• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

I, too, would like to trade my MP vouchers/coins. any takers?

I need to search thru this thread for my FC....

ah ha! found it! 3793 3080 4945 6791

Davey Cakes

Scipius said:
That's better; the end boss sequence on Hypermode is a proper challenge
True.

I just finished off Hypermode of the game the other day, and yeah, the final boss was challenging, but not overbearing. Harder than he was in normal mode for sure. In fact, the first stage (Dark Samus) was actually the toughest. The last two stages are easy in comparison, and the second stage gives a lot of opportunities to lower your corruption bar.

Overall, I'm satisfied with myself after finishing the game off in the hardest mode. I will say that it was much harder for the first few hours, however. The first part of the game really makes you build strategy with using hypermode, and once you're good with it, the rest of the game isn't too bad. After the first leviathan, the game is properly challenging, but never really overbearing at any point. It just becomes "satisfying."

Scipius

Rash said:
I just finished off Hypermode of the game the other day, and yeah, the final boss was challenging, but not overbearing. Harder than he was in normal mode for sure. In fact, the first stage (Dark Samus) was actually the toughest. The last two stages are easy in comparison, and the second stage gives a lot of opportunities to lower your corruption bar.

For me the third was the hardest; I would beat the first stage with whatever amount of health left, then use the second stage to claw my way back to near full health, lose some of it to the final parts of the second stage, only to then get hammered by the third stage. The third stage has a lot more health than it had on Veteran. By that time of course you've already spent a significant amount of time on this boss sequence...

Rash said:
Overall, I'm satisfied with myself after finishing the game off in the hardest mode. I will say that it was much harder for the first few hours, however. The first part of the game really makes you build strategy with using hypermode, and once you're good with it, the rest of the game isn't too bad. After the first leviathan, the game is properly challenging, but never really overbearing at any point. It just becomes "satisfying."

I was surprised that the early parts of the game weren't much more difficult on Hypermode, actually.
Rundas
was a hard boss for me the first time through, took me several attempts, but on Hyper he went down in one.
Mogenar
definitely represented a proper spike in difficulty on Hypermode though, more so than the other Leviathan bosses.

For fun, I'm now going through on Normal mode. After having beaten Hypermode, it feels like an RPG with Level 99 characters... :D

Davey Cakes

Well, Rundas took me a few tries because you pretty much had to use hypermode perfectly. By that time, I wasn't entirely used to the strategy of letting myself get corrupted (and therefore using one injected energy tank to full effectiveness), so I really had to develop that strategy from square one. None of this was necessary in normal mode because, in normal mode, the hyper beam is pretty much broken and requires nearly no strategy to use.

However, I will agree that Mogenar is by far the toughest leviathan on the hypermode difficulty. The methods you have to use to take him out potentially require precision timing and a good few energy tanks, and at that point you don't have a ton of energy tanks to spare.

I think Mogenar took me something like ten tries? Not even close to the 2-3 tries for nearly every other boss in the game.

Kenka

Holy mother of Hamburger Hafen.

This game is INCREDIBLE. I am right now in Elysion and this area is so damn beautiful. Amazing. I've been impressed with the story so far and art direction.

I wonder how it didn't sell gazillions. :(

Kenka said:
Holy mother of Hamburger Hafen.

This game is INCREDIBLE. I am right now in Elysion and this area is so damn beautiful. Amazing. I've been impressed with the story so far and art direction.

I wonder how it didn't sell gazillions. :(

Nintendo's god awful marketing?

Xabora

Rash said:
Well, it sold around the same ballpark as the first Metroid Prime, didn't it?
Dunno, been playing Wii Play: Metroid Prime on my Wii.
Its alot more fun to play it again with the Corruption controls. :D

Kenka

Xabora said:
Dunno, been playing Wii Play: Metroid Prime on my Wii.
Its alot more fun to play it again with the Corruption controls. :D

Talking about that, are the Advanced settings also present in this Wii-make ?

Xabora

Kenka said:
Talking about that, are the Advanced settings also present in this Wii-make ?
From what I can tell yeah, control scheme seems quite a bit tweakable in it too.

Eitherway, loving it in its 16:9 32bit color Glory.

DEO3

It always warms my heart to see this thread on the first page every now and then. My playthrough on hypermode was one of my best gaming experiences.

DEO3 said:
It always warms my heart to see this thread on the first page every now and then. My playthrough on hypermode was one of my best gaming experiences.

I have a hankering to play this but I left it in my parents' house which is hundreds of miles away and can't get it back until Easter :( ...or the beginning of the month when I'm paid, so I can pay for the postage.

I recently restarted Twilight Princess too and keep surprising myself at how much I've forgotten! It should be reasonably fresh now

Cygnus X-1

Xabora said:
From what I can tell yeah, control scheme seems quite a bit tweakable in it too.

This last part is particulary interesting.

radioheadrule83 said:
I recently restarted Twilight Princess too and keep surprising myself at how much I've forgotten! It should be reasonably fresh now

You will be delighted in the first half of the game. Annoyed during the rest. Just the path from dungeon to dungeon is too tedious. But temples's art design is still today something special. If you keep appreciating the art you'll enjoy it. Otherwise, you'll more inclined to switch to restart Ocarina of Time.

Chris FOM

Scipius said:
For me the third was the hardest; I would beat the first stage with whatever amount of health left, then use the second stage to claw my way back to near full health, lose some of it to the final parts of the second stage, only to then get hammered by the third stage. The third stage has a lot more health than it had on Veteran. By that time of course you've already spent a significant amount of time on this boss sequence...

I still haven't beaten the game on hyper mode because of this. The second form of the final boss keeps kicking my ass. I can't avoid his attacks and haven't found a way to do damage quick enough either.

Davey Cakes

Chris FOM said:
I still haven't beaten the game on hyper mode because of this. The second form of the final boss keeps kicking my ass. I can't avoid his attacks and haven't found a way to do damage quick enough either.
Really? The forms, in my opinion, grow increasingly easier from first to last.

In fact, the second form was a great way to lower my phazon bar. Many opportunities, there.

My two best strategies: destroy the samus clones as soon as they're spewed out, and use charge blasts when the boss reveals its weak points. Then just do rapid fire on the core target.

I also suggest charge blasts for the final form.

Xabora said:

As far as I'm aware, no Gamecube (and Wii by extension) games run in 32-bit color. Either in 16-bit (Resi 4, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, etc.) or 24-bit (Rogue Squadron games, Eternal Darkness, etc). The 16-bit ones always had lots of dithering and color banding issues. I do believe Metroid Prime ran in 24-bit, as I don't recall any dithering. I could be completely wrong, of course, as the last time I read up on this was a few years ago.

Chris FOM

Rash said:
Really? The forms, in my opinion, grow increasingly easier from first to last.

In fact, the second form was a great way to lower my phazon bar. Many opportunities, there.

My two best strategies: destroy the samus clones as soon as they're spewed out, and use charge blasts when the boss reveals its weak points. Then just do rapid fire on the core target.

I also suggest charge blasts for the final form.

The second form of the final boss, not boss fight (which has one boss, then a final boss with two phases). What you're describing is its first form, and yes, I do the same, so I go into the final phase of the fight with an empty Phazon meter. But that last part wiped the floor with me multiple times and quickly. I just couldn't stay out of the way of its attacks.

Kard8p3

I just started playing this game again today and it really is an amazing experience. This is my first time since I played it back in 2007 so I kind of forgot just how well the controls worked. The controls are so great and the framerate is a silky smooth 60FPS. I'm up to the space pirate homeworld and the game is blowing me away just as it did 2 years ago. Even though Retro is done with Prime I do hope we get another metroid of some kind soon.

Top Bottom