• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

kpop100 said:
That's reaching. I doubt considering a PS3 version would have been made on an existing engine that that would have been the case, although the release date probably will be sooner on the Wii than it would have been on the PS3.

You are doing it again!

Vagabundo

kpop100 said:
That's reaching. I doubt considering a PS3 version would have been made on an existing engine that that would have been the case, although the release date probably will be sooner on the Wii than it would have been on the PS3.

It dont think so. If something is costing too much money and you dont believe it will give a good return on investment you have two options:

- Stop the project
- Change the project

Capcom chose option two. Talk of the PS3 game is hypothetical now anyway as I am not privy to internal Capcom memorandum. Maybe it will appear again in a few years if PS3 hardware sales improve.

Arde5643

Vagabundo said:
It dont think so. If something is costing too much money and you dont believe it will give a good return on investment you have two options:

- Stop the project
- Change the project

Capcom chose option two. Talk of the PS3 game is hypothetical now anyway as I am not privy to internal Capcom memorandum. Maybe it will appear again in a few years if PS3 hardware sales improve.
Agreed - there have been a lot of games cancelled for the PS3 once the publishers found out how bad was the PS3 performing compared to the expectations weighed against it.

Since Capcom's a huge company, they can choose to absorb some losses and change the project to the Wii.
Medium sized companies that put their bets on the PS3 usually will have to cancel the projects.

Amir0x said:
That's not a personal attack. His comment was RIDICULOUS. So take your attempt at backseat modding, and get the hell out.
Not that I care all that much, but I find this to be a pretty awesome definition. If someone makes a ridiculous comment (or at least one you think is ridiculous) everything you say about that poster is automatically not a personal attack? :lol

Amir0x said:
Outside of the control/graphics discussion, I mainly hope that they find a way to work around the awful Wii online system and deliver a compelling online experience. Because that's the other thing that struck me... for an online game, this is basically the worst online system, so I hope they can work on it hard and maybe avoid friend codes or something.
EA does just that, but seeing that Capcom is indeed a small fry in comparison I don't think they'll have their own online system. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen.

oracrest

Tenbatsu said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! LOCK-ON IN MONSTER HUNTER IS A NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yes, a lock on feature would undermine so many aspects of what makes this game fun. Attempting to hit key areas on a dragon (which react differently to attacks) would completely go away, as would the whole learning process of what those key areas are.

This game is great, but has a learning curve. Any reviewer that complains about a lack of lock-on in monster hunter simply doesn't really know what monster hunter is trying to do. Im a huge fan of the series, sure, but this franchise is easily the most misunderstood one I have ever seen American reviewers continuously slam, for reasons deriving from only playing the game for a few hours, then writing about what was frustrating.

I put together some thoughts on what I love about the series, for anyone interested in finding out more about the franchise (as it sounds like many people in this thread have never actually played the game before). The occasional light spoiler is in there I suppose. The meat of it is focused on why I think this series has the best creature and environment art around.

MONSTER HUNTER BLOG

Tenbatsu

oracrest said:
yes, a lock on feature would undermine so many aspects of what makes this game fun. Attempting to hit key areas on a dragon (which react differently to attacks) would completely go away, as would the whole learning process of what those key areas are.

This game is great, but has a learning curve. Any reviewer that complains about a lack of lock-on in monster hunter simply doesn't really know what monster hunter is trying to do. Im a huge fan of the series, sure, but this franchise is easily the most misunderstood one I have ever seen American reviewers continuously slam, for reasons deriving from only playing the game for a few hours, then writing about what was frustrating.

I put together some thoughts on what I love about the series, for anyone interested in finding out more about the franchise (as it sounds like many people in this thread have never actually played the game before). The occasional light spoiler is in there I suppose. The meat of it is focused on why I think this series has the best creature and environment art around.

MONSTER HUNTER BLOG

enviro11.jpg

Thats a great write up you have there and ya making this huge MH fan here happy:D Glad that you appreciate the game so much. And ya absolutely correct that this game features some of the best art ever be it creatures, environment, armors etc. Btw, nice pic of テオ・テスカトル.

Rolf NB

I was just thinking ... could this project have been originally been aimed at the PS2, and the removal of PS2 backwards-compatibility from new PS3 models was the straw that broke the camel's back?

To explain, the PS3 install-base (in Japan) should soon be growing faster than the PS2 install-base, and it's safe to assume that a PS3 buyer has a little more money to spend than a PS2 buyer. I.e. a new PS3 buyer can be seen as an active participant in the home console market, which might make them collectively more valuable than the (much larger) PS2 audience, which includes perhaps many households that aren't so actively involved in the market anymore after several years of ownership.

Now whoever's going to buy the cheapest PS3 model this christmas will not be able to play PS2 games. This part of the audience is lost to the (assumed) last straggling PS2 game projects, so a change of plan right about now would make sense.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
bcn-ron said:
I was just thinking ... could this project have been originally been aimed at the PS2, and the removal of PS2 backwards-compatibility from new PS3 models was the straw that broke the camel's back?

No. Just no. A PS2 release would still be just as viable with or without BC on the PS3.

dfyb

Banned
bcn-ron said:

To explain, the PS3 install-base (in Japan) should soon be growing faster than the PS2 install-base, and it's safe to assume that a PS3 buyer has a little more money to spend than a PS2 buyer. I.e. a new PS3 buyer can be seen as an active participant in the home console market, which might make them collectively more valuable than the (much larger) PS2 audience, which includes perhaps many households that aren't so actively involved in the market anymore after several years of ownership.

Now whoever's going to buy the cheapest PS3 model this christmas will not be able to play PS2 games. This part of the audience is lost to the (assumed) last straggling PS2 game projects, so a change of plan right about now would make sense.
third party games still seem to sell better on ps2 than wii. see latest mediacreate sales.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Redd said:
This thread has gone for far too long. Let's just all agree that WiiFit is to blame and be done with it.

I blame the Power Pad myself. Yeah, that's right. It started way back then! :D

Redd

Kintaro said:
I blame the Power Pad myself. Yeah, that's right. It started way back then! :D

I use to have that myself. Cool and all but hard to game with. I even have a Chainsaw controller for Resident evil 4. On topic though yes WiiFit is to blame.:D

dfyb said:
third party games still seem to sell better on ps2 than wii. see latest mediacreate sales.
Yeah, if this were originally a PS2 project and they moved it to Wii, they made a bad call. Not that Capcom is immune to such things, but I kind of doubt they would have.

Amir0x said:
JoshuaJSlone adopted a insane control scheme to try to squeeze every button to the wiimote+nunchuck combo, and that shit sounds unwieldy and uncomfortable and basically the exact opposite of the very much refined pad controls.
*shrug* You're the experienced player, I must defer to you. Biggest change was reassigning 3 of the regular face buttons to Z, -, and +.
ElFly said:
mio said:
RE4 says that they are good.
RE4 was a pad game to begin with. The Wii version wasn't a sequel designed for the system from the ground up, so not quite the same. For a full-fledged new entry of any series to be playable on classic controller, it's basically got to ignore waggle/pointer as a key element from the get-go.

psy18

jrricky said:
For all this whining you guys know your going to buy it if it turns out to be superb. :lol

Almost impossible. It is 100%-95% confirmed that this game will suck because of waggle and non hd/sparks/physics.

Amir0x

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Not that I care all that much, but I find this to be a pretty awesome definition. If someone makes a ridiculous comment (or at least one you think is ridiculous) everything you say about that poster is automatically not a personal attack? :lol

No, i mean I was saying his comment was ridiculous - not him.

Phife Dawg said:
EA does just that, but seeing that Capcom is indeed a small fry in comparison I don't think they'll have their own online system. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen.

Capcom isn't really a "small fry" so I hope they do.

JoshuaJSlone said:
*shrug* You're the experienced player, I must defer to you. Biggest change was reassigning 3 of the regular face buttons to Z, -, and +.

Yeah nothing against you, but you really just illustrated why adopting the control scheme is going to be such a challenge for Capcom. I'm sure they can do it, though.

Mandrion

Banned
Amir0x said:
No, i mean I was saying his comment was ridiculous - not him.

