• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword new media depot [Latest: Lyre Trailer] [Spoilers may vary]

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Electivirus said:
Diababa is the boss of the Forest Temple, Ook is the mini-boss of the same, and Dangoro is the mini-boss of the Fire Temple.

Ah okay. I remember them but not what they were called.

Amir0x

Banned
EatChildren said:
I can only think of three boss battles, maybe four, that I've seen in Skyward Sword so far. One being the Ghirahim fight that pretty much everybody has seen and many have played.

I've seen that one plus the one from the very first Skyword Sword demo... the one with the obvious weakpoint that made me roll my eyes.

Also I think one that was rolling around, but maybe that wasn't a boss not sure

RagnarokX said:
I'd say Gamespot mistaking the slingshot for a boomerang is worse. IGN didn't really outright say there was a lefty mode, just conjecture.

Really? Seemed like they knew there was a lefty mode to me, seems an odd thing to conjecture about :/

RagnarokX

EatChildren said:
I can only think of three boss battles, maybe four, that I've seen in Skyward Sword so far. One being the Ghirahim fight that pretty much everybody has seen and many have played.

Ghirahim
Spaldera
Da-Iruoma
Sky Whale
Zelda-eater

That's all the bosses I can think of. The last two don't seem like traditional bosses, and I didn't count minibosses like Stalfos, double Lizalfos,
and possibly the giant scorpion from the first demo.

It's kind of a shame that, afaik, Skyview Temple doesn't have a dedicated boss. I mean, Ghirahim is cool and all, but in ALttP we didn't fight Aghanim at the end of the Eastern Temple, he was his own thing. I supposed Phantom Ganon in the Forest Temple of OoT is the most similar.

Big One

Banned
Amir0x said:
Really? Seemed like they knew there was a lefty mode to me, seems an odd thing to conjecture about :/
Yeah Audrey specifically mentioned you choose between left and right handed in the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
I've seen that one plus the one from the very first Skyword Sword demo... the one with the obvious weakpoint that made me roll my eyes.

The scorpion from the very first media?

Tuck

RagnarokX said:
Ghirahim
Spaldera
Da-Iruoma
Sky Whale
Zelda-eater

That's all the bosses I can think of. The last two don't seem like traditional bosses, and I didn't count minibosses like Stalfos, double Lizalfos,
and possibly the giant scorpion from the first demo.
I thought the sky whale was the Zelda eater?

Amir0x

Banned
EatChildren said:
The scorpion from the very first media?

i think that was the one yeah. Seemed like either the very first midboss of the game or the very first boss because of its extremely obvious nature

Kard8p3

IceDoesntHelp said:
Whens that first review supposed to be coming in again? Is it this week or next?

I believe next week is when ONM comes out. Wont be reliable but it'll still be nice to see a review I guess.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kard8p3 said:
I believe next week is when ONM comes out. Wont be reliable but it'll still be nice to see a review I guess.

Wait, what? Next week? Isn't the game still not due for a whole extra month?

RagnarokX

Reversed said:
Just going through it.

Just got to a video showing Link standing the desert and going through all of the items we've seen so far.

Some footage of the desert region temple. Looks like there is a repeat of a Wind Waker puzzle involving
Playing basketball with bombs to knock down platforms to stand on.

footage of Link putting bomb flowers in his bag

footage of the gust bellow and whip

That's pretty much all of the worthwhile footage from it.

Looks like there's no boomerang as they mention that the beetle 'became' it in terms of function.
There's probably heaps more, info just skimming at work.

Yeah, they designed the boomerang to be controlled with Wii Motion Plus originally, but they realised it wasn't a boomerang if you could control it to go in any direction. Then they wanted to make it grab items too so they need a hand-like thing to 'grab' them with. Because the beetle allowed you to move forward away from Link they were worried it would be broken in terms of seeing stuff before you were supposed to - the level designers complained a lot, apparently.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder if those are all the items in the game, and instead of getting a ton of varied items the game is instead based on upgrading them.

Interesting, Miyamoto apparently said 'yesterday' that they can't go back to the way Zelda used to be controlled (although he may not be just be talking about Motion Plus, since Ishida mentions it in the context of drinking potions while running as well). Although Ishida worries that some consumers may be put off by the 'challenge' of learning a new control method with Wii Motion Plus.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
EatChildren said:
I wonder if those are all the items in the game, and instead of getting a ton of varied items the game is instead based on upgrading them.

I would totally be ok with that, its actually something Ive called for a number of times since before TP, and especially after it. Getting all the items before the halfway point of the game would be great.

My only reservation here though is that these items arent as varied as I originally envisioned they would be, plus its been mentioned that theres some kind of item management system and it would be a bit surprising for Nintendo to reveal all the items before launch. But who knows, I really hope the upgrades are good for all of the items.

RagnarokX

EatChildren said:
I dunno. If that was the case then that would mean we may have seen all of the dungeons since we know where Link gets most of these items and we've seen him get one from every dungeon we know about... (except the Earth temple has a bunch of items associated with it).

