• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain mansplaining to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gendered insults suck. We should be ashamed of the ones we already have. I have zero interest in the creation or proliferation of more of them. Hope to see many of the existing ones heading towards non-use by the time I die hopefully, and hope that no new ones gain any actual steam as well.

"Bu....but this scenario actually happens!"

Yeah I know it does. Doesn't change my opinion that gendered insults suck.

it's not really an insult though?

also this is a pretty convenient stance to take regardless. men are being called out on their bullshit but let's not forget that the real crime is reminding everyone about gender.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is the best game ever.

I think I posted this before but I was at my fighting game hang out and a guy just goes and assumes that I don't know SFV exists and it comes out in literally two months. He's trying to explain the buttons and shit. "This is light punch, this is medium punch..." So I just play "tee hee I'm dumb" game.

He looked devastated when I destroyed him.

Like, for some reason he thinks I'm not there to fight other people, that I'm probably some other dudes girlfriend or whatever, but still.

Perhaps I'll try this the next time someone assumes I don't know something that I do. Is it still fun without the payoff of proving them wrong at the end?

Atomski

I've always taken it like when talking to a IT guy he always explains things in a way like he's talking down to me. Like I should know these things but I don't cause I'm not in IT.

But thing is I'm guy.. so I think he's just being a ass instead of mansplaining.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've always taken it like when talking to a IT guy he always explains things in a way like he's talking down to me. Like I should know these things but I don't cause I'm not in IT.

But thing is I'm guy.. so I think he's just being a ass instead of mansplaining.
Its more that a lot of people are fucking dumb when it comes to IT.
I try to figure out how smart the people are I talk to and speak to them on a fitting level, but this work not always.

yeah context is everything. women are assumed to be incompetent because they are women. that's the root of why mansplaining is particularly bad. IT workers just have a general contempt for all of humanity.

men can mansplain to other men. it just doesn't happen as often, because they see men as equals and that allows them to act in a completely different but equally despicable way.

guy talk

Ordlan

Banned

If you're an effeminate man or other people consider you to be feminine, it could be mansplaining. The idea that only women can be negatively affected by misogyny is a popular misconception.

It's more likely the guy was just being a regular condescending jerk, though.

Basically its usually used as an excuse to shut up a man when an actual conversation about equality comes up

but if you talk about mens rights those same people will feel free to jump down your neck telling you about your privilege

Basically its usually used as an excuse to shut up a man when an actual conversation about equality comes up

but if you talk about mens rights those same people will feel free to jump down your neck telling you about your privilege

I take it you're a firm supporter of men's rights?

On topic: 99% of "mansplaining" does not come up in equality conversations.

Lego Boss

men can mansplain to other men. it just doesn't happen as often, because they see men as equals and that allows them to act in a completely different but equally despicable way.

guy talk

Really? That just strikes me as someone who is patronising asshole. Not sure if it can be reasoned out by saying 'it's OK to be condescending when it's man'. An asshole is an asshole is an asshole after all no?

Dice//

Banned
Kotaku in Action's subreddit is having a field day with the Notch stuff going down.

Besides the bit of it in here, and hopefully i haven't spoken too soon, I'm kinda glad that Gaf isn't on that. Sounds exhausting...and annoying.

I dont keep up with MRAs.

but I do believe in equality, I feel that we are pretty close to equality in this country.
But we still have a long way to go. Equal pay is still an issue. The assumptions we make about women is still an issue. The problem with being close is that it is often around then that progress slows. So, hopefully we can keep pushing.

Dice//

Banned

but I do believe in equality, I feel that we are pretty close to equality in this country.

Oh it's great we're talking about it, and it's still an issue, and we're working to making it better. But just recently, and with a ton of push back.

And yes, big overt versions of sexism are somewhat in the past (with a lot of conditions on me saying that), but it's a lot of the "little things" that are still keeping women and ethnic minorities back.

...the fact that this topic and the "wife/last name" one went on for over 10 pages is an example of that I think.

But we still have a long way to go. Equal pay is still an issue. The assumptions we make about women is still an issue. The problem with being close is that it is often around then that progress slows. So, hopefully we can keep pushing.

It is illegal for a business to pay someone less because of their race, gender or sexual orientation. Studies online show that on average, women work less than men. Which means they could make less in a pay period.
We are now in a transitioning period where we see women working more often and men staying home to take care of kids. So we should soon see it even out. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Is that why women (and men) can't discuss gender equality on any media site on the internet without waves of men yelling at them?

Oh and another thread right here on GAF about women taking their husband's last name had quite a few dudes who wouldn't marry a girl unless she abandoned her family name for theirs.

Oh and domestic violence and rapes occur an insanely disproportionate amount more to women than men.

I won't even bring up socioeconomic disparities.

It is illegal for a business to pay someone less because of their race, gender or sexual orientation. Studies online show that on average, women work less than men. Which means they could make less in a pay period.
We are now in a transitioning period where we see women working more often and men staying home to take care of kids. So we should soon see it even out. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Being illegal does not mean it doesn't happen. And which women work less? How much less? Why? Which studies?

The problem is that "working less" is not a good barometer for success or skill. "Working more" does not mean the person is a good employee.

But I hope you are right and that things even out, but I don't see that happening soon.

Sianos

The term originally rose to describe the phenomena where men would interject to tell women how they should feel about women's issues such as reproductive healthcare or sexism against women. Hence the development of the term "mansplaining" to highlight the absurdity of the common situation of men explaining to women how they should feel about being women and issues related to being a woman, despite they themselves having no experience with being a woman since.

The semantic cluster has since grown to include instances where men generally act condescendingly towards women and assume they lack knowledge based on their gender. Also there is some overlap with the classic math generalization.

The term can be incorrectly used by fools to silence others, and the correct response to that is to cut off the motte and bailey fallacy at the pass and address the discrepancy between the denotation of the word and the situation of its deploymemt. Similarly, this tactic can be used by those who perform the opposite and try to play dumb towards the actual denotation of the word when it is being relevant my used by pointing to fools who used it incorrectly in the past.

It's a useful term with a tad of snark injected when used correctly, in my opinion.

IrishNinja

The frequency of this is utterly unquantifiable, though. And when you start looking for it, you're just asking for confirmation bias to kick in.

a dollar says this guy was a libertarian

CjBW50PVAAIIUXz.jpg

such a classy
fedora wearing neckbeard
guy

rJgNbVM.png

haha, wow
thanks for minecraft, notch - you can keep the rest of that mess

kavanf1

Gendered insults suck. We should be ashamed of the ones we already have. I have zero interest in the creation or proliferation of more of them. Hope to see many of the existing ones heading towards non-use by the time I die hopefully, and hope that no new ones gain any actual steam as well.

"Bu....but this scenario actually happens!"

Yeah I know it does. Doesn't change my opinion that gendered insults suck.
Amen to this. I won't have any part in increasing divisiveness between people. It does more harm than good.

vordhosbn

Banned
Really? That just strikes me as someone who is patronising asshole. Not sure if it can be reasoned out by saying 'it's OK to be condescending when it's man'. An asshole is an asshole is an asshole after all no?

No, we need specific words when men are assholes to women, not vice versa, and not when men are assholes to men. Get with the program.

No, we need specific words when men are assholes to women, not vice versa, and not when men are assholes to men. Get with the program.

Ah cool so when men talk down to women because of their gender/use genedered slurs/assault them verbally we should just chalk it up to them being "Assholes" and move on?

Forget the whole hate speech/crime thing. None of that stuff is real anyway!

Is that why women (and men) can't discuss gender equality on any media site on the internet without waves of men yelling at them?

most of the time when I see a discussion break out, the feminist is usually the first to block or mute or turn off comments. which stifles conversation.

so it seems some turn to more extreme methods to get the attention..

Specific terms are often given to actions that show up repeatedly by a community that cares about or is affected by it. Hence, women receiving "help" and "explanations" from men created a slang term to quickly codify the event. As such, the word helped me notice my own penchant to try to give my wisdom to others. So, now I ask and don't just assume I know more.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Seems my definition is wrong. If it's the definition being put forth then I consider it a joke. Seems like gender shaming coating to the simple word of being condescending?

most of the time when I see a discussion break out, the feminist is usually the first to block or mute or turn off comments. which stifles conversation.

so it seems some turn to more extreme methods to get the attention..

The lightbulb is almost turning on for you!

The "feminist" is the first to block or mute someone because those "debates" are just precursors to attacks that then quickly turn into hate speech, and possibly (frequently) attempts to harm the person in real life.

I got into an argument with a GamerGater on Twitter, and next thing I knew the guy was using my real life name and my wife's name and making threats.

Now imagine if I was an outspoken woman instead of some nobody-dude on Twitter.

Are they not assholes? I have no idea what you're even trying to say.

Ok maybe this is hard for you - but somebody who is mean to other people for *no* reason is an asshole

Somebody who is mean to people because they are female and/or a minority is prejudiced and doing so out of "Hate"

Prejudice has been used as a weapon for centuries to keep women and minorities down

Is this clicking at all yet?

Being an asshole =/ being a bigot

such a classy fedora wearing neckbeard guy

Soo question, if one were to refer to a radical feminist as a "fat pink haired" girl, how well would that go down?

this is just a question and I am in no way using this term on anyone.

