• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox Retail Version might contain 4 Discs

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update:

It's now confirmed that the BG3 physical release will have 4 discs on Series X.

Announced by Larian Studios in November 2023, the physical edition of Baldur's Gate 3 promises to be very generous in its amount of content. According to publishing manager Michael Douse, those who purchase the Xbox version could end up taking home three to four installation discs.

In an interview with Kotaku, Douse explained that this is due to an internal decision by the developer. As they want the whole game to be available without the need to download any of its parts, this has considerably increased the amount of physical media required.

Last edited:

Senua

pcgKxSJ.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The final install size on Xbox is 120 something GB, so unless they're adding a lot of extra content, it should fit in 3 discs.

It's all gonna be an install anyway.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I played Secret of the Monkey Island 2 on my Amiga in the 90's. It was on 14 floppy disks...
Anyway BG3 is so huge, each chapter takes 20+ hours bare minimum so changing a disk every 20-30 hours is manageable ^^

I thought you guys loved physical. The more disks the better right!? 🤣
You joke, but yes, this is an ideal physical release as all the game data is printed on the discs or would you prefer the COD way where they put a 40MB installer on the disc and the actual game (which is 120GB in size or larger) gets downloaded from the servers?

Anyway, props to Larian for doing a proper physical release for BG3 on both Xbox and PlayStation.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
For people who love physical media this is great. Just think of all of the discs you'll have. The discs to dollars ratio just can't be beat!

The same people probably think the consoles play the games off the disc, when that hasn't been the case since the PS3 and 360. Since 2014 all console games are installed entirely on the HDD and the disc in the drive just acts as your license key to launch the game.

Unlike the 360 days, the disc size or read speed is irrelevant since 100% of content is installed to the HDD. (SSD, you get the idea)

Well, your fastest parts are only as fast as your slowest component 😉

Takes up zero discs on my Series X, which is exactly how i bought it.

Your Series X has a built-in CD changer? 😲🙀

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I had to dig up my original box, old memories...

And you're right, only 11 disks !

slRPu6F.jpg
You've still got yours too, nice one! :messenger_beermugs:

I've stupidly put my copy protection wheel somewhere and I'll be damned if I can find it! It must be hidden in another game box somewhere.

I only remembered as I was ironically having a sort out the other day and this was the first game I opened for old times sake. I'd found an old hoard of Amiga games at the back of cupboard I hadn't been in for years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They must've been up there for thirty odd years. Then it hit me, I got old :messenger_neutral:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
^^ I've lost my anti-piracy wheel (with pirates heads on it, the irony) as well. These days I only use emulation (batocera etc.) for nostalgia, but I'm fond of these classic boxes I've bought myself 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
^^ I've lost my anti-piracy wheel (with pirates heads on it, the irony) as well. These days I only use emulation (batocera etc.) for nostalgia, but I'm fond of these classic boxes I've bought myself 30 years ago.
Same here, these days I just stuffed a load of Amiga HDF game files on the Steam Deck, can't believe how well it all works 👀

I might have to grab the Baldurs gate 3 physical though. I've started up buying physical media in droves lately. It's been quite refreshing to see how cheap some of it's dropped. Picked up a few PS5 games for under £10 on Amazon and in local CEX shops PS4 games are peanuts..

I'll no doubt find em in the back of a cupboard, in thirty years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Puscifer

The same people probably think the consoles play the games off the disc, when that hasn't been the case since the PS3 and 360. Since 2014 all console games are installed entirely on the HDD and the disc in the drive just acts as your license key to launch the game.
And that's bad why exactly?

MarkMe2525

I remember this difference in disk capacity coming up around launch period, but quickly being forgotten about as a talking point. Probably because the only time we switch discs is during the initial install.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just got a confirmation that the PC versions are shipping now, and the Xbox and PS5 versions pushed back to April/May due to some production issues. But no further delays are expected. And, Xbox version will indeed be on 4 discs instead of 3. Probably due to the recent big update they had to get on there.

Top Bottom