• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

jpatez34

Neo Member
Does anyone want to swap a UK Forza code for FIFA 14? I really don't like football games.
PM me if interested. Also just bought DR3 and Ryse, gonna have a blast once the installations are complete.

Peggle 2 = Game Crack! So addictive and so much fun!

Pug

Yes I do have picture. Also yes to the three IR lights. Voice commands work, too.

The only thing that doesn't work is waking the TV up, so I think the IR blaster is broken. I already configured the TV model in the settings, and the Kinect is right next to the TV base.

All right. I think I'm going to put in a request for the Kinect to be fixed as I don't even get the lightly lit Xbox Logo on it. The only time I see the Xbox logo light up is when it beams an IR sensor. This behavior is not normal right?
Do you have a Panasonic TV? If so lots of people are having problems with kinect not starting the TV. Apparently the IR blast is not long enough to start up certain Pani TV,s. I have a VT 20 and kinect does not wake it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I barely followed Xbone/Kinect news or don't remember much of it at least, but apparently the Kinect can be used a as mic for in-game communication with other players?

My brother and I were playing Battlefield 4 last night talking to each other not realizing it may have been doing that. Eventually my Dad and my Uncle made their way over so we're all sitting there talking about the game. We got a messages afterward saying "Just FYI the Kinect also works as a microphone."

Did we really just broadcast a 4 person conversation to the entire game?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I barely followed Xbone/Kinect news or don't remember much of it at least, but apparently the Kinect can be used a as mic for in-game communication with other players?

My brother and I were playing Battlefield 4 last night talking to each other not realizing it may have been doing that. Eventually my Dad and my Uncle made their way over so we're all sitting there talking about the game. We got a messages afterward saying "Just FYI the Kinect also works as a microphone."

Dunno, it's on by default in the settings though I think. You can go to settings and click Kinect to turn that off.

GoDLiKe

Yeah it works as a microfone. Noticed that after playing FIFA 14 and realizing that the guy was answering my questions :p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I don't mind, but I didn't expect it. Pretty funny in retrospect if that's actually what happened.

Yeah it works as a microfone. Noticed that after playing FIFA 14 and realizing that the guy was answering my questions :p
Hahaha, I guess this must be the common reaction then.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

yeah, you did. i like having kinect work as the mic - but its obviously not always how i want to game. going into the options is kind of cumbersome, so i've gotten into the habit of plugging in the headset it came with and muting it while i play if i have friends over. not really sure thats any less cumbersome though, lol

Caayn

Microsoft should make it an option that's given to you during the initial set-up. I've met a lot of people who were broadcasting their conversation and it didn't sound like they were aware of it happening.

Dubz

Both Microsoft Music (or whatever it's called) and Music Unlimited (PS4 Music) really kinda blow. I wish I could just download Spotify, or better yet, stream MP3's from my PC like I could last gen. You can't even use the music service on the X1 as music for your games:(

Dosia

Do you have a Panasonic TV? If so lots of people are having problems with kinect not starting the TV. Apparently the IR blast is not long enough to start up certain Pani TV,s. I have a VT 20 and kinect does not wake it.

I have a vt25 and kinect turns it on and off.

Both Microsoft Music (or whatever it's called) and Music Unlimited (PS4 Music) really kinda blow. I wish I could just download Spotify, or better yet, stream MP3's from my PC like I could last gen. You can't even use the music service on the X1 as music for your games:(

You can stream music to x1 from your pc. And your phone/tablet.

You can also search for music on smartglass and it will automatically play on x1 when selected.

You canalso run xbox music snapped to play music while gaming but thats far from optimal.

I got my ass kicked lmao.

I got mine handed to me the first and second match, then I started to win a bit. I have a blast playing online.

Shame Peggle 2's online mode doesn't work for me. It always fails to join the games it finds, after wasting 2-3 minutes of my life.

Sorry to hear that. I think once you get into a match and get the hang of the way the matches flow, you will like it.

Giggzy

you still have to use xbox music. (the app, not the service)

to answer the question though, you use "PlayTo" to send music to your xbox

Aww, bummer. I hope they come out with an update to stream in the background like the PS4 does. I hate taking up screen real estate just for music.

Dubz

You can stream music to x1 from your pc. And your phone/tablet.

You can also search for music on smartglass and it will automatically play on x1 when selected.

You canalso run xbox music snapped to play music while gaming but thats far from optimal.

Cool. I found a video on how to stream from PC. Thanks!

FlipCup

Neo Member
So I finally got an Xbox One!! It's great so far. However, I see that the "Xbox On" command is causing issues for some. I usually have a 10% success rate with that command as the others work 90-100% of the time.

Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed through software (e.g. a patch) or will I have to replace the system or kinect?

Kibbles

Microsoft should make it an option that's given to you during the initial set-up. I've met a lot of people who were broadcasting their conversation and it didn't sound like they were aware of it happening.
Yeah I think it's on as a Mic on default, I wasn't aware of it either. I wasn't playing with anyone when I found out but yeah lol

Hawk269

Anyone have issues with the Blu Ray app and lip syncing? I have used Netflix, Gaming and Xbox Video on the Xbox One and the lip syncing has been perfect, but we tried watching a blu ray last night and the lip sync was way off. I don't want to adjust my receiver because then it would through off Netflix, gaming, xbox video etc. Any other way to fix this or is the app just screwed up?

