• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

Banned
but would it be good news or bad news?

if it`s a 2d game, i`d be over joyed!

The only reason why the fans are angry is because of the graphics

hand on heart? yeah, that really is the crux of this. I`m happy with the core game play, so new scenarios, better online, but (most importantly) the game looking like a group of 4 players taking down mosters that look like the Lair dragon in an environment that looks like Uncharted really was the thing i was personally gagging for.

:(

Lobster said:
Like Smash Bros? Like Zelda? Like Galaxy? Like Prime 3? Like RE4? Like Trauma Centre?

Just because a game is on Wii doesn't mean it turns into a shitty waggle fest.
It absolutely does when it's a game that's been built from the ground up and refined over the course of every iteration on it's control and combat system which is then going to be either directly adapted to waggly non-sense and be a complete failure of a game. Or it's going to be changed drastically to work as a waggle game.

In either case, Monster Hunter fans never get a sequel to their favorite franchise.

dfyb

Banned
Lobster said:
Eh well. It would be good news that MP3 is actually coming out and that the series might get a huge sales bump. Bad news would be that it can't take advantage of the Wiimote.
MH3 was never in doubt of coming out. almost all monster hunter fans would prefer sixaxis for MH3 because it's a very traditional game. and now it won't have high end power behind it. and now the online component will likely not be as good as it could. sure the wii is an improvement, but a small one compared to a potential next gen treatment -- and that's the whole point. why settle for a tiny improvement?

i'd bet the ps3 game would have easily made a profit - a wii game simply means more profit. the game would have to bomb for a sequel's existance to be in question.

beautiful environments and convincing monsters are a big part of the appeal, yeah, but there's more.

Lobster

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
It absolutely does when it's a game that's been built from the ground up and refined over the course of every iteration on it's control and combat system which is then going to be either directly adapted to waggly non-sense and be a complete failure of a game. Or it's going to be changed drastically to work as a waggle game.

In either case, Monster Hunter fans never get a sequel to their favorite franchise.

What? The game could work exactly like Zelda...Aiming with a bow, Small slashes with the sword..

Jeeze all waggle does for some games is replace button presses. And newsflash, the Wii controller has more then enough buttons to make the game play traditionally.

Satter

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

Or, it could've stayed on the PS3, and fans would've had to deal with awkward and cumbersome controls thanks to the sixaxis.

Hey, here's a thought. Why don't we wait until the game comes out to pass judgement?

Man, I could use some cheese and crackers with all this whine.

dfyb

Banned
Lobster said:
What? The game could work exactly like Zelda...Aiming with a bow, Small slashes with the sword..

Jeeze all waggle does for some games is replace button presses. And newsflash, the Wii controller has more then enough buttons to make the game play traditionally.
zelda uses an automatic camera in addition to a lockon system. ps3 would have given it another analog stick for camera control. i don't have much difficulty maneuvering my left index finger on the PSP's d-pad to control the camera, but it would be nice to have a dual stick setup. i'd much prefer button presses to hand movement for attacks.

Satter said:
Or, it could've stayed on the PS3, and fans would've had to deal with awkward and cumbersome controls thanks to the sixaxis.

Hey, here's a thought. Why don't we wait until the game comes out to pass judgement?

Man, I could use some cheese and crackers with all this whine.
...dualshock 3 is an upgrade from PSP and it's the same as ps2.

Eteric Rice

If you hate it that much, then don't buy it. Jeeze.

Then again, if you don't buy it there's a chance for them to make the franchise dissapear... Or at least go to handhelds permanently.

dfyb said:
i'd bet the ps3 game would have easily made a profit - a wii game simply means more profit. the game would have to bomb for a sequel's existance to be in question.

A PS3 game with the production values you're talking about needs to sell around 500,000 copies to break even. The last console Monster Hunter game sold around 500,000 copies in total on the most popular video game console of all time. I really don't see how this could not be of concern to any fan of the series.

