• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

STAY STRONG. Think of Shadows of Mordor ultra texture pack!

Yes, I must stay strong. I'm playing the game on High(texture) but everything else on Medium for that 60fps...But at 978p..Still looks good. Hopefully when the Wicther 3 comes out, we will see the 8GB versions by then...

Yes, I must stay strong. I'm playing the game on High(texture) but everything else on Medium for that 60fps...But at 978p..Still looks good. Hopefully when the Wicther 3 comes out, we will see the 8GB versions by then...

I understand though, I keep coming into these topics when I shouldn't because it makes me want to upgrade when I know I shouldn't :lol.

NJDEN

I'm in the same position ordered a EVGA 980 SC on the 25th as well. Finally contacted them like 2 days ago asking for an estimate and they had none :(. Been constantly checking my local microcenter for one as well with no luck yet.

Finally got a delivery date for October 14th, but I decided to upgrade my shipping to 1 day which was about 3 bucks. So now the card should arrive on the 10th, which is this Friday making it worth the extra $3 in my opinion.

I'd say the hottest selling cards have about a two week waiting period. I'm seeing similar wait times for other people aswell (unless you snag one of Neweggs cards in one of their ten minute windows of 'In Stock').

That Heaven Benchmark doesn't seem right. Are you testing with a resolution above 1080p?

No, but I had 8x AA and Extreme tessellation. The framerate seems to cap itself to 30 FPS on some sections of the benchmark. To be honest, I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or right with benching or overclocking. I have only done it a few times.

Does the score seem really low or high? I don't know what you mean.

Edit: After reading up a bit. It seems I may be under supplying my card. Need to increase the voltage a bit more than I had. Maybe that's why my Heaven score is a bit low (from the little I just looked up). More experimenting tonight, then. Or maybe my card is limiting itself; it's not downclocking or overheating though. I just can't quite figure out overclocking. Oh well, more to learn.

burgerdog

What's a safe OC for the asus 970 on air? I don't want to push it too hard, something reasonable that could maybe get me 5 to 10 extra frames, if that's all all possible.

hoserx

What's a safe OC for the asus 970 on air? I don't want to push it too hard, something reasonable that could maybe get me 5 to 10 extra frames, if that's all all possible.

you arent going to hurt these cards without seriously overvolting them. Just try different boost amounts until its not stable anymore.

Addnan

Completely lottery based. Just keep going up until unstable then knock it back a bit.

Smokey

That should help me feel better about 1080p at 27".

:x

Best of luck with the Acer though. Don't know what Asus is doing with the Swift in NA. I got lucky and picked mine up from a local Frys, and that was only possible because people on another forum obtained some kind of internal delivery sheet.
Is the Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D still good or should I pick something else?

Good utility.

Kevyt

Does anyone have any experience with zotac cards? How good are they as a brand? Their Zotac amp extreme cards look very enticing but I'm not sure how they compare to EVGA or Gigabyte...

Has anyone bought a zotac card, a 970 or a 980?

I've only tested AC4 and the small Zotac is super silent. I'm just a bit disappointed in the Nvidia control panel. The 970 is my first Nvidia card since the 7800 GTX (remember that? Single slot high-end card! Impossible to do these days) and I got used to the ugly CCC, but I always thought that the build-in OC and temp monitoring was great. The Nvidia CP still looks like Windows XP and that's certainly disappointing.

I used got it and used it a few weeks ago, seemed to work for me.

Good utility.

Thanks, you two. It worked like a charm.

Buburibon

Hey guys and gals, I've just updated Nvidia Inspector to version 1.9.7.3, and noticed the added "Enable Maxwell sample interleaving (MFAA)" option. Needless to mention, I had to try it, so I enabled it to see if it worked.

Well, I'll let you guys tell me if it looks like it does anything... :p

Disabled, with in-game AA disabled:

8C4C786FD97388E025CD0BEC36C26B8540752FC6

Enabled, with in-game AA disabled:

3424523E1E324281B3A021D66C4403D06F4166EB

Would anyone kindly be able to confirm it? Thanks!

Hey guys and gals, I've just updated Nvidia Inspector to version 1.9.7.3, and noticed the added "Enable Maxwell sample interleaving (MFAA)" option. Needless to mention, I had to try it, so I enabled it to see if it worked.

So... it makes it a little bit blurry, more fog, and way more jaggy?
Can't see any difference than that

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

There is definitely some AA happening in the second shot. Look at the base of the weather vane at the top middle, it's super jaggy in shot 1 and pretty clean in the second shot.

Buburibon

So... it makes it a little bit blurry, more fog, and way more jaggy?
Can't see any difference than that

It seems to "correct" some of the aliasing without any measurable performance impact (as far as I can tell), without too much blur. Also, to be fair, Nvidia hasn't officially released it, so I'm just taking it as a preview of what it might be able to accomplish once it's done. :)

There is definitely some AA happening in the second shot. Look at the base of the weather vane at the top middle, it's super jaggy in shot 1 and pretty clean in the second shot.

Exactly, that's the very first thing that caught my attention.

The 970 is pretty great. Beautiful card, quiet as a mouse and nice and powerful. I tested Watch Dogs and wow, ultra textures and no stuttering. Who would have thought it even possible.

What's amazing though is that even with a 970 and a I7-4770, MSAA x4 still causes stuttering with this game. Crazy.

Is there a vsync setting that I need to disable somewhere else? vsync is disabled in the control panel "Vertical sync: off", but my games are still limited to 60 or 62 fps. What's even weirder is that I still get tearing in AC4, after disabling it in the CP.

Buburibon

Is there a vsync setting that I need to disable somewhere else? vsync is disabled in the control panel "Vertical sync: off", but my games are still limited to 60 or 62 fps. What's even weirder is that I still get tearing in AC4, after disabling it in the CP.

Do you to happen to have any frame rate limiters enabled? MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X and Nvidia Inspector all have the option.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538503281437893977/8C4C786FD97388E025CD0BEC36C26B8540752FC6/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538503281437888853/3424523E1E324281B3A021D66C4403D06F4166EB/

Seems to be working well, I tried in BF4, without MSAA you get something like MSAA2x with some dithering on alternate frames, not really visible at 60 FPS (but visible on the GIFs) :

4FOPvw.png
cfbZX6.gif

PGEtqw.png
rXDAdV.gif

oZKJgk.png
drvgrN.gif

Looks like it only works in DX11 games, I'll let this on for games without AA.

Kevyt

Does anyone have any experience with zotac cards? How good are they as a brand? Their Zotac amp extreme cards look very enticing but I'm not sure how they compare to EVGA or Gigabyte...

Has anyone bought a zotac card, a 970 or a 980?

I just did some research on Zotac and they're a Chinese-based brand that's part PC Partners LTD. PC Partners are a Hong Kong company with their own production facilities and manufacturing processes. They own Zotac, Inno3D and Manli. Both of which are chinese brands that make various types of PC Hardware including GPU's. Zotac seems to be the brand that seems to be going more mainstream and gaining more regoniction than its other two siblings, it's becoming popular here in the west.

But check this out, here is the Inno3D iChill GF GTX 980:

products_id_125_2.jpg

products_id_125_1.jpg

It reminds me of a toy, like a transformer robot... lol But the card seems to very solid, it has a memory overclock of 7200 MHZ. A decent base clock of 1266 and boost clock of 1367. Anyways I think the card looks very cool, and it does something I think is amazing:

products_id_125_3.JPG

The heat sink and heat pipes dissipate the heat sideways when the card is plugged in and there is a small exhaust fan the "airboss." It looks very cool (pun intended) I would love to see a review of this card and some benchmarks. Looks like Chinese brands will some day overtake the GPU after cooler market.

Do you to happen to have any frame rate limiters enabled? MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X and Nvidia Inspector all have the option.

I did install MSI Afterburner, but I think I already had this issue with AC4, before I installed it to monitor the temperatures during 3D Mark. The vsync setting in the CP was set on "Use the 3D application setting" and I turned vsync off in AC4. Now I turned it off globally and it still doesn't go over 60. I've tested it with less demanding games like Rock of Ages and it's limited to 62 fps as well. Hotline Miami (which I only wanted to test and played for 30 minutes anyway) runs with locked 60, too. AC2 is capped to 59.

Now I tested Bioshock Infinite and it runs unlocked with up to 150 fps. It's the same for 3D Mark Sky Diver. I don't understand this.

Gold Member
I did install MSI Afterburner, but I think I already had this issue with AC4, before I installed it to monitor the temperatures during 3D Mark. The vsync setting in the CP was set on "Use the 3D application setting" and I turned vsync off in AC4. Now I turned it off globally and it still doesn't go over 60. I've tested it with less demanding games like Rock of Ages and it's limited to 62 fps as well. Hotline Miami (which I only wanted to test and played for 30 minutes anyway) runs with locked 60, too. AC2 is capped to 59.

Now I tested Bioshock Infinite and it runs unlocked with up to 150 fps. It's the same for 3D Mark Sky Diver. I don't understand this.
Have you altered the individual program settings for VSync in the control panel? Or in NVidia Inspector perhaps? I think if you set those to On then it will override the global setting.

Have you altered the individual program settings for VSync in the control panel? Or in NVidia Inspector perhaps? I think if you set those to On then it will override the global setting.

I haven't done any of that. I removed the old remaining drivers with DDU, put the 970 in, installed the 344.16 and ran AC4 for the first time. And then I did everything I've described in the other post (Afterburner install, 3D Mark, etc). I just now got NV Inspector to check if there's anything else in the driver, but that's not the case either.

I feel like I'm not seeing something obvious.

ds29cro.png

MSgbAVp.png

e: I haven't found anything else that looks like a vsync setting in the GeForce Experience program.

Buburibon

Seems to be working well, I tried in BF4, without MSAA you get something like MSAA2x with some dithering on alternate frames, not really visible at 60 FPS (but visible on the GIFs) :

4FOPvw.png
cfbZX6.gif

PGEtqw.png
rXDAdV.gif

oZKJgk.png
drvgrN.gif

Looks like it only works in DX11 games, I'll let this on for games without AA.

Thank you for taking the time to test it. Yes, it does seem to work well with DX11 games. In fact, I'm currently using it with Shadow Of Mordor, and it definitely helps to improve the IQ.

According to the following thread on Steam, there's a good chance AC:IV is capped at ~60fps.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/242050/discussions/0/666826703315556344/

Gold Member
I haven't done any of that. I removed the old remaining drivers with DDU, put the 970 in, installed the 344.16 and ran AC4 for the first time. And then I did everything I've described in the other post (Afterburner install, 3D Mark, etc). I just now got NV Inspector to check if there's anything else in the driver, but that's not the case either.

e: I haven't found anything else that looks like a vsync setting in the GeForce Experience program.

Click that program settings tab and double check there for AC4, if it appears. The fact you said you are getting tearing in your earlier post suggests to me it's off though. Try setting everything to 'low' and lower your resolution in AC4 and see if that makes a difference.

Failing that, I would try reinstalling the driver using the 'perform clean installation' option to see if that solves it.

pestul

Is the Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D still good or should I pick something else?
Yep, just make sure you get the newest versions. They're updating these all the time. When I switch from AMD to Nvidia, I'm going to uninstall the drivers normally and then run DDU in safe mode... power down and swap the cards. Then install the latest Nvidia has to offer.

jrcbandit

When using DSR is there a specific AA type I should be using along with it? Also is there a way to custom resolutions with DSR? I need to overclock my monitor to 100Hz which the Nvidia control panel lets me do with a custom res. The alternative is to patch the drivers and use CRU.

Gold Member

Actually what Burburibon said is right. I just checked and the other games you mentioned also have a FPS cap so it's probably working as intended :)

Icarus

970 Windforce was backordered at Amazon but I placed an order anyway. I had a nice gift card burning a hole in my pocket that brought my cost down to $145. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well, I officially gave up on my 2 970s because suppliers have no fucking idea when they will have them now, I can only imagine because "lolportugalwhatsthat"

so Im getting a lone 980 now (which are available) with my new rig...I just want my rig now :/ hopefully the lone 980 wont be too gimped in comparison, keeping in mind I only want to do 1080p anyway

Heh, games with FPS cap. I would've never noticed that with my old GPU, so I guess that's why I was so confused. Thank you very much for the help, guys.

Gold Member
well, I officially gave up on my 2 970s because suppliers have no fucking idea when they will have them now, I can only imagine because "lolportugalwhatsthat"

so Im getting a lone 980 now (which are available) with my new rig...I just want my rig now :/ hopefully the lone 980 wont be too gimped in comparison, keeping in mind I only want to do 1080p anyway
I doubt you will be disappointed, the 980 is really great card. It has handled everything I've thrown at it including Shadows of Mordor on Ultra with a small downsample. I'm really impressed by it. Plus you can always stick another one in there later on if you're feeling flush ;)

Mind you, can you not just import the 970's from somewhere else in EU?

Heh, games with FPS cap. I would've never noticed that with my old GPU, so I guess that's why I was so confused. Thank you very much for the help, guys.
Lol no worries :)

I found this when I was looking up Rock of Ages, it may help you remove the cap if you want to.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114621

Thrakier

You can get a single 970 to run on 980 standard level pretty easily as it seems....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I doubt you will be disappointed, the 980 is really great card. It has handled everything I've thrown at it including Shadows of Mordor on Ultra with a small downsample. I'm really impressed by it. Plus you can always stick another one in there later on if you're feeling flush ;)

Mind you, can you not just import the 970's from somewhere else in EU?

get crazy expensive when importing because of stupid high shipping costs and just general premium price on the cards right now (I imagine because they are so rare), plus its hard to find them (for example, amazon.co.uk doesnt have them from actualy amazon, they have from other sellers on amazon which then doesnt ship internationally)

Last time I checked, importing 2 970s would end up costime me like the same price as a titan here, or almost the same price as 2 980s, its stupid

Knowing all my shit is ready just waiting for the gpu is kiling me and I just want it over with.

edit: also, im a lazy fuck, and a technological noob, so I just want to press a big MAX SETTINGS button on a game and run it, I dont even intend to mess with downsampling or all that jazz :/

Gold Member
get crazy expensive when importing because of stupid high shipping costs and just general premium price on the cards right now (I imagine because they are so rare), plus its hard to find them (for example, amazon.co.uk doesnt have them from actualy amazon, they have from other sellers on amazon which then doesnt ship internationally)

Last time I checked, importing 2 970s would end up costime me like the same price as a titan here, or almost the same price as 2 980s, its stupid

Knowing all my shit is ready just waiting for the gpu is kiling me and I just want it over with.
Yeah I can understand that, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to these things too. Those prices sound crazy though, wow!

Rhaknar

Yeah I can understand that, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to these things too. Those prices sound crazy though, wow!

are you not familiar with the $=€lol rule? :)

hell even here those 970s were going to be 370€ each. the 980 is 5...err...579€ or something im not sure. PC components are ridiculous in europe

Top Bottom