• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepiest bosses in games that aren't survival horror.

Regiruler

When I saw that you were doing metroid examples I was hoping to see nightmare posted. Was not disappointed.
Bongo Bongo from Zelda.

Creeped me out, I genuinely didn't like this boss, it was like a Penis with two hands, and then the cock head opens up into a flower.

I thought it was fucking weird and really out of place.

Take a look at that flower, close the petals, tell me it isn't a dick with hands.

importanceshadow05.jpg

It isn't as egregious in the 3DS version IMO. He's one of my favorite bosses, but not the creepiest.

D-e-f-

Banned
2012-08-24_00135.jpg

If only he was as difficult as he is creepy.

if only you had included name + game and/or a picture in which you can actually see anything.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Dantes Inferno...I mean given the content, why wouldn't you consider these to be part of the horror genre? How are we distinguishing them from a game like Dead Space? They all are creepy.

Marketing didn't sell them as such, thus people don't consider them horror but instead post tons of pictures from these obviously horror-influenced designs.

Espada

A recent one was one of the bosses in Killer is Dead. That transformation, the screaming, sound effects, and resulting creature (ugh, the features and animation) spooked me pretty bad. There's also that one colossi in SOTC. Seeing that dark form coming up still gives me chills.

NARC - Final boss

No More Heroes 2 - Anime girl in Henry's dream.

Kintoro from MK 2 was imposing and scary as shit to fight cuz I knew I was about to be in for a war.

McLovin

mind-flayer.jpg

Mind Flayer in Demon's Souls
I played that game without a tutorial. Initially I was like well.. that fucking this is creepy. Until he bumrushed me and did his attack on me. Instant death. I was so scared I avoided that section for the longest. I left there a boy, but by the time I came back I was a man. I slaughtered everyone of those that I could find lol.

RunSaberE012.png

This girl from Run Saber. For a game with Like 5 bosses per stage, this one remained the most memorable. It creep me so much as a kid.

Bravocado

beezelbub1.jpg

From Symphony of the Night.

Good call, the many incarnations of Legion in Castlevania come to mind as well.

Side note, I've always considered nearly all those games (as well as most Metroids) to be as much survival horror as they are adventure/action RPGs (or whatever they're classified as). Anyone with me on this?

Not creepy in the traditional "can't sleep at night" sense but he definitely has some sort of unkowing creepiness to him. Like you don't know what's under that armor, what he's thinking or what he'll do next. The intro where you first enter the boss arena is pretty creepy too plus the dude is absolutely relentless

Artorias-of-the-Abyss_.jpg

Marjar

Banned
Bongo Bongo from Zelda.

Creeped me out, I genuinely didn't like this boss, it was like a Penis with two hands, and then the cock head opens up into a flower.

I thought it was fucking weird and really out of place.

Take a look at that flower, close the petals, tell me it isn't a dick with hands.

importanceshadow05.jpg

I'm pretty sure that he's supposed to be a torso with a decapitated head. Makes sense when you realize that the Shadow Temple was a prison/torture chamber.

Clanker's not a boss though.
I would argue that Metroid starts as a horror game though. Sure it was the 80's but well, still horror, no?
Anyway some Pikmin 3 bosses are actually pretty creepy (and disgusting).
Also some Yoshi's Story enemies creeped me out when I was a kid. Seriously.

Kurod

Banned
Has like, every boss in Soul Sacrifice been mentioned yet? Designs aside, they also get far creepier when you read their backstories. Also the way their words come up in red text over the screen as you're killing them.

I came to post this. The monsters of this game are some of the most disturbing I've seen.

vFf5diO.jpg

Also, here's a vid of one of the lastest DLC monsters to soon hit the west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5A4b4-UTyI

Gamerloid

RunSaberE012.png

This girl from Run Saber. For a game with Like 5 bosses per stage, this one remained the most memorable. It creep me so much as a kid.

The funny part is that she was supposed to really be a regular woman, but Nintendo didn't like the idea of violence against women so they had to censor her into a dead woman.

MLCodest

Not the scariest boss but when I was younger I was always thought Bleigock from Skies of Arcadia was super creepy. The fact that you fought him under the Colosseum and he had human skulls in his body if I remember correctly just gave me an uneasy feeling.

hqdefault.jpg

elhav

Not creepy in the traditional "can't sleep at night" sense but he definitely has some sort of unkowing creepiness to him. Like you don't know what's under that armor, what he's thinking or what he'll do next. The intro where you first enter the boss arena is pretty creepy too plus the dude is absolutely relentless

Artorias-of-the-Abyss_.jpg
Yes. the unpredictability and difficulty really make him a nightmare.
The mind flayers were pretty fucking horrendous as well.
You know what? Demon's/dark souls really has some of the most ugly, creepy creatures I've seen in a non Silent hill/Resident evil game. Nice going FROM.

badb0y

Nihilanth from Half-Life was creepy as fuck but not sure if that would be considered survival horror game.
Nihilanth_model.jpg

Giant, dismembered, aborted fetus that also telepathically communicated some cryptic messages to Gordon. Freaked me out first time I played it I think I was like 9 or 10 at the time.

sn00zer

Nihilanth from Half-Life was creepy as fuck but not sure if that would be considered survival horror game.
Nihilanth_model.jpg

Giant, dismembered, aborted fetus that also telepathically communicated some cryptic messages to Gordon. Freaked me out first time I played it I think I was like 9 or 10 at the time.

coolest thing about this guy is the very combine-looking tech underneath him

Top Bottom