• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

SparkTR

Nintendo consoles always seem to be a hotbed for emulator developers, this and Citra are by far the most matured recent-generation emulators on the market. We're like a year away from games being fully playable it seems.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nintendo consoles always seem to be a hotbed for emulator developers, this and Citra are by far the most matured recent-generation emulators on the market. We're like a year away from games being fully playable it seems.

Because they've utilized a PowerPC architecture ever since GC for their CPUs. This architecture is well-understood.

atr0cious

is an aim of this to eventually be able to use the gamepad with it? I just wanna see someone finally crack that thing fully for the pc.

is an aim of this to eventually be able to use the gamepad with it? I just wanna see someone finally crack that thing fully for the pc.

The problem with the Gamepad is that it uses some very old, hacked hardware to communicate with the console. It's possible to talk to it already, just very, very hard and requires very specific wireless hardware.

-shadow-

Wow that went really fast! Can't wait for it to be a bit more usable. Bayonetta 2 at actual solid framerate would be awesome!

The problem with the Gamepad is that it uses some very old, hacked hardware to communicate with the console. It's possible to talk to it already, just very, very hard and requires very specific wireless hardware.

What are you talking about

This gets me excited about potentially being able to play smash 4 with out a boat load of lag.

On the other hand its kind of sad to see this happen as this might eat into some hardware sales if it really picks up.

What lag??

This gets me excited about potentially being able to play smash 4 with out a boat load of lag.

On the other hand its kind of sad to see this happen as this might eat into some hardware sales if it really picks up.

OryoN

Awesome, now people who were reluctant to purchase the console can enjoy all those great Wii U exclusives with gratuitous AA, higher resolutions, @ a whopping 7fps!

Joking aside, that's some impressive progress in terrms of the groundwork laid. However, given how customized Wii U's architecture is - with all those relatively huge on-die memory pools - I'm afraid the harder work is yet to come. I see a very long road ahead in terms of optimization. But hey, good luck!

jediyoshi

What are you talking about

Exactly what it says. The wireless functionality the Wii U uses to speak to the gamepad and vice versa may as well be proprietary, it's not standardized like Wiimote or Dualshock bluetooth. There's a talk from 2013 about reverse engineering it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1CqQK_beU

So to the original post, in the future, syncing a gamepad with a PC to use with the emulator is basically out of the question.

Exactly what it says. The wireless functionality the Wii U uses to speak to the gamepad and vice versa may as well be proprietary, it's not standardized like Wiimote or Dualshock bluetooth. There's a talk from 2013 about reverse engineering it

So to the original post, in the future, syncing a gamepad with a PC to use with the emulator is basically out of the question.

Well, there's always the possibility of someone manufacturing, erm, CafeBar.

Dr. Buni

Hardware sales of a system that's about to be replaced. Plus, emulation didn't seem to have a big impact in the DS hardware sales anyways.
What lag??
Yeah. Lag is so rare in Smash for me.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.1.2 is now out.

Download: http://cemu.info/index.html#download

- Added controller options
- Added support for OSCoroutine API
- Improved shader emulation
- Improved texture/depth/color buffer management
- Improved CPU timing and thread synchronization
- Synchronous file operations no longer block CPU execution (reduces frame stutter)

Game updates:

- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Darksiders II
- Mario Kart 8 (1)
- Mario Kart 8 (2)
- Splatoon (1)
- Splatoon (2)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

FyreWulff

The Gamepad uses technology that was only finalized for general use a mere 2 months before the Wii U came out, and also uses 5GHz N to communicate with the Gamepad, which is a wireless mode the PS4 doesn't even support. Hell, barely anything has support for 5GHz N because of it's relative newness.

woen

I would love to see MK8 running at a better resolution...on 21:9 even maybe. Let's hope at the end of next year it'll be playable!

I really hope they drop PowerPC with NX.
At this point it's doing more harm than good

PowerPC is very efficient. I'm sure they'll drop it so they could offer a more "common" architecture and give devs easier tools to develop with but it makes me sad.

I love PowerPC... when Apple dropped PowerPC for Intel, problems started to come :'(

nampad

Chû Totoro;189768947 said:
PowerPC is very efficient. I'm sure they'll drop it so they could offer a more "common" architecture and give devs easier tools to develop with but it makes me sad.

I love PowerPC... when Apple dropped PowerPC for Intel, problems started to come :'(

Apple dropped PowerPC for a good reason. IBM couldn't deliver good CPUs for their notebooks anymore.

Locuza

Chû Totoro;189768947 said:
PowerPC is very efficient.I'm sure they'll drop it so they could offer a more "common" architecture and give devs easier tools to develop with but it makes me sad.
Why?
Which problems?

AmFreak

That, but more likely none of the chip companies have been able to beat Intel for years.

Apple announced their switch in 2005, at a time when intel basically got beaten by everyone. They switched with the core duo the first architecture after the p4 disaster.

I know these things are extremely difficult but I couldn't help laugh at that video description:

Mario Kart is practically playable now if you can ignore graphics glitches and slow framerate

Um, no?

video has been sped up nearly 10x speed

Yeah... no.

Still excited to see the progress they make.

T.E.D

Banned
Looking at how quickly this is making progress, it's crazy to think that The Legend of Zelda U could release on Wii U and PC simultaneously.....

Top Bottom