I'll do a quick list of where every item comes from:

Slingshot - Gift from Kikwi leader Buccha
Beetle - treasure of Skyview Temple
Bombs - unknown where the bomb bag comes from. Probably Eldin area.
Bow - unknown, but probably Earth Temple
Digging Mitts - looks like a gift from the Mogma, maybe in Earth Temple
Gust Bellow - sand dungeon (or pirate ships. It's related to that big hands race)
Whip - Ancient Cistern
Double Clawshots - unknown, but it seems desert related

StreetsAhead said:
Interesting, Miyamoto apparently said 'yesterday' that they can't go back to the way Zelda used to be controlled (although he may not be just be talking about Motion Plus, since Ishida mentions it in the context of drinking potions while running as well). Although Ishida worries that some consumers may be put off by the 'challenge' of learning a new control method with Wii Motion Plus.

I am glad to hear it. Motion, at least for swordplay, seems like the right path for Zelda.

Yeah... that bomb throwing puzzle and the way Link swings off beams with the whip... I think the unused Wind Waker dungeon ideas went here, not Twilight Princess.

Bit-Bit

Reversed said:

On Chrome, it' translates to english automatically for me. So awesome.

Especially this part.

Iwata
Stationary case is extremely
concerned because a lot of people,
had issued instructions once
I fix it I quite Kikanakatsu or later.

Fujibayashi
That's right. It is most big.
But this time, there is also the first time that stationary,
but I was initially quite feeling the pressure,
pinch, and try to make it
a "much remained the same"
feeling it might be.

Iwata
Looking to make really
the same "Zelda" What was that?

Fujibayashi
That's right.
"Making a director Zelda"
in the sense that there was no difference.

RagnarokX

Sneaky Gato said:
All the music was so good but the
desert
one was incredible.

Surprised this wasn't linked to before but here are some more details from that Berlin event where the first 15 minutes were filmed: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/1...bag-gear-menu-and-tons-of-other-new-deta.html
Nice. So if my assumptions are correct there will be at least
dungeons:
4 shards and 5 songs. There could be songs not associated with dungeons, though. Could also be 7 dungeons: 4 shards and 3 pearls.

Kard8p3

I think we need lord ghirahim here. I think he's the one that's translated some other Skyward Sword related stories for us.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
IceDoesntHelp said:
I think they look good. My opinion of course.

Its a mixed bag for me. None of the ingame animations so far look as natural and dynamic as the cutscene ones, but most are pretty good overall while some, mostly notably the footwork when in combat, are a bit stiff and dont look that great. So on average the animations are acceptable but they definitely could have been better by being a bit more dynamic and detailed.

mugwhump

Kard8p3 said:
http://kotaku.com/5850671/the-new-zelda-wont-have-a-lefty-mode-after-all

It seems that there will be no lefty option in Skyward Sword.
So what exactly is stopping them from doing this? Can't they just

1) mirror the video output (minus text and whatnot)
2) mirror the x-axis on the motion sensors and analog sticks
?

As far as I can tell that would make Link hold his sword in his left hand and swing it left when the player did.

I have difficulty imagining Nintendo would overlook such an obvious solution, though.

Kard8p3

With the new info we received today I've decided to give my thoughts on how things will go. It's all speculation but I'll spoiler tag it anyway.

Since you seem to have the first broken plate and it has a green jewel on it I'm assuming you use these to open the way to the different areas below. Obviously inserting the green jeweled plate into the goddess statue will open up the way to the forest. After beating the first temple I assume the plate you get there will have a red jewel. This will of course take you to Eldin Volcano where I assume you'll get a plate with a yellow jewel which will lead to the desert area. I'm just going to assume you get a blue jeweled plate there. After inserting the last plate some big stuff will go down.

It's been said that in the gear screen you can see three places for pearls around your sword. So I'm guessing after all the big stuff goes down you're going to have to find the goddess pearls to help forge the master sword. This would of course take you through another set of three dungeons. After this you'll be ready to tackle the final dungeon and take out whoever the final boss may be. This would of course bring the dungeon count to 7 though it could be 8 if you have a dungeon between the two sets of three where you're not collecting a specific item at the end of the dungeon.

Since you start the game with six hearts I can't see there being any more than 8 dungeons since I'm sure they still want to have plenty of hidden heart pieces in the game.

Well those are my thoughts on how I think things will go. It's all speculation but I could see it turning out this way.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My Twilight Princess first playthrough update: just arrived on The City of the Sky. It's a rather surreal feeling to know that on the next Zelda I will see firsthand what I assume the society that lived on the City that is on Twilight Princess has been abandoned.

Felt really strange indeed.

Speaking of which, this is the last dungeon of Twilight Princess, right...?

Kard8p3

Laughing Banana said:
My Twilight Princess first playthrough update: just arrived on The City of the Sky. It's a rather surreal feeling to know that on the next Zelda I will see firsthand what I assume the society that lived on the City that is on Twilight Princess has been abandoned.

The last full fledged dungeon anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Laughing Banana said:

City in the Sky is such a badass dungeon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The_Technomancer said:
Go download Spacechem
[Nintex] said:
*looks at handful of good games released this year*

Uuuuhhh Portal 2?
Let's be serious here :lol

2011 can't have gotten any shittier than it did. ZELDA CAN SAVE IT THOUGH.

Top Bottom