• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Hands On

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Did Bozon answer any more questions over at the IGN Boards?

I have 2 insider accounts (one paid for, one adopted) but both are permabanned from the boards (don't ask).

Dr.Hadji

*edit* nm

*edit* nm on the nm. Do you people speaking "balance" even know what you're talking about? I mean, what experience are you speaking from? Guess work?

Testicular Sound Express said:
SSBM at its lowest level is not balanced. When you get into the advanced 1v1 battle portion of the game you can win with anyone regardless of your opponent.

And that's why five characters take top honors at every major tourney, year after year.

But seriously, Melee isn't nearly as unbalanced as people make it out to be, and to this day people are finding new ways to push low-tier characters. I've seen one or two up-and-coming DK's that are pretty nuts. It is indeed quite middle-of-the-road when it comes to balance-- some fighting games are far worse.

Artanisix

jiangjunizzy said:
SSBM is about as unbalanced as you can get in a game

No, that would be MvC2.

But seriously, Melee isn't nearly as unbalanced as people make it out to be, and to this day people are finding new ways to push low-tier characters. I've seen one or two up-and-coming DK's that are pretty nuts.

Have any links to videos of these DKs? I'm intrigued...

Mr Jared

Oblivion said:
How come not a single preview talked about the music?

Because in the conditions we were in, it was pretty hard to hear it. Here are my impressions.

I hated playing with just the Wii Remote, which sucks because now I have to buy a controller. As with every Nintendo franchise, you immediately know upon hearing the name whether you like it or not. It's not so much different as it is a refinement.

I played Bowser like, 90% of the time. It was awesome.

Edit: Also, I really don't think Meta Knight is as over powered as folks are making him out to be. A ton of folks were using him but ... meh ... I was having bigger problems with Fox. He seems faster to me and his Final Smash is hilariously big, stupid and totally rad all at the same time.

maniac80

This game sounds excellent.

I still wonder how the controls will affect this game, even though there is optimism about the wiimote, it just doesn't sound practical. I hope we don't have to buy four classic controllers to get a gome on with our friends, hope the wiimote comes through.

Mr Jared

maniac80 said:
This game sounds excellent.

I still wonder how the controls will affect this game, even though there is optimism about the wiimote, it just doesn't sound practical. I hope we don't have to buy four classic controllers to get a gome on with our friends, hope the wiimote comes through.

On the plus side, you can change the buttons however you please. On the negative ... you're going to map that B button to something and it's going to suck.

MGrant

jiangjunizzy said:

vMarvel_Vs._Capcom_2__New_Age_Of_Heroes.jpg

sup guys

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
alkaline black said:
On the plus side, you can change the buttons however you please. On the negative ... you're going to map that B button to something and it's going to suck.
Can't wait until one of the juniors tries to jump on your tag.

How many total rounds were you able to play for?

Mr Jared

Artanisix said:
I read through your impressions and you said Bowser's been changed? Can you elaborate on that?

His forward+special has been replaced by a command throw. So, instead of doing the claws, he grabs an opponent, does a backflip and belly flops on top of them. You can guide Bowser around while he's doing it and try and land on other characters. After he slams them, he recovers with a bounce in which you can either butt stomp (down+special) or breathe fire. I'm not sure if you can air dodge out of it, but I'm willing to bet that's a yes.

Other than that he seemed the same. The recovery time of his moves felt a bit quicker, but that's about the biggest difference.

JohnTinker said:
Can't wait until one of the juniors tries to jump on your tag.

How many total rounds were you able to play for?

lawl. Oh geez ... lots. I was afraid of it cutting into my "everything else" time :(

WastingPenguins said:
And that's why five characters take top honors at every major tourney, year after year.

But seriously, Melee isn't nearly as unbalanced as people make it out to be, and to this day people are finding new ways to push low-tier characters. I've seen one or two up-and-coming DK's that are pretty nuts. It is indeed quite middle-of-the-road when it comes to balance-- some fighting games are far worse.
well every fighting game has characters that are better then others. In order to win with lower tier characters you need to learn all of their weaknesses and compensate for the with skill and experience. With high tier characters there is a lot less of that. I mean when playing in a big tourney for money you want to win. The best way to win is be good with the best characters. DK is difficult to play well and without short hopping and L-Cancelling he is nearly unplayable. However, once you learn how to get around how slow he is you can potentially dominate with him.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Any videos of fox yet ? I'm curious to see what he plays like.
Hopefully not like in melee.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
alkaline black said:
Because in the conditions we were in, it was pretty hard to hear it. Here are my impressions.

I hated playing with just the Wii Remote, which sucks because now I have to buy a controller. As with every Nintendo franchise, you immediately know upon hearing the name whether you like it or not. It's not so much different as it is a refinement.

I played Bowser like, 90% of the time. It was awesome.

Edit: Also, I really don't think Meta Knight is as over powered as folks are making him out to be. A ton of folks were using him but ... meh ... I was having bigger problems with Fox. He seems faster to me and his Final Smash is hilariously big, stupid and totally rad all at the same time.

Thanks for that.

Also, I could be confusing you with someone else, but I thought you didn't like Smash Bros.?

PkunkFury

alkaline black said:
His forward+special has been replaced by a command throw. So, instead of doing the claws, he grabs an opponent, does a backflip and belly flops on top of them. You can guide Bowser around while he's doing it and try and land on other characters. After he slams them, he recovers with a bounce in which you can either butt stomp (down+special) or breathe fire. I'm not sure if you can air dodge out of it, but I'm willing to bet that's a yes.

Other than that he seemed the same. The recovery time of his moves felt a bit quicker, but that's about the biggest difference.

you sound like you knew how to play Melee. Did you get to try wavedashing, L-canceling, or teching at all?

Also, did you notice Bowser not flinching against certain weaker attacks? I think Sakurai said big characters would be able to do this in an update. And I imagine gigaBowser was awesome

Mr Jared

PkunkFury said:
you sound like you knew how to play Melee. Did you get to try wavedashing, L-canceling, or teching at all?

Also, did you notice Bowser not flinching against certain weaker attacks? I think Sakurai said big characters would be able to do this in an update. And I imagine gigaBowser was awesome

I don't know how to do that sort of stuff. And it's not that I don't like Smash, its that I don't think it's a fighting game. I do enjoy playing it :X

Bowser is fairly immovable until stronger attacks are used. Stuff Links upwards slashing, however, seemed to mess him up pretty good. GigaBowser plays exactly like regular bowser, only he's freaking huge, can't be stopped and practically any attack from him sends characters flying like crazy. So yeah, its pretty awesome.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Nice job with your write-up, Alkaline!

alkaline black said:

This move sounds awesome but... they got rid of his claw/bite attack!? :( Not that it was that effective, but it was so badass and fun :( Please tell me there is still some way for Bowser to grab other characters and chew on their faces! O_O

Speaking of old characters having new moves... did you notice any other examples of that? (Besides Mario with FLUDD, which we've known about for a bit.)

Thanks for the info!

Redd

jiangjunizzy said:

Wtf! Sure SSBM may not be as deep as Virtua Fighter and I wouldn't call it a fighter myself but dude that's just trollin.

Darkpen

Banned
Melee is only broken if you know how to play the game, like, REALLY WELL, mainly caused either by stage design or small glitches that are regularly exploited, but outside of that, its fairly well balanced.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
alkaline black said:
I don't know how to do that sort of stuff. And it's not that I don't like Smash, its that I don't think it's a fighting game. I do enjoy playing it :X

Bowser is fairly immovable until stronger attacks are used. Stuff Links upwards slashing, however, seemed to mess him up pretty good. GigaBowser plays exactly like regular bowser, only he's freaking huge, can't be stopped and practically any attack from him sends characters flying like crazy. So yeah, its pretty awesome.

Great preview Jared, I loved this part

These two components play a huge role in how Smash Bros Brawl is played, and they’re sure to upset the “professional” Smash players who refuse to have any fun.

btw a question, is Little Mac a 2D srite or was he remodeled in 3D? Thanks!

Zeed

Banned
Out of curiosity, just what exactly would the mouth-breathers that deny that Smash is a fighting game classify it as?

Darkpen said:
Melee is only broken if you know how to play the game, like, REALLY WELL, mainly caused either by stage design or small glitches that are regularly exploited, but outside of that, its fairly well balanced.

yes.. and i know how to play (im pretty average, but i use WD).. and quite frankly if you play against your friends who only ever play casually and pick someone like marth or falco or some stupid high tier character, the game usually ends with them not wanting to play anymore. i didnt really mean to say that brawl was completely unbalanced, however as it stands, its pretty poorly balanced in advanced play, especially if one utilizes the advanced play against others that do not. i think what i really meant was that if you learn how to utilize all the advanced techniques in the game, it creates such a landslide of an advantage that it demoralizes others that dont. (and remember, i am saying this with the assumption that we consider brawl a party game and not a fighter even tho i do)

Zeed

Banned
jiangjunizzy said:
i am saying this with the assumption that we consider brawl a party game
A party game? What the hell? Why, because it has items?

Mario Kart is not a racing game confirmed.

Dr.Hadji

These two components play a huge role in how Smash Bros Brawl is played, and they’re sure to upset the “professional” Smash players who refuse to have any fun.

Oh come on. Do all you guys get together and share notes on how to put a negative light on tourney players?

Mr Jared

MrCheez said:
Nice job with your write-up, Alkaline!

This move sounds awesome but... they got rid of his claw/bite attack!? :( Not that it was that effective, but it was so badass and fun :( Please tell me there is still some way for Bowser to grab other characters and chew on their faces! O_O

Speaking of old characters having new moves... did you notice any other examples of that? (Besides Mario with FLUDD, which we've known about for a bit.)

Thanks for the info!

Thanks. Yeah, as far as I know the claw/bite is gone. He bites with his normal throws though and he also has a normal throw where he tosses the other character on his back and spins around. I'm wasn't sure how to invoke specific throws (directions I'm guessing?) but there was one where he just bit a whole lot. Doing it as a special though is out.

btw a question, is Little Mac a 2D srite or was he remodeled in 3D? Thanks!

I only saw it for a second (I got distracted =() but I recall it being 2D like Excitebike and Advance Wars. This reminds me though ... the best was totally Nintendogs. It doesn't do anything but get in everyones way, but it's huge and totally hilarious. Someone got Nintendogs to pop up when the Final Smash ball appeared. Hilarity and suicides ensued.

Zeed said:
A party game? What the hell? Why, because it has items?

Mario Kart is not a racing game confirmed.

the vast majority of the people who like smash dont consider it as a game along the lines of tekken or street fighter but more like mario kart or power stone

Redd

jiangjunizzy said:
yes.. and i know how to play (im pretty average, but i use WD).. and quite frankly if you play against your friends who only ever play casually and pick someone like marth or falco or some stupid high tier character, the game usually ends with them not wanting to play anymore. i didnt really mean to say that brawl was completely unbalanced, however as it stands, its pretty poorly balanced in advanced play, especially if one utilizes the advanced play against others that do not. i think what i really meant was that if you learn how to utilize all the advanced techniques in the game, it creates such a landslide of an advantage that it demoralizes others that dont. (and remember, i am saying this with the assumption that we consider brawl a party game and not a fighter even tho i do)

Thats like all fighting games these days. Pros calls those demoralized players scrubs.

Zeed

Banned
jiangjunizzy said:
the vast majority of the people who like smash dont consider it as a game along the lines of tekken or street fighter
They don't have to.

But it's still a fighting game, that's plain fact.

Redd

jiangjunizzy said:
the vast majority of the people who like smash dont consider it as a game along the lines of tekken or street fighter but more like mario kart or power stone

I don't really consider it a fighting game but some people do. Smash is at Evo.

Eteric Rice

jiangjunizzy said:

Mario Kart and Power Stone > Tekken and Street Fighter.

Tristam

jiangjunizzy said:

?

It's a fighting game that plays differently from the "traditional" fighter. I don't know where this "party game" comes in -- is it because it's associated with parties? Halo am party game confirmed?

I certainly never played Smash Bros. at parties. I played the 1v1/4-stock/no items/limited stage selection tournament matches that virtually eliminated external factors and relied exclusively on player skill and reflex.

alkaline black said:
I only saw it for a second (I got distracted =() but I recall it being 2D like Excitebike and Advance Wars. This reminds me though ... the best was totally Nintendogs. It doesn't do anything but get in everyones way, but it's huge and totally hilarious. Someone got Nintendogs to pop up when the Final Smash ball appeared. Hilarity and suicides ensued.

ugh

some pixel assist characters are cool, but please Sakurai, not for all of them. Little Mac didnt get to be a playable character, which would have been amazing, but they could have atleast given him a nice 3D model.

I may be overreacting a bit.

ANYWAY youre detracting from my main point.

if you use wave dash, short hop, L cancel, your friends who dont do those things will hate you, and the charm of that game is beating the fuck out of each other, and if you just rape everyone anally without much effort, WHAT IS LOVE?

Tristam said:
?

It's a fighting game that plays differently from the "traditional" fighter. I don't know where this "party game" comes in -- is it because it's associated with parties? Halo am party game confirmed?

I certainly never played Smash Bros. at parties. I played the 1v1/4-stock/no items/limited stage selection tournament matches that virtually eliminated external factors and relied exclusively on player skill and reflex.

You know, this is a problem with a lot of Nintendo games.
They don't conform to normal genres, but instead, they form their own.

A_Rival

Eteric Rice said:
Mario Kart and Power Stone > Tekken and Street Fighter.

Yeah, Gran Turismo is a way better game than Kirby's Avalanche! Not to mention Tetris can't hold a candle to Tony Hawk Underground 2? :lol

Where did you come up with these ridiculous comparisons?

-A

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
alkaline black said:
Thanks. Yeah, as far as I know the claw/bite is gone. He bites with his normal throws though and he also has a normal throw where he tosses the other character on his back and spins around. I'm wasn't sure how to invoke specific throws (directions I'm guessing?) but there was one where he just bit a whole lot. Doing it as a special though is out.

Hm okay I'm pretty sure you couldn't bite people while holding them before, so I'm glad they kept the biting in somehow (though you could always toss them on the back of your shell and spin... and yes, different throws are done by pushing different directions after grabbing someone)

So did you try Ike at all? If so how was he, and what is his final smash? (I am pretty sure he is the only character on the demo who hasn't had his FS described...)

Again thanks for all the info, you have given me plenty of juicy tidbits to speculate over :)

Redd

jiangjunizzy said:
ANYWAY youre detracting from my main point.

if you use wave dash, short hop, L cancel, your friends who dont do those things will hate you, and the charm of that game is beating the fuck out of each other, and if you just rape everyone anally without much effort, WHAT IS LOVE?

Pop in third strike against a novice and they will quit outright as well. What's your point all fighters are like that against a novice.

Top Bottom