• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where has the smiley gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Actually I'm part of platinum gaf. We're all hipsters and do things manually just because it's so ironic.
You damn Platinum users!
2UG4D.gif

I mean seriously though, can anyone explain how epic threads that end up in the archives will fair without people being able to communicate the hilarity behind a post?

A laugh icon is the closest thing you can do on the internet that represents, involuntary, spontaneous laughter. It's not really funny anymore if you have to type it out and explain, or use rudimentary chatspeak like "LOL" and "LMAO" that played out back before the internet bubble burst.

The majority of serious discussions or debates I've seen don't have a plethora of :lols in the first place. I can say this firsthand from jumping into a poligaf or abortion thread and having my lack of attention span kick in from seeing too much text.

It's your forum, Evilore, but IMO gaf has a great balance between being able to have a serious conversation, being able to "laugh" without explanation or make a one word post where applicable and I think people flock and stay with GAF because of that kind of freedom.

I think the quickest way to make OT and GAF in general into the average forum is to take away those smilies. Again, just my opinion.

Dead Man

soundahfekz said:
I mean seriously though, can anyone explain how epic threads that end up in the archives will fair without people being able to communicate the hilarity behind a post?

A laugh icon is the closest thing you can do on the internet that represents, involuntary, spontaneous laughter. It's not really funny anymore if you have to type it out and explain, or use rudimentary chatspeak like "LOL" and "LMAO" that played out back before the internet bubble burst.

The majority of serious discussions or debates I've seen don't have a plethora of :lols in the first place. I can say this firsthand from jumping into a poligaf or abortion thread and having my lack of attention span kick in from seeing too much text.

It's your forum, Evilore, but IMO gaf has a great balance between being able to have a serious conversation, being able to "laugh" without explanation or make a one word post where applicable and I think people flock and stay with GAF because of that kind of freedom.

I think the quickest way to make OT and GAF in general into the average forum is to take away those smilies. Again, just my opinion.
Nice post.

Flambe

soundahfekz said:

This is the problem I have with it. Mostly with the spontaneous funny threads that turn into photoshop hilarity or just some out-of-the-blue funny fucking post.
The resultant quote and laughing emoticons for some reason give me the giggles much more than when there's nothing following.

Equus Bellator Apex

Oozer3993 said:
You mean slave?

This made me laugh.

I mean not out loud.

I chuckled.

No, I didn't.

It was more of a silent appreciation.

I nodded my head when I read it though. (Is that weird?)

I thought it was funny.

I mean I think it's funny. "Thought" is past tense.

Yep.

Dead Man

I think I have figured it out. Maybe Evilore is just following the Sony model of removing features when used in ways that are not approved of...

*Insert ironic smiley.gif here*

;)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Equus Bellator Apex said:
This made me laugh.

I mean not out loud.

I chuckled.

No, I didn't.

It was more of a silent appreciation.

I nodded my head when I read it though. (Is that weird?)

I thought it was funny.

I mean I think it's funny. "Thought" is past tense.

Yep.

powerful stuff

you wouldn't get this type of post if we had smilies

Kafel

Banned
I too found that idiot Alien post irritating. But you can't ban people for being dumb I guess. Well you can but then it's a moral issue.

Dead Man

FunkyPajamas said:
We should also be identified by a numerical user id instead of these usernames.

I'm 48191.
Nah, identifying marks only encourage individualism in the pursuit of a cult of personality, anonymous posting for all. Of course, in order to encourage sensible posting, mods will retain user records by number.

dejay

Banned
Fuckit! I'm not looking forward to that ten minutes of work it will take me to upload some smilies somewhere and program some macros on my keyboard.

gerg

Monocle said:
EviLore nuked them because they were lowering the quality of our discourse.

I don't quite think that's his reasoning. How bad our discourse is will stay the same irrespective of whether or not we have smilies. It's just that getting rid of them makes it easier for people to ignore how sucky our discourse is.

Monocle

Air Zombie Meat said:
The amount of carbonated beverage I just projected out of my nasal passage is a testament to your comedic skills my good man.
Good chap, your peerless wit commenced in my breast a paroxysm of frivolity that seized my physiognomy and proceeded to shake me to my very foundations. I think I shall have to summon a second maid to restore my room to order.

P4umz.gif

Awww, I'll miss the little buggers. In threads that were meant to be humorous it was easy to scan for :lol's in order to find the funniest bits.

And I must admit, seeing one of my posts quoted with a little :lol dude laughing under it was a boost to the ol pride and ego.

Concerned the forum's gonna feel a little less fun without them around and the loads of super depressing shit that gets posted on OT will feel even a little more depressing due to :lol man not being around to lift our spirits elsewhere.

Now I gotta figure out what to type next time someone's post literally has me on the verge of tears. Those situations are when I'd use :lol and it'd make the laugh extra great... cuz you're already laughing then you see the goofy little face you posted laughing back.

Link Man

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Hit the nail on the head. ( I was just gonna post "THIS" but I can't risk it, that might be next on the chopping block)
I would not be sad if "this" and single-period responses were the next bannable offense. They add nothing to a discussion besides a me-too mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom