• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2010. OB64. US. Now.

BooJoh

At 80 coins I'll get it for sure. I'll easily make platinum status this year and nothing else they have right now really jumps out at me.

Capndrake

For Japan next week:
-Gofer no Yabou Episode II (MSX, Konami)
-Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX, Konami)

Next month:
-Darius Twin (SFC, Taito)
-Fatal Fury 3 (Neo Geo, D4 Enterprise)
-Mr. Do! (VCA, Hamster)
-Pilotwings (SFC, Nintendo)
-Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo, D4 Enterprise)

Also, Europe got the same Game & Watch games NA did on DSiWare today.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Capndrake said:
For Japan next week:

Next month:
-Mr. Do! (VCA, Hamster)

Oh My God!!!!!! That's what I'm talking about. I never thought Waku Waku 7 was going to see a release on the VC. Then Fatal Fury 3!! Neo Geo is definitely representing (in Japan).

Capndrake said:
For Japan next week:

Next month:
-Mr. Do! (VCA, Hamster)

No sign of Mario Party :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Somnid said:
Does nobody remember Mario Party lawsuits and recall?

there was a lawsuit and recall? I don't remember either. I remember the gloves they issued though.

sfog

levious said:
there was a lawsuit and recall? I don't remember either. I remember the gloves they issued though.

The gloves were issued as a result of the lawsuit (from people injuring their hands on the stick rotating games). I don't remember it actually being recalled though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't remember an actual lawsuit happening though, just the word tossed around and complaints about blisters. Was a lawsuit actually filed?

I like how everyone keeps posting about the stick spinning issue, when they forget that Mario 64 also had the stick spinning and is available on the VC. Not to mention that the damage was mainly due to the material used on the N64 control stick (GCN/CC controllers use rubber rather than hard plastic) and that a disclaimer, telling people not to abuse the stick using their palms, could easily be put into the instruction manual or just before the game starts (like the seizure warning screen) if it still proved to be an issue.

There's nothing stopping the game from getting released, Nintendo just don't want to release it yet.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit. EU finally got Ogre Battle 64? That means we (US) might actually get it on Monday! Brilliant!

Just a little note that yesterday, March 25th, 2010 was the one year anniversary of.....well, I made a little "commemorative" pic to help jog the memory. ;)

indiana-jones-fridge-neverforget-1.jpg

Somnid

Nuclear Muffin said:
I like how everyone keeps posting about the stick spinning issue, when they forget that Mario 64 also had the stick spinning and is available on the VC. Not to mention that the damage was mainly due to the material used on the N64 control stick (GCN/CC controllers use rubber rather than hard plastic) and that a disclaimer, telling people not to abuse the stick using their palms, could easily be put into the instruction manual or just before the game starts (like the seizure warning screen) if it still proved to be an issue.

There's nothing stopping the game from getting released, Nintendo just don't want to release it yet.

Don't be silly. It wasn't an issue with Mario 64 because not many people used their palm, and not for a prolonged period. Mario Party was full of it, and it became a very serious issue. While it was exacerbated by the hard plastic of the N64 stick it's still got to be a lingering concern and they wouldn't want it to happen again.

This OFLC rating for Spin Six.

Spin Six must equal KuruKuru Action: KuruPachi 6

KuruKuru Action: KuruPachi 6 = Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian (well the best part of it anyway).

Funily enough I posted about that game last week so a quick copypata:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20360352&postcount=412 said:
925933_62054_front.jpg

Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian. The boxart really caught my and I noticed it cheap on Play-Asia a few years ago and so found out a bit more and decided to jump in. Also worth noting for Japanese DSi owners an expanded version of the best mode in the game got released as the "KuruKuru Action: KuruPachi 6" on DSiWare about a year ago. Here is some footage. (from the GBA version). It is made by Creatures Inc (who you might have heard of...)
So why the hunch? Well even you can guess from you looking at the video as you build the numbers up to 6 and you do so by spinning 2*2 grids of them. Plus Creatures inc...pretty much seals it.

I suppose I better throw a link to the Japanese DSiWare page. There is also a video on the left page. The second mode shown isn't in the GBA game (hence why I say it is expanded).

I'm pleased DSiWare provides a home to these sorts of game. I'd say it isn't as good value as Suujin Taisen: Number Battles is but it is still a fun action puzzle game to sink some time into now and again.

D.Lo

Agent Unknown said:
Just a little note that yesterday, March 25th, 2010 was the one year anniversary of.....well, I made a little "commemorative" pic to help jog the memory. ;)

indiana-jones-fridge-neverforget-1.jpg
:lol

Just bought my first VC game, Kirby's Adventure for the NES.

When I exit the game (press the home button) and return to it later, it creates a save state that is exactly where I left off.
Problem is, there are 2 of us in the house playing the game, how do we chose our own files (like I was able to when I first started the game)?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ipukespiders said:

When I exit the game (press the home button) and return to it later, it creates a save state that is exactly where I left off.
Problem is, there are 2 of us in the house playing the game, how do we chose our own files (like I was able to when I first started the game)?

You don't. It saves the state of the last time it was played.

Also if you press the Off switch on the controller without pressing the Home button and quitting to the Wii Menu like that, then it doesn't save a state at all. I found this out the hard way during a particularly frustrating play of Castlevania. ;_;

EDIT: Oh okay, I completely misunderstood your question, sorry!

BooJoh

ipukespiders said:

Kirby's Adventure had multiple battery backed saves, right? If so then it should keep those in addition to the save state. Just save your game the way you would on an NES, then exit to the title screen. If you can't exit to the title screen from within the game, you should be able to reset from the home menu and then choose another file to play.

BooJoh said:
Kirby's Adventure had multiple battery backed saves, right? If so then it should keep those in addition to the save state. Just save your game the way you would on an NES, then exit to the title screen. If you can't exit to the title screen from within the game, you should be able to reset from the home menu and then choose another file to play.

aaaaaahh I see. I think that's it. Thanks!

hiro4

Holy shit!!! Ogre battle 64!!
Finally I can play this again. And in English none the less.

Can't wait to get my fav chars back togethe

Oxx

I downloaded OB64 as soon as it came up on Thursday night, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Is it a long game? I just sped through Tales of Symphonia 2 in about a week, so I'm not sure how receptive I'll be to another meaty quest.

Culex

Banned
Oxx said:
I downloaded OB64 as soon as it came up on Thursday night, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Is it a long game? I just sped through Tales of Symphonia 2 in about a week, so I'm not sure how receptive I'll be to another meaty quest.

Close to 70 hours on your first run if you've never played it before. There are TONS of branching choices/characters you interact with, it's never the same game twice. One of finest SRPG's that very few people got to play.

US VERSION WHERE ART THOU?!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Culex said:
Close to 70 hours on your first run if you've never played it before. There are TONS of branching choices/characters you interact with, it's never the same game twice. One of finest SRPG's that very few people got to play.

US VERSION WHERE ART THOU?!

Is it suitable for someone who loves Fire Emblem (beat all the US released ones, also Path of Radiance on Maniac) but didn't like FFTactics Advance and finds most srpg too deep in stats/rules? I've never played this much talked series, not even the SFC one (which I ws on the verge of buying when it released on the VC, but I forgot pretty soon).

Also, how similar it is to Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (GBA)?
A friend of mine has it so maybe I could try that one before, if it's the same gameplay and everything.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
just dropping by to say tantalus' drift street international beats the heck out of gameloft's asphalt as the racing game on dsiware. actually DSI so nice i'd place it among the top of the ds racers, right after firebrand's titles. really nice sense of contact between car and road, top notch engine sounds, and enjoyable drifting mechanics. also, the game does not look like an abomination.

upandaway said:
Looks really damn 2011.

I'm not trusting Nicalis with anything anymore.
I'm pretty sure Nigoro's doing the actual remake and Nicalis is just publishing (and maybe doing the translation), so it shouldn't suffer from the same problems as Cave Story Wii.

Culex

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Is it suitable for someone who loves Fire Emblem (beat all the US released ones, also Path of Radiance on Maniac) but didn't like FFTactics Advance and finds most srpg too deep in stats/rules? I've never played this much talked series, not even the SFC one (which I ws on the verge of buying when it released on the VC, but I forgot pretty soon).

A friend of mine has it so maybe I could try that one before, if it's the same gameplay and everything.

It's hard to describe. You can freely move your units across each map, unlike in Fire Emblem. However, during battle, you have very little control over battles, except for your elementals later in the game. The game centers around your unit placement and equipment. I'd say it's far different than FFTactics.

upandaway

nincompoop said:
I'm pretty sure Nigoro's doing the actual remake and Nicalis is just publishing (and maybe doing the translation), so it shouldn't suffer from the same problems as Cave Story Wii.
That's nice to hear, thanks.

Koren

Dash Kappei said:

They are nothing alike. There's two kind of Ogre:
- Tactics Ogre (Let's cling together and Knight of Lodis), which is a FFT-like, although I prefer the ogre games personally
- Ogre battle (March of the Black Queen and this one, Person of Lordly Caliber) which have different mechanics:

There's two parts, one is a map in real time, you assign objectives to the groups you control, and try to capture ennemies stronghold, avoiding to lose yours. There's a night/day system, and you have to think about your troops being tired and so on.
Then, when your group encounter an ennemy group, there's a very short battle (2-3 turns for each unit in each group) where you have very little control over (attack weakest, attack leader, attack strongest), where the game compute which group is victorious. The one that lose is pushed back on the map.

Most of the strategy is on the map: you can, try, for example, to set-up traps for pinch attacks, where the backguard of your opponent will be in their front lines (slaughter for the sorcerers ;) ). And on the unit managment.

There's a wonderful class-system, a great story (so complex and detailed that the game allow you to read again past events if you want), and really good music, especially for N64. This game is a must-have if you like strategy games. But it's really like nothing else... By the way, *do the tutorial*.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ogre battle 64 :eek:.

NOA, put this up tomorrow :O

edit: And it would be more appropraite to say that the FFT games are Tactics Ogre-like.

apujanata

Since I liked Ogre Battle SNES, even though it is too slow for my taste, I am definitely going to buy OB64, since it seems faster than the SNES version. Any changes between SNES version and N64 version ?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
apujanata said:
Since I liked Ogre Battle SNES, even though it is too slow for my taste, I am definitely going to buy OB64, since it seems faster than the SNES version. Any changes between SNES version and N64 version ?
elemental attributes:
March of the Black Queen had fire, ice, lightning, black, white, and physical.
OB64: Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Virtue, Bane, and non-elemental attacks.

Character creation/recruitment: In March of the Black Queen, you can recruit characters with unit leaders when they rest in strongholds. In Ogre battle 64, you have about 30 NPCs that you can recruit through story events, story choices, alignment, doing certain things on certain maps, stuff like that (and of course you can't recruit every NPC in one playthrough :p). You build non-npc characters by upgrading them from a sort of prototype "soldier" class. And, of course, you can recruit monsters on completed maps, too.

Class System:
In OB SNES, classes had a deployment cost that increased with their level, and class requirements were based mainly on charisma and alignment
In Ogre Battle 64, the deployment cost is removed, but class requirements are based on available equipment, alignment, and various character stats.

Items/Equipment:
In OB SNES, you had a large item and equipment pool that anyone could access at any time, and use pretty much any item or equipment at any time.

In ogre battle 64, different class types can use different items and equipment, and each unit can carry only a certain number of items with it on a misssion

Lots of tweaks like these.

Mr Rivuz

Just bought Ogre Battle 64.
Finally after 11 years i can play this game that never made it to euroland. :D
Just tried the first easy mission, now i'll go with the tutorial or i think i wouldnt last long in real battles :D

Instro

Man I bought 2000 Wii points for Cave Story and Rondo of Blood, grabbed CS and then found out Rondo is 900 points not 800. :(

Culex

Banned
Mr Rivuz said:
Just bought Ogre Battle 64.
Finally after 11 years i can play this game that never made it to euroland. :D
Just tried the first easy mission, now i'll go with the tutorial or i think i wouldnt last long in real battles :D

Just out of curiosity, how many blocks does it take up? I'm down to 270 blocks.

Interesting, NOA are now letting you purchase select Wii Ware and VC games from their official site!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._available_for_purchase_on_nintendos_web_site

Basically, you buy a code from their website (like what Amazon do) and you put the Wii download ticket code into the console, letting you buy the games by spending the exact amount of money you want (not having to fill up your Wii shop wallet!)

Right now they've got Pokemon Rumble and Mario Bros 3 available to purchase (probably just as a test to see if it's popular and/or is working properly)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nuclear Muffin said:
Interesting, NOA are now letting you purchase select Wii Ware and VC games from their official site!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._available_for_purchase_on_nintendos_web_site

Basically, you buy a code from their website (like what Amazon do) and you put the Wii download ticket code into the console, letting you buy the games by spending the exact amount of money you want (not having to fill up your Wii shop wallet!)

Right now they've got Pokemon Rumble and Mario Bros 3 available to purchase (probably just as a test to see if it's popular and/or is working properly)
Dear Nintendo,

Yes.

