• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft begins to auto-schedule PCs to upgrade to Windows 10 without your consent

Tak3n

Banned
seems thread worthy and potentially huge if you do not want Windows 10, you essentially have to check everyday now to stop MS from updating you over night without your consent

Windows 10 has been with us for a little over eight months now, which means there are only about four months remaining to get a free upgrade from an older Windows operating system. As the clock counts down, Microsoft has begun to auto-schedule PCs to upgrade to Windows 10 with or without consent from end users.

When Microsoft created Windows 10, it tied in numerous monitoring and data collection tools. The operating system is capable of gathering your search history, web usage, Windows Store usage, details of what applications you use, voice recordings, emails, geographic information and just about anything else that is on your PC. This information is gathered in part for improving Windows-based services, but it is also used for market research and advertising purposes.

Because each user on Windows 10 increases the amount of advertising information available to Microsoft, which in turn enables Microsoft to earn more revenue from selling this data, it is not surprising that Microsoft wants everyone to use its new OS

Now, as we near the end of the free upgrade period, Microsoft’s malware-like upgrade system is becoming even more intrusive by autoscheduling upgrades to Windows 10. I noticed that the Windows 10 upgrade reminder pop-up on a Windows 7 PC was no longer asking me to upgrade; instead, it’s now informing me that it has already scheduled an update for May 17.

Windows-10-Forced-Upgrade_w_600.png

There are options to cancel the scheduled upgrade or to change the upgrade date, so the system isn’t exactly forcing you to upgrade if you catch it soon enough. The problem is that some users won’t see it in time to stop it; they’ll wake up one morning to use their PC and find it is stuck attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 or hogging bandwidth while Windows 10 downloads

Hopefully after July 29, Microsoft will deactivate this overbearing upgrade system, but until then, watchfulness and diligence is the only way to be sure your system does not upgrade to Windows 10 without your knowledge.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-auto-schedules-updates,31802.html

Yep, the auto-update got my laptop while the gf was home the other day. I'd been putting it off for a while to back up some photos and whatnot just in case. Luckily, it seems to have gone off w/out a hitch.

WaterAstro

I feel like I should really get onto this.

Upgrade to Win 10 and downgrade back to Win 8 just so I can have Win 10's license.

Lagamorph

Better keep an eye in my mum's laptop.
It's on 8.1 and I've upgraded it to 10 once before, but it just caused the system to lag incredibly, even though it should've been fine spec wise. Was probably the drivers really. Rolled it back to 8.1 but it's set to auto update for her.

I might turn off Windows Updates entirely until July.

Just opened my laptop to make sure to cancel it. While I don't have anything against Windows 10 on my desktop, but I've seen another laptop I owned that I upgraded from 8 to 10 become incredibly slow, so I'm sticking with 7 on that laptop.

Although, I will say, in general, I still prefer 7 over 10.

Aselith

It's on 8.1 and I've upgraded it to 10 once before, but it just caused the system to lag incredibly, even though it should've been fine spec wise. Was probably the drivers really. Rolled it back to 8.1 but it's set to auto update for her.

Just do a clean install of 10. Windows 8.1 is trash garbage.

It actually upgraded to W10 without me even giving consent the other day. I was playing Hearthstone on my laptop and all of a sudden it was turning off and started to install W10. I rolled it back as soon as my laptop turned on.

Skinpop

disgusting, this should be illegal.

I got gwx installed but is there table somewhere documenting which updates are safe to download?

edit: pretty sure I got that prompt in jan/feb this year.

Krakn3Dfx

This is pretty shitty, I'm already running Windows 10, but they shouldn't be trapping people into the upgrade who don't know to go in and turn it off.

JaggedSac

Not really...?
My home pc still warns me every single day that I can update to Win 10 but still hasn't forced me to.

It has been a recommended update since Feb. Depending on your update settings, recommended updates get installed automatically. They are about 3 months late with this.

PMS341

Been like this for a while, sadly. Windows 10 has some interesting features but generally just feels very bloatware-heavy with major gaming and privacy issues.

The forced upgrade is most definitely due to their newer "privacy" features, no doubt.

Arren

This kind of persistent approach is getting very irritating and to me this really paints Windows 10 as an invasive ecosystem all around, going completely against any semblance of user freedom.

As many benefits and shiny new functions as the new OS provides, it should still be up to the individual user whether to upgrade or not.

There are several reasons to stay with Windows 7 still to this day, not to mention all the telemetry and information gathering that their new technological beacon carries out in the background. Outright nasty.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Fuck Windows 10 I'm sticking with 7 until they pry it out of my cold dead hands!!!! it's been serving me well

Cheers, just checked and my scheduled one was June 11 "based on my Windows settings" fuck off

I've been getting the popups but it never told me I had a scheduled date until I clicked the icon that won't leave my toolbar

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Happened to my work machine a couple of months back. Was away for a few days, came back, suddenly my machine was Win10.

ViciousDS

Banned

Why the heck would you want 8 over 10........10 is a way superior OS compared to the shit that is 8

They've been doing this for a long time now. I was at a LAN a few months ago and they had a little CSGO tournament happening. During the last game someone's PC suddenly rebooted and started installing Windows 10. Oh you were playing a game? What a shame!

Windows 10 itself also loves to do this - if it chose to reboot at a specific time for updates it will reboot, no matter what is going on.

cakely

Gross, but I haven't been affected yet.

I need to remember to check my queued updates before I shut down for the next few months.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Besides MS doing this I'm frankly sick of the auto update service. Besides it being a resource hog no control means for users that like their pcs to start on it randomly updaates. Thankfully work is saved but I'm not a fan of updates that cause my OS to be reinstalled or worse as various updates keep doing play around with the software I use.

I love windows but it's fucking mess in some areas. I also think this is mega shady considering they do not treat Win10 licenses like the old ones and convert them in the process.

Meanwhile, I'm on Vista and Microsoft still expects me to pay for my own upgrade. Seeing the ridiculous lengths they will go to try and force this upgrade on people while refusing it to owners of their third-worst OS is very hurtful.

Mikey Jr.

I'm still on Windows 8, lol.

Ms can't fucking touch me till I go to 8.1, and I get no notifications to upgrade to that.

I wish they would force upgrade my Windows 10 to the latest version :/ I've been stuck on build 10240. Don't get any W10 updates except security and Windows defender. Think I'm going to have to reinstall.

ghostjoke

Banned
I wish they would force upgrade my Windows 10 to the latest version :/ I've been stuck on build 10240. Don't get any W10 updates except security and Windows defender. Think I'm going to have to reinstall.

Have you disabled "give me updates on other Microsoft products" in windows updates? That can prevent the build updates.

Top Bottom