• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes. I was thinking about it the other day and just who post it above.

On another topic I had Hulu skip 10 minutes randomly during Arrested Developed tonight. The eyes are covered and there were no queues showing an input initiated the jump.
Hulu is really twitchy and weird. Amazon instant video on the other hand is an excellent video player on the One.

Hulu has all my Samurai stuff though.

iMax

I'm pretty sure that only works if the Kinect can clearly see who's talking, so the software knows which sound to cut out and which to listen to. Can the Kinect clearly see your face from where you sit? Do you always face the Kinect when you're talking?

Yeah, it can always see my face but I'm probably a good 12 feet away, if that makes any difference.

derFeef

Hulu is really twitchy and weird. Amazon instant video on the other hand is an excellent video player on the One.

I envy you americans with those video services. there is just nothing for me and the XBO is falling flat on it's face when it comes down to video on demand here...

Marco1

Absolutely loving my xbone with ryse, dr3 and forza5.
But I've disconnected kinect with the hope that it improves enough to reconnect it. I hated the gesture movements and it doesn't pick up what I want to it do enough.
But this system has so much potential and I'm hoping MS does something about it.
Also give us universal controller rumble off please.

Caayn

You can change the delay time in the settings menu. May help.
That doesn't alter the duration of the IR blast. I can see the light on my TV blinking when the Xbox turns on, indicating that it receives a signal. But the signal is simply to short for my TV to except. I've seen others in this topic who also had a Panasonic TV and they expressed the same problem in combination with Kinect.
I envy you americans with those video services. there is just nothing for me and the XBO is falling flat on it's face when it comes down to video on demand here...
Jup :( Netflix launched here in September/October this year. So I was happy and excited that a big VoD was settling in my country. Only to be disappointed that the content they offered was at least 3 years old.
So the extra media stuff is nice but just like the 360, outside of the US it's practically useless :( It's time that started to change.

NavNucST3

Amazon would be so much better if they would group the seasons of TV shows...

All of the video players seem to pickup movements at different times...I've accidentally fast forwarded in Netflix reaching for my water on the table and hanging my legs over the edge of the sofa caused another transport control issue in either Amazon or Netflix, can't remember at the moment. I was never a fan of Hulu so I haven't used it. I'm actually surprised by how much better the other TV station apps seem to be now.

What I REALLY like is going into the Movie/TV store and seeing not just what apps the movie or tv show is available on to "rent/buy/free with subscription" but also which channel/station and time it's playing on my cable provider along with Rotten Tomatoes reviews. Of course that only works for "properly" named titles and since so many titles are "Unrated" or "SmartGlass" MSFT database sees these as separate titles which they are (technically) but I'd still like to see all of the listings in a single listing with something akin to how they have "switch to SD" they could possibly have "switch to unrated/smartglass/dual-pack/etc..." or maybe in the area where they have all of the selectable cast members they could allow me to see all the available versions of the title.

Razdek

Banned
MS need to stop bundling this update business with disc installs ASAP.

Second on this as it's annoying especially when I want to play a game right away. Some of the decisions they made for this console is baffling and hopefully it gets corrected soon.

Caayn

How do you share Xbox DVR clips on skydrive without the person needing to log in? Am I missing something? derp

*edit think i got it, had to share folder on skydrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=61FED1EB8082EB4B!1897&authkey=!AGQa8LHPJrgYcpw&ithint=folder,

This work?
That works. But it might be better to share on a video basis instead of folder. It's also easier to share a specific video that way;)
When in SkyDrive select the video and let it play, in the bar at the top of the page you should see "share". Click it and in the pop-up window click "share link" or something similar. The link generated here gives everyone access to that video.

zedge

That works. But it might be better to share on a video basis instead of folder. It's also easier to share a specific video that way;)
When in SkyDrive select the video and let it play, in the bar at the top of the page you should see "share". Click it and in the pop-up window click "share link" or something similar. The link generated here gives everyone access to that video.

Ah, cool. Thanks!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...99&authkey=!AJCo1byCtNYECw0&ithint=video,.mp4

Here we go.

what setting does the kinect have to be on to turn the xbox on when i say 'xbox on'? it never works. no matter how loud i say it. also, how to you completely remove something from the system? i downloaded killer instinct from the marketplace, hated it and removed it by holding down select and choosing uninstall, yet it's still there only darkened out. i can't press the select button on it now.

malfcn

Okay I just had a big scare.

Turned on the xbox and had the green screen. Start checking out the TV menus so I don't r what is happening.

Go back and the TV is blank. No dashboard or anything. Console is unresponsive, and I cycle through inputs.

Hold down the home button and the screen sites activity and eventually the dashboard appears. I don't have auto sign in so I click sign in..

And the console asks me for my email to add a new account and shows no accounts. Exit and click sign in again and then they are there. Sign in and my child are default for a bit and then pop into place.

Anyone have this happen?

zedge

So after picking up Ryse today, I just bought Forza 5 and KI. Expensive couple days. :D

Have to say though, I am really impressed with the system so far. Having both now, this and PS4 the One definitely has a more 'next gen' feel to it. Not talking graphics etc just overall. When I came home today and said 'xbox on', turns on, then 'watch tv' and it worked flawless I was like 'shit yea'.... haha.

theytookourjobz

So I'm almost done with Ryse and ummmm.... I actually am really enjoying the story. I am of the opinion that most videogame stories are absolute dogshit but this game has my undivided attention when I'm playing! Maybe it's the great animation and great voice acting combined with the fact that Gladiator is one of my favorite movies but I am really impressed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I'm almost done with Ryse and ummmm.... I actually am really enjoying the story. I am of the opinion that most videogame stories are absolute dogshit but this game has my undivided attention when I'm playing! Maybe it's the great animation and great voice acting combined with the fact that Gladiator is one of my favorite movies but I am really impressed.

yep. And the combat is super fun imo.

IRQ

Banned
Anyone having problems with the fucking bf4 campaign? It's just keeps resting my progress. I have played now the first mission 5 times. Completed the second, third and fourth mission yesterday. Now I have to play them all over again for the third time. I just don't understand that's even allowed to release a broken products this much and we have to pay full price for it.

Chitown B

MS need to stop bundling this update business with disc installs ASAP.

why does it matter? It'll need to be updated either way. Especially disc versions, since they're out of date the second they're pressed. I would go all digital if you want less updates - but then of course you'll have to download the game as well.

Chitown B

Absolutely loving my xbone with ryse, dr3 and forza5.
But I've disconnected kinect with the hope that it improves enough to reconnect it. I hated the gesture movements and it doesn't pick up what I want to it do enough.
But this system has so much potential and I'm hoping MS does something about it.
Also give us universal controller rumble off please.

I haven't used gestures once. You should hook it up and use the voice commands. You have it, might as well.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
PlayTo streaming from Windows 7 work for anyone?

Works from an app on my phone (Linada on WP8), but not my computer. Same problem exists with streaming to my TV, so its probably something with Windows 7..

PlayTo streaming from Windows 7 work for anyone?

Works from an app on my phone (Linada on WP8), but not my computer. Same problem exists with streaming to my TV, so its probably something with Windows 7..

Yes I have it working on windows 7 and 8 nothing different setting them up that I can remeber.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Do you have media sharing set up on the windows 7 computer?

Yep. It works as a media server, just the PlayTo that doesn't work.
Which I guess makes this not an Xbox One problem if it works for others, I just figured I should rule that out first.

Razdek

Banned
why does it matter? It'll need to be updated either way. Especially disc versions, since they're out of date the second they're pressed. I would go all digital if you want less updates - but then of course you'll have to download the game as well.

It matters because I want to play the game as soon as possible and them bundling the updates and install makes it that much longer. Why can't it install part the game first to the point where it allows me to play and then finish the install and update later?

Razdek

Banned
yep. And the combat is super fun imo.

Stinkles, do you guys over at 343 have any input at all over the user experience or features in the Xbox One? I bet that if Bungie was still a part of Microsoft they would've said something about the install process as it's really not a great user experience.

hwalker84

Stinkles, do you guys over at 343 have any input at all over the user experience or features in the Xbox One? I bet that if Bungie was still a part of Microsoft they would've said something about the install process as it's really not a great user experience.

Doubt it. Most internal developers with any sense would've called Microsoft out on the deficiencies of their OS if they could. Still pissed off my controller died mid ranked match in Killer Instinct without any warning.

Swishh

Banned
Is Toys R Us still doing buy 1 game, get 40% off another - when does/did it end?

And can I get this deal pre ordering xbox one games online?

Razdek

Banned
Doubt it. Most internal developers with any sense would've called Microsoft out on the deficiencies of their OS if they could. Still pissed off my controller died mid ranked match in Killer Instinct without any warning.

You're probably right, too many "yes men" during their dog fooding and didn't want to get in trouble.

PG2G

The installation system is one of the things that might have had to be reworked as part of the 180. I'm sure it'll get better.

RdN

That's exactly how it started with my console. The next day the sound was gone and the console started to get random disc read errors.

What really annoys me is that it was perfect yesterday! Argh.. Already called support, let's see how this goes.

Hammer24

Banned
You're probably right, too many "yes men" during their dog fooding and didn't want to get in trouble.

Dunno if my sarcasm meter is badly broken, but... I´ll bite.
No one bites the hand that feeds them. I´m sure they criticize everything they don´t like, but they´ll be doing it internally, and not via Twitter, gaming "journalists" or some such nonsense.

What really annoys me is that it was perfect yesterday! Argh.. Already called support, let's see how this goes.
my launch console was fine for about three weeks until the problems started. I already got my replacement but I'm afraid to insert the DVD that started the problems on the other console. I know the disc is fine because I tested it on other devices but still...

bidguy

Banned
so why does everyone have different dates for warranty ? my standard warranty goes till february 2016 while my buddy only got a year.

is it different from country to country ?

neodeano

so why does everyone have different dates for warranty ? my standard warranty goes till february 2016 while my buddy only got a year.

is it different from country to country ?

Yeah, basically. 1 year in uk, two in Aus, etc. Generally whatever the government forces them to adhere to. Apple are currently being fined in Aus for not adhering to two years, they seem to think they can do whatever they want.

Caayn

Yeah, basically. 1 year in uk, two in Aus, etc. Generally whatever the government forces them to adhere to. Apple are currently being fined in Aus for not adhering to two years, they seem to think they can do whatever they want.
Don't expect to much out of it. Apple has been sued many times here and in the end they still hold strong to their idotic warranty plans/philosophy. The only thing that has changed is how they write their warranty policy.
In The Netherlands we have a 2 year minimum warranty for consumer electronics. For the third year you're still eligible for warranty but the company is allowed to ask for a payment of 1/3 of the repair/replacement cost. Never had any problems with this with any company... well except for Apple, who says fuck you did you buy our extended warranty plan? No, good here's the bill.

Marco1

I had to delete forza5 and it's update due to what I thought was a faulty install. After I reinstalled it and the patch again, all of my progress and cars were still there. I love this type of stuff and it's what makes next gen worth it, I just wish they had stayed of the cloud processing bullshit.

Lima

I had to delete forza5 and it's update due to what I thought was a faulty install. After I reinstalled it and the patch again, all of my progress and cars were still there. I love this type of stuff and it's what makes next gen worth it, I just wish they had stayed of the cloud processing bullshit.

Yeah real next gen that your save doesn't get deleted. Like I'm trying real hard to not fall out of my chair right now.

Marco1

Yeah real next gen that your save doesn't get deleted. Like I'm trying real hard to not fall out of my chair right now.
What I meant is why can't we access the file system so that we can delete every trace of the game or are the saves deleted then DL,ed from the cloud when the game is reinstalled?

Lima

What I meant is why can't we access the file system so that we can delete every trace of the game or are the saves deleted then DL,ed from the cloud when the game is reinstalled?

There is a local copy of your save on the HDD and everything is stored on their servers.

You can't delete save games unless there is an ingame option.

Top Bottom