• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToS:KoR (Wii) TGS 07 Trailer (youtube)

JoeFu

Banned
YES RECYCLED MUSIC!!!

jk

I loved the battle songs in TOS so I really don't care.

Wait, is that the summons song?

Gosh I haven't played a tales game in a while.

I think the screens we saw before were definitely just poor captures as this looks really nice in motion.

I hope we get better monsters though, as those look a bit boring in battle.

JoeFu said:
Wait, is that the summons song?
Yeah..

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I like the overworld map :)

JoeFu

Banned
SantaC said:
OMG THAT LOOKED GREAT! GOTY!

I <3 fighting of the spirit!

That's what that song is called.

Frak, i had like a bunch of remixes on my old computer. Loved that song.

SantaC

JoeFu said:
That's what that song is called.

Frak, i had like a bunch of remixes on my old computer. Loved that song.

I have a couple of awesome fighting of the spirit on my HD :D

Krowley

Looks very awesome.

I enjoyed the cube game a lot, and the wii needs a full fledged RPG, so it's great news that this is looking solid.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Watching it and thinking how nice it'd be to go back to the original towns.. and then there's a shadowy figure of Lloyd standing there watching a house burn down at the end of clip :D

Krowley said:
Looks very awesome.

I enjoyed the cube game a lot, and the wii needs a full fledged RPG, so it's great news that this is looking solid.
The problem is this might not be the full fledged RPG you're looking for. >_<

Jiggy

Looks a load better than the stills would have given away. :D And it looks like the heroine this time can actually do melee combat.

(Without abusing spell-cancelling, I mean.)

SantaC said:
a half-fledged RPG > nothing
Well yeah, as I'm also excited for this, but this isn't the full fledged RPG the Wii desperately needs.

Jiggy37 said:
Looks a load better than the stills would have given away. :D And it looks like the heroine this time can actually do melee combat.

(Without abusing spell-cancelling, I mean.)
Tear and Rutee (from ToDr) were also pretty good at melee. I like how the series is deviating away from pure mages/healers, it's a refreshing change.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Remixed music, the same environments, the recycled combat system, no overworld... well I guess a spin-off is better than nothing. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jj984jj said:
Remixed music, the same (but un-celshaded) environments, the recycled combat system, no overworld... well I guess a spin-off is better than nothing. :lol

To be fair a point and click map is probably better than the awful thing they had in Symphonia

SantaC

jj984jj said:
Remixed music, the same (but un-celshaded) environments, the recycled combat system, no overworld... well I guess a spin-off is better than nothing. :lol

well it's an overworld same thing as Super Mario World.

Culex

Banned
This certainly is on par or better than ToS, which is a great thing (Tos was a beautiful game). It looks like the canned the focal blur, which saddens me :(

Textures look sharper and more detailed, too! My only hope is that is supports 480p / widescreen, since Tos did neither in the US. PLEASE!!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SantaC said:
OMG THAT LOOKED GREAT! GOTY!

I <3 fighting of the spirit!

This makes what, the 3rd time the song is used? Not that I mind, it's probably my favorite Sakuraba battle theme aside from "Tense Atmosphere" in SO1.

SantaC

Culex said:
This certainly is on par or better than ToS, which is a great thing (Tos was a beautiful game). It looks like the canned the focal blur, which saddens me :(

Textures look sharper and more detailed, too! My only hope is that is supports 480p / widescreen, since Tos did neither in the US. PLEASE!!

heh culex, i remember you selling me on ToS 3.5 years ago! time flies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
FIGHTING OF THE SPIRITS!

The game's existence is fully justified by that one song alone. If the game actually turns out good besides that... bonus! :D

And yeah, it sounds exactly like the GCN version.

jeremy1456

grandjedi6 said:
Because Tales of Innocence is a main game while this is a spinoff?

You mean sequel.

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard to accept this as a sequel - because no matter how you spin it that's what it is.

Jiggy

Magicpaint said:
Tear and Rutee (from ToDr) were also pretty good at melee. I like how the series is deviating away from pure mages/healers, it's a refreshing change.
By "this time" I meant compared to Symphonia. :lol It always sucked to me that Colette couldn't really fight even though the intro video kind of makes her out to look like at least a little bit of a fighter.
But yeah, certainly Tales has had good female melee characters before.

grandjedi6

jeremy1456 said:
You mean sequel.

