• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Great build is still solid, I don't think we've changed anything there except also a suggestion for the EVGA 500W Bronze PSU.

g8tUBcH.png
. Get a 120/128GB SSD too.

No, it was just his personal tests to run as proof of concept.
There is this article on CPUs though: http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

You can see other frame latency benches at PCPER and TechReport, but using one fixed speed CPU.

I must look more into the D3H vs Z78X, both good boards mind.

These charts are interesting, I've never seen them before. So it looks like the sweet spot for the 3570K is at 4.4GHz. Do you have charts for other CPUs as well?

They were done my mkenyon, he might have some more but the only ones I can lay my hands on are at stock speeds.

Anyone else have an i5 3570k and an Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo? Just curious as to what type of overclock I'd be able to achieve. I'm running either a CM 212+ or EVO (can't remember off the top of my head) as my heatsink.

I will give it a shot later on tonight.

Every chip is different. Aim for around 4.4GHz.

Wait what happened here?

It has crept up in price slowly and can't compete with the likes of the UD3H which has much better VRMs.

Sorry, I'm based in the UK so I'm looking at it from that point of view where those two power supplies are difficult to find in stock anywhere :D

Scan has stock coming soon, as does Amazon.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit. You guys helped me build my current PC a few years back.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU SPEED:
3.32 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
8.56 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
4.25 GB

I've got about £250 to spend, I was thinking a second Video card and another 8gb RAM.

I can't remember at the time of posting what my PSU is but that might need upgrading as well to run 2 video cards.

Ieu

I've got about £250 to spend, I was thinking a second Video card and another 8gb RAM.

I can't remember at the time of posting what my PSU is but that might need upgrading as well to run 2 video cards.

I would sell the 560 TI and buy a new card, the total can then be concentrated on a single powerful GPU like the Geforce GTX 770. No need to replace that processor just yet.

kharma45

I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit. You guys helped me build my current PC a few years back.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU SPEED:
3.32 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
8.56 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
4.25 GB

Don't bother with a second 560 Ti, better off buying one new single card. If you're just gaming no need for more RAM either, 8GB is plenty.

Best bet is to overclock your CPU if you're on a P67 or Z68/Z77 motherboard (you might need to get a cooler like the Hyper 212 if you're still using the stock Intel one) and buy a new card like the 280X where you'll avoid the headaches of SLI.

Don't bother with a second 560 Ti, better off buying one new single card. If you're just gaming no need for more RAM either, 8GB is plenty.

Best bet is to overclock your CPU if you're on a P67 or Z68/Z77 motherboard (you might need to get a cooler like the Hyper 212 if you're still using the stock Intel one) and buy a new card like the 280X where you'll avoid the headaches of SLI.

I do video editing and modelling at University so I figured the 8gb more RAM would be helpful.

I would sell the 560 TI and buy a new card, the total can then be concentrated on a single powerful GPU like the Geforce GTX 770. No need to replace that processor just yet.

How much do you think I could get for a used GTX 560 Ti?

I'm going to be adding a second screen in the new year as well.

wildfire

Banned
Out of curiosity which i3?

The haswell version 4330. But as pointed out towards the top of this thread there is merit in having a higher clocked CPU for better minimum frame rates. You will need to get an unlocked K processor to get those higher clocks.

Are any AMD CPUs really better at compiling than a decent Intel? I guess it depends on how much parallelism you have available, but normally you are only recompiling a small number of translation units during the standard development feedback loop.

This is a comparison of last years processors but the results for most non-compiling tasks bears out with benchmarks seen at other sites at that time.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/amd-fx-x300.html

Also cache sizes plays a factor and Intel has been more generous in that regard with their haswell processors but the 8 core FX still has the advantage in cache size as well as core count so this remains as a no brainer.

belmonkey

Question: I got my mate a 4GB GTX 760 for Christmas because he wants a card that will last him several years (coming from a AMD 5830), but I don't know if he should have got a 4GB 770 instead ($100 more). Is it worth using EVGA's step-up program to upgrade to a 4GB 770 for $100? (Also, he only has a i3 530 @ 4.2 GHz.

Durante

This is a comparison of last years processors but the results for most non-compiling tasks bears out with benchmarks seen at other sites at that time.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/amd-fx-x300.html

Also cache sizes plays a factor and Intel has been more generous in that regard with their haswell processors but the 8 core FX still has the advantage in cache size as well as core count so this remains as a no brainer.
The problem I have with most compilation benchmarks is that they run a clean compilation of everything, and measure the time for that. That's an unrealistic scenario compared to real development work, where the majority of compiles will just be of a small subset of translation units (thus favoring single-core speed over many cores).

kharma45

I do video editing and modelling at University so I figured the 8gb more RAM would be helpful.

How much do you think I could get for a used GTX 560 Ti?

I'm going to be adding a second screen in the new year as well.

For video editing it would be. Going by eBay you could get anywhere from £50 to well over £100. Just keep an eye on a few of these to get an idea http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_sop=1&_nkw=560+Ti&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

So, will Kharma's suggestion be good for game that will run in Unreal engine 4 and Cryengine 3? Will I be able to run Titanfall and Hawken?

It'll deal well with CryEngine 3 (in Crysis 3) the 760 performs like this at reference http://techreport.com/review/24996/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-graphics-card-reviewed/4

Titanfall being on the Source engine should mean it runs well on most stuff, Hawken I've no idea beyond resorting to Google. UE4 is a matter of wait and see.

KAL2006

Banned
Nearly finished my build

I have
Antec 300 Case
Antec Eathwatts 650W PSU
AMD 7870 3GB

And about to order
this Motherboard
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z87x-d3h-intel-z87-s-1150-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-%28x16%29-d-sub-%28vga%29-dvi-d-
and this CPU
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-4670k-s-1150-haswell-quad-core-34ghz-38ghz-turbo-1200mhz-gpu-34x-ratio-84w-retail

Can someone find me 8GB RAM that's cheap but doesn't bottleneck the other components from the same website Scan.co.uk

kharma45

Nearly finished my build

I have
Antec 300 Case
Antec Eathwatts 650W PSU
AMD 7870 3GB

And about to order
this Motherboard
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z87x-d3h-intel-z87-s-1150-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-%28x16%29-d-sub-%28vga%29-dvi-d-
and this CPU
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-4670k-s-1150-haswell-quad-core-34ghz-38ghz-turbo-1200mhz-gpu-34x-ratio-84w-retail

Can someone find me 8GB RAM that's cheap but doesn't bottleneck the other components from the same website Scan.co.uk

Since Amazon delivery is free get this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008LTJJM2/

Are Scan charging you delivery btw?

Abdozer

Hey guys, I'm looking around for an SSD for games and the OS mostly, BF4 takes way too long to boot up/quit and it's driving me nuts. 128GB preferably but I can go lower since it's mostly games. I hear the Samsungs are a good choice?

kharma45

Hey guys, I'm looking around for an SSD for games and the OS mostly, BF4 takes way too long to boot up/quit and it's driving me nuts. 128GB preferably but I can go lower since it's mostly games. I hear the Samsungs are a good choice?

They are. If you're in the USA I'd look at

V300 for $80 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HyperX 3K for $90 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=SH103S3120&c=CJ

840 Evo at $98 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W15P0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All depends on what you want to spend. All three are reliable drives, only difference is they get faster as you go up the price tiers. Even a slow SSD is fast, relatively.

You could use the 560 as a PhysX card but it'd be pointless. Just sell it and get some cash for it.

I'm going to do a little research on nVidia's SLI mode.

I do need to add some more cooling to my PC, at the moment it's just the stock fans built into the case and any fans/heatsinks that came with the GPU,PSU and Processor. I don't think I really want to be attempting a water cooling system. Any suggestions on a good set of fans or something to add?

yatesl

I'm going to do a little research on nVidia's SLI mode.

I do need to add some more cooling to my PC, at the moment it's just the stock fans built into the case and any fans/heatsinks that came with the GPU,PSU and Processor. I don't think I really want to be attempting a water cooling system. Any suggestions on a good set of fans or something to add?

The main difference would be a CPU fan, like the 212 EVO. I only have that, and 2 case fans (1 in at the front, 1 out at the back) and temps are fine. That's with my haswell CPU overclocked.

Ymmv, of course.

Frenden

Banned
I was all set to upgrade my slightly long in the tooth gaming PC yesterday, but R9 290X prices have skyrocketed.

With Bitcoin miners scooping these up and driving prices through the roof, are we better off waiting for these prices to fall back to earth or buying an alternative in the $400 range? If the latter, what should we get?

This was a pretty awesome Christmas for me this year. The family got me these new parts to upgrade my PC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017KE3DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIH8OW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's a Antec 550 power supply and a MSI 2gb gtx 760. GAF helped me greatly when building this pc so I have come to ask a couple questions. When replacing the power supply and video card, are there any pitfalls or issues I should be aware of? Also, I am going from an MSI 560ti to the 760, do I need to scrub the drivers and install fresh ones? My pc also has 4 gigs a ram at the moment and I am planning on selling the 560ti and getting 8gb. Thanks for any input PC gurus!

Dennis

Banned
So, my PC is weak as fuck right now so I just checked the temperatures on each of my CPU cores and.........95-98°C using less than 5% of the CPU capacity.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked am I?

I am thinking either
1) Dust in my rig
2) Bitcoin mining virus or something similar draining my resources

Any other suggestions?

kennah

I was all set to upgrade my slightly long in the tooth gaming PC yesterday, but R9 290X prices have skyrocketed.

With Bitcoin miners scooping these up and driving prices through the roof, are we better off waiting for these prices to fall back to earth or buying an alternative in the $400 range? If the latter, what should we get?
Get a 760 and upgrade next year.

But first. What card do you have now?

theultimo

So, my PC is weak as fuck right now so I just checked the temperatures on each of my CPU cores and.........95-98°C using less than 5% of the CPU capacity.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked am I?

I am thinking either
1) Dust in my rig
2) Bitcoin mining virus or something similar draining my resources

Any other suggestions?

If it's less then 5%, it's either dust or your CPU fan/ thermal paste. I would get a can of compressed air if it's dirty, but it might just be the fan has seized.

yatesl

Man, my 4670k is weak. I can't push 4.3GHz, even at 1.245v - crashes out after only 10 minutes under Prime's FFT. What's worse, 1.245v (which I'm using for 4.2GHz) pushes my CPU temps to ~84c, so I can't exactly give it more voltage either.

I guess I'll just have to be happy with what I have.

kharma45

No they are not, and the 2 items from Scan are from your recommendations previously

Is there something special about that RAM you reccomended, when I search HotUKDeals I can get RAM for cheaper

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=DDR3

That's grand then, sometimes they can charge delivery on certain stuff. Was going to suggest that if they were the motherboard is only a fiver more on Amazon, and the CPU is the same price.

RAM wise none of that HUKD stuff is in stock any more.

FLAguy954

So, I know someone who is selling a HIS turbo iceq 7870 for $130. I was wondering if I should pick one up early or wait until the summer to see how prices are then (I plan on buying parts for my build in the spring/summer of 2014).

bigkrev

So, I found out I have a Microcenter within a reasonable 45 minute drive of my house. I was told I could get a good Combo CPU/Motherboard combo from them. I go to The bundle page on the website, and have no clue how to proceede. If i'm looking to spend 800-1000, and plan on getting either a GTX 760 or 770, what should I be looking at?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, I found out I have a Microcenter within a reasonable 45 minute drive of my house. I was told I could get a good Combo CPU/Motherboard combo from them. I go to The bundle page on the website, and have no clue how to proceede. If i'm looking to spend 800-1000, and plan on getting either a GTX 760 or 770, what should I be looking at?

I'd say go with the 3570K with one of the Z77 boards, not sure Haswell is worth what will probably be a $50+ difference.

If they are in stock you can reserve them for pickup, then just go get them. Can pay at the store or online.

Exuro

Just realized my asus vg248qe had a dual link dvi cable. I hooked it up to my parent's recently built pc and I'm pretty sure it's only displaying at 60hz on the desktop. Does windows support higher hertz? In CCC it lists its hertz as a maximum of 144. There is a driver disc but it doesn't appear to do anything when I insert it.

One thing I've looked up is making sure the dvi cable in in a dvi-d port but I'm not sure which is which on an r9 270.

edit:Nevermind figured it out. Now if only csgo didnt start taking a dump on me.

dorkimoe

I wish I could find a reputable UK place to buy one of those from (Amazon UK don't stock them). I've been toying with the idea of replacing my ~5 year old Dell ST2410 for a while now, but can't justify £400 on a 1440p (or 120Hz or 3D, can't decide...) monitor.

per all my searching, there is a EBAY user who sells them that most people get them from. Maybe try that?

So I'm thinking about ordering this PC and rather new to this was seeing if I could maybe get some input from you gents.

I'd like a PC that ideally will be able to run most games coming out for a few years or at least with the ability to upgrade my machine with few new parts as needed.

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-3770 3.4GHz 8MB QUAD CORE

INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN

ASUS Z77-A LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400MHz (PC3 19200) Dual Channel (ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE)

SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s

ALLPCZONE Dual Fan Cooler for Hard Disk (RECOMMENDED)

24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW

(SPECIAL) nVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti 2GB DDR5 2-DVI/HDMI SLI PCI-EXP Video Card

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LOGISYS 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY

golem

I just picked up a 290X at retail price from BH Photo.

Now it is happily mining away!

kharma45

So I'm thinking about ordering this PC and rather new to this was seeing if I could maybe get some input from you gents.

I'd like a PC that ideally will be able to run most games coming out for a few years or at least with the ability to upgrade my machine with few new parts as needed.

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-3770 3.4GHz 8MB QUAD CORE

INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN

ASUS Z77-A LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400MHz (PC3 19200) Dual Channel (ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE)

SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s

ALLPCZONE Dual Fan Cooler for Hard Disk (RECOMMENDED)

24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW

(SPECIAL) nVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti 2GB DDR5 2-DVI/HDMI SLI PCI-EXP Video Card

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LOGISYS 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY

You want a 3770K not a 3770. And then you only want an i5 if you're doing media stuff. An i5 for gaming.

Pretty old GPU that, terrible PSU too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom