• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Binabik15

DR2K said:
I just pressed select and switched the flight controls to normal. Worked much better.

I did that as well, but that section wasn´t really fun. Reminded me of an old Star Wars game where you switched from cover shooting to flying the Millenium falcon through a tunnel in the first few levels. I loved the game, but I could get through that damn tunnel maybe thrice as a kid :lol

Can´t wait for the rest of GoW 3, the others had sooo many mind-blowing moments and beautiful locations.

Binabik15 said:
I did that as well, but that section wasn´t really fun. Reminded me of an old Star Wars game where you switched from cover shooting to flying the Millenium falcon through a tunnel in the first few levels. I loved the game, but I could get through that damn tunnel maybe thrice as a kid :lol

Can´t wait for the rest of GoW 3, the others had sooo many mind-blowing moments and beautiful locations.

you mean something like this?

Super return of the jedi

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hoooolly shit :lol Had such a huge grin finishing this.

That's an uncharted2 style holy shit!

I loved it. Amazing. EP-ic. Icarus vent was :eek:

Great variety of gameplay. Great combat. Graphics that range from great to holy shit (e.g. the vent..that was indeed 'painterly' twixt the lighting and the post-processing etc.). Nice little touches too (e.g.
civilian's hiding behind barrels etc. :D

My only complaints - recommend x and r1 for gliding controls rather than x x x.

Also: maybe keep blood around longer?

And: maybe have water react a bit better when walking through it?

Otherwise: <3

edit - Also, is there no way to save the dude
on the ledge
or is that just totally not Kratos' style? I figured I was going to save him, and then..bam.. :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've been shooting the catapult thingy'ma'jiggy at the big dude for like 5 minutes now, am I missing something completely obvious ?

EDIT -

Done it !!

<slaps forehead>

Binabik15

The Bookerman said:
you mean something like this?

Super return of the jedi
This. I actually remembered the name :D I think I was playing with a non-optical mouse, but that damn level frustrated me sooo much. The second time I got through it I finished the rest of the game in one sitting :lol

The first two levels (and the rest, but I only could see that once :lol ) kept me playing for hours. Cover based shooting in 1996, bitches!

Edit: JonnyBrad is right, he beat me to it because I had to watch a few vids of the game :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lowrider007 said:
I've been shooting the catapult thingy'ma'jiggy at the big dude for like 5 minutes now, am I missing something completely obvious ?

I got it on my first shot. I think I was lucky. Read the spoiler if you want to know how to do that:

Think you have to hit the chariot thing...not the monster dude...chariot then spins into the big dude and..well..it goes from there

Binabik15 said:
This. I actually remembered the name :D I think I was playing with a non-optical mouse, but that damn level frustrated me sooo much. The second time I got through it I finished the rest of the game in one sitting :lol

The first two levels (and the rest, but I only could see that once :lol ) kept me playing for hours. Cover based shooting in 1996, bitches!

Edit: JonnyBrad is right, he beat me to it because I had to watch a few vids of the game :D

I played it on the PSX... I don't remember having that hard of a time.

Interesting game. But the Super Return of the jedi thing was Horrendously bad.

if you use the ram/grab thing on a guy and then hit a wall, Kratos will break his neck and then throw his head into the ground.

fffffffffuuuuuuu-

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, very good job with those shots MazingerDUDE. They actually look like what I see on screen, whereas a lot of captures you see end up being a bit washed out. What hardware did you use to get those?

bjaelke

MazingerDUDE said:
GOW3_01.jpg
His (wing) shadow looks wrong.

Danielsan

Just played the demo.
I'm kinda underwhelmed to be honest.
The graphics look great. It's no Uncharted 2 but it looks fantastic.
It's just that the combat and the controls really bum me out.
I never feel in control of a fight and nothing really feels responsive.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just completed the demo, lovely GFX's, especially the lighting in the caves when your fighting enemies.

I'm not very good @ games like this normally as I find it hard to get to grips with the controls, the whole 'press L1 and L2 to do 'this' and R1 and R2 and 'that' etc etc is quite hard for me to do on the fly, I'm hoping that with practice I'll be good enough to play through the game on normal, also the camera engles were a bit odd sometimes, I couldn't help moving my right analogue stick a few times thinking I could move the camera to a better position, other than though the actual experience I got in the demo was great, the combination of the great music while gruesomely taking hordes of enemies down definitely gives you a great feeling of satisfaction.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lowrider007 said:
Just completed the demo, lovely GFX's, especially the lighting in the caves when your fighting enemies.

I'm not very good @ games like this normally as I find it hard to get to grips with the controls, the whole 'press L1 and L2 to do 'this' and R1 and R2 and 'that' etc etc is quite hard for me to do on the fly, I'm hoping that with practice I'll be good enough to play through the game on normal, also the camera engles were a bit odd sometimes, I couldn't help moving my right analogue stick a few times thinking I could move the camera to a better position

Yeah, that's one other improvement I'd love...maybe it's just from playing UC2, but I think all games (and particularly all good looking ones) should give you cam control on the right stick. Found myself nudging it around too.

rhino4evr

my opinion. The demo played just like God of War...which is a good and bad thing. Besides the updated graphics (which were not on the level of Uncharted 2)..I'm not seeing a whole lot of innovation here. Which is fine I guess, but for some reason I'm expecting something new this time around. I'm sure ill enjoy the full game, but the demo kind of felt like been there done that.

also i had no problems with the flight section, even though I did notice the controls were a little stiff.

Lyonaz

I played this a bit at Gamescom Cologne, but playing the demo at home is so much better.

I love how brutal Kratos is, the way he rips and shreds his foes is just fuck awesome!:D

And holy shit at the lighting bit after you ripped off Helios head and go into the dark passage.

Sooo Good!

Denzar

My god. Impressed, seriously. I am rarely impressed by screenshots, because like 99% of them are bullshots (even for amazing looking games like Uncharted 2) but these are pure, straight from the game shots and wow... just wow.

And I wouldn't worry about the framerate too much for now. Both previous GoW games had rock solid framerates, and this is still a pretty early demo.

Also, something tells me that the stuff that happens in the demo is small time compared to other stuff that we will see in the final product. OH DAMN

What's the size of the demo btw? 2 Gigs? Cause in my shitty country there still is a limit to downloading...

Danielsan

Deepack said:
My god. Impressed, seriously. I am rarely impressed by screenshots, because like 99% of them are bullshots (even for amazing looking games like Uncharted 2) but these are pure, straight from the game shots and wow... just wow.

And I wouldn't worry about the framerate too much for now. Both previous GoW games had rock solid framerates, and this is still a pretty early demo.

Also, something tells me that the stuff that happens in the demo is small time compared to other stuff that we will see in the final product. OH DAMN

What's the size of the demo btw? 2 Gigs? Cause in my shitty country there still is a limit to downloading...
It's like 2.5 or 2.6 gigs (can't check right now).
I need a new hard drive. I had to delete the Ratchet demo for this.

Denzar

Danielsan said:
It's like 2.5 or 2.6 gigs (can't check right now).
I need a new hard drive. I had to delete the Ratchet demo for this.

Oh my. Thats huge... :/

I think I'll have to skip it. Unless there's a way i can DL it through a regular computer and put it on my PS3's HD somehow.

Loved the gameplay. Loved the graphics. Loved the sound. To echo other people here, the controls in the Icarus Vent were horrifically sluggish - it shouldn't have to be trial and error to make it through. Also, I went a bit prude-ish as some of the gore was slightly too OTT for me, but there you go.

JB1981

rhino4evr said:
my opinion. The demo played just like God of War...which is a good and bad thing. Besides the updated graphics (which were not on the level of Uncharted 2)..I'm not seeing a whole lot of innovation here. Which is fine I guess, but for some reason I'm expecting something new this time around. I'm sure ill enjoy the full game, but the demo kind of felt like been there done that.

also i had no problems with the flight section, even though I did notice the controls were a little stiff.
Pretty much how I felt :(

Man those direct feed shots are incredibly detailed. The game does not look that sharp on my CRT. I'm going to play it on my plasma later, will probably bring out more out the finer details (hopefully). Starting to think that my CRT is starting to go a little. Maybe it's time to upgrade to something else in the bedroom. 720p material doesn't cut it on my Sony CRT anymore, it seems.

Rad-

rhino4evr said:

Exactly how I feel. It's well done but I'm not as amazed by it as most here seem to be. This is no Bayonetta (my opinion, don't jump on it :lol ).

RavenFox

Banned
TTP said:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2i6e35v.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/wvq2y0.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/s4xcuu.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/a14dg4.jpg
Ok TTP you got me baby you got me

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Deepack said:

OT: There are downloading caps at high speeds in most countries. Either low speed unlimited or high speed capped.

kaskade

I think I'm going to have to get a dualshock 3 now. If a there are some spots that can only be seen by Helios' head the controller is suppose to vibrate when you are near a secret.

I'm in love with this demo, spent all morning playing it! Even played one time only with the blades, another with only the cestus and another one with just the fire bow! I'm very impressed with this demo and to think this is a few months old, wow!

roxya

whatevermort said:
Loved the gameplay. Loved the graphics. Loved the sound. To echo other people here, the controls in the Icarus Vent were horrifically sluggish - it shouldn't have to be trial and error to make it through.

I didn't think it was trial and error really? The only part that came close was where you had to go through the small holes where the fireballs had blasted through metal, but you can see the fireballs making a gap sooo far in advance.

RPGCrazied

I dont have a ps3, my bro does.. but doesn't live here

You think it would be a long time before they let just everyone download it? Then I can go bug him to get it. lol

mujun

Danielsan said:
Just played the demo.
I'm kinda underwhelmed to be honest.
The graphics look great. It's no Uncharted 2 but it looks fantastic.
It's just that the combat and the controls really bum me out.
I never feel in control of a fight and nothing really feels responsive.

Ditto. Stopped playing after five minutes. Don't like the lack of camera control.

Fucking awesome, it just feels good to be playing God of War again.

As always, it drives me absolutely insane to not have control of the camera, or at least a first person view. I know that the levels are probably like "sets" anyway and if I look around I'd see how they took shortcuts to make the viewable field look so awesome... but still. I find myself constantly rolling because I want to adjust the camera to look at something.

JB1981

Rad- said:
Exactly how I feel. It's well done but I'm not as amazed by it as most here seem to be. This is no Bayonetta (my opinion, don't jump on it :lol ).

God of War has always been about adventure, brutality and epic scale. The combat has never been exceptional but it gets the job done.

revolverjgw said:
As always, it drives me absolutely insane to not have control of the camera, or at least a first person view. I know that the levels are probably like "sets" anyway and if I look around I'd see how they took shortcuts to make the viewable field look so awesome... but still. I find myself constantly rolling because I want to adjust the camera to look at something.

The camera is largely like that in order to avoid players fighting the camera during combat, which is something that's very common with this genre. Yeah, it doesn't allow you to see how detailed some stuff is. But that's not much to give up in order to make the gameplay a better experience.

Top Bottom