that is 6 month old tech now!

My understanding is that there is an issue with the cache coherency bus within the Exynos 5.

Fig_1_Cortex-A15_CCI_Cortex-A7_System.jpg

The URL is of the system architechture of a Big.Little presentation, The CCI-4000 interconnect on the Exynos 5 is broken completely. Traditionally Big.Little should be able to run in any of the following 3 modes:

a) All programs running on the little cluster of cores - Cortex A7
b) All programs running on the big cluster of cores - Cortex A15
c) Some programs running on the big cluster and some programs running on the little cluster

As the CCI-4000 is broken mode C does not work at all, secondly when you want to switch between mode A and mode B instead of all that being done on the processor itself via the CCI what instead happens is all the data gets pushed out to RAM and then read back in again incurring a performance and power penalty.

Long story short Samsungs Big.Little implementation is FUBAR.

Anand discusses it in his podcast here http://www.anandtech.com/show/7114/the-anandtech-podcast-episode-21

Forward to 1hr 12min.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just when I thought Chrome couldn't get any worse.

Really love constantly switching Tabs by scrolling from ¼ inch from the fucking bezel. Ugh. What is this Galaxy S4 sensitivity?!

Before it was slide you finger from the edge of the bezel towards the center to switch tabs. Now you can't scroll a fucking page without this bullshit. Google gonna Samsung.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Saw the other thread bumped and thought it was this one. I'll post it again.

Are there any performance differences between a 16gb vs 32gb device?

Not sure if I want to splurge on the 32gb N7.

Chinner

Banned
this thread is biased because half the posters are paid off by samsung/htc. everyone knows the best android phone is an iphone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm still really interested to see what kind of other non front facing changes 4.3 might bring. I wonder if it'll fix some of the speed and lag concerns or not.

Cipherr

Just when I thought Chrome couldn't get any worse.

Really love constantly switching Tabs by scrolling from ¼ inch from the fucking bezel. Ugh. What is this Galaxy S4 sensitivity?!

Before it was slide you finger from the edge of the bezel towards the center to switch tabs. Now you can't scroll a fucking page without this bullshit. Google gonna Samsung.

I have noticed this in chrome too, its FAR to sensitive, and it didnt see to be this way until recently. I feel like Im scrolling from damn near the center of my screen and it wants to switch fucking tabs. Super annoying.

http://techland.time.com/2013/07/18...romised-small-android-phone/?iid=tl-main-lead

98% chance Verizon just sends out a small press announcement about the htc one release date in the day following the droid event.

They did that with the Galaxy Note II and it survived...

Just when I thought Chrome couldn't get any worse. Really love constantly switching Tabs by scrolling from ¼ inch from the fucking bezel. Ugh. What is this Galaxy S4 sensitivity?! Before it was slide you finger from the edge of the bezel towards the center to switch tabs. Now you can't scroll a fucking page without this bullshit. Google gonna Samsung.
getfirefox.com

panda21

I have noticed this in chrome too, its FAR to sensitive, and it didnt see to be this way until recently. I feel like Im scrolling from damn near the center of my screen and it wants to switch fucking tabs. Super annoying.

i used to have the opposite problem (it was almost impossible to switch tabs by swiping from the edge), and now it works fine.

i guess its to do with the different phones being different

The One is pretty much DOA at this point anyways. Was anyone even waiting for the Verizon One in the first place ?

I am.

Droid line? If I'd want an ugly laggy mess with a bad camera I'd stick with my OG droid.
Xfone? Mid range ugly phone, no thanks.
S4? Already made my mind up on that one.
Nexus 5? Not coming to verizon.

Gaaraz

kaepernickehs said:
As for the gallery not syncing your picasa/g+ albums (they're both the same thing), it's because the AOSP gallery that CM uses isn't the same as the Gallery included with devices that are preloaded with Google apps. Google added the syncing with the gallery on top.

I'm not sure if the "google" gallery is on the market or not, but you might be able to find it on xda.
Thank you... I've searched the Play Store and can't find anything :( Is there any other way to get that Gallery onto my CM10.1 install so that I can get my Picasa photos automatically synced with my Gallery?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom