• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancels free-to-play Command & Conquer due to quality, closes development studio

Tragic how C&C has gone these past couple years. C&C3 was a step in the right direction but the series just floundered after it's release.

MDSLKTR

And I was wondering why there was no information about this game at all since e3. It's for the best, C&C deserves better than a f2p future. Should have went with generals 2 as planned.

eznark

Banned
"We closed a studio and we are blaming the fans".

I won't miss the idea of a FTP C&C but why close the studio?, you could just told them to make a full game with the same assets.

They aren't blaming the fans. They are blaming the studio for making a shitty game that was called out by the fans as shitty.

isual

shinobi's thread was closed, but I'll write again:

I tested the alpha a month ago in a focus group.

game was horrendous.

After the testing we were supposed to write down what we thought of the game (comments basically).

I wrote something like:

this is not command and conquer, the game does not live to the spirit of what CnC is. Shame on EA for closing down westwood studios.

XPE

Tragic how C&C has gone these past couple years. C&C3 was a step in the right direction but the series just floundered after it's release.

See that's the problem C&C3 is a good C&C game maybe a little safe but it was a good C&C game, what the fuck happened after that is any bodies guess they just seemed unable to make a good C&C game.

Nome

I knew a few people working there :(

Really sad on a personal level because Generals was my favorite RTS.

Terra_Ex

Now that's the EA we all know and love. But fear not, I'm sure EA has many other ideas to further tarnish this brand.

So this image finally came true huh?

MoarREAPer.jpg

This studio really has nothing to do with Bioware, they just slapped the name on another team as they have been doing for a while.

I'm an old gamer, big fan of C&C, but for me C&C is 1995 and 1997 C&C and Red Alert: Single player, polished, kind of slow pace, good music, live action cutscenes, charismatic sides.

I couldn't associate the new game (f2p, multiplayer, fast micro), to the C&C name. Glad they cancelled it. Sorry for the studio.

Pociask

I'm an old gamer, big fan of C&C, but for me C&C is 1995 and 1997 C&C and Red Alert: Single player, polished, kind of slow pace, good music, live action cutscenes, charismatic sides.

I couldn't associate the new game (f2p, multiplayer, fast micro), to the C&C name. Glad they cancelled it. Sorry for the studio.

I am with you on the feelings about C&C, but I'm not glad they cancelled the game. All signs point to the studio was simply developing the type of game EA wants to develop - freemium games-as-a-service. So the developers do what EA wants, and they don't even get their game out the door before EA bails out and shuts them down. WTF? What EA bigwig is going to be worried about how to feed their kids or where to get health insurance after this? None of them. But they're the ones pushing products that their fans don't want.

"Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team"

Closes Victory Games studio.

EA's logic
1362482045575pvkps.jpg

This is sad, Best of luck to the affected devs.

Edit: and I was beaten XD

TheChaos0

"We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise

Too bad you ruined it with 4. 3 was a great continuation, Kane's Wrath even more so. Why they didn't just improve on the C&C formula is just beyond me.

It's still sad too see this being cancelled, I wouldn't their reasoning but if it was really a decision based on player feedback then maybe it was for the best.

ElRenoRaven

This studio really has nothing to do with Bioware, they just slapped the name on another team as they have been doing for a while.

Yup. I give EA props on this. They could have continued and shit it out but no they did the right thing here. It's nice to see EA improving somewhat again. It can be hard to do the right thing but sometimes you have to do it.

rrs

So they actually listened to the fans and not release what appears to be a pile of rubbish? The series deserved a proper burial, not becoming some zombie title that would be mercy killed in 6 months.

Green Yoshi

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play,"

I only read some previews in August and they all said it's a great game, only the animations are bad.

Perhaps it's the F2P-model and not the quality that worried EAs managers.

SpyGuy239

What the hell?!! I was just starting to finally warm up to C&C F2P after all the preview vids this year.

Why are you so idiotic EA? Just update Generals or Red Alert 2 to modern standards and I WILL BUY IT.

god damn.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Polygon updated their article to reflect that the studio is definitely dead:

Electronic Arts has canceled its in-development free-to-play Command & Conquer game, according to a statement posted to the game's official website today, and disbanded the development team at Los Angeles-based Victory Games.

"The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson confirmed to Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA."

Nokterian

Sucks for the people working there good luck finding a new job but thank god C&C was never a game to be free to play.

Look at the legacy. Make the game what it used to be.

Annubis

That pretty much sounds like:
« Some people at the top made terrible decisions so we're gonna layoff everyone who executed those decisions. »

Well EA going to EA

I honestly expect the bubble that is FTP games to pop at some point as people grow tired to the inherent shallow gameplay so many seem stuck on (there are some ftp games with less shallow gameplay but they are few and far between)

Feel bad for devs though

Could the people who actually played the alpha please elaborate on why exactly this game was so bad? It would be a great contribution to the thread. Thanks.

Top Bottom