• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

HOLY SHIT this game looks amazing. Just beautiful and the news about the map (and even the naming scheme of the lands!) just makes me more excited. I wish I knew more about the branching paths in the levels.

I'm also pleased that NSMBWii is getting rightfully praised for its amazing level design. I love SMW and SMB3, but in terms of level design NSMBWii has em beat hands down.

UizwP.jpg

iBouE.jpg

When I was looking for images for this comparison, I stumbled across a website that has full level maps from SMB3 and SMW:

http://www.mariomayhem.com/downloads/mario_game_maps/super_mario_world_levels/
http://www.mariomayhem.com/downloads/mario_game_maps/super_mario_bros_3_maps/

and I realized that even my memory of SMW made the levels more complex than they actually are. NSMBWii and NSMB2's levels are more complex than SMW's in general. Nostalgia is really hurting these games. This whole hatred of NSMB level design makes no sense at all.
This comparison is dumb. You would never see the SMW Map all zoomed out like that. It would be way zoomed in, and therefore, not nearly as bland for what the SNES was pushing.

zroid

Banned
Zoomed in or out, the visuals of SMW do not hold up. It's still one of my favourite games ever, but I can't understand how adjectives like "sterile" and "bland" can so consistently be thrown at NSMBU, while lifting SMW up to the heavens. Nostalgia at its worst.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
More Nintendo Land tidbits.

1. There will be single player only games. Donkey Kong and Balloon Fight amongst them. These games will be the ones supporting the off-tv play. Will have challenging features.

2. Music is really good so far. Even the non-remixed music you hear in the theme park and menus.

3. Looks like there are random "games" or activities? That you can play outside of the big theme parks.

Zoomed in or out, the visuals of SMW do not hold up. It's still one of my favourite games ever, but I can't understand how adjectives like "sterile" and "bland" can so consistently be thrown at NSMBU, while lifting SMW up to the heavens. Nostalgia at its worst.

Pretty much, SMW has always been my favourite as well but lets not ignore its visual shortcomings, background wise you have 2 types of slanted mountains (I think, it may just be one), Cave, Cloudy Sky, Underwater, Forest, Castle/Fort, the blue dome mountains and that sort of Night Sky/Sparkly Cave thing in some star world stages and vanilla dome 4, it's really just that SMW was smart with the colour palette at times and would switch up these backgrounds with various other colour schemes which gives the illusion of more background variety, something NSMB should have done but didn't for the most part.
Now there's nothing wrong with the above backgrounds, they are visually basic but they have a nice feel to them, there's an absolute ton of platformers from the same era that destroy SMW in background depth much like how right now NSMB has many adversaries with far more interesting backdrops that are used to rally against its basic look.
This doesn't mean that NSMB should stick to the bare bones basic backgrounds (some of the new ones do well to alleviate this) but SMW barely has it beat in variety and depth so it's weird when people act like it's some visual masterpiece and the NSMB series is this one outlier.

One of SMW's main points to counter any blandness is the mostly new cast of enemies, it helps the game stand out quite a lot and gives it a more unique identity, NSMB draws enemies mostly from SMB3 with a few from SMW, SM64 and even fewer new enemies that haven't really entered character staple status, a few more new enemy types would work well for NSMB, at the same time the vast backlog of enemies is pretty solid in itself.

Really though if people really must pit NSMB against SMW in background warfare to rally against the "villainous" NSMB series then whatever, go nuts. I prefer the look of SMW to the previous NSMB games myself but it's not that much better at all, really they are both lacking. Mario games tend to favour having more simplistic backgrounds as to not obscure the stage itself, there's nothing really wrong with this, the real crime of the NSMB games was reusing the same world themes across three games with very similar backgrounds across them all, while it's still arguably sneakily sticking to the standard themes from what we've seen and heard so far NSMBU is doing much better already.

The short version: Being visually basic is pretty much a trait of 2D Mario anyway, SML2 is about as unique as things got.

zroid

Banned
So what is the deal with this Boost Rush mode? Like a fusion of Coin Rush and the warp cannon levels from NSMB2?
- Players will go through pre-selected packs of levels in Boost Rush Mode
- Collecting coins makes the auto-scroll faster
- Limited amount of lives given at the start of each pack
- Dying doesn’t reset the clock

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Nostalgia will play a part, but pixel art has a charm about it. Being pixel based complements the simplicity. Once you go 3D things can go too clean, and the NSMB games took on that look by being too clean. Too safe really, so it loses that charm.

It's not ugly but it's not as appealing, although this one does look to be mixing it up a bit more than before.

wrowa

This comparison is dumb. You would never see the SMW Map all zoomed out like that. It would be way zoomed in, and therefore, not nearly as bland for what the SNES was pushing.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if I understand RagnarokX correctly he was talking about level design. Not sure why you are countering his post with a graphical statement. Whether or not Mario World's levels weren't displayed zoomed out doesn't really change the complexity of its level design.

more info from gameinformer from gn.

- Three Yoshi variations
- Pink Yoshi: inflated with a GamePad/Wiimote shake
- This can take Mario even higher than the flying suit can
- Pink Yoshis don’t help in horizontal movement
- Large surface area useful for collecting a bunch of airborne coins
- Gold Yoshi: shake the controller to light up the immediate area
- Also stuns nearby enemies
- Gold Yoshis show up in the Fire Snake Caverns
- Blue Yoshi: can shoot bubbles
- Can ride the adult version of Yoshi in numerous levels
- Yoshi can still eat breaks
- Collect five to fill a meter
- This rewards Yoshi’s rider with a power-up
- Camera pans out a bit in co-op
- This helps you see hidden star coins and pipes that you normally wouldn’t come across in single-player
- Boost Mode: Place up to four floating platforms at a time
- Use the GamePad touch screen in Boost Mode to pop friends out of bubbles, stun enemies, make it easier to reach the flagpole, manipulate environmental objects, swat Paratroopas
- Turn on Boost Mode by powering up the GamePad – that’s it
- Players will go through pre-selected packs of levels in Boost Rush Mode
- Limited amount of lives given at the start of each pack
- Dying doesn’t reset the clock
destroy me if old.

1. There will be single player only games. Donkey Kong and Balloon Fight amongst them. These games will be the ones supporting the off-tv play. Will have challenging features.

2. Music is really good so far. Even the non-remixed music you hear in the theme park and menus.

3. Looks like there are random "games" or activities? That you can play outside of the big theme parks.

destroy me if old.

Yes to all of this. I don't care about shaking and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Daschysta

New Super Mario World er... NSMBU sounds great! Some of the locales look refreshingly diverse, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii was amazing....

So i'm totally in!

Anth0ny

If I'm understanding this correctly, that sounds amazing.

I guess collecting all the coins on auto scroll levels is the only way to get the speed run "accomplishments".

Sounds good except for the shaking parts. Shaking ruined DKCR for me. :/ I hope there's a way to map that stuff to a button....

Penguin

destroy me if old.

Updated OP with both

Thanks

Roo

UizwP.jpg

iBouE.jpg

When I was looking for images for this comparison, I stumbled across a website that has full level maps from SMB3 and SMW:

and I realized that even my memory of SMW made the levels more complex than they actually are. NSMBWii and NSMB2's levels are more complex than SMW's in general. Nostalgia is really hurting these games. This whole hatred of NSMB level design makes no sense at all.

Ok... now I'm officially impressed.
I just found a secret in SMB.3 I didn't know about its existence.
literally mind blown!!!

Edit: fuck it :O
I need to play this again :O

Pretty much, SMW has always been my favourite as well but lets not ignore its visual shortcomings, background wise you have 2 types of slanted mountains (I think, it may just be one), Cave, Cloudy Sky, Underwater, Forest, Castle/Fort, the blue dome mountains and that sort of Night Sky/Sparkly Cave thing in some star world stages and vanilla dome 4, it's really just that SMW was smart with the colour palette at times and would switch up these backgrounds with various other colour schemes which gives the illusion of more background variety, something NSMB should have done but didn't for the most part.
Now there's nothing wrong with the above backgrounds, they are visually basic but they have a nice feel to them, there's an absolute ton of platformers from the same era that destroy SMW in background depth much like how right now NSMB has many adversaries with far more interesting backdrops that are used to rally against its basic look.
This doesn't mean that NSMB should stick to the bare bones basic backgrounds (some of the new ones do well to alleviate this) but SMW barely has it beat in variety and depth so it's weird when people act like it's some visual masterpiece and the NSMB series is this one outlier.

One of SMW's main points to counter any blandness is the mostly new cast of enemies, it helps the game stand out quite a lot and gives it a more unique identity, NSMB draws enemies mostly from SMB3 with a few from SMW, SM64 and even fewer new enemies that haven't really entered character staple status, a few more new enemy types would work well for NSMB, at the same time the vast backlog of enemies is pretty solid in itself.

Really though if people really must pit NSMB against SMW in background warfare to rally against the "villainous" NSMB series then whatever, go nuts. I prefer the look of SMW to the previous NSMB games myself but it's not that much better at all, really they are both lacking. Mario games tend to favour having more simplistic backgrounds as to not obscure the stage itself, there's nothing really wrong with this, the real crime of the NSMB games was reusing the same world themes across three games with very similar backgrounds across them all, while it's still arguably sneakily sticking to the standard themes from what we've seen and heard so far NSMBU is doing much better already.

The short version: Being visually basic is pretty much a trait of 2D Mario anyway, SML2 is about as unique as things got.

Good post man

Iceblade

UizwP.jpg

iBouE.jpg

Even the backgrounds match. What kind of wizardry is this, Nintendo?!

Inukage

I just want fucking different colored yoshis that we can ride and that stay with us after a level...

That's exactly what I want, I'm hoping with all these SMWorld references it means we should be able to take him :D

I hope this means what I think it does:
Coming from Game Informer...

- Three Yoshi variations

i've never found hitting the B button to be particularly comfortable when the controller is sideways.
Are we talking about the Wii controller or Wii U gamepad? I thought you could play single player with the pad if you wanted.

That's exactly what I want, I'm hoping with all these SMWorld references it means we should be able to take him :D

- Three Yoshi variations
It sounds like the opposite.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good news for Balloon Fight, should make the game easier to play.

jerd

On the subject of shaking, does this mean that pro controllers cannot be used, or that it will simply be mapped to a button press and was just not mentioned?

Qurupeke

- Three Yoshi variations

Adult Yoshi is the best Yoshi. Also, what are the Fire Snake Caverns?

RagnarokX

well we're halfway there, and SMG2 went the whole way.

I don't think the baby yoshis grow up in this one. The pink and gold ones especially are too integral to level gimmicks.

But who knows. Maybe gold Yoshi turns into a permanent one of these when it eats 5 things:

58vGK.jpg

Everybody complaining about the shake..be silenced!

from game informer.

- shake the GamePad or press ZR to give Squirrel Suit Mario a second jump
- ZR can also be used to pick up items or using colored Yoshi powers
- some areas of the game will require motion control
- Super Guide returning

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
- shake the GamePad or press ZR to give Squirrel Suit Mario a second jump

:O

Now confirm we can use Pro Controllers! (I wouldn't mind shaking with the Pro Controller, but with the GamePad it seems like it would be clumsy.)

Top Bottom