Sincerely,
Htown

apujanata

GaimeGuy said:
elemental attributes:
March of the Black Queen had fire, ice, lightning, black, white, and physical.
OB64: Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Virtue, Bane, and non-elemental attacks.

Character creation/recruitment: In March of the Black Queen, you can recruit characters with unit leaders when they rest in strongholds. In Ogre battle 64, you have about 30 NPCs that you can recruit through story events, story choices, alignment, doing certain things on certain maps, stuff like that (and of course you can't recruit every NPC in one playthrough :p). You build non-npc characters by upgrading them from a sort of prototype "soldier" class. And, of course, you can recruit monsters on completed maps, too.

Class System:
In OB SNES, classes had a deployment cost that increased with their level, and class requirements were based mainly on charisma and alignment
In Ogre Battle 64, the deployment cost is removed, but class requirements are based on available equipment, alignment, and various character stats.

Items/Equipment:
In OB SNES, you had a large item and equipment pool that anyone could access at any time, and use pretty much any item or equipment at any time.

In ogre battle 64, different class types can use different items and equipment, and each unit can carry only a certain number of items with it on a misssion

Lots of tweaks like these.
The character changes and class system changes is very good.
The Items/Equipment changes are not as good, but not a hindrance/negative point.
Once you finish OB64, can you have Savegame+ ? And what was carried over in this savegame+ ? Only NPC, or does it also include item and/or level ?

Seems like I can dedicate hundreds of hours into this game. Go Go SRPG (and Fire Emblem DS in the future).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Koren said:
They are nothing alike. There's two kind of Ogre[...]

Really appreciate it, it's a pretty damn good and explanatory post.
I'll do the tutorial of course, thanks again (and to Culex) buddy!

I'll report back :)

Culex

Banned
apujanata said:
The character changes and class system changes is very good.
The Items/Equipment changes are not as good, but not a hindrance/negative point.
Once you finish OB64, can you have Savegame+ ? And what was carried over in this savegame+ ? Only NPC, or does it also include item and/or level ?

Seems like I can dedicate hundreds of hours into this game. Go Go SRPG (and Fire Emblem DS in the future).

There is no "new game+" or "save game+". There are multiple endings/ending missions to do, so there's a ton of replay value in starting over again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: WIIWARE AND WARIOWARE JOIN FORCES FOR MAXIMUM DOWNLOADABLE EXCITEMENT

March 29, 2010

Wario™ may be known as a troublemaker, but this week he deserves a friendly high-five for helping to deliver a mother lode of downloadable fun for Wii™ owners. The new WarioWare™: D.I.Y. Showcase game for the WiiWare™ service lets users with broadband Internet access download all kinds of outrageous content, from music and microgames to four-panel digital comics – some created by users themselves. Meanwhile, a classic RPG has arrived on the Virtual Console™ service, while Nintendo DSiWare™ users will find new ways to tune musical instruments, rescue turtles, launch their own fireworks display and more.

This week also marks the kickoff of Nintendo's WarioWare: D.I.Y. "Big Name Games" series. Several of the industry's most talented game designers are using WarioWare: D.I.Y. software for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems to create their own one-of-a-kind microgames. New microgames will be added every Monday through July 26, all available for download to anyone with broadband Internet access and a copy of either WarioWare: D.I.Y. for Nintendo DS or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase software for the WiiWare service. The series gets underway with inventive new microgames from Super Smash Bros.™ creator Masahiro Sakurai and Metroid™ designer Yoshio Sakamoto. To learn more about the games and view an exclusive behind-the-scenes video featuring Masahiro Sakurai, visit http://www.wariowarediy.com.

And just for Club Nintendo™ members, we've got a little something extra to offer this week. Starting March 31, members can redeem 80 Coins to download Grill-Off with Ultra Hand!™, a wild game for the Wii console that challenges players to cook a variety of meats with an extendable arm. What better way to prepare for barbecue season than some fast-paced grilling drills on your Wii system? For a taste of the action, visit http://grilloff.nintendo.com.

WiiWare

WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: The frantic fun of WarioWare is available for the first time on the WiiWare service! WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase shows off all the different elements found on the WarioWare: D.I.Y. game for the Nintendo DS family of systems. The WiiWare software includes microgames, music and four-panel comics – all with simple controls using only the Wii Remote™ controller. Use the Game Blender and its many modes to play microgames featuring Wario™, ninjas, animals and even classic Nintendo franchises. Check out the Music section to hear or play a selection of songs using a character from Balloon Fight™. In addition to the bevy of preloaded products, you can also receive content from friends, play with products made using WarioWare: D.I.Y. or download games from the NinSoft Store. Let your creativity run wild – even Wario would be impressed with the possibilities for new content!

Diner Dash®
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Use of Alcohol
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Diner Dash, a popular PC action-puzzle game, has landed on the WiiWare service. Guide Flo, an office worker-turned-restaurateur, as she builds up her empire over four unique diners. Go online to face players in head-to-head. If you feel up to the challenge, join up with a friend or another player online for a Team Dash game where your team will take on six other players to see whose diner is the best in town. (Broadband Internet access is required for online play.) Players take direct control of Flo as she runs around to seat patrons, take orders, deliver food, take payment and bus tables as efficiently as possible within the time allowed. Players who are fond of traditional control schemes may also use a point-and-click style with hotkeys to aid Flo in her quest for customer satisfaction, which is reflected in a heart meter that empties as customers lose patience. If the meter empties completely, then the customer will leave the restaurant.

Virtual Console

Ogre Battle® 64: Person of Lordly Caliber™
Original platform: Nintendo 64™
Publisher: Square Enix
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Mild Language, Mild Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber is a tactical RPG originally released for the Nintendo 64™ system. Featuring a gripping storyline with many possible endings, plus a genre-defining character class system, this strategic epic has rightly retained its place in the hearts of tactical RPG fans for more than a decade. The game tells the story of Magnus Gallant, a recently graduated officer of the Palatinean Army who is assigned to the troubled southern region of his native land. There he witnesses the plight of the lower classes – the victims of a tyrannical ruling elite whose only thought is for the preservation of its own lofty status. With civil war brewing, Magnus is faced with a terrible choice: to betray his own noble origins in the name of liberty, or to turn a blind eye to the evils of his rotten society.

Nintendo DSiWare

Disney Fireworks
Publisher: Disney Interactive Studios
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Light up the night with Disney Fireworks! Touch and flick to trigger a dazzling nighttime extravaganza of color and fun. Aim rockets to their matching colors in the sky to set off an explosion and score points. Time them perfectly to improve your Wow Meter and unlock special surprises and rockets. Disney Fireworks comes with five themed environments, original music, 15 challenging levels for each world, high-score tracking and much more.

Save the Turtles
Publisher: Sabarasa
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Save the Turtles takes players to more than 32 of the world's most exotic beaches in a quest to help tiny turtles find their new home. Players must use the stylus to rub and tap the touch screen of the Nintendo DSi system, digging eggs from the sand and lining up cute reptiles while avoiding crabs, seagulls and litter on their way to the safety of the sea. The game features four modes, including a never-ending survival mode called Turtles Forever, plus several unlockable trophies. Give Mother Nature a hand and help save the turtles.

Nintendo DSi™ Metronome
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: The Nintendo DSi Metronome software can be used to help keep tempo –when playing an instrument, for example. It creates a rhythm by playing sounds based on beat and tempo settings, both of which allow a wide range of adjustments. Choose from three metronome designs (including one based on Nintendo's Game & Watch™: Ball title) and record your own sounds for the metronome to use. Or, if you want to take a break, enjoy a unique minigame: Donkey Kong™ Metronome, in which you make sounds into the microphone to match the beat and have Mario™ jump over Donkey Kong's barrels.

Nintendo DSi Instrument Tuner
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: The Nintendo DSi Instrument Tuner software can be used to tune an instrument by aligning tonal pitches. The software offers two methods of handling this: feeding sounds into the microphone to measure the difference with a target pitch, or listening to a sample tone. In addition, the standard musical pitch and notation can be changed, as well as the design of the tuner (choose one of three designs). If you're feeling especially in tune, test your ear by taking on the Tuner Fight minigame's challenge: Pop balloons as they rise from pipes by making tones that match the displayed pitches.

Super Yum Yum Puzzle Adventures
Publisher: Mastertronic
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Super Yum Yum Puzzle Adventures is a multi-award-winning puzzle game starring a chameleon called Leon. Featuring 48 levels across four worlds and exclusive Nintendo DSi features, the game asks players to navigate many hours of mind-bending game play while trying to rescue Leon's babies from the belly of Ms. Tum Tum. Leon must eat his way through fruity, fiendish puzzles, licking fruit to change color and choosing the right combinations of fruit to finish each level.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Top Bottom