• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an Xbox One and it's frustrating as hell

Recently picked up an Xbox One S and dear god has my experience been stupidly frustrating so far. First of all I don't understand why the user interface seems to be so clunky and designed poorly. Sometimes I have to look all over the place to find what I want. It's slow and doesn't seem well thought out. I assume i'll get used to it over time but anywho...

I bought a physical copy of Sunset Overdrive today, and wanted to check it out a bit before going to bed. Welp, its taking for-freaking-ever just to install the damn thing...off the disc! Okay, before that though it asked me if I wanted to download the update, and I selected No because I just wanted to try the game out real quick.

Well part way into the install the game allows/asks me to start it (I guess you can play parts of it without full install?) so I start it but nope, a screen comes up saying there's an update and I click cancel..it won't let me start the game. At this point I figure I just have to wait for the full game to install, which I do...even though I wanted to be in bed at this point since work tomorrow. Anyways, I wait for the full install, start the game...and it asks for the update again. I select cancel...and the game won't start. What the fuck?

I needed to vent...

The Flash

Banned
I needed to vent...

image.php

The OS takes some getting used to for sure.

Xenoflare

Huh, with the surge of Xbox One S, posts like these are getting increasingly common.

What I do OP, is that to decline the update and let it install the disc first to save time, if you don't the device will try to do both at the same time making it really slow.

RoKKeR

I'm confused, why not just update? Doesn't the game need it to play? Honestly don't know as I've never hit "Cancel" on an update in the past.

Gestault

I would say you get used to some of the interface clunkiness, but honestly, sometimes it really does bug you even after you're used to the quirks. Most of your time is in-game obviously, but you just have to ask "why?" every now and then.

Otherwise I do think you'll ease into it.

R3TRODYCE

Welcome to the world of Xbox One lol. The UI is a clunky mess and it irritates me to use the damn thing because it feels slow to do basic things.

GHG

Gold Member
The UI is a steaming pile of shit. It's a hurdle you have to deal with to play the games. Thankfully I pretty much just play 1 game on the console now (FH3) so never have to step outside of that to deal with it.

I use smartglass on my iPad to use the social features like send messages etc. It keeps me sane that way.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've had mine forever and still have no clue how to use it. Tbf, I don't use it much but it was far from intuitive.

The game installs are miserable as well. Enjoy!

Kaydan

Banned
I don't understand how so many people have so much problems with such a simple UI... blows my mind.

The installs do take a lot of time though, I try to install stuff before I actually intend to play usually.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't understand how so many people have so much problems with such a simple UI... blows my mind.

Agree. It's simply tiles and you choose what you want. Definitely not perfect but My Games & Apps is so straightforward/basic that I don't see how anyone could get confused.

gt86

I still can't get over the install times. Ps4 for the most part is 1 min and you can at least play offline, not the xbone, get a new game take a nap.

blakep267

The installs do take a lot of time though, I try to install stuff before I actually intend to play usually.

I don't know if its a gaf thing but like I wanna make a video series since for some reason its rocket science. R trigger goes to pins. Scrolling left brings up friends and stuff. R bumper changes tabs. Im not sure whats so difficult

Welcome to the Xbox One

It's not bad once you get used to it, but the interface is very unintuitive and everything is buried in their own weird menus. It's far better than it was when I bought it but still far from enjoyable to navigate

Unfortunately the OS is still slow and laggy and crashy and I doubt that will ever be fixed

The good news is once you actually get a game installed and start playing none of that matters much. But yeah. Don't ever count on something being quick and easy

sikkinixx

Yeah it's fucking awful to do anything beyond just playing a game. Achievements? -annoying. Friends list stuff? Annoying. Store? Cluttered as fuck. Game library? Annoying as hell.

It's terrible. Just terrible.

That was my experience with the console too, i ended up selling it awhile ago as i'm back in college but i don't see myself buying another down the road.

Bessy67

I'm always sad whenever I see these topics because I'm worried MS will listen to these complaints and give us a PS4 style scroll through everything you've ever used on the console UI line for the next update.

I'm always sad whenever I see these topics because I'm worried MS will listen to these complaints and give us a PS4 style scroll through everything you've ever used on the console UI line for the next update.

Folders have made the PS4's OS very comfortable to use.

bigmac996

Yeah the UI is absolutely terrible and it's a shame because it was so much more intuitive before they remodeled it.

The Xbox One felt like a step backwards from the 360. The installs thing hasn't been a problem for me recently but it was definitely an issue when I first got the machine.

It kind of subconsciously pushes me to buy digital version of games.