You called HIM a "ridiculous fuck" because of his, in your opinion, ridiculous comment, ridiculous asshole (i meant your comment, just to be sure).

Innotech

Banned
Redd said:
Let's wait until after Capcom brings it out before we say this.

I just felt like being an optimist. I have no idea how this game plays. I just know my friends with a Wii are excited about this game.

Rolf NB

dfyb said:
I've seen that (Dragon Ball is what you mean, right?), but you can't read from the MC charts how many of those PS2 games are played on PS2s, and how many are played on PS3s.

I think it does makes some sense to expect the most active part of the market that is the most willing to spend money on console gaming to have moved on to a new console, be it a PS3 or a Wii, and that this correlation might mean more than the sheer numbers in a larger userbase that has been accumulated over many years. All PS3 or Wii hardware sales in Japan are relatively recent, less than a year ago, so there is virtually no rot to account for.

bcn-ron said:

While the shift from PS2 is happening it's not happening as fast for PS3's 1 mill users to make a difference. Esp. since they haven't really bought a lot of software yet. If this was indeed a PS2 project it would never have been shifted to Wii because of the lack of BC on PS3.

Amir0x said:
Capcom isn't really a "small fry" so I hope they do.
As opposed to EA they sure are. Not even Activision have their own online system. Of course it can happen but I think it's more likely they'll stick to Nintendo's system.

Amir0x said:
man this is exactly one of the big problems with this whole mess:

How about no, you ridiculous fuck? This is the the fucking problem. People who hate Monster Hunter, or never played Monster Hunter, only care 'cause it's on Wii. That's literally the only thing that matters. They don't care about the gameplay or the improving the games visuals dramatically or anything else, because they probably ignored it on PS2 and ignored it on PSP and it didn't matter that it was on the most popular system before. JoshuaJSlone adopted a insane control scheme to try to squeeze every button to the wiimote+nunchuck combo, and that shit sounds unwieldy and uncomfortable and basically the exact opposite of the very much refined pad controls.

Monster Hunter is NOT RE4, it's not fucking PES. You cannot adapt the controls in the same way. You can't adopt it in the same way as ZELDA either, because guess what combat actually matters in MH. You can't have a waggly, imprecise nightmare (and I'm not saying that's the case when you apply motion controls, I'm saying if it was like Zelda sword combat). Camera control will matter. All these things matter in this franchise.

This franchise, if this thread is any indication of what the developers want to do, is doomed.

I think you are a real Sony fanboy xD

Sorry i dont know you, but why are you callin members "you are fuck"? I think that MH3 will get a better gameplay through the Wiimote, Capcom knows to handle the Wii hardware, the graphics will improve, they will succed the ps2 in a great way. Yeah you dont like the Wii, thats ok, yes it sucks that a genious game like MH 3 is exclusively for Wii^^

OMG, how could there be a good 3rd party game for the Wii with good Motion Controls?

Then its no more Monster Hunter heh? Sorry cant take this shit! This will not be the only major gamefranchise which is gonna move to the Wii, learn to live with it.

Greets TP

Redd

TwilightPrincess said:

Sorry i dont know you, but why are you callin members "you are fuck"? I think that MH3 will get a better gameplay through the Wiimote, Capcom knows to handle the Wii hardware, the graphics will improve, they will succed the ps2 in a great way. Yeah you dont like the Wii, thats ok, yes it sucks that a genious game like MH 3 is exclusively for Wii^^

OMG, how could there be a good 3rd party game for the Wii with good Motion Controls?

Then its no more Monster Hunter heh? Sorry cant take this shit! This will not be the only major gamefranchise which is gonna move to the Wii, learn to live with it.

Greets TP

First you don't know that. Second personally I don't want alot of waggle in the game just here and there for certain things not the brunt of fighting maybe make it like no more heroes. I'm going in with an open mind but don't be surprised if it sucks.

Jumpman23

TwilightPrincess said:

Greets TP

Who said that Capcom would include motion controls? This game and many games in the future could adopt the Super Smash Bros. Brawl mantra and offer standard control affairs along with the motion controls.

As for good third party games on the Wii....there are some available now and there are more coming. Companies were slow to support the Wii early on but that has begun to change over the last year since the Wii is now the next gen market leader in hardware sales. I think it is safe to say the Wii is set to have quite an amazing 2008 in regards to third party software.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
Actually, I'm sure there are plenty of people that argue that while RE4 is fun, they're very much interested in revisiting the more deliberate horror era of the RE franchise - I know cvxfreak has mentioned before this is the case.

Those fans exist, but they're pretty much in the minority.

With Monster Hunter, there seems to be a knack for progression and change, but just as long as it's not on the Wii.

First No More Heroes will be great. The new videos show nice graphics, and a smothness that is great, about the style we do non hve to talk ;)

Sure on ps3 MH3 would have more detailed graphics, i know that fact. But Wii is more powerfull than XBox. Capcom lured out some great graphics from Cube, i dont think they will mess up this game. Hopefully we get a great game, don t make it bad as long as nobody has played it ;)

Amir0x

Banned
TwilightPrincess said:

I don't own a PS3, won't own one until I suspect around 2012. I liked PS2, but that's irrelevant to this current discussion.

TwilightPrincess said:
I think that MH3 will get a better gameplay through the Wiimote, Capcom knows to handle the Wii hardware, the graphics will improve, they will succed the ps2 in a great way. Yeah you dont like the Wii, thats ok, yes it sucks that a genious game like MH 3 is exclusively for Wii^^

Did you play and enjoy Monster Hunter 1 or 2? If so, what did you like about them and how do you think the motion controls can improve them?

cvxfreak said:
Those fans exist, but they're pretty much in the minority.

Does that really matter if it's a minority or majority? I mean, again, I only care about what I want and you only care about what you want and TwilightPrincess only cares about what he wants. That's what we all do. So I'm not sure it matters if "what you want" aligns with the minority in some case.

cvxfreak said:
With Monster Hunter, there seems to be a knack for progression and change, but just as long as it's not on the Wii.

I just think the bulk of the areas that needed change in MH is something that next-gen only can provide, but I am a huge fan of the franchise and I guess that should be secondary to the console I own or something.

@Amirox: Yes i have played MH before, i liked the epic style of the game. If the Motion Controll is used wisely it will get a great game, perhaps better then the last PS2 MH. I did not play MHF for the PSP cause i dont owne one ;)

If Capcom is serious we will get a blockbuster, i think so. (and i hope so ;)

@Amirox: Immersive Controll on Wii can be used in more complex ways then in twilight princess! you know that ;)

And the Wii is more powerfull than Ubicrap shows it ;)

Amir0x

Banned
you're not really saying how it can be used to improve the game, just saying it will be "immersive" which is really one point that next-gen visuals and power can do as well.

Is it just that you swing your remote to release a sword blow, or is there a substantive change to be made in your mind? You know my opinion on Twilight Princess, with its sword combat being one of my key complaints, so I don't think that's a good road to go down in terms of where Capcom should bring Monster Hunter.

Redd

TwilightPrincess said:
@Amirox: Yes i have played MH before, i liked the epic style of the game. If the Motion Controll is used wisely it will get a great Game, perhaps better then the last PS2 MH. I did not play MHF for the PSP cause i dont owne one ;)

f Capcom is serios we will get a blockbuster, i think so. (and i hope so ;)

Maybe Monster Hunter will be good on the Wii but I feel there is another franchise that could do great on the wii that I would rather have then Monster Hunter.

Mega Man Legends, hes got a buster arm and such and with the Wii controller and nunchack this game would be awesome on the Wii. So imo give the Wii the Legends series and maybe Dino Crisis and let the 360 or PS3 handle MH3.

motion-controls arent limited to what Zelda did. With many different gesture-based actions the game could reach a whole new level of immersion, not even slightly possible on PS3, and yeah, swinging your sword by your own motions would do that. And bloddy no, better visuals arent making a game more immersive. They´re making it more beautiful.

Amir0x

Banned
TwilightPrincess said:
motion-controls arent limited to what Zelda did. With many different gesture-based actions the game could reach a whole new level of immersion, not even slightly possible on PS3, and yeah, swinging your sword by your own motions would do that. And bloddy no, better visuals arent making a game more immersive. They´re making it more beautiful.