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard to accept this as a sequel - because no matter how you spin it that's what it is.

No it's a spinoff. If it was a sequel it would be called "Tales of Symphonia 2". I believe even the creators have called it a spin-off

MrNibbles

Banned
Dammit.

Is this a direct sequel?
Does it have the same / some of the same characters?
When is it coming out?

Looks like I need to start up ToS again and actually play it through to the end this time.

Edit: ...oh.

jeremy1456

grandjedi6 said:
No it's a spinoff. If it was a sequel it would be called "Tales of Symphonia 2". I believe even the creators have called it a spin-off

I've only ever read them refer to it as a sequel, I could be mistaken though.

That's like saying that Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 are spin-offs in the mario series because it's not numbered. Meanwhile Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is considered a spin-off.

Leezard

grandjedi6 said:
No it's a spinoff. If it was a sequel it would be called "Tales of Symphonia 2".

Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within = spinoff of Sands of Time confirmed?

MrNibbles said:
Dammit.

Is this a direct sequel?
Does it have the same / some of the same characters?
When is it coming out?

Looks like I need to start up ToS again and actually play it through to the end this time.

There is new characters, it's a few years later, but the old characters will be there to help the new ones.

jeremy1456

Leezard said:
There is new characters, it's a few years later, but the old characters will be there to help the new ones.

Lloyd even had a cameo at the end of the movie linked to in this thread.

jeremy1456 said:
You mean sequel.

Ok, it's a sequel. FINE.

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon was a sequel to Tales of Phantasia too, but does that make it not the spin-off it clearly is?

Don't expect something on the level of Tales of Symphonia or a full fledged sequel like Tales of Destiuny 2, guys.

Jiggy37 said:
But yeah, certainly Tales has had good female melee characters before.
Farah!

Datschge

djtiesto said:
This makes what, the 3rd time the song is used? Not that I mind, it's probably my favorite Sakuraba battle theme...
It is confirmed that Fighting of the Spirits was composed by Shinji Tamura though.

grandjedi6

jeremy1456 said:
I've only ever read them refer to it as a sequel, I could be mistaken though.

That's like saying that Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 are spin-offs in the mario series because it's not numbered. Meanwhile Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is considered a spin-off.
Leezard said:
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within = spinoff of Sands of Time confirmed?

Namco names spin-offs and sequels differently than Nintendo and Capcom. Tales sequels are numbered, spin-offs aren't.

Magicpaint said:
Ok, it's a sequel. FINE.

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon was a sequel to Tales of Phantasia too, but does that make it not the spin-off it clearly is?

Don't expect something on the level of Tales of Symphonia or a full fledged sequel like Tales of Destiuny 2, guys.

Farah!

The Tales of Phantasia spin-off is the best example. It is a sequel persay but its not a full-fledged one. Expecting a spin-off is the best bet rather than get your hopes up

Olaeh said:
When did they call it a spin-off?

They did when describing the game. It's mentioned in this post.

jeremy1456

grandjedi6 said:
Namco names spin-offs and sequels differently than Nintendo and Capcom. Tales sequels are numbered, spin-offs aren't.

The Tales of Phantasia spin-off is the best example. It is a sequel persay but its not a full-fledged one. Expecting a spin-off is the best bet rather than get your hopes up

They did when describing the game. It's mentioned in this post.

So now you're changing your argument around?

AND you're trusting a Google Translation?

EDIT: Your theory about Namco sequels is also a bit off. You're saying that Beautiful Katamary isn't a sequel? It's somehow a spin-off?

grandjedi6

jeremy1456 said:
So now you're changing your argument around?

AND you're trusting a Google Translation?

EDIT: Your theory about Namco sequels is also a bit off. You're saying that Beautiful Katamary isn't a sequel? It's somehow a spin-off?

I was refering to Tales games. Tales of Symphonia:KOR is just like Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon, it may continue the story but its not a full-fledge sequel. That doesn't mean its better or worse, only that you have to alter your expectations of what to expect from this title

Top Bottom