• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U in 2020

I never really asked or checked that been so long, I just loved XCX so much that I miss my 2,000+ hour save file

If you still have the system you can back up any save files after you hack it. I've done it with all my save files and it's nice for peace of mind. (Losing my Rock Band save file is why I hated the PS3.) Once backed up they can be restored to ANY Wii U.

Love reading through this thread, agree with all the Wii U love. Once you add homebrew it's a fantastic multi-system machine. The gamepad, which was originally viewed as the problem child, becomes essential.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah maybe Ill have to see, but I mostly have all the games I want already.. and I dont much like the gamepad as a controller and have no controller pro :(.

Banned
Yeah maybe Ill have to see, but I mostly have all the games I want already.. and I dont much like the gamepad as a controller and have no controller pro :(.

the gamepad is a great controller tho. AND it has by far the best Nintendo D-Pad of any console they made in the last 2 decades... it doesn't register mis-presses and it feels good.
the Wii U pro controller D-Pad is okay I guess but it is way too flat (doesn't stick out of the case enough) and it can have issues in some directions.

If you still have the system you can back up any save files after you hack it. I've done it with all my save files and it's nice for peace of mind. (Losing my Rock Band save file is why I hated the PS3.) Once backed up they can be restored to ANY Wii U.

Love reading through this thread, agree with all the Wii U love. Once you add homebrew it's a fantastic multi-system machine. The gamepad, which was originally viewed as the problem child, becomes essential.

How do you do the save file backup?

Mine's hooked up and I started playing through Xenbolade Chronicles X for the first time. Good stuff. I read up on it and it sure as hell isn't getting a switch port, the devs said it was way too much work to port over. They really squeezed the shit out of wiiU hardware so it's really coded to the metal as it were. They'd have to do a whole rewrite. Xenoblade Chronicles port for the 3DS didn't really sell too well and they are only bringing it to switch due to the sequel being on there as well.

Last edited:
Is there still a market for these things?
Got my Wii U sealed, day 1 launch system (White) IF I want to get rid of it? Or it's one of those the longer I keep the more value increases?

sn0man

I really loved the wii u, it pissed me off they started from scratch with the virtual console rather than build on what they had from the wii, but there is some great games zombi u, is pretty cool and although it got ported to ps4 etc, I like the gimmick of looking through your items in your backpack on the controller screen, whilst zombies might be coming towards you so you need to keep an eye on the TV screen at some time 😊

Great shot call on that game! ZombieU is wonderful use of the gamepad. The tension and fear that splitting your attention between the action and inventor is fun.

Nintendoland, ZombieU, Pikmin3 all really fun with the gamepad. Shame there were no RTS type games like advance wars where you could hide your moves via the screen.

The Wii U is the perfect Nintendo console to be able to enjoy every Nintendo game made up to that point. You got your emulators, backwards compatible with the original Wii, and the ability to play GameCube games. I do t regret purchasing one at all.

It is really the ultimate Nintendo machine when you think about it. It was easy to shit on back then but when you look at it today, and for bow cheap you can find one, it is killer if you are down with Nintendo.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Outside the Mario game you picked up (great game) most of the games the system had can be played on the Switch so I can't really recommend anything. BTW mod your Wii U to get more juice out of it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'm not big on posting threads, but i picked up one yesterday and thought it would be good to get one going. So, yesterday i did some trading and picked up a Black Wii U 32Gb with a pro controller and three games: Super Mario 3d world, Sonic Transformed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Lego Dimensions, and Lego City Undercover. I've got a list created of more games I want to pick up, as well as some modding to be able to play Gamecube games and run some emulation. I bought one back when the Wii U first came out and enjoyed it but the slow release of games and the excitement from the soon to launch PS4 caused me to trade it in on a PS4 when it released. So there are a lot of games that i missed and want to play. Plus there are some great games for my kids to enjoy. In fact, my son's eyes went wide when he saw the Lego Dimensions box and was really excited about me hooking it up. So what's everyone's thoughts on the Wii U in 2020? Any good (or bad) memories? Favorite game you love from this system?
For me it is a console misunderstood by people, I feel it is a good console that has a power similar to PS3 and 360, but the lack of support was that it gave the decline and ignorance of people.

I recommend the fatal frame games, I will still get a WIIU in the future because its cost was too much for me at the time.

Cravis

It has the best looking console version of Need for Speed Most Wanted. It uses the higher resolution textures from the PC version and a revamped lighting system.

Max_Po

Banned
It has the best looking console version of Need for Speed Most Wanted. It uses the higher resolution textures from the PC version and a revamped lighting system.

The only Most wanted worth playing was release in 2005, and I have it on Xbox360.

I agree, but Cemu is not for novices. You have the patience to tweak it.

It's easily the best experience for Breath of the Wild, but right now I can't get Twilight Princess running and Windwaker crashes. I've tried everything. Cemu is a great experience when it works.
Cemu is quite easy. You just have to tweak it and that's quite easy, plenty of tutorials and wikis available on the internet.
I think pcsx2 is more complicated. Almost every game needs different settings.

HotPocket69

Banned
3D World, Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze

The ultimate gaming trifecta for that system

Wind Waker HD and Bayo 2 up there too

Great system. Nintendo Dreamcast.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Devil's Third is one of my favourite games, Metal Gear Solid over the top terrorists and a badass hero.

OPDLVqF.gif

Pikmin 3, of course (as well as Pikmin 1&2 New Play Control on vWii).

You can also play some Nintendo DS jewels on WiiU, the VC emulator is pretty good. And the WiiU gamepad is basically the best device ever done to emulate Nintendo DS.
I didn't care what people thought of Devil's Third. It was over the top, absolutely bat shit crazy and I didn't care because I thought it was great. I still had a lot of fun with Devil's Third.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Loved the games and the hacking possibilities. But the thought of actually booting up the system and picking up the Gamepad again keeps me from using it as mich as it’d deserve.

WiiU isn’t a brilliant console, but it more than made up for it with its games.
And yeah, the Bayonetta 2 exclusivity reaction was worth everything wrong with the system, LOL. The salt was real.

Shaqazooloo

Smash bros machine, once I got mods working it was the only thing I was using it for. 4xM made the system worth it. If theirs one good thing I can say about the Wii U it's that it helped me fall in love with Melee again. Outside of that and a few good games (that don't matter now since they've been ported to Switch) it's pretty bad in my opinion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cemu is quite easy. You just have to tweak it and that's quite easy, plenty of tutorials and wikis available on the internet.
I think pcsx2 is more complicated. Almost every game needs different settings.
No dude. It's a pain in the ass. Yes there are tutorials, but there can still be a ton of complications even for advanced users. Many games will not work for reasons that the user can't figure out.
Like I said, I can't get Twilight Princess to load and I follow every setting on the wiki page. It just crashes before it gets to the start menu. Breath of the Wild runs great, but I was hoping to play some other games.

Literally the only problem with Midna is that Link doesn't drop his ugly as fuck girlfriend and move to the Twilight realm to bone the real Midna 24/7.

Had to Google her true form. So that's why she's such an annoying bitch, she has the looks to back it up.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I recently hooked up Cemu on my laptop and I'm having a blast - some absolutely wonderful games to be had.

Gargus

Banned
I wouodnt bother with it really. Nintendo will just re release Wii u games on the switch. They do nothing very original and almost all of their first party games on the switch are just wiiu ports and that trend will continue.

I mean wiiu had a couple good non nintendo games but not enough to make it worth buying a system for.

If you mod the WIIU it's worth it. Honestly the best games on switch are on wiiu as well, if you are not into portable gaming you ain't missing out on much.

I recently picked on up again to play Xenoblade. Got it for 80 bucks and the game for 15. Got a second Wii U for free from a local fb group but missing the gamepad. I forgot how backwards Nintendo was with accounts back then. I had to call them and go thru a bunch of steps to get my account pulled off my old Wii U and put on this one. They are even asking me to name things I purchased back then. Eventually I got it done.

2 THOUSAND hours in XCX! Now that's something.
I got addicted to the leaderboard.

there was a few cheesy things you could do like how many times you jumped or died I would just leave the game on a lot to get top 10 ten on most of that

also trying to 100% it but there were a few late game bosses I could not take down

Last edited:

Rim

I would buy one, but second hand are very expensive.
I think the nintendo store almost makes it worth the buy.

SpiceRacz

I picked up a modded Wii U yesterday. It included an external hard drive with a bunch of games. Need to add XCX, Wooly World, and a few others I missed out on. This is my 5th Wii U and definitely the last time I buy one.

Sleepydays

Banned
I pulled mine out of storage and modded it yesterday. Looking forward to digging into 3D World, Windwaker HD and (with lower expectations) Starfox.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I like Wii U, was happy with it and just think it got a bad response from the gaming community.

SpiceRacz

thats a steal a modded one on ebay can sell for 200$ with games. gamepad included of course right?

Yep gamepad included. They usually go for 100 - 150 around my area. I had been planning on modding one for a while now, but this was a great deal and the work is already done.

Top Bottom