• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

nampad

For once I don't miss the megathread :)

The writing was on the wall and now we finally have confirmation (if it's really him, twitlonger?) so all those in denial finally have to accept it.
All the balance talk fom Microsoft amounted to nothing, as expected.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat on for this post.

We know that there is bad blood between activision and respawn and the relationship between activision and Microsoft don't seem too strong these days either. What if Activision didn't like the fact that Microsoft was getting really close with EA, and got especially pissed when they moneyhatted Titanfall, and is now doing everything they can to damage the Xbox brand so titanfall doesn't become a success? After all, its curious that this news would be released right after it was announced that Titanfall has become a xbox exclusive. I mean, they've been evasive before, and rumor has it that they were working to improve the resolution before launch, but suddenly they just go out and announce this huge difference? Very interesting timing.

Although, maybe i'm just overthinking these things too much.
hahaha what

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I find this stunning (the overall news, not the final confirmation). Although some may say this is just early gen issues, I think it's really embarassing for MS and a sign of poor engineering decisions. I'll have all systems as always for exclusives, but it's funny how the multiplat stuff looks like it's going to completely flip on its head this time around.

Radec

PS3 has 518,400 pixels (assuming 960x540)
PS4 has 2,073 600 pixels

360 has 624,000 pixels (assuming 1040x600)
Xbone has 921,600 pixels

0073_9x6v.gif

Dat 360-Xbone gap.

Maybe this is what Panello is talking about all this time. 30%-ish difference!

The real problem with Ghost is that even in 4k this title would look like a current gen title. So yeah, it's basically a pity running the game in 720p instead of 1080p, but no big loss pretty honestly speaking.

uhh exactly it is troubling that they cant get this game to run @ 1080p native.

The Cowboy

900p vs. 1080p I could understand, but 720p vs. 1080p is just a massive difference (more so when its a COD game).

Part of me kinda expected the former, but I'm really quite shocked we've now had official confirmation that its the latter - I mean this is a huge difference in raw information on screen.

+1. I see absolutely nothing special about this game. It should be running better.

before the PS3 came out, and for the first year or so, many people on GAF refused to admit that it was harder to developer for. all the bad ports... they were the fault of lazy developers. that was it. it couldn't be the hardware. it had to be the devs.

in a thread confirming what our insiders have been saying... it's weird that so many people are ignoring that we had insiders saying *why* this is the case, and it wasn't that devs were incompetent. it was hardware issues that weren't going to fully go away even when the tools improve.

I mean, that's still a rumour, and just because the what has turned out to be true doesn't mean the why is true...

but the question 'How can this be? It shouldn't look this bad.' has a very believable answer.

the only sad thing is that ryse can hit 900p and they can't hit 1080 with this?

sad. obviously it's much easier on ps4 as it's more powerful but makes me wonder what state the tools these guys had were in.

That's that then.

Irrelevant from an interest point of view because I could care less about CoD, but that definitely not good news for the Xbox. CoD is a big franchise, and while a lot of people might never even hear about this news, the hardcore following there surely won't be pleased to hear about it if they were planning on getting the Xbox version.

viveks86

famousmortimer ‏@atPeteDodd 9m
Turns out I'm not just making stuff up. Who knew!?!

Morty, You use it so often these days that I think it's time you trademark "who knew!?!". T-shirts, hats, coffee mugs etc. You could be rich!

Who knew!?!™

this makes no sense financially for them.

people who buy cod will buy cod. Activision doesnt care if you buy cod on xbox 360, ps3, or whatever platform. If people hear that the new xbone version has bad graphics, they will buy it on ps4 or just get a last gen version. Activision gets the money either way and stunts next gen adoption for the xbox one.

I, and in connection - all of you, received a boatload of shit about this. I got death threats. I got mouth frothing insults. Most of them included stuff like "you and your sonybuttfucking gaf".

So maybe I should die. Maybe we buttfuck Sony. But it turns out that I wasn't wrong. Thuway wasn't wrong. And those of you who believed us weren't wrong. We didn't just make it up because we love Sony and hate ms. We said it because it was true.

Feeling slightly vindicated. Been an intense week of hatred. Kinda scary, even.

EGM1966

I know that, im running more with resolution in general :)

So far as I know both PS4 and XB1 have essentially same up-scaling via pretty similar AMD architectures. Could be wrong though I only tend to skim that kind of detail but no doubt a real tech hound can clarify further.

Karuyag

The real problem with Ghost is that even in 4k this title would look like a current gen title. So yeah, it's basically a pity running the game in 720p instead of 1080p, but no big loss pretty honestly speaking.

Does that mean we're gonna see 1080p remakes if current gen games :O!?

Steroyd

I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat on for this post.

We know that there is bad blood between activision and respawn and the relationship between activision and Microsoft don't seem too strong these days either. What if Activision didn't like the fact that Microsoft was getting really close with EA, and got especially pissed when they moneyhatted Titanfall, and is now doing everything they can to damage the Xbox brand so titanfall doesn't become a success? After all, its curious that this news would be released right after it was announced that Titanfall has become a xbox exclusive. I mean, they've been evasive before, and rumor has it that they were working to improve the resolution before launch, but suddenly they just go out and announce this huge difference? Very interesting timing.

Although, maybe i'm just overthinking these things too much.

From forcing parity to this, yo-yo'ing is fun.

I, and in connection - all of you, received a boatload of shit about this. I got death threats. I got mouth frothing insults. Most of them included stuff like "you and your sonybuttfucking gaf".

So maybe I should die. Maybe we buttfuck Sony. But it turns out that I wasn't wrong. Thuway wasn't wrong. And those of you who believed us weren't wrong. We didn't just make it up because we love Sony and hate ms. We said it because it was true.

You deserve it.

keep up the good fight man! we just want good news and we don't like bullshit. Anyone can look at the Sony Q&A thread and see Gaf is hardly butt fucking SONY. Microsoft has just deserved a lot of shit lately.

It's the internet famous, who gives a shit.

Its all about for the good of the business.

They can and will hold put any information that can sway away a potential customer until they get their money.

we didn't exactly hear sony talking about the state of their multi platforms last gen.

no company is going to do that. it wouldn't make sense.

Duxxy3

There's no reason to even have a digital foundry article.

Double the resolution? There's nothing to compare after that.

fred

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Infinity Ward are shite developers. If Treyarch can only have 720p/1080p on the One/PS4 THEN it's time to worry.

Top Bottom