• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Composer John Williams Walks Back His Own Retirement Talk At 91

ManaByte

Gold Member

“If a film came along that I was greatly interested in, with a schedule that I could cope with, then I wouldn’t want to rule anything out. Everything is possible. All is before us. Only our limitations are holding us back. Or, to put it more simply: I like to keep an open mind.”

People are speculating it's because they're going to start filming the "New Jedi Order" movie in the spring, and Williams only did TLJ and TROS because he didn't want anyone else composing music for Rey.
Happy The Last Jedi GIF by Star Wars

Audio of his interview.
"Rey, of course, is played by Daisy Ridley, who I so loved in The Force Awakens. And last year, when [Lucasfilm president] Kathy Kennedy rang me up and said, ‘Would you do the last music for The Last Jedi?’ I said to her, ‘Is Daisy in it?’ and she said yes, so I said yes.”

diffusionx

Gold Member
For a lot of people, retirement actually sucks and is a bad thing. It's not like he is a coal miner with a wrecked body. As long as his brain works he can compose music. Now as for Star Wars, who cares at this point, it's trash. But I am sure that he will be able to find work.

YCoCg

'Walks back' is this some gen z rubbish?
You've never heard the term Walks Back, Walk It Back, Back peddles, Back peddling? Those are terms that have been around for a long time. Of course we all know the famous Gen Z band R.E.M who even did a song about it...

Great he's doing more work

Bad it's gonna be a new horrific woke star wars project
It's so sad that we all know what future projects are going to be like, all of them containing "The Message" and it looks like that's never going to go away. It will actually just get worse.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
For a lot of people, retirement actually sucks and is a bad thing. It's not like he is a coal miner with a wrecked body. As long as his brain works he can compose music. Now as for Star Wars, who cares at this point, it's trash. But I am sure that he will be able to find work.

The pace that composers for film have to work at is no joke though, for a man of his vintage I'd expect it to be a big undertaking.

As for being sure that he will be able to find work, yes, I would think that the most celebrated film composer of all time probably won't struggle to work if he wants to. 😉

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was watching the movie midway starring Charlton Heston. John Williams did the score. man is prolific.

Top Bottom