• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

VAIL

mysticstylez said:
Wii can sell as many consoles as it wants, but until major 3rd party companies start making games for Wii first and other consoles next their sales won't mean shit. Sure Nintendo is making a shitload of money but their sales aren't taking away any key games from 360 or PS3 any time soon.
116mjq1.gif

evilone

EA Employee
neptunes said:
why is the highest selling PS3 game only 224k? According to the amount of people that bought PS3's (December, January, Feburary?) what are they doing?

Watching Blu-ray movies and not buying games because the media says the PS3 has no games.

andthebeatgoeson

Elios83 said:
Well Nintendo wiped away the competion in such a ridicolous way that there are no words although I believe they're winning their own race, a competition with a bigger reward maybe but still a different field in fact there is no impact on PS360 which follow their own path.
I was a bit surprised to see both PS3 and 360 sales going down in weekly sales compared to February in fact I expected both platforms to sell over 300k because of the 5 weeks month which means that my prediction sucked :lol :lol At least GOW and Crisis Core did well.
Next month will be more interesting with GTA4 and GT5P to fire numbers of non Nintendo platforms.
I don't agree. If the 360 was following it's own path, it should be the leader. PS2 type of leader. It's in it's 3rd year and it's only averaging around 200-300 K per month. That's not leader qualities. So, I would say the Wii is impacting it. Or the market rapidly shrunk from last generation. You can't say Wii is in a different market. MS believed it to a fault but it's not true. The market is expanding but only by the Wii. All other markets are shrinking.

fse

DCharlie said:
why will it be maybe even though?

it's trending at best on a level with the X360 and it's millions behind.

It would take a massive reversal of fortunes and i just don't see that happening.

100k+ a month outsell.

well, with the X360 only 6 million ahead , it's only going to take another 5 years or so to draw level?

hehe

neptunes

mysticstylez said:
Wii can sell as many consoles as it wants, but until major 3rd party companies start making games for Wii first and other consoles next their sales won't mean shit. Sure Nintendo is making a shitload of money but their sales aren't taking away any key games from 360 or PS3 any time soon.
ahh put a sock in it

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Talamius said:
Microsoft needs to do something to differentiate the 360. Right now the public seems to consider them HD shooterbox brand A and HD shooterbox brand B. They're leeching off each other's sales.

That is true, but they need to be more proactive about their console, not just to being happy with trading punches with the PS3. As DCharlie said, both of these are poor, but they have their own reasons. However, with a price cut, Microsoft can create separation. I've talked up a price cut a lot because we all know they need it, but it would be such a boost to them to do so. People want GTA and a $200 difference between lowest entries would be a big help for the 360.

Banned
Wii can sell as many consoles as it wants, but until major 3rd party companies start making games for Wii first and other consoles next their sales won't mean shit. Sure Nintendo is making a shitload of money but their sales aren't taking away any key games from 360 or PS3 any time soon..
How would you know if the Wii isn't taking resources.

ghostlyjoe said:
The Wii is winning because it's the right product at the right time. It didn't overshoot the market, and it favored function and design over technology. It also comes packed in with one of the best and most unique pieces of software this gen. Its entertainment value is unmatched in what is an entertainment (not technology) market.
Someone give this man a medal!

mysticstylez said:
It's still good for the industry because developers can use money made off of Wii to fund HD games for PS360 :D .

Nutter said:
Well Smash just earned it self the third highest opening for a console game behind Halo 2, and Halo 3.
GTA I reckon might still beat that number too. I predict 1.9 million on 360 and 1 million on PS3.

i just think people underestimate how popular smash had gotten by the end of last gen.

Nutter said:
Well Smash just earned it self the third highest opening for a console game behind Halo 2, and Halo 3.
GTA I reckon might still beat that number too. I predict 1.9 million on 360 and 1 million on PS3.

Your predictions are going to extremely low.

AniHawk

Yes Boss! said:
wow, just wow.

I don't see what's wrong with that statement. A lot of third parties, especially western third parties, simply despise the Wii. Things aren't going to change. SE, Capcom and Sega might be on board (and SE is pretty iffy), but there isn't a lot of love coming from anyone else. At least the DS has awesome 2D games and revivals and continuations of old franchises (in 2D).

mysticstylez said:

The wii is a fad too right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DKnight said:
No, what I mean is that the value (for average joe) is pretty low when you compare it with the other two. It goes to show how marketing is everything I guess.

Basically your post boils down to "I'm the ultimate arbiter of what's worth it and what isn't, and if anyone disagrees it's because they've been brainwashed into thinking differently, not because there are perfectly valid reasons to hold an opinion different than mine".

Yes Boss! said:
wow, just wow.

It's true, besides MH3 coming to Wii what other major 3rd party games has the Wii taken away from the PS3 of 360? When a console sells 3/4's of a million consoles in March, and it still isn't stealing exclusives, then it's outrageous sales aren't going to effect MS or Sony.

If you round up Wii's US LTD (9M) and Brawl's LTD (3M)...
One out of three Wii owners bought Brawl last month. Quite impressive for a "fad" and Wii Sports player :lol

HokieJoe

Xisiqomelir said:
Oh god the beastliness :eek:

The HD console slapfest/retard olympics is also highly entertaining.

I'll happily continue enoying my "HD console slapfest/retard" olympics experiece. Have fun with those trailer park graphics.

MisterHero

MWS Natural said:
It's still good for the industry because developers can use money made off of Wii to fund HD games for PS360 :D .
Heh as it stands none of my money will be funding Rockband 2. :lol

I thought I was being a rebel by actually buying CC for PSP. Good to see more PSP owners getting with the program.

360 software is amazing, Army of Two didn't even register on my radar but it sure as hell did for many other 360 owners.

Did just buy COD4 (+1 for next month), game has legs.

arne

AniHawk said:
...Worldwide, but stateside it was between 4 and 5m. CoD4 has been catching up. Across all versions, I believe it has already outsold Halo 3.

This is a very late reply given the celerity of which this thread has been increasing in post-count, but I can tell you going from inside a first party and seeing their projected sales numbers LTD and then going to a third party with multiplatform releases and seeing their projected LTD sales totally BLEW MY MIND. Even for non-high demand franchises or titles.

indie85

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
wow, just wow.
What? Its the truth. Outside of Nintendo games, you're never gonna get new iterations of any of the big franchises EVER, so long as nintendo keeps bringing out shitty hardware.

Christine

Goddamn it's looking as if the entire 'HD Generation' selling point was a mistake. I know the enthusiast upmarket values it extremely highly, but it appears that they are vastly outnumbered by consumers who just don't give a shit. Telling people that the graphics were great didn't register with the mass market because they had already been told that their 6th generation consoles had great graphics and they were satisfied.

The statements that people make on message boards about their motives don't even necessarily correspond with their own real behavior, nor that of the millions who don't care enough to read a gaming message board, let alone post in one.

No matter how much people appreciate the enhanced performance, features and resolution of the HD consoles, their aggregate behavior suggests that they are not buying these consoles because of their superior graphics and support for HD resolutions. No, they are buying them in spite of their superior graphics and support for HD in order to access their software libraries.

In short, people aren't nearly as interested in upgrading their TV game system as they are in buying currently published software, specifically "system sellers". Xbox 360 and PS3 both have these kinds of titles, but they have to work harder to justify higher system prices than they did last generation. And that is part of why the HD consoles have had such a hard time building and increasing their momentum in this generation.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DCharlie said:
i totally agree - the X360 numbers are turgid too , but the fact that the two are trending in line again means that gap isn't going to close any time soon.

It's so weird to have you back.

I lurrrrrv you!

StevieP

Banned
indie85 said:
What? Its the truth. Outside of Nintendo games, you're never gonna get new iterations of any of the big franchises EVER, so long as nintendo keeps bringing out shitty hardware.

You didn't buy the Gamecube. It's all your fault. Repent!

Arde5643

Interesting how a lot of GAFfers who never frequent sales-age threads seem to be very defensive about Wii selling so much.

I wonder, wonder, oh I wonder why.

mysticstylez said:

Was Dragon Quest going to the DS forgotten already?

Mato

mysticstylez said:
It's true, besides MH3 coming to Wii what other major 3rd party games has the Wii taken away from the PS3 of 360? When a console sells 3/4's of a million consoles in March, and it still isn't stealing exclusives, then it's outrageous sales aren't going to effect MS or Sony.

Honestly you're missing the point. Nintendo is still getting a huge chunk of marketshare previously owned by Sony (and some MS). Might not be of massive interest to consumers but whatever.

By the time Killzone 2 and Home are out, the xbox360 will look like another last gen console.

In total the, sony brand, psp+ps2+ps3 are taking up (oops)ish% of the march npd (770k).

Top Bottom