I have also, not once in my life worn a fedora and I shave my neck exclusively

Soo question, if one were to refer to a radical feminist as a "fat pink haired" girl, how well would that go down?

this is just a question and I am in no way using this term on anyone.

I have also, not once in my life worn a fedora and I shave my neck exclusively

Why did you bring weight into this though

The lightbulb is almost turning on for you!

The "feminist" is the first to block or mute someone because those "debates" are just precursors to attacks that then quickly turn into hate speech, and possibly (frequently) attempts to harm the person in real life.

I got into an argument with a GamerGater on Twitter, and next thing I knew the guy was using my real life name and my wife's name and making threats.

Now imagine if I was an outspoken woman instead of some nobody-dude on Twitter.

it should make no differences of your gender, threats are threats and need to stop. not an easy task.

but I will tell you that I have started a conversation with SJWs that literally start the hate speech out the bat, all because I follow jontron on twitter..and dont get me started on why he is a target for them.

that's not the stereotype of a feminist lol

how is that exactly not a stereotype? I have seen it used quite a bit.

it should make no differences of your gender, threats are threats and need to stop. not an easy task.

but I will tell you that I have started a conversation with SJWs that literally start the hate speech out the bat, all because I follow jontron on twitter..and dont get me started on why he is a target for them.

And there it is

Sylas

Shocking. Extremists are assholes and will always be assholes. You're right--threats need to stop regardless of gender. What's your point?

how is that exactly not a stereotype? I have seen it used quite a bit.

JonTron gets targeted because he supported GamerGate for a brief period, and because he can be kind of an ass at times.

What was the conversation about, and were they currently in the middle of being dog piled for reasons relating to being a social justice warrior, as you call it?

Sylas

there what is? is that a bad word now? people are quick to label some as 'gamergaters' whats the difference?

SJW is often used in a derogatory manner to attack a variety of people that are trying to raise awareness about societal issues and enact change. It's a blanket statement that doesn't actually mean anything--unlike "gamergater" which outright states that you're on board with a specific movement that's centered around hate and abuse.

It doesn't make it right to call someone a "gamergater" unless they are explicitly agreeing with the ideals that the movement itself has put forth--which again is based purely in harassment, abuse and hate--but SJW is a catchall term that means absolutely nothing.

What was the conversation about, and were they currently in the middle of being dog piled for reasons relating to being a social justice warrior, as you call it?

I do think this is unfair. People can be assholes regardless of their social creed, and people can be absolutely horrendous regardless of their views. This isn't a "both sides" argument, just an acknowledgement that people can hide behind beliefs.

there what is? is that a bad word now? people are quick to label some as 'gamergaters' whats the difference?

"Label"?

The guy had a "GG" logo as a twitter icon and started making threats against my family.

As for other people here (you must be new here... not surprising) - we have waves of GGers show up whenever a thread like this appears... who all happen to be new/junior members "just asking questions".

--

Side note: I have yet to see anyone use the term "SJW" unironically that wasn't also a bigoted asshole in some form.

Anyone that thinks that social justice is a bad thing is clearly not the cream of humanity.

SJW is often used in a derogatory manner to attack a variety of people that are trying to raise awareness about societal issues and enact change. It's a blanket statement that doesn't actually mean anything--unlike "gamergater" which outright states that you're on board with a specific movement that's centered around hate and abuse.

It doesn't make it right to call someone a "gamergater" unless they are explicitly agreeing with the ideals that the movement itself has put forth--which again is based purely in harassment, abuse and hate--but SJW is a catchall term that means absolutely nothing.

This too ^

I always love the inevitable post that pretends to be about equality but always ignores the patriarchal structure in American society but instead makes a bee line to how mean women can be to men! It's always at the end of the day "think about the men!"

as a tall man myself I am getting a little tired of the no tall men hashtag.

You guys are the proto-assholes! Ugh, with all your tallness and like tallness! Ugh scust!

my privilege gets checked every time I go clothes shopping. : (

also you short people need to dust the top of your fridges more often.
I can't tell you how many times I have hit my head on something.
I do think this is unfair. People can be assholes regardless of their social creed, and people can be absolutely horrendous regardless of their views. This isn't a "both sides" argument, just an acknowledgement that people can hide behind beliefs.
My intent is not to be unfair, but one should not judge an entire movement because of one exchange. And I agree, people can be assholes.

JonTron gets targeted because he supported GamerGate for a brief period, and because he can be kind of an ass at times.

he literally just expressed dislike of Zoe Quinn and the person she is personality wise. but people jump to claiming misogyny. automatically being labelled as a gamergater because of this and only this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom