• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Final Fantasy game is four for sure.

The commands kick and jump did not appear in II and I assume the imp enemies refer to the FFII US (i..e FFIV) name for the goblin enemy (though I don't know what the FFII NES English prototype called them).

Still, I have to wonder if this means it'll be the watered down FFII US or if it'll be some kind of modified version to bring it more in line with the Japanese version and subsequent re-releases (Playstation, GBA, DS).

If Nintendo is releasing FFIV for VC, I really wouldn't expect them to put out a new version. I'm sure it'll be what released for the SNES originally, especially if they can't even be bothered to use the name that the game has had for years now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thank god I wnt in with low expectations, but you guys are just crazy sometimes.

Contra Rebirth is EFFIN' Awesome, and amongst the very best on Wiiware, and also one of the few games worth the 1000 points asking price as well.

I also feel the need (yeah) to point out that only a poor blind chap could even THINK that the game actually looks worse than Super Contra or Contra IV, or even slightly on par with them.

Game's a blessing, I LOVE it.
As many 2D VC games it doesn't look any worse in 480i than it probably would've done in 480p, and I'm usually the first to skip 480i games, and my plasma handles it really well opposed to the likes of the shitty IQ of 480i Madworld/Tenchu or even 576i Little King's Story.

I wish the game was widescreen though, but I can see it maybe changing the gameplay for this 2d iteration a tad too much.

I wish Gradius Rebirth had as much effort put into it :-/
Fingers crossed for Castlevania.

For those Contra lovin' GAFers still on the fences: BUY.

FINAL FANTASY II

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes

Rating summary: This is a 2D role-playing game (RPG) in which players embark on an adventure involving magic crystals and a quest to save the world from destruction. Players move small character icons across a field map and enter turn-based battles with an assortment of imps, dragons, and robots. Weapons and special attacks (e.g., "magic," "jump," and "kick"), accessed via a menu-screen, cause enemies to blink and disappear when defeated. One female enemy is depicted wearing a bikini top that exposes a moderate amount of cleavage.

This is super important, did the original SNES US version of FF4 have a female character with cleavage, or was it censored out?

Could this actually be the NES FF2 or the SFC FF4?

Nuclear Muffin said:
This is super important, did the original SNES US version of FF4 have a female character with cleavage, or was it censored out?

Could this actually be the NES FF2 or the SFC FF4?
2nqusk3.jpg

As far as I remember, she wasn't censored in the SNES release.

Has there been any new DSiWare related announcements at TGS? Maybe I've missed them but I've only seen some new iPhone and PSP Mini related games coming out of TGS. :( Was hoping for some DSiWare stuff.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nuclear Muffin said:
CRUD! DAMMIT :( I don't want the US version, I want the SFC one!

Why in the WORLD would you expect square Enix to retranslate the SFC ROM or merge the US and SFC ROMs when they could simply release the rexisting, translated USA version?

DavidDayton said:
Why in the WORLD would you expect square Enix to retranslate the SFC ROM or merge the US and SFC ROMs when they could simply release the rexisting, translated USA version?

Because they could release both and make more money?

beje

Banned
They already merged the original english text with the japanese "hard mode" ROM for the western release of FFIV in PSX so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

Well, yeah, they're Square Enix, the very same that asks 40€ for a set of mobile phone java games, 6€ for a useless pack of dresses and almost never translate their games into spanish or italian unless they're mainstream FF/DQ (and wouldn't do it to french and german either if it wasn't mandatory)

Jazzem

EU Update:

WiiWare
You, Me and the Cubes
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2
Sexy Poker

Virtual Console
R-Type (Master System version, weirdly...)

DSiWare

Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam

Shall be getting Cubes pretty soon :D

beje said:
They already merged the original english text with the japanese "hard mode" ROM for the western release of FFIV in PSX so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

Well, yeah, they're Square Enix, the very same that asks 40€ for a set of mobile phone java games, 6€ for a useless pack of dresses and almost never translate their games into spanish or italian unless they're mainstream FF/DQ (and wouldn't do it to french and german either if it wasn't mandatory)

Mind you though it was a native port rather than a SNES ROM edit, doesn't change the fact that they are no good lazy bastards though :(

DDayton

Nuclear Muffin said:
Because they could release both and make more money?

Do you think the 12.5 people who are clamoring for the Japanese version would justify paying a code flunkie for the work?

(Hyperbolic, I know.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's too bad they won't produce some sort of new "import" editions of FF games for the US (Such as FF1, 2, 4 hardtype, 5)... Otherwise they might have had a sale from myself and others who already have the old US releases.

