• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what i think hes referencing isnt cloud being a Zack rehash, its the whole Zack did this thing first, like the falling through the church for example, this was a unique moment cloud had that SE made Zack do first, and they went and called it an homage to the original, which i call bull on that one

It wasn't SE, it was Nojima who created the original plot point of falling through the roof. So him calling it a homage would make perfect sense.

and Aerith wasnt attracted to Cloud just because of Zack, not only because of their contrasting personalities, but because the scene she makes a reference about Zack, she says she was bothered by how the way he walks and gestures being similar to Zacks, but that hes different and that things are different

That's if you get high affection points for Aerith. Otherwise she don't say that, and you can assume that she was originally taken by how Cloud's situation was so similar to Zack.

also, cloud never took Zacks personality in the game, and his whole fake persona are based on other factors, as in, tifas memory of cloud, clouds ideal self, clouds own personality, and cloud memories of Zack and superimposing himself into Zacks place

He didn't take his personality completely, but he took his memories, and thus apart of his persona, along with a bunch of other factors. That doesn't invalidate the point, that he superimposed himself onto Zack and thus became a portion of Zack for a time.

ZenTzen

It wasn't SE, it was Nojima who created the original plot point of falling through the roof. So him calling it a homage would make perfect sense.
my point still stands though, and nojima is part of SE, so making Zack do these unique events that cloud had, kinda dumbs down on cloud

That's if you get high affection points for Aerith. Otherwise she don't say that, and you can assume that she was originally taken by how Cloud's situation was so similar to Zack.
either way, you can also assume that, that is a thought she already has despite the date scene, that only provided her the opportunity to voice it to cloud

He didn't take his personality completely, but he took his memories, and thus apart of his persona, along with a bunch of other factors. That doesn't invalidate the point, that he superimposed himself onto Zack and thus became a portion of Zack for a time.
thats a bit wrong there, he never took Zacks memories, he only used his own memories of Zack to superimpose himself into

either way, his personality in disk 1 really has nothing to do with Zack, besides the superficial stuff, like abilities and mannerisms

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Restoration yes.

Changing or altering a masterpiece, no.

_62428393_frescopic.gif

What is the story behind this?

raven777

some stuff from Dengeki
sorry for poor translation as always.

-The game will be fully voiced, so for those who weren't in Advent Children will need to be casted.
-The date event will be fully voiced as well of course
-The social situation has changed since the original game's release, so they have to be very careful with how they recreate the events. Stuff like Honeybee...
-Regarding the map, they can't comment on it yet but Nomura is not obsessed with with so-called open world or sandbox style. Nomura is more focused on the environment and how gameplay affects the environment.
-They want to put as many of the popular mini-games from the original. They are not sure if they will include every single one of them though..
-As for the development, they feel they just got done with the initial stage. There is still a long way to go.
-Can't comment on releasing it on the FF7 20th anniversary (January 31st, 2017)
-Nomura has KH 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy for 2016, so the next info on FF7 Remake will probably be after those titles are done.

Dark_castle

Good. I don't need open world. But I just hope the world map is properly reimagined into scaled, interconnected field maps like that of FF12.

-Regarding the map, they can't comment on it yet but Nomura is not obsessed with with so-called open world or sandbox style. Nomura is more focused on the environment and how gameplay affects the environment.

Fuck yeah. Get rid of openworld style, that shit is overused

Oh c'mon... Fuck the current social situation. :(

Yeah, I mean they just re-released the original (again) for crying out loud, and I don't see any newcomers to the game complaining about that stuff - and I'm pretty active on Tumblr! /tongueincheek

I really hope they leave in that and the other goofy scenes. (Taking Barret as your Gold Saucer date comes to mind...Red XIII's Shinra disguise..snowboarding.)

Yeah man, fuck those LGBT folks who want fair and respectable representation in 2015 and beyond. How will my childhood not be ruined without sexuality and gender identity being presented as deviant and freakish. /s

Is it your opinion that fictional characters should never be depicted as being racist, bigoted, or otherwise anything less than socially perfect human beings? If such a character exists in any fictional work, does it make you think less of the author(s)? Genuinely curious.

some stuff from Dengeki

-The game will be fully voiced, so for those who weren't in Advent Children will need to be casted.
-The social situation has changed since the original game's release, so they have to be very careful with how they recreate the events. Stuff like Honeybee...
-They want to put as many of the popular mini-games from the original. They are not sure if they will include every single one of them though..
-As for the development, they feel they just got done with the initial stage. There is still a long way to go.
-Can't comment on releasing it onthe FF7 20th anniversary (January 21st, 2017)
-Nomura has KH 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy for 2016, so the next info on FF7 Remake will probably be after those titles are done.

What do they mean by fully voiced? I don't inherently mind voice acting, but if they mean every line of dialogue in the game, I just think that's taking on an unnecessary expense. I don't think it makes the game inherently worse but it does make the content more expensive.

Rethinking events like the honeybee inn was a given.

I personally agree with the priority being on how the environment relates to the gameplay, but that better mean the level design will be good, lol. I still think there need to be open areas, but I would be okay with the areas being more similar to FF12 if they're designed well.

Also, just curious, but they mentioned WoFF as one of Nomura's 2016 games. How heavily is he involved with that? I didn't really get the impression that he had much of a hand in that project.

raven777

What do they mean by fully voiced? I don't inherently mind voice acting, but if they mean every line of dialogue in the game, I just think that's taking on an unnecessary expense. I don't think it makes the game inherently worse but it does make the content more expensive.

I personally agree with the priority being on how the environment relates to the gameplay, but that better mean the level design will be good, lol. I still think there need to be open areas, but I would be okay with the areas being more similar to FF12 if they're designed well.

Also, just curious, but they mentioned WoFF as one of Nomura's 2016 games. How heavily is he involved with that? I didn't really get the impression that he had much of a hand in that project.

I think that means all the main event will be fully voiced. Very small stuff like random NPCs are probably not, but rest will be. It's normal for JRPGs these days. Nothing special.

For WoFF, I really don't know. I know he worked on the main character design, and giving ideas to the game (like the Chibi transformation gameplay mechanic was Nomura's idea).

Pagusas

Elden Member
some stuff from Dengeki

-Can't comment on releasing it on the FF7 20th anniversary (January 31st, 2017)

@$!@#%@#%^ @%@#% @#^@#^@#^^ F#%%#%# ^#^#$^#$^. The best part of FF7 is its amazing world map and how open and large it felt. It was a breath of fresh air after leaving Midgar, and made you really feel part of the world. You dont need to be open world for that, but he better not go the shitty FFX or FF12 routes.

It should be like it was, or at least give the same openness as it did. By the end of the game I should be able to raise chocobo, fly around anywhere, and discover secrets like Knights of the Round. If they cant make that happen, they've failed. Sure it will require some rethinking and retooling of things like the highwind (Such as why cant the highwind land at the Knights of the Round island yet a gold chocoboo has no issues, and how do you make a gold chocoboo running over mountains and oceans look like it belongs in the world they are creating...) but I'm sure they can figure out something.

The deeper they get into this project the sadder I get. I really do not understand why they choose the art style they did given the context of the story and events in the game. A more stylized/anime approach would have been truer to the original, allowed greater flexability to events and made the whole thing that much easier to adapt for a modern age.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah man, fuck those LGBT folks who want fair and respectable representation in 2015 and beyond. How will my childhood not be ruined without sexuality and gender identity being presented as deviant and freakish. /s

I think you're really stretching by characterizing Cloud in a dress as "deviant and freakish".

Most FF characters are about as androgynous as you can get in the industry, the joke is that pretty-boy Cloud also makes a pretty girl, so obviously the lecherous Don Corneo falls head over heels for him.

I think that means all the main event will be fully voiced. Very small stuff like random NPCs are probably not, but rest will be. It's normal for JRPGs these days. Nothing special.

For WoFF, I really don't know. I know he worked on the main character design, and giving ideas to the game (like the Chibi transformation gameplay mechanic was Nomura's idea).

lol, has he taken Sakaguchi's place in the company? It seems like he influences a lot of projects at SE even when he's not officially that involved.

I think you're really stretching by characterizing Cloud in a dress as "deviant and freakish".

Most FF characters are about as androgynous as you can get in the industry, the joke is that pretty-boy Cloud also makes a pretty girl, so obviously the lecherous Don Corneo falls head over heels for him.

Widge

@$!@#%@#%^ @%@#% @#^@#^@#^^ F#%%#%# ^#^#$^#$^.

I remember reading on here that Nomura toyed with a world map for VersusXIII but eventually canned it, stating that it didn't really fit the aesthetic of a modern big budget game. Pretty unsurprised if it doesn't end up being present in this remake (especially since a lot of it looks like the VersusXIII test footage that popped up so long ago).

I think the only way that people were going to get a direct beat for beat remake of VII was if it was a lower budget game, where they could make concessions to world maps, fixed point of view cameras. Of course this is something that never would happen with a game of the calibre of VII.

Widge

Not really open world, but it felt to me like a big place. Flying around and finding some optional areas was great. So how would you like to see the world realised than?

I think VII did a great job of disguising its linearity where, in reality, it was as much of a straight A to B job as something like Secret Of Mana. Leave Midgar, follow Sephiroph around the world in a straight line as mandated visiting theme location of the moment.

It gets opened up at the end but was there really that much to go see bar a few random caves and events? Not really. The very same game could have easily been achieved in the manner of X or XIII.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's 2015. They mean that every last thing in the game will be voiced, assuredly.

Ishida

Banned

What...? I'm talking about the "I feel offended" culture.

And it is a fucking game.

Jacobs

I think VII did a great job of disguising its linearity where, in reality, it was as much of a straight A to B job as something like Secret Of Mana. Leave Midgar, follow Sephiroph around the world in a straight line as mandated visiting theme location of the moment.

It gets opened up at the end but was there really that much to go see bar a few random caves and events? Not really. The very same game could have easily been achieved in the manner of X or XIII.

Might be so, but you still had to drive/fly/walk around the world to find the places you needed to go, right? Maybe that's not modern style gameplay and I can see why people would be bored by that. But to mee it feels less lineair than a story that just constantly moves you forward without too much freedom like FFXIII

Is it your opinion that fictional characters should never be depicted as being racist, bigoted, or otherwise anything less than socially perfect human beings? If such a character exists in any fictional work, does it make you think less of the author(s)? Genuinely curious.

Don't be asinine. Of course fictional characters can be bigots, but the tone of the work should not be supportive of that. All the nudge nudge wink wink from the NPCs as Aerith explains that Cloud wants to dress as a girl suggests that the game thinks that mocking a man for dressing like a girl is perfectly fine. Hell, when Tifa realises that the other person is Cloud she and Aerith have a giggle about it, ignoring that they are trying to escape from the dungeon of a guy who rounds up impoverished and desperate women so that he 'find a wife' for the night.

The nature of what's going on there is way too heavy that presenting it as 'Cloud and friends jolly cross-dressing escapades in the lair of the sex trafficker' is going to be really problematic. Don Corneo isn't that far off someone like Whoreson's Jr. in the Witcher 3 but that game really doesn't mess about when presenting what those actions really mean.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Oooooooh boy...

HMD

If Atlus can do it with Persona, I think Square can handle it.

Don't be asinine. Of course fictional characters can be bigots, but the tone of the work should not be supportive of that. All the nudge nudge wink wink from the NPCs as Aerith explains that Cloud wants to dress as a girl suggests that the game thinks that mocking a man for dressing like a girl is perfectly fine. Hell, when Tifa realises that the other person is Cloud she and Aerith have a giggle about it, ignoring that they are trying to escape from the dungeon of a guy who rounds up impoverished and desperate women so that he 'find a wife' for the night.

The nature of what's going on there is way too heavy that presenting it as 'Cloud and friends jolly cross-dressing escapades in the lair of the sex trafficker' is going to be really problematic. Don Corneo isn't that far off someone like Whoreson's Jr. in the Witcher 3 but that game really doesn't mess about when presenting what those actions really mean.

Preeetty sure Tifa and Aerith "having a giggle" has more to do with Cloud and his personality being.. well, Cloud. It's like seeing a beautiful woman and suddenly realizing it's Jason Statham. The (male) dressmaker's dialogue makes him sound rather supportive of the idea without being creepy, and the only other really negative response aside from the bad guy when he finds out is a random customer who says "You're... weird."

I 100% agree that LGBT deserve equal and fair representation, but I think that choosing FF7's Honeybee Inn as a battleground for that seems a bit silly and unnecessary.

If Atlus can do it with Persona, I think Square can handle it.

Is that what they're doing with Persona 5? Because P4 didn't give voice acting to all the NPCs, which is essentially what I'm asking about. There are other games like TW3 that managed to do it, and I don't regard it as impossible, I just don't personally regard it as that important outside of main character dialogue.

I really hope they just do an HD version of the classic FF world map, seems like that's what most people want anyway. Leave the open world to FFXV and games designed around that conceit.

lol, has he taken Sakaguchi's place in the company? It seems like he influences a lot of projects at SE even when he's not officially that involved.

Consider that at different points in time, he was the director of FFXV, KH3, and FF7R. IMO he has been SE's most important tastemaker for a long time.
I'm wondering if him getting pulled off of FFXV was not as malevolent as we initially thought it was.

Consider that at different points in time, he was the director of FFXV, KH3, and FF7R. IMO he has been SE's most important tastemaker for a long time.
I'm wondering if him getting pulled off of FFXV was not as malevolent as we initially thought it was.

Oh yeah, I recognized that he was really important in the company because of how involved he was with the handheld output of SE in the Versus days, but it's interesting here. Back then, he wasn't directing any console games that were in active production. Here, he's directing two. Plus, doesn't seem to have been involved in the conception or any interviews for WoFF, so it's kind of interesting to see how that influence extends to projects he wasn't directly involved in, when he's busier than ever.

But regarding his removal from FFXV, he said himself that it was a company decision that he couldn't speak on, so I think that shows that it wasn't something he wanted. Obviously SE management, or people like Kitase still have enough faith him him to handle this, which is good. Back when he was removed, what I was expecting to happen to Nomura and the KH team was essentially what ended up happening to KojiPro, but the whole XV debacle obviously hasn't done any permanent damage.

Breakage

I bet the open world will be a menu with a list of locations that can be travelled.

I still think this project is a ridiculous undertaking.

I really hope they just do an HD version of the classic FF world map, seems like that's what most people want anyway. Leave the open world to FFXV and games designed around that conceit.

Yeah, this. I was happy to see the world map return in Type-0, though there simply wasn't much to do in it. Still, it was serviceable and there was at least some point in having it (capturing different types of chocobos for breeding, exploring to find caves and
the Setzer airship
. Menu-based navigation just wouldn't have been as satisfying and something like FFX doesn't lend itself to exploration. World map seems to me the easiest compromise here.

@$!@#%@#%^ @%@#% @#^@#^@#^^ F#%%#%# ^#^#$^#$^. The best part of FF7 is its amazing world map and how open and large it felt. It was a breath of fresh air after leaving Midgar, and made you really feel part of the world. You dont need to be open world for that, but he better not go the shitty FFX or FF12 routes.

It should be like it was, or at least give the same openness as it did. By the end of the game I should be able to raise chocobo, fly around anywhere, and discover secrets like Knights of the Round. If they cant make that happen, they've failed. Sure it will require some rethinking and retooling of things like the highwind (Such as why cant the highwind land at the Knights of the Round island yet a gold chocoboo has no issues, and how do you make a gold chocoboo running over mountains and oceans look like it belongs in the world they are creating...) but I'm sure they can figure out something.

The deeper they get into this project the sadder I get. I really do not understand why they choose the art style they did given the context of the story and events in the game. A more stylized/anime approach would have been truer to the original, allowed greater flexability to events and made the whole thing that much easier to adapt for a modern age.

This. I'm really scared now. Plus if it's gonna be FF10/13 style connected paths or even FF12 (which would be a little more acceptable), I'm much less supportive of the episodic approach. If you're gonna take that long to bring it all out and we're spending that much money over time, I should think they have an obligation to do it properly in a way that's gonna recapture the original feelings we had. Getting the Highwind and just the Airship interior serving as a glorified fast travel hub with a map/menu is not the way to do that.

Raynes

Yeah because that's what Final Fantasy is, a representation of an ideal society. Next lets take out all the killing.

Breakage

You mean overworld? Because I will never consider FFX openworld

Yeah, neither did I. I don't expect SE to actually build an open world where you can run around and explore stuff. Part of me feels like they've just realised how big the remake project is going to be.

I know "open world" means different things to different people, but...

I know what an open world is. What I meant was that I think people's expectations of a fully realised open world will probably be crushed (as it will probably end up being an menu based overworld similar to FFX).

They better not get rid of some sort of open world...There most linear game is also by far the most despised... The sense of a massive world was very much part of the FF experience. If they are going to justify 3 full games, they sure as heck better make the game massive!

Yeah, this. Type-0 showed that it can srill work in this day and age. And the World Map is key for things like the Midgar Zolom and chasing Ultima Weapon. It wouldn't be the same with an FFX style map.

Top Bottom