• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

camineet

Banned
of course there are jaggies. the aliasing isn't bad at all, but of course it's there.

Retro didn't waste precious pixel fillrate for anti-aliasing, they used the fillrate and other limited performance resources to keep the framerate 60fps, on making the graphics as nice as possible at that framerate, on special effects, etc.

dfi

jjasper said:
Probably not, I only see it once every hour of so of playing and it doesn't last very long and the jaggies are there, it isn't a lot but they are there. Both of which could be my tv.

I don't think anybody is saying its jag free. But it is one of smoother games on the wii.

Even the 360 and ps3 has jaggies if u look closely enough.

chase

Branskins said:
Just to check: did you change the control settings to advanced? I had no learning whatsoever on the advanced control settings.

Now that MP3 is done and out, I am sure Retro is working on something that they want to do, and maybe it will have more action.

Yeah, advanced with free aim enabled. It was just really fast. Not used to moving that quickly with a controller.

rhino4evr

chase said:
Yeah, advanced with free aim enabled. It was just really fast. Not used to moving that quickly with a controller.

its overwelming at first, but soon it becomes second nature. You really don't have to move you arm much at all. I can pretty much play the game laying down on my couch. It took sometime (about an hour) to get used to, but now I wouldn't want the controls any other way. Im not sure why people were complaining about switching visors. its painless.

koam

BTW, when you get the
boost ball (is this really a spoiler?)
, if you go into the option screen, make sure to set "manual aim" on for that item. Makes things much easier.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I just got upto the bit where
you drop that bomb on the seed shield in elysia (does this need to be in spoiler marks?)
and that got me thinking about something. Have they already mentioned where the levaiathans came from or is that something you learn later on?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
rhino4evr said:
its overwelming at first, but soon it becomes second nature. You really don't have to move you arm much at all. I can pretty much play the game laying down on my couch. It took sometime (about an hour) to get used to, but now I wouldn't want the controls any other way. Im not sure why people were complaining about switching visors. its painless.
I think it's going to be a bit tough going back to Prime 1 controls, oh well at least the level design is ace in Prime1 so it wont be that hard of a transition.

psycho_snake said:
you drop that bomb on the seed shield in elysia
and that got me thinking about something. Have they already mentioned where the levaiathans came from or is that something you learn later on?
you'll learn later in the next planet.

Error

psycho_snake said:
ok thanks. I thought I might have not noticed it being mentioned.
you need to read the pirates logs and they pretty easy to miss.

psycho_snake

There's one small thing in the game that really pisses me off. Sometimes it takes ages for a door to open whenever I shoot it. Does that happen to anyone else?

psycho_snake

Error said:
you need to read the pirates logs and they pretty easy to miss.
so its mentioned in a log/ lore and not in a cutscene? The annoying thing about that is that you could easily miss it. Its easy to find all of them on bryyon because the lore's are massive, but on elysia you have to look harder because they're a lot smaller.

Error

psycho_snake said:
There's one small thing in the game that really pisses me off. Sometimes it takes ages for a door to open whenever I shoot it. Does that happen to anyone else?
yes, it's the game loading big areas.

koam

psycho_snake said:
you drop that bomb on the seed shield in elysia (does this need to be in spoiler makrs?)

Obviously that needs spoiler tags.

magus

anyone want to trade friend vouchers? I have 12 and I need 14 vouchers. send me a pm please =]

my friendcode is 5554 6429 9897 2188

magus

beef3483 said:
Quick question. Do you take damage in Hyper Mode besides the obvious energy tank hit?

I think you can take damage in
hyper mode
but you're invincible in
corrupted hyper mode.

maynerd

Banned
koam said:
That's def not a metroid prime problem.

Again, here's the pic of the game on my TV. Unfortunetely, the pic was scaled down but still pretty accurate.

4r7aiw7.jpg

I'll try taking a pic of elysia where there's more geometry, i barely see any jaggies.

Nice pic....what tv you got there?

Tristam

dark10x said:
Wow, I'm looking forward to that. I remember being disappointed by the end game in Metroid Prime 1 (after the artifact hunt).

Really? I was floored by the last area in Metroid Prime. It reminded me more of the environments typically found in the 2D Metroid games, where you're really venturing into the bowels of the planet.

Arde5643

Question:
So far Valhalla feels like the "Alien" setting in the Metroid Prime series.
It's eery, creepy, scary, tons of fuck-awful enemies with very little energy drops - I hate going there since going there involves fighting for dear life.

Is there going to be more location like Valhalla?
Because if so, I'll probably just go item hunting for a while...

Tristam

Arde5643 said:
Question:
So far Valhalla feels like the "Alien" setting in the Metroid Prime series.
It's eery, creepy, scary, tons of fuck-awful enemies with very little energy drops - I hate going there since going there involves fighting for dear life.

Is there going to be more location like Valhalla?
Because if so, I'll probably just go item hunting for a while...

lol. I didn't think Valhalla was all too difficult (just go into hyper mode dude), but it was creepy as fuck. I think it was very distinct from every other environment though. It reminded me of Tourian in Super Metroid and the first area of Metroid Prime (the space pirate ship).

camineet

Banned
psycho_snake said:

yeah, thus because Wii has ~88 MB of RAM for the DVD to fill, compared to ~40 MB in the Gamecube, thus Retro could make larger areas, thus longer load times would be inevitable

....I don't know how much that is offset by a faster DVD drive in Wii compared to the mini DVD drive in Cube...but obviously not offset totally.