Lobster said:
To see if it could be done and to help sedate Mickey, I looked up PSP version (the first one)'s controls and tried modifying them to working with the wiimote+nunchuk, completely ignoring waggle+pointer and not removing any abilities. I'm sure what I've done isn't the optimal, but I'm also sure Capcom will spend more than 5 minutes thinking about it. Misspellings mostly from the original:

Universal Controls:
Analog stick: Move your character
D Pad: Manual Camera
C Sholder: Tap for Manual camera snap. Hold C down + tap D-pad up/down to change items. Hold C down + tap D-pad left/right to move brackets.
B Sholder: Run with Weapon sheathed. Block with weapon out.*You can't block if your weapon isn't out. This takes time to get used to...*. Cancels menu choices
A Button: Action button when used alone. Gathers, carves. Confirms menu choices.
- Button: Kicks.
Z Button: uses your active item.
1 button: Brings up menu.
+ Button: Rolls

Bowgun Controls:
Analog stick: Moves hunter
C Sholder: Tap for Manual camera snap. Hold C down + tap D-pad up/down to change items. Hold C down + tap D-pad left/right to move brackets.
B Sholder: First person
A Button: fire
Z Button: Puts weapon away.
1 button: Main Menu
- Button: reload
Start Button: Roll
C+A: Melee attack

Dual Sword Controls:
B Sholder: Mode Change
A Button: Spin
- Button: Slash Combo
+ Button: Roll
C+A: Dive/ Fury of A Million Dragons

Great Sword Controls:
B Sholder: Block
A Button: Left swing
- Button: Swift Kick
C+B: Overhead slash
C+A: Upper-cut

Hammer Controls:
B Sholder: Charge, release to discharge
A Button: Jab
- Button: Combo Attack

Lancer Controls:
A Button: Upward Stab (stops Charge)
- Button: Straight Stab
C+B: Charge

Short Sword Controls:
A Button: Spin slash
Start button: Main Menu
- Button: Slash Combo
C+A: Jump slash

P90

speculawyer said:
OK . . . I thought I was the only person that never really heard of this game.

The only reason I knew anything about it was from the MC threads. The only PSP title before FF VII: Crisis Core that sold in Japan.

When the PSP version is $19.99 I'll pick up a copy.

EDarkness

To see if it could be done and to help sedate Mickey, I looked up PSP version (the first one)'s controls and tried modifying them to working with the wiimote+nunchuk, completely ignoring waggle+pointer and not removing any abilities. I'm sure what I've done isn't the optimal, but I'm also sure Capcom will spend more than 5 minutes thinking about it. Misspellings mostly from the original:

That seems pretty reasonable to me. If we add motions and pointer control, then I don't see how the control setup will be bad. I think people should have more faith in Capcom. If there's one company I think can get the control nailed down, it's them. Saying things like it's going to be a "wagglefest" really doesn't show much objectivity, especially since we know very little about the game right now.

What I think would be really funny is if this game turns out to be the best one in the series, complete with a robust online setup. I'll get a good laugh if that happens. :)

Lobster

Banned
KTallguy said:
What's the point of putting it on Wii if there are no motion controls?

Dissapointed fans think waggle is crap for all games. I can totally see this game using motion controls to its advantage.

dfyb

Banned
Armada said:
A PS3 game with the production values you're talking about needs to sell around 500,000 copies to break even. The last console Monster Hunter game sold around 500,000 copies in total on the most popular video game console of all time. I really don't see how this could not be of concern to any fan of the series.
by what calculations? a 30 million dollar budget? killzone 2's budget is 21 million. capcom already has their engine -- budget shouldn't be more than 10 million.

Ynos Yrros said:
There are so many areas in which this game should be improved, and none of them are controls. If you think otherwise, please give me an idea of how this game could be improved on the Wii.

Considering the Wii is much stronger then the PS2 it could be improved from the past versions in terms of A.I, area size, physics...

PataHikari said:
Considering the Wii is much stronger then the PS2 it could be improved from the past versions in terms of A.I, area size, physics...
Not really. But don't worry, the series is ruined for thousands of hardcore fans, if million people who never played the game want it to be simplfied or stand in place then hey, democracy and capitalism.

Innotech

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Not really. But don't worry, the series is ruined for thousands of hardcore fans, if million people who never played the game want it to be simplfied or stand in place then hey, democracy and capitalism.
if its any consolation, Okami was ruined by Ps2 controls.

Lobster

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

:lol

Ynos Yrros said:
So I take it you've played it and it is simplified and ruined.

Innotech said:
if its any consolation, Okami was ruined by Ps2 controls.
And weak hardware as well, it would have been so much better on 360 or PS3 with amazing HD painting like graphics. Only now can we truely see the power of cell shading.

So I take it you've played it and it is simplified and ruined.
It probably won't be when compared to PS2/PSP versions, unless they are going to try and come up with new frmula and controls for the game. Anyone who played i for extensie period would tell you that the game is made for pad controls.

I expect a bit better graphics (as shown), new areas/items/wyverns and that's basically it. Wii's power won't allow for robust AI/physics systems, and robust animation/graphics engine. So to me, the series isn't progressing at all, or isn't progressing the way I would like it to, therefor I'm not interested in the series anymore, and many, if not most other hardcore fans share the sentiments with me.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Cramp inducing, non-functional, ergonomic nightmare.
I don't think so.

I'll spend more time with my Wiimote+chuck trying to come up with possible control schemes, along with my predictions for the final one used in game.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
EDarkness said:
Saying things like it's going to be a "wagglefest" really doesn't show much objectivity, especially since we know very little about the game right now.

Can I quote this for a lot of truth? Can I? I've never used the phrase before but I'd like to right now. Game on the Wii doesn't equal automatic waggle controls. Get it through your heads, seriously.

dfyb said:
by what calculations? a 30 million dollar budget? killzone 2's budget is 21 million. capcom already has their engine -- budget shouldn't be more than 10 million.

By Nikkei's calculations:
Nikkei said that PS3 development costs 2 Billion Yen ($17.28 Million) and with an average game price of 8000 yen ($69) would break even at 500,000 sold.

To compare:
For the PS2, they said the development cost was 100 million yen ($864,000) and the break even point with an average price of 6000 yen ($51.83) was 50,000 sold.

Lobster

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
And weak hardware as well, it would have been so much better on 360 or PS3 with amazing HD painting like graphics. Only now can we truely see the power of cell shading.

What?

It seems that you think HD graphics make everything 10x better.

Lobster said:
What?

Did you play Okami? Occassional slowdowns were pretty annoying. And cell shading as shown on 360 is really where's it's at. One of Okami's ke points was to look like a painting, it did a great job achieving it on PS2, but on 360 or PS3 it would absolutely get there.

.dmc

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
And weak hardware as well, it would have been so much better on 360 or PS3 with amazing HD painting like graphics.

It would have lost so much more money for Clover/Capcom as well.

Innotech

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

It probably won't be when compared to PS2/PSP versions, unless they are going to try and come up with new frmula and controls for the game. Anyone who played i for extensie period would tell you that the game is made for pad controls.

I expect a bit better graphics (as shown), new areas/items/wyverns and that's basically it. Wii's power won't allow for robust AI/physics systems, and robust animation/graphics engine. So to me, the series isn't progressing at all, or isn't progressing the way I would like it to, therefor I'm not interested in the series anymore, and many, if not most other hardcore fans share the sentiments with me.

nah pretty much just the controls sucked for Okami. the art and graphics were perfectly fine.

Lobster

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Did you play Okami? Occassional slowdowns were pretty annoying. And cell shading as shown on 360 is really where's it's at. One of Okami's ke points was to look like a painting, it did a great job achieving it on PS2, but on 360 or PS3 it would absolutely get there.

GC and Xbox could do Cell Shading with no slow downs. And you don't need better hardware to look like an artwork. Look at that vanillaware game on Wii..

Tenbatsu

slidewinder said:
Oh Lord, if they add a lock-on system to this game to make it work with the Wiimote, THEN you guys'll see meltdowns!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! LOCK-ON IN MONSTER HUNTER IS A NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Im sorry but didnt Shadow of Collaous(sp?) have some pretty sweet big ass monsters? and that was on the PS2, and the Wii is powerful then PS2. Im pretty sure Capcom is capable of fully using the Wii.

Linkup

GhettoGamer said:
Im sorry but didnt Shadow of Collaous(sp?) have some pretty sweet big ass monsters? and that was on the PS2, and the Wii is powerful then PS2. Im pretty sure Capcom is capable of fully using the Wii.

That reminds me, go play SotC and bathe in its low poly, 15fps, blurry texture, and awe inspiring greatness. Don't forget to turn the sound up.

Other than that continue on.

mepaco

For those complaining, I think everyone can understand your disappointment that the next game in the series won't have the awesome HD visuals that you have been dreaming of. But be honest with your argument; that is all that will really be different.

The arguments that the physics and AI will suffer are just dumb. The examples stated have been perfect examples of poor programming, not hardware limitations. This is especially true with AI, where it is all about the talent of the developers.

The Wii is perfectly capable of producing expansive environments along with large and varied enemies. The assumption that Capcom will turn it into a dumbed down waggle fest is also ridiculous. I saw many assume that PES on Wii would be the same and now that the controls have been revealed, it turns out they are doing some really cool stuff. You either have faith in Capcom or you don't. You either think they are good developers or you don't. There is nothing inherent in the platform the forces developers to turn it into a stupid wagglefest and you know it. Give it a damn chance.

dfyb

Banned
mepaco said:
For those complaining, I think everyone can understand your disappointment that the next game in the series won't have the awesome HD visuals that you have been dreaming of. But be honest with your argument; that is all that will really be different.

The arguments that the physics and AI will suffer are just dumb. The examples stated have been perfect examples of poor programming, not hardware limitations. This is especially true with AI, where it is all about the talent of the developers.

The Wii is perfectly capable of producing expansive environments along with large and varied enemies. The assumption that Capcom will turn it into a dumbed down waggle fest is also ridiculous. I saw many assume that PES on Wii would be the same and now that the controls have been revealed, it turns out they are doing some really cool stuff. You either have faith in Capcom or you don't. You either think they are good developers or you don't. There is nothing inherent in the platform the forces developers to turn it into a stupid wagglefest and you know it. Give it a damn chance.
personally i'm not one of the people who said AI and physics. i still think online functionality could have been a lot better on a ps3 title.

slaughterking said:
It's even bigger on PSP. Like millionseller-big.
I know it's big on PSP in Japan. I meant to ask if it's big on PSP in the west. My wording was kind of misleading.

Ynos Yrros said:
A series is getting slaughtered, Capcom is fcking over fans, and you guys talk about GC vs PS2? Just shows how much you really care about the game itself.

Oh and Phife, people were extatic jumping onto Quake 3, don't spread BS.
:lol Sure fans were eager to try it out, but both the Q2 camp as well as the Q1 camp were bitching about certain aspects of the game not living up to their expectations. I guess you weren't active in the scene?

And about the series getting slaughtered, the assumption that if this was left on PS3 Capcom would have implemented all the stuff everyone is having pipe-dreams about is overly optimistic to say the least. Apart from the fact that we know nothing about the game, MH3 on PS3 could have just as well been a HD version of MH2.

dfyb said:
...there's a 3D metroid prime game for DS that plays just like metroid prime on console (with differences in aiming). i thought graphics didn't matter.
:lol OMG!

I'd love to have a full fledged MP on DS btw. Anyways you are comparing a home console to a portable and as we all know games have to be tackled in a different way to be great portable games.

MickeyKnox said:

We don't know anything about the game ffs. If it indeed turns out to be dumbed down shit no one would argue with your bitching. And like I said before this may come out in the west and is on a home console, if this were on PS3 you wouldn't see a localized version for sure.

MickeyKnox said:
I don't think so.

I'll spend more time with my Wiimote+chuck trying to come up with possible control schemes, along with my predictions for the final one used in game.
Huh? Are you one of those people that have problems accessing the + and - buttons? Could never understand those complaints.

DCharlie

Banned

well, in this case it would - the game is night on perfect, it just needs new scenarios and just to be an AV eyegasm to make it even more likable.

yes, i know that`s very base... and i know that it`s "not really next gen" but that`s where i am with this series.

Same with Winning Eleven. Take a year off and make the game look sexy you bastards!

ElFly

If the series hasn't had complex physics and AI in the PS2, it wasn't due to a hardware limitation, but just by design.

You are talking like the hypothetical PS3 version already had confirmed Deep Blue levels of AI and complex physics simulations.

The only limitation the Wii poses for the series is a graphical one. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom