• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch emulator Yuzu officially comes to Android

Bernoulli

M2 slut

To be clear, this is an early access release, and it's not guaranteed to work on your device whatsoever. Nevertheless, Yuzu is currently the go-to emulator on PC for people who just want to set up and play their favorite Switch games on more powerful hardware, and it's great to see it finally come to Android. If you want to get started playing around with it, the Yuzu developers say that you'll need a Snapdragon 865 device or newer (Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 minimum preferred) along with 8GB of RAM.

As for other chipsets that aren't Qualcomm, MediaTek and Exynos devices are not expected to work, aside from maybe the Exynos 2200. You'll also need, Android 11 at minimum and GPU drivers that support certain Vulkan extensions, though the Google Play Store should tell you and not let you install the app if your phone doesn't meet those criteria.

Ps: is it ok to make posts like this about emulators here?

Tired from only playing Switch games on your PC?
Ever wanted to play on the go?
Switch gaming in your pocket

giphy-downsized-large.gif

daveonezero

Banned
Terrible news. Hope Nintendo send their ninjas after them.
If you want to play Nintendo Switch games, just buy a Nintendo Switch, easy.
My games. I can play them where I want.

It is a futile battle. I don’t even have a PC or android device. I play on switch and this hurts no one.
People act like laws can't change. Keep being this blasé about piracy and see what happens.

I like emulation, but I know better than to fuck around and find out.
IP laws are draconian and pre internet. Even if they did change they can’t shut down data and free speech protection in the US.

Not without shutting down huge swaths of the internet and violating people’s privacy even more than they do.

Media corps don’t have that much power.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

My TOTK is looking like that, ain't no way I'm playing the game on my Switch:

6qdD9a.png
6qdNLe.png
6qdFkx.png
6qdUlH.png
6qdcb1.png
6qdPak.png
Funny how nintendo could achieve what they want with far more ease by simply making PC ports, or even perhaps selling their own emulators.
Forget cheaper, it'd even make them more money.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm not convinced Nintendo would make more money in the grand scheme.
ah yes because some of the most desired, hyped up, beloved games in the world wouldn't do just as well and have exceedingly long legs on PC, a platform that has 2007/2012 games raking in extremely high playcounts to this day

BlackTron

Seems I struck a chord! I don't think it's a good idea for Sony either. I never said the ports wouldn't make money, I'm sure many many people would buy them. But is it a good idea from a brand management standpoint. In the end you can lose orders of magnitude more value than the straight dollar amount that the port brings in.

Sony doesn't only make money from selling first party games, they make $ on every transaction in their ecosystem. They should be using everything they have to drag you over to the PS5 so they can start passively milking you from everything else you might choose to do with it -like buying games they never even had to make but now get a cut because you got it on their platform.

Nintendo makes sure that you know the only way to play Mario and Zelda is to buy their hardware, so you just instantly give up and presto, you are in their ecosystem. Not to mention they always profit on hardware lol. Of course it would benefit us as customers more because we could just play Mario on PC if we want. But then Nintendo's brand would not be so ironclad, they would not print money so well, and we would get less outstanding Nintendo games. So would it really benefit us?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Funny how nintendo could achieve what they want with far more ease by simply making PC ports, or even perhaps selling their own emulators.
Forget cheaper, it'd even make them more money.
Never gonna happen but yeah I agree

Specs and mod list please :messenger_grinning_sweat:
4090/13700K and I use those mods + a custom Reshade:

image.png

Looks good besides being hideously overcontrasted
You can configure everything with Reshade. I like it like that but you can customize it at your preference.

Guilty_AI

Seems I struck a chord! I don't think it's a good idea for Sony either. I never said the ports wouldn't make money, I'm sure many many people would buy them. But is it a good idea from a brand management standpoint. In the end you can lose orders of magnitude more value than the straight dollar amount that the port brings in.

Sony doesn't only make money from selling first party games, they make $ on every transaction in their ecosystem. They should be using everything they have to drag you over to the PS5 so they can start passively milking you from everything else you might choose to do with it -like buying games they never even had to make but now get a cut because you got it on their platform.

Nintendo makes sure that you know the only way to play Mario and Zelda is to buy their hardware, so you just instantly give up and presto, you are in their ecosystem. Not to mention they always profit on hardware lol. Of course it would benefit us as customers more because we could just play Mario on PC if we want. But then Nintendo's brand would not be so ironclad, they would not print money so well, and we would get less outstanding Nintendo games. So would it really benefit us?
An emulator would still be their ecosystem. They could still profit by selling it, more per unit sold than a console possibly as there is no production nor shipping costs.

Next argument.

BlackTron

An emulator would still be their ecosystem. They could still profit by selling it, more per unit sold than a console possibly as there is no production nor shipping costs.

Next argument.
Some really major themes of my post went right over your head.

Guilty_AI

Some really major themes of my post went right over your head.
I don't want themes, i want arguments.

"Brand management" or "brand value" mean absolutely nothing until you properly elaborate how an emulator would supposedly negatively impact this, and what concrete consequences that would lead to - saying "they'll lose tons of muneh!!" is a vague conclusion without any arguments or explanations leading up to it.

Last edited:

Phase

Actually, performance is very impressive for an early port, especially if you've got a recent Qualcomm chip.

Here's a performance chart. 60fps in some games
b4q0kzS.png
Color me surprised. I guess my current 8 yr old phone clouds my judgment lol.

BlackTron

I don't want themes, i want arguments.

"Brand management" or "brand value" mean absolutely nothing until you properly elaborate how an emulator would supposedly negatively impact this, and what concrete consequences that would lead to - saying "they'll lose tons of muneh!!" is a vague conclusion without any arguments or explanations leading up to it.
I did elaborate, it's in the post, that's why I said you missed it.

Guilty_AI

I did elaborate, it's in the post, that's why I said you missed it.
Your elaboration was about the advantages of dragging people to their ecosystem, nothing more... and i clearly gave a counter-argument to that

An official emulator IS their ecosystem.

Now your turn.

Last edited:

Pelao

I hope that someday they will also port it to the Series X, even if it's only in dev mode, just for the convenience of having it on a console always connected to the TV.

Boglin

If Nintendo thought it would be profitable in both the short run and in the the long run, I think they'd already be selling an emulator on PC. But I don't think anyone here will be able to provide concrete arguments about the hypothetical situation because only Nintendo has the data to say anything concrete.

In my personal view, I think by locking their software to their own hardware, it creates a sort of halo effect for their products and the more time a customer is playing on Nintendo hardware, the more likely that customer is going to buy additional software for it, buy accessories, or buy hardware model refreshes.
Additionally on PC hardware, Nintendo would be competing with other stores and software for the players' time and focus which might lead to less engagement and interest in their own offerings.

//DEVIL//

So you can download Yuzu and Dolphin emulators on Android. but as soon as its about to hit on steam,,, hell is loose

Esppiral

While it being "the original" it performs way worse than skyline and Eggns. Games like super mario 3D land run at flawless 60 FPS on my phone with those emulators while it barely hits 30 fps with Yuzu.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
So you can download Yuzu and Dolphin emulators on Android. but as soon as its about to hit on steam,,, hell is loose
Valve reached out to nintendo to save themselves potential legal hassle, google just don't give a fuck about what is on their store.

Roni

Gold Member
If Nintendo doesn't go after Google like they're going after Valve (making an official request for taking the software listing down) then that's just proof Nintendo is a bully that only engages in their shenanigans when they're sure they can out litigate the little guy.

Sue Google, Nintendo. Do it!

Don't actually do it, stupid. You're gonna get burnt!

Last edited:
Top Bottom