• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Rubberbanding is one the most irritating, rage-inducing game mechanics the universe has ever known. It isn't fair, it is cheap and it because of it your skills and speed are not rewarded.

It kept me from enjoying games like Motorstorm. What's wrong with racing games that reward your skill and track knowledge?

THANK YOU.

*ahem*

Yes, this. You described it perfectly.

Rubberbanding is one the most irritating, rage-inducing game mechanics the universe has ever known. It isn't fair, it is cheap and it because of it your skills and speed are not rewarded.

It kept me from enjoying games like Motorstorm. What's wrong with racing games that reward your skill and track knowledge?

There's nothing wrong with that. But as a racing fan you really shouldn't expect it. AI is progressed very little over the years in racing games. That's what leads to rubber banding. It's an easy solution to a problem that no one has been able to crack (quality AI in a racing game). No one will deny that it's a shitty reason for having rubber banding. But it is the lesser evil in this case. That's why some of us just accept it. It'll just remain part of the genre until someone finally figures out how to create the AI that all of us want for the genre. Constantly competitive but always fair.

With that said, it can be handled well. I can't remember finding myself annoyed with Hot Pursuit's rubber banding. It was certainly there, but you could still easily win if you knew the layout to a race. So they do reward you for knowing where to go and for not crashing too much. It wasn't like some racing games where you'd constantly be swapping first and second place because the AI car would constantly jump ahead of you.

Rubberbanding is one the most irritating, rage-inducing game mechanics the universe has ever known. It isn't fair, it is cheap and because of it your skills and speed are not rewarded.

See my previous post on this. I hated the AI in the first two Motorstorm games with a passion, and it literally ruined those games for me. Never finished either of them. Those were textbook examples of rubberbanding handled poorly.

I've finished every single racer Criterion has made, and that's because they do rubberbanding about as well as it can be done.

So because other games have bad AI, it's excusable for this one to?

Develop good AI. I hate rubber banding.

I'm intrigued. How exactly do they implement it?

I don't know exactly, I just know that it always feels fair. It ramps up very evenly, and as you get better the challenge goes up with your skills.

Gravijah

i don't really mind rubber banding in arcade racers, as long as it's not overly cheap. plus, in a game where you're going to crash all the time and so is the computer, you kinda need it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So because other games have bad AI, it's excusable for this one to?

Develop good AI. I hate rubber banding.

I'm intrigued. How exactly do they implement it?
"Good AI" is not well defined. How good should good AI be? Should they run a perfect race every time? How often should they make mistakes? If there's s a wide skill level gap between the player and the AI then the race just won't be exciting.

I do think that the last stretch should be a rubberband free zone, because if you're ahead at that point you earned it.

Criterion have had rubber banding in every game they've made. The difference is that these guys are smart, and thus their rubber banding is handled intelligently. Meaning that it's not as blatantly obvious or as annoying as it is in most games.

Saying that rubberbanding is handed intelligently is saying something like 'Team Nora in Final Fantasy XIII is übercool' or 'a Republican president is okay because Romney is intelligent'.

It'll just remain part of the genre until someone finally figures out how to create the AI that all of us want for the genre. Constantly competitive but always fair.

Constantly competitive racing is a part of rubber-banding, and that's why developers implement it.

It's stupid. I don't care if I win by 30 seconds. If I've earned it, that's how it should be.

That's also why there are difficulty levels. If you're good enough to race on Hard, good for you. If you want an easier time you can select a lower difficulty level.

Gravijah

Constantly competitive racing is a part of rubber-banding, and that's why developers implement it.

It's stupid. I don't care if I win by 30 seconds. If I've earned it, that's how it should be.

That's also why there are difficulty levels. If you're good enough to race on Hard, good for you. If you want an easier time you can select a lower difficulty level.

but how do you handle crashing? if you've crashed the other cars, which isn't hard since it's part of these types of games, you've effectively disabled them for the entire race. if you've been crashed, there's no way you're going to catch up.

Well said good Sir.

That is exactly the reason that, all those times I followed the hype and bought an arcade racer, after two weeks I stopped playing and got back to Gran Turismo games and old gems like Grand Prix 2, Indycar Racing 2 and Grand Prix Legends.

From all those arcade racers I could only tolerate and enjoy Road Rash 2 (Genesis), Lotus Turbo Challenge (Genesis), NFS1 (PC), Hyper Rally (MSX) and Outrun (PS3).

but how do you handle crashing? if you've crashed the other cars, which isn't hard since it's part of these types of games, you've effectively disabled them for the entire race. if you've been crashed, there's no way you're going to catch up.

Then you lose, depending on the difficulty selected.

If it's on hard, one crash may ruin your chance at victory. On easy, since the other racers aren't that great to begin with, you may have a shot to catch up.

aristotle

The rubber-banding in Criterion's games is indeed smart. I would constantly win by at least 10 seconds in BO:p because I took shortcuts where as the AI would take the established route. Which is how it should be. If I stay "on course" It would be neck and neck. If I strayed for the shortest possible drive, I won easily because I outplayed the AI. It seems that some people in here think of rubber banding being the same in all racers (Motorstorm) when Criterion has proven with their several past games that they flat out know what they're doing. Criterion is one of the best developers this generation for a reason.
Even if I may not buy this game on Day 1.

KePoW

Banned

Then go play some sim racers, there are plenty of those. It's accepted knowledge that arcade racers are a different genre, and they all have rubber-band AI to some extent.

Don't get me wrong, I like sims too. Forza 4 is my favorite racing game to date. But I sure don't go into a full arcade racer without expecting rubber-banding, so I don't know what you're thinking.

Stop asking logical questions.

If it's on hard, one crash may ruin your chance at victory. On easy, since the other racers aren't that great to begin with, you may have a shot to catch up.

I'm just glad Criterion is developing this game, and not you, because I know they're gonna make it fun.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

The core problem is that a battle racer is at its best when you're battling other cars. You can't do that if you have a large distance gain or deficit the whole race. The AI cars might as well not even be there in that case.

Constantly competitive racing is the nature of real racing. It's rare that you'll see large blowouts like you see in some racing games. That's what some of us want, but right now rubber band AI is the only thing that can get close to that.

This live IGN stream sucks because the IGN editor with the controller in his hand likes playing in first person view.

Who plays a game like this in first person? :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amazon.com just made the keys available for preloading, looks like the PC version is a bit bigger than the console versions
t9rVH.png

not so much bigger that you'd expect 1080p videos or super high res textures though..

iNvid02

hmm, hot pursuit was 8gb and the run was almost 16gb

maybe they borrowed some of that skyrim super compression tech

This IGN stream is so painful. So far here are some of the inaccurate statements made by the 3 guys, and not one of them challenged these statements upon hearing them.

"The damage is not just appearance based. My car was going slower when it was seriously damaged".

"I don't think the Burnout games prior to Paradise had a third person view. Maybe I just don't remember, but I don't think they did".

"I'm disappointed they shifted away from takedowns". *said as takedowns are occurring on screen*

hmm, hot pursuit was 8gb and the run was almost 16gb

maybe they borrowed some of that skyrim super compression tech

I doubt it. I'd be more inclined to believe other devs just aren't as efficient, and especially when it comes to the PC version.

I'm just glad Criterion is developing this game, and not you, because I know they're gonna make it fun.

lol

Constantly competitive racing is the nature of real racing. It's rare that you'll see large blowouts like you see in some racing games. That's what some of us want, but right now rubber band AI is the only thing that can get close to that.

True, but I want to earn my victory and not have it handed to me. And that goes for real life too.

Orca

Wish I knew a Walmart Slacker. :/

The guy opened the box while I was looking for Skylanders for my daughter. He cut through the 'do not sell before' sticker but apparently didn't bother to read it. I asked for a copy and he rang it through with no problem.

Orca

First impression wasn't really positive. The first two or three cars I drove were really heavy feeling for turning, and pivoting back and forth with the stick felt laggy. It wasn't until I got into the Jaguar XKR that it felt responsive to the wheel. Then I found the Atom 500 V8 and MAN is that thing fast. Still felt like it locks into straight-line driving more than past Need for Speed games and I didn't find drifting as easy or fun as in Hot Pursuit 2, which I've been playing a bunch of lately.

Smashed a couple of billboards while driving around. Some challenging jumps there I think, and it's funny how they replace the billboard with a wanted image that shows your Gamertag pic. Tons of traffic on the roads, which is both positive or negative depending on what you're looking for. Tough to really get cruising when there's vehicles constantly coming at you, but maybe I should drive in the proper lanes for a change.

The sense of speed from the behind the car view is okay, but not great. The bumper cam is really smooth though and good sense of speed. I'll put up a couple pics I took before switching out my recording setup to see if the lag was because of the HDMI switch - as I figured though, it wasn't.

There's a really annoying stutter that crops up in the menu, but only in the Settings menu. As soon as you go to that tab, the framerate drops and the music stutters.

The billboards you jump through are all EA studios, at least that I've seen so far.

Racing towards the sun is annoying. Come out of a tunnel that's aimed towards the sun and you can't see a damn thing.

Album - those were taken with the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 that I just got to try out. I'll switch back to the Intensity later to see if it gets higher quality shots.

Thanx for your first impressions.

Any criterion devs on Gaf? Cause i have got to ask..: is there ANY chance of you guys giving the Wii-U version some extra AA??

Thanks Orca. Those audio stutters sound very similar to what I've experienced with Hot Pursuit on the 360.

Think I'm set on my PS3 purchase now.

Glad to see criterion got HDR lighting on the 360-it was gimped on The Run. thanks for the Pics and keep the impressions coming.
I'm sure once you get the mods on the cars they will handle better.

Amon37

I'm still playing BL2 but I can't stop going into this thread and now ill have to buy the game and split time, I love me some criterion racing.

Top Bottom