I'll try taking a pic of elysia where there's more geometry, i barely see any jaggies.

You also have a Pioneer plasma though. >_> Aren't they very high-end? On my Olevia, the aliasing is almost everywhere... and it sort of shimmers or lags around the objects... it's difficult to explain...

Dr.Hadji

OK. I need to get over to the
Xeno Research Lab
but as I go across the Skypass connecting my current zone to the Lab, I am stopped by a platforming challenge. Three flying flatforms, and the third seems to be just out of my reach and I can't really tell if its my lack of platforming skill or if its the games subtle way of telling me this isn't the correct path. There seems to be an easy grapple conveyor system on the floor above me but elevator access is impossible until I access a mechanism on the floor the elevator is keeping me out of.

What am I to do?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Dr.Hadji said:
OK. I need to get over to the
Xeno Research Lab
but as I go across the Skypass connecting my current zone to the Lab, I am stopped by a platforming challenge. Three flying flatforms, and the third seems to be just out of my reach and I can't really tell if its my lack of platforming skill or if its the games subtle way of telling me this isn't the correct path. There seems to be an easy grapple conveyor system on the floor above me but elevator access is impossible until I access a mechanism on the floor the elevator is keeping me out of.

What am I to do?

If the 3rd platform has a gate that spins all the way around it
you need to increase the delay between your screw jumps by a bit

Arde5643

Tristam said:
lol. I didn't think Valhalla was all too difficult (just go into hyper mode dude), but it was creepy as fuck. I think it was very distinct from every other environment though. It reminded me of Tourian in Super Metroid and the first area of Metroid Prime (the space pirate ship).
The lack of save points in that place combined with very little energy drops means I'm pretty much wary any time I have to go to hyper mode.

camineet

Banned
is anyone having control issues with the sensor bar at the bottem of the screen? I normally have it on top but wanted to try it out on the bottem since some people said it works better. but not for me. it doesn't pick up my movements unless i'm holding the Wii Remote closer to the center-bottem. whereas if I have the bar on top, it picks up my movements just fine from what seems like dead on center. not too far up or too far down from center that is.

that makes sense ?

Insaniac

camineet said:
is anyone having control issues with the sensor bar at the bottem of the screen? I normally have it on top but wanted to try it out on the bottem since some people said it works better. but not for me. it doesn't pick up my movements unless i'm holding the Wii Remote closer to the center-bottem. whereas if I have the bar on top, it picks up my movements just fine from what seems like dead on center. not too far up or too far down from center that is.

that makes sense ?

did you change your settings in the Wii settings from Top of TV to bottom?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
AniHawk said:
How the hell did I do this game in under 14 hours at 100% when everyone else can't do 100% at 15 or 16 hours?

Cause some people have other things to do and cant devote all their time to vidoegames?

One thing I have noticed is I am much less of a graphics whore than some reviewers. I thought even the first area was very good looking and the first planet was really well done. Overall right now, I am loving this game.:D

Ramirez

How far into the game am I...
Just landed on the Pirate Homeworld last night, think I'm at like 6-7 hours played

Still no Rundas Fight Theme music for d/l anywhere? :(

AniHawk

Ramirez said:
How far into the game am I...
Just landed on the Pirate Homeworld last night, think I'm at like 6-7 hours played

Still no Rundas Fight Theme music for d/l anywhere? :(

You've got another 1-3 hours left, I wager.

Johnas

AniHawk said:
How the hell did I do this game in under 14 hours at 100% when everyone else can't do 100% at 15 or 16 hours?

Besides getting temporarily stuck a couple of times, I usually went backtracking every time I got a new item, instead of doing it all at the end. That can add up to quite a bit of time added, especially when you may not remember exactly where you can use a new item, for example where all the spider ball tracks are.

I love the exploration aspect of Metroid a lot more than the story.

Ramirez

Johnas said:
I love the exploration aspect of Metroid a lot more than the story.

Pretty much, I've read every spoiler in here way before actually getting there I think, there's really nothing to spoil, IMO, it's all about experiencing the world and exploring it for yourself, not figuring out the origins of Metroid Prime or Dark Samus or w/e else they might try to make important in the story.

stewacide

darkressurection said:
One thing I have noticed is I am much less of a graphics whore than some reviewers. I thought even the first area was very good looking and the first planet was really well done. Overall right now, I am loving this game.:D

Im absolutely dumbfounded by anyone who would complain about the graphics in MP3. If all Wii games looked like this (and they should) 360/PS3 would be
even moreso
DOA.

Sharp

stewacide said:
Im absolutely dumbfounded by anyone who would complain about the graphics in MP3. If all Wii games looked like this (and they should) 360/PS3 would be
even moreso
DOA.
Why do you have to do this. Really. MP3 looks phenomenal, enjoy it for what it is, don't try to invite graphical comparisons to 360/PS3/PC games.

Im absolutely dumbfounded by anyone who would complain about the graphics in MP3. If all Wii games looked like this (and they should) 360/PS3 would be even moreso DOA.

All 480p games look jag-tastic on my TV. I wish Nintendo had just given Wii the capacity to output in 720p.

I'm only 6 hours in because I didn't get to play it much this weekend, but once I got to the third area of Bryyo with the boss I was pretty much in awe of the game. Technical comparisons are pointless but the game just looks amazing to me. Really makes me wonder what Retro can do given a few years and a whole new engine.

Top Bottom