Thing is they're already messing with the hex editor to edit palettes to "remove" any strobing light flashing effects...of which there are a couple in FFIV.

To me the whole situation comes off as careless both for the game and the consumer (
maybe as careless as the PAL50 only issue with most games on the EU service
). It would be like the Japanese department putting out FFIV Easytype on the virtual console and for PSN putting out the original version of FFVII rather than the international edition. There is no reason for it.

Jazzem said:
EU Update:

WiiWare
You, Me and the Cubes
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2
Sexy Poker
Sexy Poker...poor You, Me and the Cubes it'll be slaughtered.

Jazzem

Starwolf_UK said:
Sexy Poker...poor You, Me and the Cubes it'll be slaughtered.

Don't worry, I contributed and downloaded Cubes! Really enjoying it so far, although I'm a bit frustrated at the lengthy transitions between each 'stage' of a level...I'm too impatient perhaps!

Capndrake

VC for Japan next month (And the last update this month):

FC:
-Championship Lode Runner (Hudson Soft)
-Fire Emblem (Nintendo)

SFC:
-Bahamut Lagoon (Square Enix, Sep 29th)
-Kirby Super Star (Nintendo)

PCE:
-Fighting Street (Capcom)

VCA:
-Galaxian (Bandai Namco, Sep 29th)
-Marchen Maze (Bandai Namco, Sep 29th)
-Tecmo Bowl (Tecmo, Sep 29th)

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next month (And the last update this month):

FC:
-Championship Lode Runner (Hudson Soft)
-Fire Emblem (Nintendo)

SFC:
-Bahamut Lagoon (Square Enix, Sep 29th)
-Kirby Super Star (Nintendo)

PCE:
-Fighting Street (Capcom)

VCA:
-Galaxian (Bandai Namco, Sep 29th)
-Marchen Maze (Bandai Namco, Sep 29th)
-Tecmo Bowl (Tecmo, Sep 29th)
I guess this means they feel the DS versions have done all they can sales-wise and so there is no harm uploading the originals. That said the DS versions are still better (Kirby has more to it and Fire Emblem has a lot more features, difficulties and non-sucky inventory management) but honestly if people wanted to play the original Fire Emblem on VC they probably would already bought "Mystery of the Emblem" on the SFC since that contains a variant of it (missing a few 5 characters, 5 maps and a few weapons) as well a whole new campaign (which isn't seen in the DS release).

Somnid

Japan's full lineup for the week of 9/28/2009:

VC:
Bahamut Lagoon (SFC, Square-Enix, 800pts)
Galaxian (ARC, Bandai-Namco, 800pts)
Tecmobowl (ARC, Tecmo, 800pts)
Marchen Maze (ARC, Namco-Bandai, 800pts)

WiiWare:
NEVES Plus (Tryfirst, 500pts)
Sugar Bunnies Wii: Yokoso Bunnies Field e [Sugar Bunnies Wii: Welcome to the Bunnies Field] (Takara Tomy, 1000pts + DLC)

DSiWare:

DSiWare200:
Tori Tamashii: Chicken-do Shindan [Chicken Soul: Chickeness Diagnosis] (G-Mode)
Dentaku + TCG-You Tool: Dual Dentaku Custom [Calculator + Trading Card Game Tool: Dual Calculator Custom] (Tasuke)

DSiWare500:
Illustlogic + Nihon no Mukashibanashi [Illust Logic + Japanese Folklore] (Hudson)
Kenshoutsuki: Puzzle Iro-iro Gekkan Crossword Puzzle House Volume. 5 (Nintendo)
The Tower DS: Ura Roji no Nitouchi ni ichiryuu Hotel kensetsu hen
[The Tower DS: Establishing a First Class Hotel on a Back-alley Second Class Area Chapter] (Nintendo)

DSiWare Premium:
Shakui Atama wo Maruku Suru: Himekuri Calendar DS [Square-head Rounding: Daily Tear-off Calendar DS] (IEE Institute)
Chuugaku EJyuku-go Kihon 150go Master [Middle School English Idiom Basis 150 word Master] (IEE Institute)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Contra Rebirth is a lot of fun... played a bit of it and the level design is pretty cool, and I don't mind the graphics (they look like what an arcade sequel to Super Contra Arcade would look like, rather than Alien Wars). Only complaint is, on the stage where you're hopping on the robotic llamas, if you fall down, the game sometimes tends to spawn you right over another pit and you fall instantly to your death, losing a second life in the process.

It's definitely worth getting the game, I still need to pick up Gradius Rebirth though.

