• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

I'm not claiming it's not an issue, because it's a very common complaint and it obviously is, but what are people doing when their PS4s are "jet engine loud"?

I've had my PS4 since launch, and I've never even heard it running. I'm digital only, though, could it be the disc drive or something?

What exactly is so loud in the PS4 and why doesn't my PS4 seem loud at all? Because this seems like a really big issue for a lot of PS4 owners. I can't imagine my console being so loud that I trade it in. Especially not my PS4, which again, doesn't make any discernible noise audible from my couch six feet away.

It's pretty random and depends on the game.

If I leave the console running on the Never Alone main menu, after 10 seconds it sounds like it's going to take off into space.

It gets quite noisy in Witcher 3 in crowded areas or if it's raining.

The console gets loud most of the time if I pause a game too.

It was pretty quiet for GTA 5 or Destiny but I'm done with those games.

Anyway, I'll probably switch my White Destiny PS4 for this. There's a chance it'll be quieter and the matte finish should have been there from the start.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Now release the MGSV:TPP bundle in the US with this model and I am in

Chronos24

I'm not claiming it's not an issue, because it's a very common complaint and it obviously is, but what are people doing when their PS4s are "jet engine loud"?

I've had my PS4 since launch, and I've never even heard it running. I'm digital only, though, could it be the disc drive or something?

What exactly is so loud in the PS4 and why doesn't my PS4 seem loud at all? Because this seems like a really big issue for a lot of PS4 owners. I can't imagine my console being so loud that I trade it in. Especially not my PS4, which again, doesn't make any discernible noise audible from my couch six feet away.

As someone who is on his 6th ps4, I'll tell you. Firstly, I will say that each ps4 I owned was extremely well taken care of, in a wide open space, laid horizontal, and was kept as dust free as a fairly OCD person can keep it. I'll also note my luck with this console is an exception and not the rule in my belief. 1st console received as a gift right after Christmas and got loud a few months after owning it. Got jet engine loud pretty constantly especially during TLOU and Bloodborne. These for the remainder of this story are the standard I used. Sent 1st console for "repair" and received #2 a couple weeks later, only to get a console that smelled like an ashtray was dumped inside it, and dust blowing out the back right out of the box, and was also jet engine loud. Did as much research as possible in to this since now #2 was crap as well. Saw a lot of complaints online but also saw just as many people claiming their systems were quiet even while playing TLOU and Bloodborne. I decided to eat the cost and traded #2 off at GameStop for #3, which was manufactured March 2015 and had a bad HDD out of the box. It clicked like a mofo and everything lagged. Didn't wait around to test fan noise and exchanged #3 for #4. This console seemed quieter but by a small degree. During this process I continued to do research thinking surely it can't be like this there are people who say their ps4 is quiet damnit. Then I stumbled on a post from someone who got curious about the APU not connecting completely to the heatsink causing the thermistor not to be able to tell the true temp of the APU. What he did was apply light pressure to the top of the console just over the fan (obviously console was horizontal) and the fan spun up really fast meaning the APU was warmer than the system thought and not adequately being cooled. After a few seconds he said the fan slowed and the system got quiet. Naturally I tried it, and lo and behold same thing happened. Exchanged this system (GameStop customer service fucking rocks when it comes to hardware exchange), and same damn problem. As you guys can tell I became determined to find a quiet system well before this. So this brings us to #6.... And HOLY SHIT, a QUIET PS4. Something was completely different about this one too when it came to fan noise. ALL OTHER PS4's had what I can best describe as a whistle/whir noise that got higher as the fan revved up. You can YouTube this easily and you can hear that Jet Engine like noise. This PS4 didn't have that whir noise AT ALL. All I could hear was just the air lightly coming out of the back and I had to get close to hear even that. I made sure after long play the air was coming out fine and it definitely was so I know the fan is working just fine.

TL;DR- After many loud PS4 exchanges, finally got a quiet one. Give this story a read though, may be helpful.

Now release the MGSV:TPP bundle in the US with this model and I am in

Yup

The import prices for it are just insane.

I mean, I paid the $700 for the gun metal gray PS3 via Konami.com, but that was back when the system itself was still like $499-$599 in the US anyways back in 2008.

As someone who is on his 6th ps4, I'll tell you. Firstly, I will say that each ps4 I owned was extremely well taken care of, in a wide open space, laid horizontal, and was kept as dust free as a fairly OCD person can keep it. I'll also note my luck with this console is an exception and not the rule in my belief. 1st console received as a gift right after Christmas and got loud a few months after owning it. Got jet engine loud pretty constantly especially during TLOU and Bloodborne. These for the remainder of this story are the standard I used. Sent 1st console for "repair" and received #2 a couple weeks later, only to get a console that smelled like an ashtray was dumped inside it, and dust blowing out the back right out of the box, and was also jet engine loud. Did as much research as possible in to this since now #2 was crap as well. Saw a lot of complaints online but also saw just as many people claiming their systems were quiet even while playing TLOU and Bloodborne. I decided to eat the cost and traded #2 off at GameStop for #3, which was manufactured March 2015 and had a bad HDD out of the box. It clicked like a mofo and everything lagged. Didn't wait around to test fan noise and exchanged #3 for #4. This console seemed quieter but by a small degree. During this process I continued to do research thinking surely it can't be like this there are people who say their ps4 is quiet damnit. Then I stumbled on a post from someone who got curious about the APU not connecting completely to the heatsink causing the thermistor not to be able to tell the true temp of the APU. What he did was apply light pressure to the top of the console just over the fan (obviously console was horizontal) and the fan spun up really fast meaning the APU was warmer than the system thought and not adequately being cooled. After a few seconds he said the fan slowed and the system got quiet. Naturally I tried it, and lo and behold same thing happened. Exchanged this system (GameStop customer service fucking rocks when it comes to hardware exchange), and same damn problem. As you guys can tell I became determined to find a quiet system well before this. So this brings us to #6.... And HOLY SHIT, a QUIET PS4. Something was completely different about this one too when it came to fan noise. ALL OTHER PS4's had what I can best describe as a whistle/whir noise that got higher as the fan revved up. You can YouTube this easily and you can hear that Jet Engine like noise. This PS4 didn't have that whir noise AT ALL. All I could hear was just the air lightly coming out of the back and I had to get close to hear even that. I made sure after long play the air was coming out fine and it definitely was so I know the fan is working just fine.

TL;DR- After many loud PS4 exchanges, finally got a quiet one. Give this story a read though, may be helpful.
This story makes me so damn jealous

would give anything for one of the unicorn, quiet PS4s :(

Elios83

The white looks nice, but without a 1tb hdd I'll continue to wait for the next revision.

1TB model has already been certified at the FCC. It's coming later this year among with the price drop, it will be used for the "value" bundles.
Anyway not to mind your businesses but if you're so concerned about hard drive capacity how can you be satisfied just with 1TB anyway?
Just buy the cheapest model and then upgrade all the way to 2TB by yourself.
Personally I'm waiting to upgrade because I want a 2TB hybrid drive and I'm waiting for Seagate to release one at 2.5 inches, 9.5mm.

//ARCANUM

Anyone have any info or idea on when these new models will make it to the U.S.? I'm in the market for a PS4 but will wait if these aren't too far off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1TB model has already been certified at the FCC. It's coming later this year among with the price drop, it will be used for the "value" bundles.
Anyway not to mind your businesses but if you're so concerned about hard drive capacity how can you be satisfied just with 1TB anyway?
Just buy the cheapest model and then upgrade all the way to 2TB by yourself.
Personally I'm waiting to upgrade because I want a 2TB hybrid drive and I'm waiting for Seagate to release one at 2.5 inches, 9.5mm.

That is what I am waiting on too.

sugarman

Hope it isn't as loud as the launch one.
Have you checked the sides and back for dust? Mine became loud as shit, I pulled it out from the media center and was horrified to see it was nearly plugged solid with dust. This was in a pretty spacious cabinet with no back.

Now it's almost completely silent.

Have you checked the sides and back for dust? Mine became loud as shit, I pulled it out from the media center and was horrified to see it was nearly plugged solid with dust. This was in a pretty spacious cabinet with no back.

Now it's almost completely silent.

It ain't dust, trust me. I'm pretty damn OCD and dust off my consoles at least every other day. Clean them all out with a dust blower (they make PC safe ones FYI) probably every couple of months also.

It's the cooling solution. System just needs a bigger MM fan. Ain't gonna happen tho, that's why i'm eagerly anticipating a die-shrink sometime in the future.

When the PS3 went from a 65nm I believe to the 40nm that was inside the gun metal gray MGS4 one, it was like a damn revelation. I still own that system too and it's still damn quiet.

Makes me wonder if there is a way someone can open up the case and fix the problem itself. Similar to how people were fixing the RROD on 360 last gen by screwing the heatsink or whatever it was down.

Early adopters rewarded with luxe piano black glossy goodness.

ps4-usb-hub-640x323.jpg

Probably the best I've seen. Every other 'integrated into the design' hub sticks out at the bottom.

Where can I get this?

WoodWERD

Meh. I'm in for an all matte version down the road when it's smaller, cheaper, bigger HD and hopefully an improved controller.

Dariso

Neo Member

Wow man 6 ps4s to get a quiet one. I'm also one of the unlucky ones who got a loud unit. At least I can confirm this is not an issue with a bad batch of launch units since mine i believe is the second revision, the one that came with GTAV and TLOU. I honestly was disappointed since I had a really quiet PS3 slim so I never expected my new PS4 to actually be noticeably louder than the slim. Like you said mine also has that whir noise when the fan starts to go faster. With Witcher III, which is the game I’ve been playing recently, the fan is actually quite variable in its loudness. As soon as I go to the menu or play gwent, the fan goes almost silent. Same thing when I close the game, like its firmware related, the PS4 can't possibly cool down that fast after closing the game.

Other than that the game makes my console go from moderate loud, even in cutscenes, to jet engine loud. This variable sound levels actually annoy me more since hearing the fan suddenly going into jet engine mode really takes me out of the game sometimes. Overall also pretty jealous of you guys with quiet PS4s.

crinale

Well if power consumption is smaller they must have changed some internal components. Aside from GDDR5 chips what could they do to achieve less power consumption?

injurai

Banned
Well if power consumption is smaller they must have changed some internal components. Aside from GDDR5 chips what could they do to achieve less power consumption?

Usually die shrink of the cpu/gpu. But that general idea extends to most other parts of the mobo as well.

Dynomutt

Don't know if this was posted or not...

Differences between CUH-1100 and CUH-1200 PS4:

【Features】
1. HDD bay cover
gloss finish -> matte finish
2. Power / Eject button
electrostatic type -> mechanical type
3. Port layout
OPTICAL―HDMI―LAN―AUX -> OPTICAL―AUX―HDMI―LAN
* No change for AC IN connector layout
4. Length of LED light: Long: CUH-1100 / Short: CUH-1200

【Specs】
1. Maximum power consumption
250W -> 230W
2. Weight (approximate)
2.8kg -> 2.5kg

Extra information:

The limited #MGSV #PS4 console will be a CUH-1200 model. Releases on 2/9/2015
The limited Edition Batman: Arkham Knight #PS4 Bundle will be a CUH-1100 model. Releases on 23/6/2015
HDD bay cover compatibility:
HDD bay cover for CUH-1100 is not compatible with CUH-1200 PS4.
HDD bay cover for CUH-1200 PS4 is compatible with CUH-1100 PS4.

Credit to Pad Poet EU Community Manager for PlayStation.

https://medium.com/@PadPoet/further-differences-between-cuh-1100-and-cuh-1200-387c3241bd31

DonMigs85

So they really did cut costs in some areas - not sure if the mechanical buttons are more reliable in the long run, and the shorter LED light wont look as cool.
Reminds me of the downgrades from the PS3 Slim 2000 series to the 3000.

Bastardo

From myself in another thread:

More likely:
AMD did some process optimizations over the year == the chip needs a lower voltage now == it requires less power.

In other words: Over time AMD (GF) improves the yield of the wafer and maybe re-engineers (AMD) the chip a little bit, which might lead to chips which require a lower voltage.

Kogepan

USB port in the back? I really wish they would have ports in the back, i'd actually get the camera if that were the case.

Hydrargyrus

Damn, I wish they had used those mechanical buttons instead of electromagnetic.

You can't press the mechanical buttons by mistake

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In all my testing I've never seen the PS4 to be even close to 250 Watt.

I'm interested in the real reduction, because for the most time it sits at 113 Watt when playing what I play the most: FIFA.
(Have seen it go up to 130 Watt and have read online others had it at 140 Watt.)

So the 8% from 250 Watt max to 230 Watt could be nothing.

Planet

Power supply units are not meant to be driven close to their maximum capacity over long periods. That's why they always carry a larger Watt figure than seemingly necessary.

The new PS4 does not need 8% less power because it has a 230W instead of 250W PSU. It has a lower specification PSU because it uses 8% less power and doesn't need the higher capacity anymore.

It is kind of heretical but I might actually get the white one when I finally buy the damn thing, already got a white DS4 for my pc which also has a white case.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The new PS4 does not need 8% less power because it has a 230W instead of 250W PSU. It has a lower specification PSU because it uses 8% less power and doesn't need the higher capacity anymore.
It's not a given that it actually uses any different amount of powers between the two versions.

Using the 8% difference between the 250 Watt PSU in the CUH-1100 and the 230 Watt PSU in the CUH-1200 does not mean the actual power usage will be 8% lower because it doesn't operate an that range anyway.

Top Bottom