I'm "bloddy" sorry, but I don't think you get what immersive means. I'm not suggesting there isn't a level of immersion provided by pretending your remote is a sword, I'm simply saying that what is presented on screen - and the detail, mood and atmosphere embodied within - is a huge part of being "immersed." Making it "more beautiful" is part of making it more immersive.

Now which can make you "more immersed" is entirely up for debate, and I suspect I already know your answer, but rest assured they both contribute.

TwilightPrincess said:

The problem with that is that everyone says "oh the wii controls are capable of so much" yet since day one very few devs have been able to make that come to fruition.
In most wii games the motion controls STILL feel tacked on.
It is hard to keep count of all of the times that people say "This will be the one" and then going quiet.

(Hey the sixaxis is even worse)

People keep throwing the graphics out there like that is the only thing people are talking about when saying they would rather have a game on the PS3 and 360 but the bottom line is that there IS more no matter how many people want to try and convince themselves otherwise.
From physics , more activity on the screen at once, textures, deeper ai and vaster landscape possibilities as well as people hoping once and for all for a real online interaction.
(Friend codes do not compare with Live and PSN sorry )
Not to mention the back up knowledge that even if it was not released in the US that they could import it with no issue without having to use third party mods.
People who hug their wii tightly and convince themselves that the only thing that the other two systems offer is better graphics really are missing out on alot.

You think swinging the controller as your own sword is not bringing emotions into the game? and hell, we are not talking about the n64, graphics are important and if the developers use the wii in a good way the graphics would be also cool. i think capcom will not dissapoint us ;)

if the controlls work it will be the best game of the franchise (also the graphics will be the best in the franchise ;))

Grecco

OokieSpookie said:
People keep throwing the graphics out there like that is the only thing people are talking about when saying they would rather have a game on the PS3 and 360 but the bottom line is that there IS more no matter how many people want to try and convince themselves otherwise.

People talk about how Next gen is so much more "physics, ai yadda yadda yadda" but thats bunk. As much praise as Halos AI gets the Ally NPC ai is still shit. Stranglehold looks nice but its a piece of crap with terrible controls, terrible ai terrible physics. Not every game has these awesome physics, Ai yadda yadda yadda. Sorry. Motorstorm has awesome physics, we know. Not every game does. Most next games Do have the great graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
TwilightPrincess said:
You think swinging the controller as your own sword is not bringing emotions into the game? and hell, we are not talking about the n64, graphics are important and if the developers use the wii in a good way the graphics would be also cool. i think capcom will not dissapoint us ;)

if the controlls work it will be the best game of the franchise (also the graphics will be the best in the franchise ;))

Do I personally think "swinging the controller as your own sword" is bringing emotions into the game? Not for me. Can it do that for many players? Sure! If you read my comments you'll see I wasn't suggesting it cannot immerse people as well. I was only criticizing your rejection of the important role visuals play in this specific factor of immersion.

Yes, we're not talking about the N64. I'm not sure that means anything though.

Sorry if i missunderstood your thoughts. But it is not all about the visuals ;)

I think Capcom will do a great job. Yes it won t be high def graphics, live with it, play MH3 or dont. I can understand that people want the game in better "quality". Yes it would have looked better on the PS3 or 360 ;)

For me that doesn t matter, i want to slash enemies right with my wii-mote ;)

And yes i own a 360 ;)

Graphic is not everything

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
I cant wait to see how the game comes out, just to see if it silences the doubters.

It will..it'll be as good or better than the prequels. Saying Capcom will screw the game up only makes the poster look foolish its like saying that Super Mario Galaxy will be ruined because of motion controls.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
TwilightPrincess said:
Sorry if i missunderstood your thoughts. But it is not all about the visuals ;)

I think Capcom will do a great job. Yes it won t be high def graphics, live with it, play MH3 or dont. I can understand that people want the game in better "quality". Yes it would have looked better on the PS3 or 360 ;)

For me that doesn t matter, i want to slash enemies right with my wii-mote ;)

And yes i own a 360 ;)

Graphic is not everything
amirox never said graphics was everything and i don't see how your progressing the conversation at all.

I am just hoping for the best with mh3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom