• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

As it's been stated numerous times too, how often did sabers actually slide down each other instead of sticking?
This is why I think it's an offensive addition, used for disarming the enemy. Lock sabers and hook it out of your opponent's hands with the crossguard.

"That ball droid is so dumb and impractical! Looks nothing like star wars!"

4DPYp9l.jpg

NekoFever

Do people actually think the rolling droid is impractical? It's far better equipped for getting around uneven terrain like on Tattooine than either R2 or 3PO.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
About cannon. I hope they don't mention midichlorians. Does anyone like that addition to the lore from the prequels? It takes away the mysterious nature of the Force. It's also hinted that Anakin was literally conceived by midichlorians. I mean WTF, Lucas.

Sanctuary

About cannon. I hope they don't mention midichlorians. Does anyone like that addition to the lore from the prequels? It takes away the mysterious nature of the Force. It's also hinted that Anakin was literally conceived by midichlorians. I man WTF, Lucas.

No, because of what's underlined. That explanation took the fantasy out of the Space-Opera/Fantasy. Star Wars was never the kind of sci-fi that has plausibility.

Real Hero

About cannon. I hope they don't mention midichlorians. Does anyone like that addition to the lore from the prequels? It takes away the mysterious nature of the Force. It's also hinted that Anakin was literally conceived by midichlorians. I mean WTF, Lucas.
Midicholarians weren't even acknowledged in the prequels after PM so I doubt a director who probably hates the concept decides to bring them up.

Were they even mentioned in Episodes II and III?

EDIT: beaten like Gasgano in a podrace

"Some danger" for some "additional safety".
Logic?
The danger is self-injury. The safety is not having your arm sliced the fuck off by an opposing light-saber wielder.

This Jedi/Sith apparently analysed the risks/benefits of his weapon and found that the increased safety the cross-guard provides is worth the elevated risk.

That is to say, if he concluded that there is a 20% greater risk of self-injury, but an 80% greater block chance...he believes himself skilled enough to take on that 20% risk to keep himself ultimately safer in any saber fights.

Why is that such a difficult concept for you to grasp? Time of day?

Since they are Jedi, and they don't think about risks like we would as you say, they wouldn't need the crossguard in the first place (if that's what it actually is). As it's been stated numerous times too, how often did sabers actually slide down each other instead of sticking? This is just another JJ lens flare. I happen to like almost everything he's done, but this is just weak.
I like it. Sorry you don't. Moving on.

I hope things like laser pistols (lol!) and non-aerodynamic shape of the Millennium Falcon and Tie Fighters flying around inside of a planet's atmosphere (without any sort of retrorockets or downward pointing engines) don't ruin your day too. Considering how critical you are about such "logical" things, I suspect they will if you think about them...and I'm sorry for your loss.

Ishida

Banned

I don't like it. But I don't hate it either.

I mean, midichlorians didn't change a thing about the nature of the Force itself, they only "explain" how living things can tap into it. I understand why people hate the concept, but personally I don't mind.

Sanctuary

Were they even mentioned in Episodes II and III?

EDIT: beaten like Gasgano in a podrace

Didn't Palpatine discuss it with Anakin in RotS?

I hope things like laser pistols (lol!) and non-aerodynamic shape of the Millennium Falcon and Tie Fighters flying around inside of a planet's atmosphere (without any sort of retrorockets or downward pointing engines) don't ruin your day too. Considering how critical you are about such "logical" things, I suspect they will if you think about them...and I'm sorry for your loss.

Never bothered me when I saw Episode IV for the first time at the theater when I was five, and having watched the original trilogy at least fifteen times since probably just made me not care once I was old enough to realize how none of that would work. Actually though, the first thing that railed against my logic was RoTJ and how the Carebears defeated the Empire. Replacing Wookies with Carebears made it my least favorite of the original three by far. I still hate that aspect even now.

Problem is, a large portion of the Star Wars fanbase are not children any longer and I doubt Episode VII is being developed strictly for kids alone.

lifa-cobex

I personally love the new light-saber look.
To me, Jedia and sith are old knights of a certain order from a by gone age.
(Not including episodes one, two or three) *shudders

download.jpg

Having a cross guard adds to this for me.
I cold totally see Vader having one in his fight with Luke in Empire.

Myriadis

That's the first time I actually saw that trailer. How did I miss that?

Looks fairly good, actually. The falcon scene was pretty nice.

Sanctuary

I personally love the new light-saber look.
To me, Jedia and sith are old knights of a certain order from a by gone age.
(Not including episodes one, two or three) *shudders

download.jpg

Having a cross guard adds to this for me.
I cold totally see Vader having one in his fight with Luke in Empire.

They were based off of Samurai.

Scrooged

Midicholarians weren't even acknowledged in the prequels after PM so I doubt a director who probably hates the concept decides to bring them up.

Yeah they are. Palpaltine talked to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith about Darth Plagueis and his manipulation of midichlorians to create life.

Sanctuary

But to me, They were knights.

Knights that did not wear any kind of armor, didn't use any shields and used swords that were closer to this:

appraising-antique-samurai-sword.jpg

Other than that, totally knights I guess? Did KOTOR just throw you off somehow?

Technically Samurai were a kind of knight, just not the typical medieval/European kind.

Cloudy

Banned
Not a Star Wars guy (I've only seen Episode 1 and it's still the only movie I ever dozed off in) but I really don't get "crossguardgate". Based on lightsabers clashing, it would function as intended, right?

Also, what kind of lame jedi would get cut by his own sword?

I like JJ Abrams and him being involved is my main reason for being interested in this :)

lifa-cobex

Knights that did not wear any kind of armor, didn't use any shields and used swords that were closer to this:

appraising-antique-samurai-sword.jpg

Other than that, totally knights I guess?

What would armor do against a light saber?

I was about 7 when I watched the first Star Wars trilogy. It's just the way I saw it.
It's probably because of the way Vader looks like a black knight.
That and the sword battles were proper cool back then. So much tension and focus.

Midichlorians were more if a technical element that the Jedi tried to use to measure how in-tune someone was with the Force but it's not an explanation of the Force itself. I never thought it took away anything. I don't feel like I know much more about the Force because of them and because I see the Force as a much higher power than what Midichlorians could explain.

Lucas never intended it to be an explanation but rather just a tad more insight. I think the complaints about it were overblown and people jumped to the conclusion that they ARE the Force, but they're not.

Scrooged

Midichlorians were more if a technical element that the Jedi tried to use to measure how in-tune someone was with the Force but it's not an explanation of the Force itself. I never thought it took away anything. I don't feel like I know much more about the Force because of them and because I see the Force as a much higher power than what Midichlorians could explain.

Lucas never intended it to be an explanation but rather just a tad more insight. I think the complaints about it were overblown and people jumped to the conclusion that they ARE the Force, but they're not.

It's still completely unnecessary. Why can't beings just be 'in tune' to the force naturally? It's like a middle man for the Force that was added just to make it more scientific and quantifiable. Oh, and a plot element to explain Anakin's miraculous conception. Ugh.

The Adder

Banned
"Some danger" for some "additional safety".
Logic?

Since they are Jedi, and they don't think about risks like we would as you say, they wouldn't need the crossguard in the first place (if that's what it actually is). As it's been stated numerous times too, how often did sabers actually slide down each other instead of sticking? This is just another JJ lens flare. I happen to like almost everything he's done, but this is just weak.

How many force users have lost fights due to having their hand(s) removed by their opponents? How many have lost by cutting themselves with their own weapon (and Maul's is far more unwieldy than this thing).

To a force user, another force user taking a limb is a real danger, accidentally cutting themselves is not. Adding more ways in which you could accidentally cut yourself is aa far smaller risk when compared to the reward of preventing someone from taking your hand.

My only complaint is the lack of upward angle.

Ishida

Banned
It's still completely unnecessary. Why can't beings just be 'in tune' to the force naturally? It's like a middle man for the Force that was added just to make it more scientific and quantifiable. Oh, and a plot element to explain Anakin's miraculous conception. Ugh.

Because George Lucas decided it. And that's the story he wanted to tell.

Crisco

Banned
That is one thing I would like to see, a more realistic saber fighting style. The original trilogy was ok, but all that flipping around and theatrical swordplay in the prequels would only increase your chances of cutting yourself(or an ally) in half. Sabers should be handled more like dual wielded double edged claymores with very measured swings.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Leaked pics of the McQuarrie Jabba Palace gate from the set of VII hit the web months ago...

leaked-star-wars-episode-vii-onset-photos-jabbas-palace-gate.jpg

So yes, that is exactly where she is heading. ;)

That looks great. I really hope the movie won't be a nauseating CG fest.

I don't have a problem with Anakin's conception and yes I agree it's not necessary but I think it goes along the lines of painting the Jedi and their arrogance/ego which got them fucked over. They're more spiritual in the originals because they followed Qui-Gon's teachings after he had become one with the Force when he died. The Midichlorians and other such things were a product of a time when the Jedi thought they knew everything, including what they thought they knew about the Force.

Woorloog

Banned
Midichlorians: perhaps the old Republic era Jedi Knights needed a scientific explanation for their abilities, instead of merely being... in tune with them? Like, they needed a proof of their superiority. Old Yoda and Obi-Wan do express somewhat different attitudes toward the Force, i think, perhaps they did change their minds.

EDIT The old Republic Jedi didn't have faith really, only knowledge and arrogance.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I see midichloreans as the result of an attempt to portray the Jedi order when they were large, official, and highly organized. So midichloreans were an example of "Jedi science" like the secrets of constructing a light saber.

The way it was handled was awkward and too closely attached to Anakin's christlike origin.

Ishida

Banned
I don't have a problem with Anakin's conception and yes I agree it's not necessary but I think it goes along the lines of painting the Jedi and their arrogance/ego which got them fucked over. They're more spiritual in the originals because they followed Qui-Gon's teachings after he had become one with the Force when he died. The Midichlorians and other such things were a product of a time when the Jedi thought they knew everything, including what they thought they knew about the Force.

This is EXACTLY how I see it.

Midichlorians: perhaps the old Republic era Jedi Knights needed a scientific explanation for their abilities, instead of merely being... in tune with them? Like, they needed a proof of their superiority. Old Yoda and Obi-Wan do express somewhat different attitudes toward the Force, i think, perhaps they did change their minds.

They changed their minds once they got their asses handed to them and Yoda tells Obi-Wan about how they can communicate with Qui-Gon through the Force. I think it's pretty clear that Qui-Gon illuminated them about the Force while they were in exile and why Luke was trained in a much more spiritual fashion.

lifa-cobex

That is one thing I would like to see, a more realistic saber fighting style. The original trilogy was ok, but all that flipping around and theatrical swordplay in the prequels would only increase your chances of cutting yourself(or an ally) in half. Sabers should be handled more like dual wielded double edged claymores with very measured swings.

Totally agree
It takes away all emotion and tension from the fights.
Pretty to look at but kills all purpose and reasoning to the fight itself.

The prequel fights felt like ballet recitals with glowing sticks.

Not a Star Wars guy (I've only seen Episode 1 and it's still the only movie I ever dozed off in) but I really don't get "crossguardgate". Based on lightsabers clashing, it would function as intended, right?

Also, what kind of lame jedi would get cut by his own sword?

I like JJ Abrams and him being involved is my main reason for being interested in this :)

t9krc4yurt8aenrzmg0v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom