• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2018

Virex

Banned
I only asked because thelastword thelastword seemed to indicate that he knew the numbers by saying they didn’t even surpass one million. Which would be an honest surprise considering the player count. Nonetheless the game appears to be successful which is good, pirate genre is often under utilized in the multiplayer market.

I agree! I am so far behind the Yakuza series, it’s one of the reasons I’m planning on getting a PS4Pro(that and HZD) I haven’t played Yakuza since it’s introduction of 1 & 2 on the PS2 and I enjoyed both games greatly. So it’s awesome that the series has been successful.
If you have a PS3 I highly recommend getting 3,4 and 5. I also enjoyed Dead Souls for what it was. And when you get a PS4 you can look forward to play Yakuza 0, Kiwami(remake of 1) and Song of Life and in August Kiwami 2(remake of 2). And it was announced in Japan that 3,4 and 5 are getting remasters for PS4 also. Good time to be a Yakuza fan.

demigod

Sea of Thieves outsold MLB the Show on a revenue base last month.
MLB the Show has several high priced SKUs unlike Sea of Thieves.
MLB the Show had a record launch for the series

Sea of Thieves did extremely well.

Not sure why you guys keep saying the game is a success or did extremely well when the sales were frontloaded. I highly doubt its made back the money it took to develop the game. Sea of Thieves has no legs. MLB on the other hand maintained its #3 position in April while Sea of Thieves dropped to #18. Again, MLB is #8 year to date on NPD, Sea of Thieves is not even in top 10.

Not sure why you guys keep saying the game is a success or did extremely well when the sales were frontloaded. I highly doubt its made back the money it took to develop the game. Sea of Thieves has no legs. MLB on the other hand maintained its #3 position in April while Sea of Thieves dropped to #18. Again, MLB is #8 year to date on NPD, Sea of Thieves is not even in top 10.
The top 20 beside #1 and #2 is not that far apart.
Sea of Thieves is still the third best selling game on Xbox One in April ahead of CoD: WWII and GTAV.

WaterAstro

Sea of Thieves is still the third best selling game on Xbox One in April ahead of CoD: WWII and GTAV.
#1 and #2 can be far apart unless you provide the exact sales number.
And being ahead of a half year old game and a FOUR and a half year old game isn't something to be happy about.

demigod

Third best selling doesn’t mean much when their #2 is hitting #11 in overall rankings not counting PC. FFS it sold less than Yakuza not counting digital. Face it, the game has not sold 1mil yet and far from a success. Maybe someone should ask Mr. Greenberg.

Pallas

#1 and #2 can be far apart unless you provide the exact sales number.
And being ahead of a half year old game and a FOUR and a half year old game isn't something to be happy about.

Normally you’d be correct but considering the games you listed I think it’s a nice achievement. GTA5 and CoDWWII have been in the top 20 for the last two months and probably much more. GTA5 in particular, the game keeps selling, when you thought everyone that wanted the game has a copy, it continues selling.

Look I’m not saying Sea of Thieves is the greatest game ever, far from it but considering how many players it has, I call it successful. Long term, that’ll be up to Rare, if they can keep the content flowing and make it interesting.

If you have a PS3 I highly recommend getting 3,4 and 5. I also enjoyed Dead Souls for what it was. And when you get a PS4 you can look forward to play Yakuza 0, Kiwami(remake of 1) and Song of Life and in August Kiwami 2(remake of 2). And it was announced in Japan that 3,4 and 5 are getting remasters for PS4 also. Good time to be a Yakuza fan.

I may just pray and hope the remasters of 3-5 get localized(they honestly should) and play them all on the PS4, I want a new PS3 as well but I’m going to wait and see if I can fine a launch model with the PS2 hardware for a reasonable price. As for Dead Souls, don’t shoot me but I haven’t heard of that one. Is that a spin off?

WaterAstro

Normally you’d be correct but considering the games you listed I think it’s a nice achievement. GTA5 and CoDWWII have been in the top 20 for the last two months and probably much more. GTA5 in particular, the game keeps selling, when you thought everyone that wanted the game has a copy, it continues selling.

Look I’m not saying Sea of Thieves is the greatest game ever, far from it but considering how many players it has, I call it successful. Long term, that’ll be up to Rare, if they can keep the content flowing and make it interesting.
Sure, but there's no way that CODWW2 or GTAV are selling even a hundred thousand after that long being out. Without actuals, there is no way to tell how much SoT sold, and nothing on that chart proves anything in terms of actual sales.

Gander

Banned
I just don't get the appeal of Labo. For the things it does it seems like you want to get other things to do those things.

I would. They spent many years of an expensive first party dev house to make a dud that has dropped off the sales lists and twitch in just a few weeks. They probably would have been better off making it F2P with cosmetic loot crates or just let it bake a bit more so it was not so content light.

Again all you say has nothing to do with if SoT was a success or not. You're making assumptions on this matter. If they sold 1 million they'd have considered this a success already.

It's evident that MS didn't invest as much money into this game as other first party titles. Roughly 200 employees? An almost non existant marketing scheme (compared to other first parties)? On game pass from launch? Yeah I don't think MS was expecting 5 million, this isnt God of War

Again I'm not saying this was a HUGE success. But this is definitely a hit IP that MS now would be happy to have in its roster. A SOT 2 with ACTUALY content most likley move numbers

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
The bolded is the only part that caught my eye in your long post. Do you have actual numbers? I’m not calling you a liar but Sea of Thieves was #2 in NPD sales in March. I’d imagine they were ATLEAST over a million.
It's not hard to understand, the 2 million figure MS gave is not SOT sales, it's number of players, that's an entirely different statistic to the NPD. With the way MS is reporting game perfromance now, there can be a lot of players who tried SOT through gamepass...

Through, the 14 day trial
Through subbing at 10/month or $120 per year
Through deals already available, like getting 1 month of gamepass for just $1 recently. So 30 days for $1
or buying the game at $60.00

The game is crossplay, you can play on PC and XBOX with two seperate logins, or you can play on two xboxes. You can also share your account with your whole neighborhood or gaming group or circle if you so desire. In essence, there are many ways to prop up the number of persons who played SOT because of said reasons+gamepass et al....

As for what you asked, SOT was #2 in revenue in March, just ahead of the Show, whilst the show is still up there and SOT sunk. BTW, the show did not sell a million copies in March. If SOT had over 1 or close to 2 million sales at $60.00, it would have easily beaten Farcry on the XBOX only list........Where Farcry is still #1 and SOT #2 for March. Farcry was available from the 27th whilst SOT was available from the 20th. Looking at how much more volume multiplats sell on PS4 over XBOX traditionally, it's easy to realize that Farcry did not sell a million on XBOX alone in those few days....So if Farcry5 did not sell a mil on XBOX and it's #1 on XBOX, how could SOT which is number 2 on an XBOX only list be doing 1+ million or 2? Of course FC5 was number 1 in march overall, because it's PS4+XBOX sales combined innit?

Yet, here's the clincher....

Mat-Picatella-NPD GROUP said:
Quick FYI, found out Sea of Thieves sales actually do include digital PC on the Windows X store. Play Anywhere titles aggregate under Xbox One platform.
So with Windows+XBOX as oen platform, SOT was still behind Farcry, and Farcry did not do 1 million on XBOX alone for March NPD...... So yes, to suggest SOT did 1 million+ or 2 is simply no bueno.......

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I just don't get the appeal of Labo. For the things it does it seems like you want to get other things to do those things.
Labo is a bit skewed in this chart. The ranking is based on revenue, and since Labo is expensive with its base price for that version, it could mean it sold less copies than #5 and #6, but made more money.

Pallas

It's not hard to understand, the 2 million figure MS gave is not SOT sales, it's number of players, that's an entirely different statistic to the NPD. With the way MS is reporting game perfromance now, there can be a lot of players who tried SOT through gamepass...

Through, the 14 day trial
Through subbing at 10/month or $120 per year
Through deals already available, like getting 1 month of gamepass for just $1 recently. So 30 days for $1
or buying the game at $60.00

The game is crossplay, you can play on PC and XBOX with two seperate logins, or you can play on two xboxes. You can also share your account with your whole neighborhood or gaming group or circle if you so desire. In essence, there are many ways to prop up the number of persons who played SOT because of said reasons+gamepass et al....

As for what you asked, SOT was #2 in revenue in March, just ahead of the Show, whilst the show is still up there and SOT sunk. BTW, the show did not sell a million copies in March. If SOT had over 1 or close to 2 million sales at $60.00, it would have easily beaten Farcry on the XBOX only list........Where Farcry is still #1 and SOT #2 for March. Farcry was available from the 27th whilst SOT was available from the 20th. Looking at how much more volume multiplats sell on PS4 over XBOX traditionally, it's easy to realize that Farcry did not sell a million on XBOX alone in those few days....So if Farcry5 did not sell a mil on XBOX and it's #1 on XBOX, how could SOT which is number 2 on an XBOX only list be doing 1+ million or 2? Of course FC5 was number 1 in march overall, because it's PS4+XBOX sales combined innit?

Yet, here's the clincher....

So with Windows+XBOX as oen platform, SOT was still behind Farcry, and Farcry did not do 1 million on XBOX alone for March NPD...... So yes, to suggest SOT did 1 million+ or 2 is simply no bueno.......

That still doesn’t tell me why you assume the total number of units sold(physical & digital) were below one million. It’s all conjecture and your opinion. What you’ve said is based on facts? Only your assumption and hunch.

Do you know how many copies of Far Cry sold on the Xbox?

We can continue this circular arguing, so we can simply agree to disagree about your hypothesis and vice versa with my own assumption. The game being console exclusive made it impressive that it hit even the top 10 on its release.

demigod

By your theory Sea of Thieves was a momentual disaster and the 2million+ players are bots made my Microsoft to make the game appear successful( exaggerating but so are you)

Not sure why you keep reiterating the 2mil copies sold when you were proven wrong.

thelastword

Banned
That still doesn’t tell me why you assume the total number of units sold(physical & digital) were below one million. It’s all conjecture and your opinion. What you’ve said is based on facts? Only your assumption and hunch.

Do you know how many copies of Far Cry sold on the Xbox?

We can continue this circular arguing, so we can simply agree to disagree about your hypothesis and vice versa with my own assumption. The game being console exclusive made it impressive that it hit even the top 10 on its release.
If you have been following sales this gen, you would follow what I said. After 1 week of sales, Ubisoft said they pulled in 310M in revenue for Farcry 5, so if we do some quick math, we can assume that is just over or about 5 million in sales. That's worldwide across all platforms including PC btw. SO if you think SOT did over a million copies or close to 2 million, then you're saying that, Farcry did 2.5-3 million on XBOX alone in NA, that's impossible.

So lets get this, your scenario is something like this;

Farcry XBOX-ONE=2.5 million, Farcry PS4=4 million, Farcry PC=3 Million....That's impossible

That's already 9.5 million and we know Ubisoft didn't get close to such figures worldwide, farless in the US alone. So if you shoot SOT numbers up, I have to shoot FC5 numbers on XBOX ONE and all other platforms too..which happen to do bigger numbers than XBOX.

SOT on XBOX/Windows = 1.5-2 million

Only way to make your SOT numbers kosher, since it's second on the XBOX list.....so it's basically a pipe dream.

Pallas

Not sure why you keep reiterating the 2mil copies sold when you were proven wrong.

Pretty sure I dropped that claim with my other post when I said sites had conflicting reports, we would just leave it at that. I’m not sure why you continue to dog on a game that is successful, though. Your animosity is obvious to anyone watching this thread. I think when a game is successful regardless of platforms it’s always a great thing. I really do not want to get bogged down in fanboy/console warrior bullshit though if that’s where you are coming from, if not then that doesn’t apply to you.

If you have been following sales this gen, you would follow what I said. After 1 week of sales, Ubisoft said they pulled in 310M in revenue for Farcry 5, so if we do some quick math, we can assume that is just over or about 5 million in sales. That's worldwide across all platforms including PC btw. SO if you think SOT did over a million copies or close to 2 million, then you're saying that, Farcry did 2.5-3 million on XBOX alone in NA, that's impossible.

So lets get this, your scenario is something like this;

Farcry XBOX-ONE=2.5 million, Farcry PS4=4 million, Farcry PC=3 Million....That's impossible

That's already 9.5 million and we know Ubisoft didn't get close to such figures worldwide, farless in the US alone. So if you shoot SOT numbers up, I have to shoot FC5 numbers on XBOX ONE and all other platforms too..which happen to do bigger numbers than XBOX.

SOT on XBOX/Windows = 1.5-2 million

Only way to make your SOT numbers kosher, since it's second on the XBOX list.....so it's basically a pipe dream.

That wasn’t my scenario and nor did I claim to assume Far Cry 5 sold x amount on the Xbox One. All I asked if you could provide some official word on it. I’m not trying to argue about it. If you can’t, you can’t math aside and no I don’t frequently follow sales of games, I prefer to play them. It’s much more interesting but something about the under dog console(Xbox One) in this case having a successful launch of an interesting and unique IP peeked my interest in the NPD.

Vawn

Banned
Weird, strolling through the comments I would have thought this thread was "Sea of Thieves sucked and sold poorly. No it didn't and it sold great".

On topic, good to see GoW dominating. That game exceeded my expectations completely and is my GOTY frontrunner.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned

I may just pray and hope the remasters of 3-5 get localized(they honestly should) and play them all on the PS4, I want a new PS3 as well but I’m going to wait and see if I can fine a launch model with the PS2 hardware for a reasonable price. As for Dead Souls, don’t shoot me but I haven’t heard of that one. Is that a spin off?
Yup Dead Souls is a spin-off. It's Yakuza with zombies. So you can't compare it to the main serious and the story is a joke. But I had so much fun with it. I'm praying 3,4 and 5 get's localized and with physical copies. Still kills me that I don't have a physical copy of Yakuza 5 in my collection

Top Bottom