• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

crispyben

What's the lie?
The blog post itself mentions they had to make compromises to make the game run on the Vita, which is fine given the difference in platforms.
What were the main challenges you met during development?
Matt Webster: You just run across performance challenges. Some of those are fundamental, which you learn to overcome as development progresses, and others you have to make some compromises.

What kind of compromises are we talking about exactly?
Matt Webster: It is exactly the same game [as the PlayStation 3 version] apart from traffic density and number of players online. But I think that the asynchronous play is actually going to be more important.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can handle that. I would think it would be expected. The experience is basically 1:1 minus the fact that it's on a little screen. I don't expect every texture to be as sharp.

zugzug

how on earth are you having trouble with PS3 coding that you have to make consessions. Wasn't the PS3 touted as being so much better if you only knew how to work on the damn thing correctly. Thats your fault EA not the PS3 fault especially this many years into the system. *is boggled*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
how on earth are you having trouble with PS3 coding that you have to make consessions. Wasn't the PS3 touted as being so much better if you only knew how to work on the damn thing correctly. Thats your fault EA not the PS3 fault especially this many years into the system. *is boggled*
What are you referring to?

"We’ll use the touch screen for changing music tracks and in some parts of the interface but the rest of it… you have to use those things where they serve a purpose, otherwise they’re just a gimmick..."

Do not force me to use any touch or gyro functions! Great answer and many thanks Matt Webster. Looking forward to support Criterion by buying your game.

WAT

zugzug

meh i was talking about crispybens quotes 2 posts above my posting where the guy is talking of difficulty coding for both Vita and PS3. Figured the posts were close enough you could put it together without me quoting.

crispyben

meh i was talking about crispybens quotes 2 posts above my posting where the guy is talking of difficulty coding for both Vita and PS3. Figured the posts were close enough you could put it together without me quoting.
The quote was about the Vita version, which they had to make compromises on, not the PS3 version.

VanWinkle

He didn't say anything about PS3 being difficult to code for. Unless it was in the blog entry and not the part he quoted.

This lack of Vita info is really disheartening at this point. I was all in for day1 but now I think I might grab AC instead unless I get a real trailer, review, something by Tuesday.

This lack of Vita info is really disheartening at this point. I was all in for day1 but now I think I might grab AC instead unless I get a real trailer, review, something by Tuesday.

If by "info", do you just mean direct feed video? Because other than that we know exactly what it's going to offer. The same experience as the console versions.

Just got the 360 copy. Traffic feels really bare and the aliasing is pretty bad. I also noticed the game is only 3.75GB after I installed it to the 360. Surely they could of fitted more stuff in with 3GB spare.

This sounds not good. Only 3.75 GB, crazy. Shame that there is no demo.

Criterion has said that the Vita experience will be nearly identical to the console versions. The entire social aspect is there as well. The off screen footage we have gotten online proved the game is looking gorgeous.

Edited.

OmegaZero

I'm sorry, off screen footage.

Oh, got my hopes up for a sec.

Anyway, at least we know that the Vita version will be around 3GB or less. Maybe I'll get the digital version instead of the retail.
Anyone know if there's a Limited Edition for the Vita? I don't think there is but just wanted to check.

apesh1t

Banned
Does anyone know if when the races start there's a set path or is it just a finish? Also would the side streets be blocked off?

I'm thinking, like is it like Burnout Paradise where it got annoying because either there was no set path and minimal onscreen prompts? Or is it like say the first Most wanted where everything was blocked off and you could just focus on the racing not the path?

Wanny

So I'm getting Burnout Paradise vibes from it. Am I right or wrong? If yes, I'm actually thinking about buying it! Loved Burnout Paradise!

aristotle

Since there will seemingly be no BO:p 2, my only question is: Does this control like Paradise (arcadey) or is it more sim? I can't find any info about that aspect so far.

Since there will seemingly be no BO:p 2, my only question is: Does this control like Paradise (arcadey) or is it more sim? I can't find any info about that aspect so far.

There will be another Burnout game. Criterion has said so. Probably on next gen consoles in 2-3 years.

This game is supposed to handle a little more realistically than Paradise, but still quite arcadey.

Cameras. Are there other cam views than just the "see your car"one?

Their previous game offered third person, hood cam, and bumper cam. I suspect this does the same.

I there going to be a PC demo before launch?

My PC seems to be a bit CPU limited which lead to NFS Hot Pursuit being around 30fs.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with PC+Vita versions or PS3+Vita versions.

Wonko_C

People actually like Burnout Paradise's non-handling? because that's what it was to me. It felt like I moved a floating camera that scrolled forwards, nothing that resembled a car in the least.

This comment was an hyperbolic version of what I remember how Burnout felt like 3 years ago when I played it, and doesn't represent actual experience which may vary. Discretion is advised.

.nimrod

Amazon.com just made the keys available for preloading, looks like the PC version is a bit bigger than the console versions
t9rVH.png

"Playability: The cars are fast and loose, and the rubber-banding is a necessary evil that helps make races intense"

Eww, get off EA's ballsack, Game Informer. It sounds like you're justifying.

Rubber banding is the absolute worst.

Criterion have had rubber banding in every game they've made. The difference is that these guys are smart, and thus their rubber banding is handled intelligently. Meaning that it's not as blatantly obvious or as annoying as it is in most games.

"Playability: The cars are fast and loose, and the rubber-banding is a necessary evil that helps make races intense"

Eww, get off EA's ballsack, Game Informer. It sounds like you're justifying.

Rubber banding is the absolute worst.

But are they wrong? How many racing games (and especially open world racing games) can you think of that have legitimately good AI? You usually end up with bad AI that isn't competitive (which leads to races that you win by 30 seconds, or several minutes in some cases) or rubber band AI. The rubber band AI at least makes sure that every race is challenging. It's extremely cheap, but it can be done in a way where it isn't annoying.

saladine1

But are they wrong? How many racing games (and especially open world racing games) can you think of that have legitimately good AI? You usually end up with bad AI that isn't competitive (which leads to races that you by 30 seconds, or several minutes in some cases) or rubber band AI. The rubber band AI at least makes sure that every race is challenging. It's extremely cheap, but it can be done in a way where it isn't annoying.

I agree.

Obviously, rubberbanding in sim racers is an absolute sin, but arcade racers is forgivable given the nature of the game.
I'm not too fussed about this at all..

Gav47

Amazon.com just made the keys available for preloading, looks like the PC version is a bit bigger than the console versions
http://i.imgur.com/t9rVH.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow, thats way smaller than I expected but I guess theres no fmv or voice acting to take up loads of space.

Rubberbanding is one the most irritating, rage-inducing game mechanics the universe has ever known. It isn't fair, it is cheap and because of it your skills and speed are not rewarded.

It kept me from enjoying games like Motorstorm. What's wrong with racing games that reward your skill and track knowledge?

But are they wrong? How many racing games (and especially open world racing games) can you think of that have legitimately good AI?

So because other games have bad AI, it's excusable for this one to?

Develop good AI. I hate rubber banding.

Criterion have had rubber banding in every game they've made. The difference is that these guys are smart, and thus their rubber banding is handled intelligently. Meaning that it's not as blatantly obvious or as annoying as it is in most games.

I'm intrigued. How exactly do they implement it?

Top Bottom