Hawk269

So I finally got an Xbox One!! It's great so far. However, I see that the "Xbox On" command is causing issues for some. I usually have a 10% success rate with that command as the others work 90-100% of the time.

Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed through software (e.g. a patch) or will I have to replace the system or kinect?

Recalibrate your Kinect, make sure to turn up the volume as high as you can. When the Kinect tries to calibrate it will tell you if it is too loud..if it is, turn it down a little and try again until it is able to run the test at the highest possible volume.

I have had my Xbox One since launch and have not had any issues with "Xbox On" at all. This morning, I did have to say it twice, but the first time I said it I had just took a sip of coffee, so not sure if I said it properly, but outside of that, I have had close to no issues with it.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.

It sucked for me at first... I think it's the way you say it... I was saying xboxon instead of xbox ... On... Now it works well..

Also

To follow up , I was having issues with my kinect not working. I brought it to the Microsoft store and they gave me a brand new one no questions asked.

Anyone have issues with the Blu Ray app and lip syncing? I have used Netflix, Gaming and Xbox Video on the Xbox One and the lip syncing has been perfect, but we tried watching a blu ray last night and the lip sync was way off. I don't want to adjust my receiver because then it would through off Netflix, gaming, xbox video etc. Any other way to fix this or is the app just screwed up?

Yep, a friend noticed this issue earlier when we were watching Man of Steel. Seems the player is need of an update. PS4 player is fine though...

Sanic

Aww, bummer. I hope they come out with an update to stream in the background like the PS4 does. I hate taking up screen real estate just for music.

This is concerning for the future, especially for things like game streaming. I don't want to lose screen space just to do more than one thing at once. These kinds of things should all run in the background. I have this feeling that we're going to need to snap the twitch app to do streaming.

sangreal

This is concerning for the future, especially for things like game streaming. I don't want to lose screen space just to do more than one thing at once. These kinds of things should all run in the background. I have this feeling that we're going to need to snap the twitch app to do streaming.

Probably. Right now i think only skype runs in the background. It's ios style multitasking

Pug

I have a vt25 and kinect turns it on and off.

Kinect turns off the VT20 no problem and will switch it on but only when its warm, if the TV has been off for a long period say overnight in standby it does not turn it on. You can see the leds on the flicker, indicating that Kinect is trying to switch on, but the blast doesn't last long enough. Lots of people have reported this problem in this thread.

frontieruk

As it stands you are probably right, though I can't see why ms couldn't get streaming running in the background, it just seems low on their priorities

Dubz

OK so I am trying to decide if I want to use Xbox Music to replace Spotify, and so far it's a resounding hell no. No genre search, no discovery, and no ability to fast forward or rewind. Let me say that last part again. No ability to FAST FORWARD OR REWIND!

I also have a PS4 and while you can fast forward and rewind with Music Unlimited, you also have no discovery tool, and it is as slow as molasses compared to Xbox Music.

To take advantage of the 3 games for 3 months Live thing I only have one game to get and its out of Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct.

Are the achievements in Crimson Dragon a pretty easy 1k? Figured I might as well get something out of it if I'm not going to enjoy the game :p

To take advantage of the 3 games for 3 months Live thing I only have one game to get and its out of Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct.

Are the achievements in Crimson Dragon a pretty easy 1k? Figured I might as well get something out of it if I'm not going to enjoy the game :p

1K for Crimson Dragon is not easy, but it's doable. KI will take forever to get 1K. KI is great and Crimson Dragon is bad, though. Please get KI instead.

SPDIF

Is there any chance that x1 will support mkv? I want to rip my bluray collection and ideally play them via my x1.

Microsoft themselves will likely never officially support it. But if MS finally open up the Xbox app store for all developers to port their apps to, and it does seem that they'll be doing this in some capacity, then a media player app with MKV support could be made available for download. That's what it'll take if you want to play them locally, it really depends on how open MS allow the store to be though.

OK so I am trying to decide if I want to use Xbox Music to replace Spotify, and so far it's a resounding hell no. No genre search, no discovery, and no ability to fast forward or rewind. Let me say that last part again. No ability to FAST FORWARD OR REWIND!

I also have a PS4 and while you can fast forward and rewind with Music Unlimited, you also have no discovery tool, and it is as slow as molasses compared to Xbox Music.

Doesn't the Radio feature allow for that, or am I just misunderstanding what you mean?

Am crying

My HDMI connector broke on me. I started seeing red blotches along with red lines on my TV screen. I unplugged it to fine that my HDMI connector was broken. I just downloaded Crimson Dragon and was really enjoying it

john-boehner-crying-12-22-10.png

RIP Xbox One. You were kicking ass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
trying to set up PC sharing with the xbox one and i got the following error - "windows was unable to install your digital media renderer". going into the xbox one OS properties and clicking update drivers gives me the same error.

Downloaded update, installing it now. Hoping the kinect works this close (I game at a desk).

I game on a desk too although its pretty deep. Voice commands are fine for me but when I wanted to play Kinect Sports Rivals I had to balance it on top of the TV to get it to work.

Also, it will log me properly with Kinect but unsurprisingly doesn't work if something is in the way, I have mine at an angle to avoid my laptop and iPad blocking the view of Kinect.

What games did you get? Congratulations on jumping in.

Gotta say, I'm somewhat surprised after all the pre-release hullabaloo. I'm definitely interested in your impressions. Keep us posted.

I'm not surprised. A lot of the active posters who have been around here a while get all the consoles, even those who have a clear preference for one over the other.

Top Bottom