RowdyReverb

Pretty much. I've become accustomed to popping the disc in as soon as I bring a new game home even if I don't have time to play it right then just so it has time to finish installing and updating

farisr

I don't find the UI confusing, but it is slow, and clunky. And often even when I know where I want to go, you can mess up easily due to their insistence on having everything on screen at once and their highlights often just blending in with everything else. So you can end up going "there's games and apps, I just need to press right to get to it," then do it only to realize that your active selection/cursor was actually at the top row of options and it's going to take you to an entirely new tab instead because you just did that.

Also hate that when you just want to go to the left side to go to settings, rather than give you immediate access to those icons where you can clearly see them, they'd rather do the slow thing and pull up your entire friends list alongside it. Should honestly be an extra click to get to that friends list. Would be much quicker.

It feels like an interface that would be great and quick with a mouse, but not good for navigation with a controller.

And yeah, installs take much longer than the ps4 usually (even in offline mode). And the "keep my console/games/apps updated" option doesn't seem to work for me for some reason (even though I have the appropriate power setting set up as well).

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I will never understand posts like these as I love this console and never had any issues with the UI. It might not be as simplistic as the PS4 UI, but that doesn't mean it's hard to use either. If kids can figure it out don't know why anyone else wouldn't be able to. It's all separated in tabs, really easy to go where you need to. Bit it's NeoGAF, so I'm starting to get used to negativity towards the Xbox one.

Also, I'm all digital so never had to do a game install, wouldn't actually know if it is frustrating or not.

EVO

I don't own one, but I remember my brother had the same problem with installs taking forever. Turns out when you install a game off the disc it automatically downloads and installs the patch too. Problem is, it lumps both in the same progress bar, which makes the game install appear longer than it actually takes.

ss_lemonade

I don't know if its a gaf thing but like I wanna make a video series since for some reason its rocket science. R trigger goes to pins. Scrolling left brings up friends and stuff. R bumper changes tabs. Im not sure whats so difficult
It's sometimes super slow for some reason, especially their clunky store (and when I say super slow, I mean the slowest interface I've ever dealt with in my life). It doesn't seem to affect everyone though.

A factory reset somehow fixed the issue for me but I barely even used the thing so I don't know it ended up being so slow in the first place. Who knows if it'll come back again lol

ryan13ts

I still can't get over the install times. Ps4 for the most part is 1 min and you can at least play offline, not the xbone, get a new game take a nap.

This is my #2 complaint about Xbox One that I've had since day one. The stark contrast of install times between XB1 and PS4 is so huge that it baffles me. I still don't know why it takes like 20 times longer to install on XB1 vs PS4's super fast installs.

#1 would be the absolutely broken controller synching, but that's a complaint for a whole other thread..

Gamezone

Gold Member
Installations on Xbox One takes forever, yes. Somehow Microsoft is unable to solve this. Wasn't this one of the first things Phil Spencer wanted to solve?

The installs take so long because it is downloading any updates as part of the install.

Add me to the list of people confused by complaints about the UI. Is it network related or something? I legitimately have never had a problem since the overhaul they did last year. About as responsive as my ps4.

Agree. It's simply tiles and you choose what you want. Definitely not perfect but My Games & Apps is so straightforward/basic that I don't see how anyone could get confused.

True.

In my case, the only "where is it?" moment I can possibly think of is when I try to reedem a code (Cortana isn't working for me now, maybe something to do with kinect config ) but that's it. You have literally all your games and social stuff two or three steps ahead...

remz

Using my housemate's ps4 has been pretty eye opening. Xbox one is such a slow and infuriating experience now, even more so than it was at launch (although to be fair, I pretty much used mine to strictly play KI at launch)

I really think microsoft need to reprioritise, first and foremost they should be working on an OS that gets you to games quickly. The install times are unnacceptable.

Side note: why are install sizes so fucking big this gen. Halo 5 is like over 100GB

I will never understand posts like these as I love this console and never had any issues with the UI. It might not be as simplistic as the PS4 UI, but that doesn't mean it's hard to use either. If kids can figure it out don't know why anyone else wouldn't be able to. It's all separated in tabs, really easy to go where you need to. Bit it's NeoGAF, so I'm starting to get used to negativity towards the Xbox one.

Also, I'm all digital so never had to do a game install, wouldn't actually know if it is frustrating or not.

It's just not intuitive at first glance. Nothing all that hard to understand. Folks are detailing all kinds of little shortcuts and wondering why people don't magically know that from the jump.

There's something about it I like, but it is a clunky interface.

Top Bottom