• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite JRPG characters.

Isaccard

Final-Fantasy-XIII-Lightning.jpg

Dio

Banned
I think it's fair to say Estelle Bright is the heroine of Trails, since whenever you have singular control of a character that isn't the party it's always her and the second game is like that as well.

She became one of my favorite characters through simply being written so well and neither being pandering or forcibly subversive - she just is who she is, and it's great.

Espada

Jade from Tales of the Abyss
Emperor Peony from Tales of the Abyss
Balthier from Final Fantasy XII
Cid Highwind from Final Fantasy VII
Barret from Final Fantasy VII
Gregor from Fire Emblem: Awakening

These are characters that greatly enhance my enjoyment of their respective games. They're just too fun to see in action, and I always laugh at their actions and banter with others. Jade, Balthier, and Cid I'm especially fond of. Jade and Peony, for example. Man oh man are they hilarious.

Marshal Lee said:
Cruxie from YS7
Wow, that's a nice pick.
Gheis
and Dogi were my favorites in Ys 7, though.

Nothing's changed since the last time we had this thread, so:

Bebedora from Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. An utter whackjob, but in the best possible way. Easily the most hilarious, interesting and overall entertaining character in the game, and one of the most unique I've come across in the genre to date. To top it all off, she's a pretty fantastic party member as well. Also her English VA was infinitely superior to her JP equivalent.

Lyon from Suikoden V. Bodyguard, best friend, waifu, soulmate. Endearing character who never left my party except for when she was forced out (thereby halving my enjoyment of the game). Then she gets
the Twilight Rune
right at the end and becomes even more amazing. Her only flaw is that I now HAVE to get all 108 stars on every playthrough. Anyone who's finished it knows why.

Millenia from Grandia 2. Oozes personality and charm from every fibre of her demonic body. Her VA is still quite possibly the greatest (English) I've ever heard in a JRPG. In combat terms, she has my favourite moveset from the game and was appropriately adept at atomising adversaries. Elena is incredibly flat
dohoho
in comparison.

fader

Character development is cooooool

02.png

Luke from Tales of the Abyss.

There has never been a character I went to from completly hating... To feeling absolutely sorry for until HE came into my life.... Namco Bandai is so good at Plot Twists.

Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie from P4.
Stocke from Radiant Historia.
Robo and Frog from Chrono Trigger.
Owain from FE Awakening.
Eikichi and Maya from P2.
Raven from Vesperia.
Vivi and Steiner from FFIX.

The list could go on sooo much longer.

Blue-kun

Adol-Christin-and-Estelle-Bright.jpg

I'm just using this picture because it has two of my favourite characters together.

On the left is Adol Christin, from the Ys series. He doesn't speak (usually), but even so, Adol is like the king of adventurers. Unlike say, Link, where we usually only see one of his adventures and then change to a different one, Adol's the same guy saving all these different lands from disaster and always making some fine ladies fall in love with him, only to leave them and look for more perilous situations for him to solve.

On the right side, Estelle Bright. She's the heroine of Trails in the Sky/Sora no Kiseki FC and SC, and daughter of one of the most brilliant guys in the land. I find JRPGs usually have some very undecided leads, who are constantly questioning themselves, so Estelle is a pretty big thing for me, because her personality is just so bright (hah) that every moment she's on screen is pretty nice. Plus, despite all the things that happen to her, she's still pretty damn strong willed and's always trying to make the most out of life.

0660719001337340147.png

Wanted a good picture of the FE4 artwork but couldn't find it, so we'll roll with this. Celice/Seliph from Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu is probably my favourite FE Lord and one of my favourite characters. As many other Lords, some people might find him a bit cliche, with being good and respecting others and what not, and while I don't particularly disagree, FE4 just pulls some great twists when introducing the children characters and Seliph's whole ordeal just pulls me in.

Persona86

Banned
Joking right? Neither of them look the least bit feminine.

Uh not joking? I haven't played these games.

The second character looks like a ripped strong woman, the way the clothes only cover the breast area made me think it was a woman.

The first character looks like a girl with a flat chest.

I have nothing against men with long hair etc, it's just that certain artstyles make it hard to tell if someone is male or female.

Leeness

I'm lazy so I'll just go with casts.

Cast of FFIX
Cast of Xenoblade
Cast of Mother 3
Most of the cast of Xenosaga
Cast of FFXII

Fou-Lu

Uh not joking? I haven't played these games.

The second character looks like a ripped strong woman, the way the clothes only cover the breast area made me think it was a woman.

The first character looks like a girl with a flat chest.

I have nothing against men with long hair etc, it's just that certain artstyles make it hard to tell if someone is male or female.

Maybe I've just played too many JRPGs and watch too much anime, but as far as the artstyle goes both of them lack any of the feminine signifiers common in anime art. I honestly can't even manage to look at them and think "I guess I could see why someone would make that mistake."

Persona86

Banned
Maybe I've just played too many JRPGs and watch too much anime, but as far as the artstyle goes both of them lack any of the feminine signifiers common in anime art. I honestly can't even manage to look at them and think "I guess I could see why someone would make that mistake."

I've watched a lot of anime too, but most don't have an art style that's confusing like that. Why cover only the chest area and reveal the stomach? That's usually a feminine fashion style.

I blame the artist, both are from the tales series. ;)

Anyway we need more tough looking women, not all of them should look super feminine. ;)

P.S OK I'll come clean, I was joking about the OP character because I read the he, but I honestly wasn't sure about the red head with the revealing stomach.

Espada

Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie from P4.
Stocke from Radiant Historia.
Robo and Frog from Chrono Trigger.
Owain from FE Awakening.
Eikichi and Maya from P2.
Raven from Vesperia.
Vivi and Steiner from FFIX.

The list could go on sooo much longer.

I feel awful for forgetting Stocke. My goodness, seeing such a competent and confident main character in a JRPG actually shocked me. I love the genre, but the standard shonen teeanger thing got kind of old. The bar has definitely been raised due to Stocke.

TWILT

Banned
The entire Persona 4 cast
Ike, and Mia from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
Owain, Lucina, Cherche from Fire Emblem Awakening
Frog and Magus from Chrono Trigger
Sagi from Baten Kaitos Origins
The World Ends With You's cast
Leanne and Vashyron from Resonance of Fate
Reyn and Dunban from Xenoblade
Isabeau from Shin Megami Tensei IV
Cloud, Tifa and Cid from Final Fantasy VII

PsionBolt

4ux2jmv.png

From Mother 3: Flint.
A strong husband and a dedicated father.
His descent into a broken man is painful to watch, and harsher still to experience firsthand, as the son he leaves behind.
Almost no dialogue, only active in the plot for a couple of chapters, and yet still among my list of best-written JRPG characters ever. His development over the course of the game is the best of the entire cast, I'd say.

YIQ4Cj0.jpg

From Guadia Quest: Ban, Dai, and Namco.
I just have to take every opportunity to praise Dragon Quest-style silent heroes, and these three are my personal favourite bunch of 'em. They're the perfect RPG heroes: 100% blank slate player avatars with zero characterization and ambiguous gender.
And then they become tyrants offscreen in the intentionally-unreleased sequel, only to be brought down by a new group of player-controlled heroes in the "third" game.
Just enough extra spice on the classic formula to be interesting.

Jaleel

I always liked Viktor and Flik from Suikoden 1 & 2. They were always down for a fight and had a cool team combo.

FlikVik.jpg

Top Bottom