Infernal Monkey said:
I like how Nintendo Australia seem embarrassed by Sexy Poker. It doesn't show up on the Wii Shop's front page, you have to go find it yourself.
You've just revealed something pretty interesting to me about how the Wii Shop front page works.

I believe won't show titles you already own (read on for why) but otherwise follows a priority system. For now it seems to be (note: 1-3 be in wrong order):
1. You, Me and the Cubes
2. Tales of Monkey Island
3. R-Type
4. FFCC: My life as a da...
5. Sexy Poker

When I went on the shop to buy You, Me and the Cubes I noticed the first 4 games on the front page (as well ass Sexy Poker at the top of the What's new list; which PEGI gave a rating of 12+...quite the contrast from the M rating the ESRB slapped on it). When I came back later to check something I saw games 2-5.

farnham

Banned
Somnid said:
Japan's full lineup for the week of 9/28/2009:

VC:
Bahamut Lagoon (SFC, Square-Enix, 800pts)
Galaxian (ARC, Bandai-Namco, 800pts)
Tecmobowl (ARC, Tecmo, 800pts)
Marchen Maze (ARC, Namco-Bandai, 800pts)

WiiWare:
NEVES Plus (Tryfirst, 500pts)
Sugar Bunnies Wii: Yokoso Bunnies Field e [Sugar Bunnies Wii: Welcome to the Bunnies Field] (Takara Tomy, 1000pts + DLC)

DSiWare:

DSiWare200:
Tori Tamashii: Chicken-do Shindan [Chicken Soul: Chickeness Diagnosis] (G-Mode)
Dentaku + TCG-You Tool: Dual Dentaku Custom [Calculator + Trading Card Game Tool: Dual Calculator Custom] (Tasuke)

DSiWare500:
Illustlogic + Nihon no Mukashibanashi [Illust Logic + Japanese Folklore] (Hudson)
Kenshoutsuki: Puzzle Iro-iro Gekkan Crossword Puzzle House Volume. 5 (Nintendo)
The Tower DS: Ura Roji no Nitouchi ni ichiryuu Hotel kensetsu hen
[The Tower DS: Establishing a First Class Hotel on a Back-alley Second Class Area Chapter] (Nintendo)

DSiWare Premium:
Shakui Atama wo Maruku Suru: Himekuri Calendar DS [Square-head Rounding: Daily Tear-off Calendar DS] (IEE Institute)
Chuugaku EJyuku-go Kihon 150go Master [Middle School English Idiom Basis 150 word Master] (IEE Institute)

oh wow!

DDayton

Infernal Monkey said:
I like how Nintendo Australia seem embarrassed by Sexy Poker. It doesn't show up on the Wii Shop's front page, you have to go find it yourself.
Now if they just followed through with that policy on all badly done, shovelware WiiWare titles...

Starwolf_UK said:
You've just revealed something pretty interesting to me about how the Wii Shop front page works.

I believe won't show titles you already own (read on for why) but otherwise follows a priority system.

I'm going to have to check on that. I know that I've read somewhere (the instruction manual to the shop?) something about not recommending titles you already own, but I've never noticed that to actually work. However, if the front splash page thing is what they're talking about (and NOT the "Recommended Titles" page), that might make sense. I'll have to test it.

I'm waiting to see when we start getting DS game scores.

Wow, didn't expect to see Kirby Super Star and Fire Emblem so soon! (Considering that they had remakes released on the DS not too long ago)

Sigh, if only we could get the original NES and SNES Fire Emblem games on the US VC...

BocoDragon said:
It's too bad they won't produce some sort of new "import" editions of FF games for the US (Such as FF1, 2, 4 hardtype, 5)... Otherwise they might have had a sale from myself and others who already have the old US releases.

Not to mention stuff like the VRC Japan counterparts of Konami Famicom games that did make it over here but lost some stuff in conversion, like Contra/Gryzor and Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu. I'd be willing to pay extra!

CoolS

It's probably a bit early to mention it, and maybe I'm the only one who liked it but I hope Cheesemeister is going to do a VC/WiiWare Secret Santa again this year.
Always loved them the last two years :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
djtiesto said:
Contra Rebirth is a lot of fun... played a bit of it and the level design is pretty cool, and I don't mind the graphics (they look like what an arcade sequel to Super Contra Arcade would look like, rather than Alien Wars). Only complaint is, on the stage where you're hopping on the robotic llamas, if you fall down, the game sometimes tends to spawn you right over another pit and you fall instantly to your death, losing a second life in the process.

It's definitely worth getting the game, I still need to pick up Gradius Rebirth though.

Yeah, you put it right.
The game has a lot of character, it perfectly nails the arcade feel of Super Contra whereas Contra IV (which I like and own) was a sequel to the SFC based Contra Alien Wars. Music remixes are awesome and, to me, better than what Wayforward pulled.
I'm glad you're liking it.

I still need to pick up Gradius too, it's just 600 point luckily instead of the 1000 they asked for in Japan (dunno about USA) but I heard it's nowhere near the quality of Contra Rebirth.
Still, for 600 point I'll bite and see for myself since people were badmouthing Contra as well, even if I have to admit I'll probably mind the not-upgraded graphics a lot more for a game like Gradius, since the gameplay feels pretty archaic too.

next up: Castlevania Rebirth :D

I wish Capcom would start doing it right like Konami is, with all the pluses that'd come with the Capgod developers though :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Oxx

Man, Intelligent Systems + Dragon Quest is like the coming together of two of my favourite things in gaming, but I'm not sure their combined might can overcome my aversion to card-based games.

zigg

Regulus Tera said:
Finally something on which to spend my free 1000 DSi Points.

Boxlife, PiCTOBiTS, Minis March Again, and to a lesser extent Aquia, Mighty Flip Champs, and Precipice am cry :(

Related: Am I the only one that thinks DQW makes for horrible screenshot material?

Narag

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=20152

Art Academy™: Second Semester
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Art Academy is a portable art course that anyone can enjoy. Art Academy: Second Semester provides new and returning students with a larger set of tools and in-depth lessons designed to encourage the creation of more complex artwork. By gaining an even deeper understanding of colors and techniques used by famous impressionist artists, you will be ready to take on more challenging themes that include moving objects, and vast landscapes with distant objects. The openness of Free Paint mode offers plenty of opportunities to hone your skills and boost your confidence as an artist.

DRAGON QUEST® WARS™
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Language
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: DRAGON QUEST WARS is a grid-based strategy game featuring all of your favorite quirky DRAGON QUEST monsters. Choose from several modes and get ready for battle. While the rules are simple, strategy is the key to victory. The game features single-player and DS Wireless Play, as well as battles with foes worldwide via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. (Broadband Internet access is required for online play.)

WiiWare

ARKANOID Plus!
Publisher: TAITO
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 600 Wii Points™
Description: ARKANOID Plus! is an updated version of the original arcade blockbuster. Players must destroy colored blocks by guiding an Energy Ball around the screen using a spaceship called a VAUS. The game features a host of new modes and settings that radically alter the experience: Arcade Mode consists of 61 rounds divided into left and right versions, with two types of boss characters appearing in the last round; VS Mode lets players face off against a friend or the CPU; and the unfailingly frantic Time Mode challenges players to clear rounds within a strict time limit. With the subtle differences arising from the choice of "Lives" or "Barrier" rules, plus a plethora of exciting items, you're in for hours and hours of block-busting fun.

DRiiFT Mania
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
Players: 1-8
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: DRiiFT Mania is the ultimate top-down multiplayer racing experience. Challenge your friends in fast, exciting races and some totally crazy game modes. You'll need to adapt your driving skills to the different racing environments if you want to succeed.

Virtual Console

Altered Beast™
Publisher: SEGA
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: "Rise from your grave!" When legendary Greek god Zeus brings you back to life with those famous words, you set forth on a mission to rescue his daughter, Athena, from the wicked God of the Underworld, Neff. To survive the gauntlet of mythological foes, you must hunt down the three-headed wolves that inhabit each stage and collect the Spirit Balls that they release. The Spirit Balls increase your strength and allow you to transform into a variety of forms, including a Werewolf, Weredragon, Werebear, Weretiger and the ultimate form, the Golden Werewolf. Each creature possesses powerful attacks to help bring an end to Neff's scheme.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Narag said:
Virtual Console

Altered Beast™
Publisher: SEGA
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: "Rise from your grave!" When legendary Greek god Zeus brings you back to life with those famous words, you set forth on a mission to rescue his daughter, Athena, from the wicked God of the Underworld, Neff. To survive the gauntlet of mythological foes, you must hunt down the three-headed wolves that inhabit each stage and collect the Spirit Balls that they release. The Spirit Balls increase your strength and allow you to transform into a variety of forms, including a Werewolf, Weredragon, Werebear, Weretiger and the ultimate form, the Golden Werewolf. Each creature possesses powerful attacks to help bring an end to Neff's scheme.
So is this the Genesis version or arcade version? It seems to be priced too high to be Genesis.

radcliff

VideoMan said:
So is this the Genesis version or arcade version? It seems to be priced too high to be Genesis.

Genesis version is already available for 800 points. This must be the arcade version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom