• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

KaYotiX

Banned
Ugh, MS Needs to either have Logitech Develop a wheel JUST for the 360 or make the Logitech wheels compatible....the MS wheel isnt that good

shinnn said:
a quick comparison

zn3go.jpg

the line assist changed.. some minor changes in the dashboard shader, grass and sun lighting
The FOV on the forza 4 images look like my forza 3 (because I use the splitscreen trick) horrah!

Does anybody have any experience with the XCM F1 converter? I'm curious as to why there isn't one with clutch/H-Shifter/FF full compatibility. I remember reading about the different techs behind each way the wheels work but really didn't quite grasp what was being said.

Since the Porsche Wheels are USB could they upgrade the firmware so they worked on the 360?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dashboard looks way less plastic.

I'm still doubting they can even manage 16 cars, so any improvement will be good.

Diablohead said:
The FOV on the forza 4 images look like my forza 3 (because I use the splitscreen trick) horrah!

I much prefer it this way, too.

Turn 10 should integrate FOV adjustment into the menu/UI. Having to continuously back out and play with the multiscreen setup made fine-tuning a bitch.

derFeef

Spaceman Spiff said:
I much prefer it this way, too.

Turn 10 should integrate FOV adjustment into the menu/UI. Having to continuously back out and play with the multiscreen setup made fine-tuning a bitch.
Plus adjusting the seat position, that would be perfect.

Shaneus

TheOddOne said:
http://i.imgur.com/jk8KD.png[IMG]

I can almost hear Mattrick saying it... smh.[/QUOTE]
I don't actually mind Mattrick. The fact that he was behind the original Test Drive makes him far more tolerable than most corporate video game types.

eso76

user_nat said:
Dashboard looks way less plastic.

I'm still doubting they can even manage 16 cars, so any improvement will be good.

the way it was worded in the leaked trailer had me thinking it might be for multiplayer races only. Besides i think what's holding the number of cars back in fm is AI moreso than graphical limitations. oh well, we'll find soon enough.

flyinpiranha said:
Does anybody have any experience with the XCM F1 converter? I'm curious as to why there isn't one with clutch/H-Shifter/FF full compatibility. I remember reading about the different techs behind each way the wheels work but really didn't quite grasp what was being said.

Since the Porsche Wheels are USB could they upgrade the firmware so they worked on the 360?

Its because the converter treats the wheel like a controller not a wheel. Hence mapping the shifts in a sequential manner only. The ff is treated like rumble which is why its crap.

No to upgrading your wheel because of the way the xbox handles ff. Only the wheels made to work on all platforms 911 turbo s & GT2 will work on everything.

I hope the cockpit also had a little more movement to it, even if it's a minor slight visible vibration to remove that magic carpet feeling :p

Hope the FOV is finally adjustable for single displays only...because in that above comparison, I actually prefer 3. But it really depended on the car in 3. Some I preferred a wider FOV.

G Rom

skyfinch said:
Nice comparisons, shinnn.
Anyone know what the "turn" thing is on the dash? Just below the 1/1.

I was thinking that it may be something like in Shift where you have to nail a corner.
And yes, nice comparison shinnn. :)

I like that the cockpit seems to have better lighting and contrast as in there's actually a roof on the car.

eso76

skyfinch said:
Nice comparisons, shinnn.
Anyone know what the "turn" thing is on the dash? Just below the 1/1.

Oh, that ?
That's just some subtle visual clue to tell the actor when to turn his head so that the demo doesn't look staged like last year's, nothing to worry about.

soundscream said:
Its because the converter treats the wheel like a controller not a wheel. Hence mapping the shifts in a sequential manner only. The ff is treated like rumble which is why its crap.

No to upgrading your wheel because of the way the xbox handles ff. Only the wheels made to work on all platforms 911 turbo s & GT2 will work on everything.

Gotcha ... well, I'd rather get a wheelstand than have an extra wheel so no Clutch or H-Shifter for me with Forza 4.

I'm glad that I'm back on board though ... I really enjoyed Forza 3 and the livery just makes the game so personal and with that XCM adapter I should be set. (I don't use the clutch in GT5 and only use the shifter on courses I know really well).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
G Rom said:
A scaled model was one of the option in the LCE survey, IIRC.
For the LCE, I'd like something similar to the book given in the Forza 2 LCE with details on car manufacturers. This time they could add the history of each tracks as we know Turn 10 likes to create one even for their fantasy tracks.
I would also love to see a dvd with never seen before footage detailing the development, scanning of cars, recording of sounds, etc... Something like the Bugatti video from Forza 3 but much longer and on more cars and features.

