• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Ishida

Banned
Why did they even bother designing a character after Gackt? Like wouldn't they, as a company, structure his contract so that he wouldn't be a hindrance?

It's odd that one pop star is basically holding two games in Square's most popular franchise hostage, or that they'd allow that to even be a possibility.

Highly doubt that's the case. Gackt is holding nothing hostage. If they cannot use his likeness anymore, they could very simply redesign Genesis and that's it. It's not like Genesis himself looks much different from other Final Fantasy prettyboys.

Why did they even bother designing a character after Gackt? Like wouldn't they, as a company, structure his contract so that he wouldn't be a hindrance?

It's odd that one pop star is basically holding two games in Square's most popular franchise hostage, or that they'd allow that to even be a possibility.

He was originally just a cameo, not a full character:
FF Wiki said:
Gackt's original involvement with Square Enix was singing the theme music for Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-, and appearing in a minor role in that game, playing Genesis. Hideki Imaizumi, the producer of Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII, thought such a passing role was a waste, and asked for more involvement. Imaizumi and Gackt came up with Genesis's design, describing everything from his attitude to his clothes. "I went to eat with him one time and described the Final Fantasy VII universe in rich detail. And it turned into this process of collaboration, creating the character together. Then we went to the studio and recorded the Japanese voice with all that in mind. So he really was a creative partner in all of this. And we really wanted the connection between Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core."

AmyS

Eurogamer: The evolution of Final Fantasy 7

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-evolution-of-final-fantasy-7

Of course there's a massive leap in quality between the original PlayStation and PlayStation 4, but there is one often forgotten look at Midgar that we just couldn't ignore - the Final Fantasy 7 Technical Demonstration for PlayStation 3. Yes, this demo was first presented all the way back in 2005 when the hardware was first revealed at the now infamous conference with the pre-rendered Killzone 2 and Motorstorm 'target renders'.

We've never uncovered the truth behind this tech demo - was it rendered on a PS3 devkit? Perhaps an offline render? Or was it created on a high-spec PC? Regardless, the demo still holds up rather well today with a 60fps frame-rate and plenty of detail throughout. Looking at it in 2015 we can see a lot of modern rendering effects missing, such as the lack of contact shadows, but it remains quite attractive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtu1AVQn1s

This demo basically covers the introduction sequence for the game, which we haven't seen in remake form just yet, but there is one moment where the two paths cross. Both the demo and the remake trailer feature Cloud leaping from the train in preparation for battle - the new UE4 model is more detailed, with complex shaders and texture work, but they both look pretty good. The PS3 tech demo model appears cleaner and more reminiscent of Advent Children, while the remake iteration of Cloud is gaunt and almost sickly in appearance, which we presume is an intentional design choice. We also see that the scenery in the first area makes better use of colour in the remake. Compared to the original FF7 on PlayStation 1, the PS3 demo is rather gray and dull while the remake sports a look that more closely resembles the original designs. It's fascinating to see.

raven777

CWQUiBeUEAEAUMp.jpg:orig

famitsu preview

Apparently the scenario for part 1 is finished.

Mediking

CWQUiBeUEAEAUMp.jpg:orig

famitsu preview

Apparently the scenario for part 1 is finished.

I wish I was the interviewer. First question I would've asked is: "Be honest, Nomura-san. The biggest reason this game isn't turn based is because you want it to carry the torch for FF 15 Versus, huh? I'm not even mad. Just asking." XP

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I wish I was the interviewer. First question I would've asked is: "Be honest, Nomura-san. The biggest reason this game isn't turn based is because you want it to carry the torch for FF 15 Versus, huh? I'm not even mad. Just asking." XP

Desperately awaiting the translation when it hits.

Two Words

I asked this in the other thread, but it fits here. If you had the complete and final FFVII Remake script on your computer for a brief moment and could ctrl + F one word, what word would you pick?

Golnei

I asked this in the other thread, but it fits here. If you had the complete and final FFVII Remake script on your computer for a brief moment and could ctrl + F one word, what word would you pick?

Mosey, obviously. Since its inclusion is more of a localisation choice than anything else, the amount of staff involved in that decision would be small enough to abduct and threaten in advance, as opposed to larger directorial decisions like including Genesis.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ARC 1 IS DONE

Fuck, I can't wait for them to reveal how much that is of the game.

i mean i knew itll be an action RPG but watching that footage feels like a fist hit my stomach once more :(
i guess theres no more market for big budget turn based RPGs :(

jiggle

Weird that they forgot to mention the crisis core ending that recreated the opening scene in CG
Especially since they did note CC's opening
Still the best cloud, not this methface prompto reject we are getting
latest

Lovely to see the little touches (like Jessie's kick), that I don't even remember, get carried over

RagnarokX

OH MY GOD RIGHT!? What does that mean? Its such a weird sentence, hell, I'd go as far to say its not a proper sentence. It should be The Legend Becomes Real, not Legendary.

Um... they're just using an adjective as a noun, which is acceptable. "The legendary" is the noun of the sentence. The English, the rich, the poor, the sick, the accused, the injured, etc, for example. As long as "the" precedes it adjectives can be used this way.

I don't think "the legendary" is even that uncommon. It's more proper than "The legend becomes real" imo because there is no legend and it's certainly not becoming real, whereas the meaning of "The legendary becomes real" is that the remake worthy of legend is becoming real, since the legendary refers to the remake and the years of desire for it.

"The Legendary Becomes Real"

help me understand

English doesn't follow its own rules. Nouns are adjectives, adjectives are nouns and so on. Any adjective can be a noun. The speaker chooses simply by adding "A" or "the" in front.

Native speakers take it for granted but it's crap hard for native speakers of the strict, easy grammar of Nihongo.

"Bring us your tired, your poor, your legendary."

"They are the legendary' or 'They are the legendary ones'
... just depends on what the writer thinks sounds cooler.

Yuck. Grammar is boring. Carry on. Back to buster swords.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Weird that they forgot to mention the crisis core ending that recreated the opening scene in CG
Especially since they did note CC's opening
Still the best cloud, not this methface prompto reject we are getting
latest

According to CC, the reason why he looks sick at the beginning of FF7 is explained in the game

Two Words

Mosey, obviously. Since its inclusion is more of a localisation choice than anything else, the amount of staff involved in that decision would be small enough to abduct and threaten in advance, as opposed to larger directorial decisions like including Genesis.

Mosey is actually what I was thinking too.

I watched cutscenes of Dirge of Cerberus on youtube involving the FFVII cast and it somehow made me slightly less excited for this game. Hopefully the voice work and dialogue is a lot better... lol

-Ryn

Banned
Yuck. Grammar is boring. Carry on. Back to buster swords.
Speaking of Buster Swords, I love the new design of it for the remake. Taking the original gaurd but keeping the AC version's engravings on the blade looks so damn cool.

It almost seems like Cloud bolted the gaurd over the original one.

Koozek

Thanks to Mognet's Rin:

Summary of information from the latest Kitase & Nomura interview from Famitsu (12/31 weekly edition):
- Nomura says he didn't know when he'd appear on the PSX stage until the day of the event, after he'd entered Moscone (name of the center in San Francisco where PSX was held).
- Right about when the 7R project was gearing up, it was Hashimoto who said that he wanted the remake to have AC-level visuals. Since Nomura is AC's director, the decision to have him direct 7R was a natural one.
- Nomura knows that we (the fans) are worried about the remake project's schedule, and he says that they (Square Enix) also want to play it ASAP. This is one of the contributing factors to their decision to split the game into several parts.
- Some parts in the Compilation that have been difficult to understand will be connected better in the Remake.
- Nojima was impressed by voiced Biggs, Jessica, and Wedge, and he sent a message to Nomura saying, "I want them to talk more!"
- Part of the escape after the Bombing Mission will serve as a tutorial for the game.
- Nomura says that he and Kitase are not able to discuss online components of the VII Remake at this time. They have to focus on the game first.
- Nojima has finished the main scenario of the first part of the remake. All the team have left to do is add side stuff and flesh out side characters such as Jessica, Wedge, and Biggs.
- Kitase: "I hope to resume voice recording in January. Is that all right with you?" Nomura: "Are we even allowed to say that here? (laugh)"
- Real ≠ Photoreal "Real" is an important keyword for 7R, but Nomura says this does not mean photorealism. The "real" comes from maintaining integrity and unity of the world.
- CC2 may have put together the latest PV. Nomura complained about CC2's difference in directing taste, and so they changed the trailer's style to fit more of SE's.
- The Osaka KH team are in what seems to be frequent contact with the VIIR team back in Tokyo. Specifically, the KH team relay to the VII team about what successes they've had with UE4.
- Nomura says the Shinra soldiers will not reappear in future promotion because they have yet to be refined. Compared to Barret, their design is still very rough, and Nomura says that the soldiers need to be detailed or else they won't appear real.
- Nomura mentions that grains of asphalt looked too big when compared to the size of the characters. He admits that he spent forever getting them to look finer. Kitase also says they're working hard to make the roads look good.
- Nomura says the quality we've seen in the PV will only get better. This is not representative of the final product.
- VII's famous opening, where the camera zooms in all across Midgar, etc., will probably be changed in the remake.
- The remake will have more scenes of people actually living in Midgar.
- The Guard command is being investigated, but the option to dodge is still available.
- Kitase says that VIIR's "ATB" is different, and while they still call it that, its formal name will likely change.
- Another system that is not yet shown involves your party. It is different from party cooperation, though.

To end, here's part of Nojima's message to VII fans:
"This enormous train, FFVII, will take a bit longer to reach your station. Please use this time to prepare yourselves for the journey and battles ahead."

Other details: http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-one-scenario-complete

Source: http://www.mognetcentral.com/thread...e-general-news-thread.4070/page-22#post-30587

Dark_castle

^Thanks for sharing.

I'm incredibly excited for the game, but I'm also concerned if they're paying just a tad much attention to graphical quality. I can't speak for everyone, but the road could look more pretty or less pretty, I don't give a damn. Focus more on the gameplay, not visuals.

I'm also one of those who much rather have one completed game in one disc even if it takes 2 or 3 or 4 years longer than splitting up the game into multiple parts for faster release.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad to see all that information in the article, thanks for posting.

Very glad to see that they are connecting and streamlining a lot of the compilation stuff to make it fit much more smoothly to the remake, i always wanted the universe to be more consistent in tone, and this seems to be them addressing that in part

- Some parts in the Compilation that have been difficult to understand will be connected better in the Remake.

Say hello to your favorite character Gaf, Genesis

- VII's famous opening, where the camera zooms in all across Midgar, etc., will probably be changed in the remake.

Please reconsider about this Nomura :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Say hello to your favorite character Gaf, Genesis

Please reconsider about this Nomura :(

Guys... the original is like 10 seconds. How could it not be changed?

If you put that in the modern game, it would feel far too brief for the spectacle at hand.

They need a new opening with far far more meat to it. I personally hope it includes elements from the zoom out/zoom in original, but it should be massively expanded.

Golnei

The opening being changed is odd considering how close to the original the train scene is, but they seem to have something specific in mind.

Also, does this rule out the idea of Jessie, Wedge and Biggs ever being playable?

As for the cast, they’re continuing plans with the voice actors from Advent Children, but there are some that still haven’t been offered yet. Red XIII only made a cameo appearance, so his voice is likely to be changed.

YES

Guys... the original is like 10 seconds. How could it not be changed?

If you put that in the modern game, it would feel far too brief for the spectacle at hand.

They need a new opening with far far more meat to it. I personally hope it includes elements from the zoom out/zoom in original, but it should be massively expanded.

We're talking about everything before Cloud's appearance, yar? That's basically just an establishing shot and a title; of course it'd be brief. Even then, it still actually lasted 2 minutes.

For comparison, the intro to Final Fantasy XIII (the establishing shot of the sky panning to the train, the narration and the title) lasted even shorter with just over 1 minute before Lightning appeared.

Top Bottom