• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Vashetti

Banned
Found some pics on this site.

9dd3a343.jpg

(Old right, new left):

Translated through Google Chrome, so it's obviously rough, but you can glean the info:

To briefly summarize the differences, etc. of the previous model, which is known at the moment,
- housing size is the same, HDD bay cover is actually shareable but there is a different thing from the difference in the surface treatment
power consumption is two percent It has been reduced degree
power consumption 8% reduction rating of-power
and weight is one about 10% lighter
reduced about two percent is, the real power consumption, usually about 80-100W, at most to about 125W?
• The number of the back of the screw is reduced, connector position has also been changed
-board downsizing
to-body switch is mechanical  ... and, it seems surprisingly changes often. In particular, whether the board say that big was determined to have been downsized, it is likely there is also a possibility that the APU itself is shrink not only the number was half of GDDR5.  PS Series story that so and so to cheap and model change advances will appear every time, but since the internal mechanism as it is is this time of this housing size is compact and lightweight, it can afford such as in the interior of the airflow by Let It is thought likely also to have moved out.  I think that it comes finishing also in Gichigichi When performing again of miniaturization, but it is likely in the meantime specification change is not bad this time.

RedAssedApe

Banned

there are also people who claim their current ps4s aren't noisy or output varying degrees of noise so it could simply be variance in a product that is mass produced.

would be nice if the cooling has improved or the internal components output less heat across the board but i'm not losing money on my existing ps4 just to get a slightly quieter console. should have put the usb ports in the back and used a 5ghz wireless chip at least.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
-Old PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 153 ~ 155W
Map screen: 100W

· The new PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 123 ~ 125W
Map screen: 80W

And less noisy overall.
Could you compare the PDM idle times when there is no game running?

I'm hoping the next revision is slimmer, has rear USB, and/or HDMI 2.0 so I can sell my launch model

I completely forgot about HDMI 2.0. Yes. That is a must. I'm ok with the physical size. I just want a quieter system, with 5GHz WiFi, and HDMI 2.0. Everything else I requested has been addressed.

nib95

Banned
But is the WiFi adapter improved? Also, is there a way to back up your hard drive data now? I have a 1TB SSHD in mine, and don't want to have to re-download all my games etc.

Kudo

What is that black PS4 box under the HDD Cover... I'm interested!
Hopefully we'll get some teardowns soon, really interested in the cooling and changes inside.

Think we'll have this by the end of July in the US? Friend is getting a PS4 by then and I'd like to tell him to hold off just a bit for this very minor update.

Off topic but I really want Sony to release a buffed up PS3, like more responsive with better media capabilities that doesn't take forever to load stuff, I would buy it in a second.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, the white looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good this time around. Didn't like it with the glossy part. And with the stand? It's perfect.

I've got a launch model, but could probably be convinced to swap it for this one once there's some reports on the noise levels.

Man, the white looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good this time around. Didn't like it with the glossy part. And with the stand? It's perfect.

I've got a launch model, but could probably be convinced to swap it for this one once there's some reports on the noise levels.

ditto

Chronos24

Looks like outside of the cosmetic changes most people seem to care about the noise of the fan. Add me to that list for sure. I've been through enough of these things to entertain a small army. Can't say I won't make the switch if this model really proves to be a lot quieter.

njean777

Can I get a real revision? I want one that is more quiet and a bit smaller. Of course that is a lot to ask for.

Fbh

I missed this announcement.

Damn, I'd buy a matte HDD cover. The current glossy one is so bad, it gets scratches from just looking at it.

finalflame

Dunno, full matte plastic and mechanical buttons makes it seem cheaper to me. I guess this is somewhat like the move from the original PS3 Fat to the PS3 Slim -- except it didn't get any thinner, only lighter. I quite like the capacitive buttons and glossy plate on the current PS4.

Futurematic

Can I get a real revision? I want one that is more quiet and a bit smaller. Of course that is a lot to ask for.
Has to wait on 14nm from GlobalFoundries to shrink the APU and low power is up first, dunno if Sony could use Low Power Plus (potentially in time for holidays) but if they can't I wouldn't expect a die shrink until early 2016.

vin-buc

I guess I don't get it. WHY would I update my ps4 for a matte finish hdd cover plate? This seems like a money grab to me.

It's not a cash grab. Sony (as well as microsoft) will do their utmost to lower the manufacturing Costs of their machines to up the profits.

In this case, lowering power draws, heat output and switching the buttons to mechanical is a benefit to the end user. The cosmetic differences (in this scenario) are negligible imo.

Top Bottom