As for the exclusive cars, yeah I'm not really liking that either but I do hope that the LCE will get all the pre-order cars though because I would hate to miss on those.
I wonder what will happen to the VIP status, will they make it worthwhile and really exclusive by doing what Rockstar is doing with their L.A. Noire pass or even scrap it altogether ?
Yup, and I voted for it in there. A book would be cool too, or an automotive mag made with just oodles of information for car nuts, that was always my favourite idea kicked around. Don't withhold digital content, especially in games with competitive multiplayer where it could possibly mean something. The VIP system is a weird one, I mean it's great for what it is, but paying for it is just weird, it should be like BF:BC2's system, where only buyers of it new (not just the LCE) get access to streams of content for being loyal. Or you know, it can be bought for 10$ off the marketplace otherwise. It seems pretty arbitrary to only include that VIP pass with people who pay an extra 20$. But it was a test ofcourse to see if the model worked, and I hope they tweak it accordingly.

TheOddOne said:
The chick is hot. Hotness. Hotmybodyisnotready.
This is what you lost the fap contest to? C'mon son.

And how are you guys assuming FOV has been changed from looking at a preview made solely to demo the head tracking mode? Uh, let's not get too ahead of ourselves, and go into full assumption mode even before E3.

amar212

shinnn said:
thanks guys

IGN Gear editor via twitter:

New wheel? :p

Thomas from Fanatec is on E3 and he announced showing of Clubsport Shifter and some other Fanatec products.

He also officially announced plans to develop a new wheel to rival Thrustmaster T500RS on his blog and started with small internal survey among current Fanatec users.

If possibly co-related - because now it really seems strange he is flying all the way to USA to promote a shifter - it could be interesting.

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:
This is what you lost the fap contest to? C'mon son.
A bunch of Jules Jordan Productions came out at the end of the month. I kept it up for 2 weeks, but just had to fap at the nasty.

eso76

enzo_gt said:
And how are you guys assuming FOV has been changed from looking at a preview made solely to demo the head tracking mode? Uh, let's not get too ahead of ourselves, and go into full assumption mode even before E3.

you can tell the fov has been made a lot more similar to GT5's from the leaked video too.
Plus i'm pretty sure this time Fov is going to be adjustable anyway

saladine1

It seems to me that Turn 10 feel much more confident about what they have in store than previous years.
I mean, we all remember Che and Turn 10's 'controversial' tactics throughout the FM3 marketing phase. We remember the 'vote for us' polls and shit which was a little embarrassing it must be said.
So far though, we haven't seen any of this. It's as if they're saying," We don't need all that, let's just focus on our game and let the end product speak for itself".
I don't know, maybe i'm just reading into it too much but that's how I see it and frankly, that's how I would like it to be...

We haven't seen any of this cause Che is gone :p

Seriously though, without trying to start shit up, i think it's pretty apparent that they're going after all the best things in GT5, and that's a good thing. The first trailer showed a focus on the actual motorsport, and not stupid shit like stunts and livery editor, we're getting a "Photo Travel" mode, the Top Gear license, night racing, the new FOV, hell even the color palette is more similar to GT5 now.

Kinda hilarious after all the "stagnant" talk, but in the end, it's a good thing that they're doing it. And you can already tell they're gonna do a hell of a better job in some of the stuff, like the Top Gear license.

saladine1 said:
It seems to me that Turn 10 feel much more confident about what they have in store than previous years.
I mean, we all remember Che and Turn 10's 'controversial' tactics throughout the FM3 marketing phase. We remember the 'vote for us' polls and shit which was a little embarrassing it must be said.
So far though, we haven't seen any of this. It's as if they're saying," We don't need all that, let's just focus on our game and let the end product speak for itself".
I don't know, maybe i'm just reading into it too much but that's how I see it and frankly, that's how I would like it to be...
Still early days yet, voting for cars was happening while forza 3 was on sale.

saladine1

Metalmurphy said:

Seriously though, without trying to start shit up, i think it's pretty apparent that they're going after all the best things in GT5, and that's a good thing. The first trailer showed a focus on the actual motorsport, and not stupid shit like stunts and livery editor, we're getting a "Photo Travel" mode, the Top Gear license, night racing, the new FOV, hell even the color palette is more similar to GT5 now.

Kinda hilarious after all the "stagnant" talk, but in the end, it's a good thing that they're doing it. And you can already tell they're gonna do a hell of a better job in some of the stuff, like the Top Gear license.
I mentioned this as soon as the trailer appeared. I was elated that they fouced on motorsport and not "let's hold hands and sing kumbaya" shit they showed at the last E3.
Honestly, this is nothing but good news...

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:

While I agree on the whole motorsport aspect, I disagree about the livery editor being a stupid shit. I don't make liveries but to me it's an important part of FM, especially to the motorsport aspect of it. I like how I can take any car and go to the storefront to get a real race livery. Beside, it's a great way to get updated cars without having to wait for a DLC or the next game.
Just an example, I did a race this morning in the C6.R with the 2011 livery. Sure it's not exactly the right model but it's a lot better than having to wait for Forza 4 to show up in october to drive the right car with this livery IMO.
Oh and night racing hasn't been confirmed yet. Fingers crossed for E3 ! :)

BTW, I thought of something while doing some races on tracks with position towers. Wouldn't it be great if you could choose a number à la Spartan tag in Halo and it would show up on the tower with live updated position during the race. It's just a detail but it would be another relatively small way to put life in the tracks and could make for great replay cameras when there are overtaking in the main straight.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Metalmurphy said:

"not to stir shit up"

...then you do anyway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And for those who spent hours creating intricate layers and liveries in the “Forza Motorsport 3” Livery Editor, you will be able to import those layers, so your time isn’t lost!

So they did listen to me!

Going forward, I hope Forza has BC and just upgrades the livery system from 3->4->5 by adding better colors and layers and letting the person update it to the new system. It saves time and saves effort for some people.

yeah, the livery editor has been a critical part of "making the car your own" and while i am not a livery expert, i definitely spend time with ever car i got and thought up a unique theme and livery.

especially critical was being able to buy logo work and little things like the pre-made license plates and manufacturer logos that were really well done.

i am sure the community shopping experience will be hugely improved. Better search options, better organization, maybe featured community member stores. and i am hoping they come up with a better way to customize through body work. vents (hood, brake) more spoiler/lip options that you can set downforce (hate that you can only really use the one giant racing wing if you want to be competitive). I guess the auction/community is a part that hasn't really been talked about a ton, but is a giant part of the game.

cjelly said:
"not to stir shit up"

...then you do anyway.

I said what I wanted to say without trying to stir shit up. If that's how you saw it, your problem.

G Rom said:
While I agree on the whole motorsport aspect, I disagree about the livery editor being a stupid shit. I don't make liveries but to me it's an important part of FM, especially to the motorsport aspect of it. I like how I can take any car and go to the storefront to get a real race livery. Beside, it's a great way to get updated cars without having to wait for a DLC or the next game.
Just an example, I did a race this morning in the C6.R with the 2011 livery. Sure it's not exactly the right model but it's a lot better than having to wait for Forza 4 to show up in october to drive the right car with this livery IMO.
It's a cool feature, specially since it makes the auctions actually useful. But in a sim, it shouldn't be the main focus, like it was for F3.

G Rom said:
Oh and night racing hasn't been confirmed yet. Fingers crossed for E3 ! :)
Pffft, bet money on it.

TheSeks said:
So they did listen to me!

Going forward, I hope Forza has BC and just upgrades the livery system from 3->4->5 by adding better colors and layers and letting the person update it to the new system. It saves time and saves effort for some people.

the only quasi-issue i have is that depending on how this is handled the same people making millions of credits on FM3 can get it going right away in FM4, and it doesn't give new folks a chance. Free market and all, i know....but i would hope that they at least start everyone on equal ground as far as ranking up the liveries and logo assets.

G Rom

I'm no livery expert but I hope they add different type of paint this time. I want matte paint (it was in Forza 1 ffs !), metallic paint that actually look like metallic paint, chrome paint for giggles, pearlescent paint, etc...

As to the livery transfer, they should also transfer the liveries bought by the player in FM3 in FM4. That way the painters won't milk their FM3 liveries again.

saladine1

I just hope that we get a full,equal experience across all fields which includes the vehicles. I don't want a premium/standard content shit happenning in FM4.
I mean, when they talked about the Ferrari 458 being modeled and detailed right down to the smallest screw, did they mean that particular car received the treatment only or is it every car?

“We’ve worked closely with our partners at Ferrari to bring this amazing car to life in your living room.”

The Turn 10 team has worked closely with Ferrari to include every intricate detail of the Ferrari 458 Italia in the game, from its sleek aerodynamic design to its exquisitely modelled 4499 cc V8 engine, offering players the most realistic driving experience off the track.

saladine1 said:
I just hope that we get a full,equal experience across all fields which includes the vehicles. I don't want a premium/standard content shit happenning in FM4.
I mean, when they talked about the Ferrari 458 being modeled and detailed right down to the smallest screw, did they mean that particular car receive the treatment only or is it every car?

I think it's for the new mode where you can get close to the car, and interact with it. It's silly to expect that all cars will have that interactivity, like opening the hood, checking the engine, etc.

During a race, it won't matter.

Top Bottom